FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

North Korea and Sunlight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slowry View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Korea and Sunlight
    Posted: 01/04/2017 at 12:18pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xekTNHV0QBA&t

I found the above here:

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/blog

North Korean kids practicing.  I’ve been trying in recent weeks to learn more about that country, and few people would be surprised that they’re very short on electricity.  Also gasoline.  Many people starve to death.  It seems to be a fact that some people find a way to make a car operate by … burning wood, to give an idea of the level of desperation and “innovation” by individuals.

So when this video started, I immediately was noticing how bright this big room is, along with zero detail visible through any of the numerous windows.  There are a couple windows “closed off” yet it looks like electric bulbs are visible there.

I suggest you try to pay attention only to the light, the reflections, the shadows.  Is this really what a sunlit room looks like?  (I think we can mostly ignore the light fixtures.)  I’ll guess this is a room where tour groups are routinely brought.  I’m making this posting mostly because I see things like fairly strong shadows cast in opposing directions.

Feel free to generally limit responses to this specific (light) topic.  I don’t think any sane person will disagree about how it’s a terrible place for people to live.

Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 1:02pm
Nothing to write home about. When I was a kid watching the exclusive coverage of the closed training for the Atlanta Olympics on TV in HK, LGL and KLH were training inside a run-down hall. The room condition "seen" in the video above is all right.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 7:29pm
That's actually quite an ideal place for school kids to practice. I assume it's part of a school. The lighting is also more than adequate. Some of the schools I have been to in Japan have it a lot worse off than that (mine included).
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 9:00pm
How did those two young Caucasian dudes (in the background) get there? in an elementary school in North Korea?? Really? neither one of them is Dennis Rodman, so that option is out.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
slowry View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 10:55pm
There are tour groups allowing visitors to spend time in the country, hopefully this helps answer your question about caucasians.

http://reason.com/archives/2013/07/23/my-week-in-north-korea

slowry View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 1:30am
I never really gave much thought before as to exactly what direct sunlight coming in thru a window looks like, including what kind of shadows does it cast, compared to indirect.  But, I think that is the topic.  If my notions about about this direct/indirect thing are wrong -- what does it look like -- then I'm in error.

The strong shadow cast on the kid at 37 seconds.  While his body partly obscures a shadow on the wall cast by light coming thru the windows on the opposite wall.  The sun can cast shadows in opposing directions at the same time, and so near each other?

Try on Google Images "North Korea at night" for those who haven't seen that satellite image.

My theory about this video is a bit too wacky for me to mention.  I am not sure, that's why I posted here to get opinions.

Possibly there's someone on this forum from North Korea, or who has visited.  

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:46am
there is quite a lot of light coming in from the windows, while there does seem to be very little overhead lighting. The shadows and glare on the tables all seems to be consistent with rooms that are lit by outside lighting. The problem with all that light coming in from the windows though is the glare. Sometimes you lose the ball in the reflections/glare, but they seemed to be doing pretty well with it.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 11:09am
Originally posted by slowry slowry wrote:

There are tour groups allowing visitors to spend time in the country, hopefully this helps answer your question about caucasians.

http://reason.com/archives/2013/07/23/my-week-in-north-korea

I travel a lot, especially in Asia.  North Korea has never been on my wish list for places to visit, though!!  I suppose it is better than Sudan.

As for lighting, I have played at places lit like that in China.  It is definitely tough from the glare!  One place I remember, in Hefei, also had white walls to make it even harder to see the white balls.  I guess the idea is that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I think that TT facilities try to cut down on their utility costs however they can.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic