Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Karis M and M+ reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Karis M and M+ reviews
    Posted: 01/05/2017 at 3:23am
This thread is for posting reviews of Nexy Karis M and Nexy Karis M+.
Everybody that was selected as a tester, please post their reviews and impressions here!
Thank you!

Update: anyone is obviously most welcome to post their review here, even if they have not been selected as testers. Thanks, Baal!

Update 2: also see this thread for more reviews!

Edited by arg0 - 01/05/2017 at 5:11pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 7:18am
I didn't ask to be a reviewer because I had already bought a sheet of M and one sheet of M+ in max thickness, which I tested in a ZJK-ALC blade.  Because I bought the rubber myself for market price, and have no business connection to Nexy, you can consider this an unbiased review. 

For the last decade, I have played more or less exclusively with ALC blades and either Tenergy 05, or most recently, MX-P.  I am a conventional two wing shakehand offensive player, getting older now, but still around 2050-2100.  These days I have worried that I have had a tendency to beat myself more than I would like, missing shots from mistiming -- a lot of that secondary to not being as quick as I used to be (and maybe needing new glasses). 

Here is what I have noticed so far with these rubbers:

There is a slight dome of the rubber right out of the packages (true for both M and M+).  The sponges are blue color with very thin pores.  There is no booster smell, in marked contrast to MX-P.  I had forgotten how much easier it was to glue down and cut rubbers with thin-pore sponges like this one.  A very nice feature. 

The pips on the inside of the topsheet are incredibly short (I've never seen anything like it before) and they have a shape that is somewhere between a circle and a hexagon.  The topsheet therefore, overall, is very thin.  I think this may be the key feature of this rubber.  (I hope it does not make the rubber fragile).  It is not shiny, rather a dull or matted appearance, especially in black.

These rubbers are not real fast, and not unusually spinny (although they certainly spinny enough and the topsheet has a very nice grippy feel).  The main thing is that they are incredibly predictable, which became clear to me within a few minutes.  That is the thing Nexy talked about in his threads on what he was trying to achieve when he developed the rubber.  I have to admit I was very skeptical about that when I read it.  It sounded like BS to me.  But having tried Karis, I now think he has accomplished what he set out to do, and his descriptions ring very true once you try this stuff.  I'm not just talking about his descriptions of Karis, but also how Kris is different from Tenergy and ESN rubbers.  When you play with Karis, you sort of feel what he is talking about.  They really are something novel I think.

More than anything than, I would say the main features of Karis are predictablity and linearity.  (Output is directly related to input with no weird discontinuities to put it in more quasi-technical terms).

Because of the predictability of the rubber, I was able to keep the ball on the table really well tonight.  When I wanted to hit slow, the ball went slow, and it went where I aimed it.  When I swung harder, the ball went faster, and importantly, no sudden increase in ball rebound with a slight increase in racket speed.  (That is in marked contrast to the MX-P).  So very few inexplicable misses where you hit the ball off the table and you're not sure why. 

One of the places this really showed up is against my opponent's good shots.  I brought a lot more of them back and lived to battle longer in the point.  I think most amateur offensive players will find that they are a lot better when they are on the defensive with this stuff than they would be with a lot of popular rubbers.   In general I kept the ball on the table,  but I also felt like I was able to be a bit more deceptive as to where I was going to place the ball.  In other words, make it look to opponent like I am going to drive the ball crosscourt with my forehand but then go to the body or down the line at the last minute.  For some reason, that was easy with this stuff.  Also  I was hitting really good angles and  I was looping with a lot more variation in pace.  

For now the only downside, and I think it is temporary, is the sense that some of my shots lacked the penetration I would get with Tenergy or MX-P.  That's to be expected, Karis is definitely slower than either of those.  Also, it seemed like I was hitting my forehand flatter than usual, probably subconsciously trying for more power to compensate for speed of rubber.  I guess I would say that the throw is medium, though.  I will need to play more with an eye on that more.  In any case, when I got good body rotation that was not a problem, then the ball had plenty of pace.  It is better to keep the ball on the table and win more points than it is to look spectacular winning a few points, so I don't mind.  This sense of very linear control was present on every single shot.  Loops, counters, blocks, short game, serve, return, push.  I will need to work hard to get good body rotation on my opening loops in particular, because this stuff definitely does not reward lazy technique.  You don't need to be Ma Long b ut you can't just loop with your arm.  If you do, it will feel like it is about to fall off in a couple of minutes and your shots will suck!!

As for M vs. M+, given what I have been playing with for the last decade (T05 and MX-P), M+ is a step too far, especially away from the table.  I definitely preferred M.  Actually, for now I am more comfortable with M on the FH side and M+ on the BH side (which is a bit odd since M+ is distinctly harder), but I plan to use M on both sides for awhile and see how this goes.  I ordered another sheet of M today so I will have it on both sides. 
sspark80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sspark80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:23am
Thanks for the detailed review, Baal.  How many sessions have you had w/ M and M+?

Edited by sspark80 - 01/05/2017 at 10:23am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:40am
Baal, have you used any of the Airocs? 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Baal, have you used any of the Airocs?

No.  Sorry.  I also have no knowledge of TSP Regalis, which is another rubber some have said might share some features with Karis. 

I believe, though, that the pip structure of Karis is quite different, and I suspect one of the big reasons for why Karis plays the way it does.

I can only compare to Tenergys and MX-P and EL-P, and this is a very different animal from any of those.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by sspark80 sspark80 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed review, Baal.  How many sessions have you had w/ M and M+?

About four hours.  By the way, about 45 min of this was against a defender who is pretty good (he has been training a lot with Li Kewei).  Karis was especially nice then, for pushing short and low when the ball was too spinny to loop comfortably, and in general for attacking.  The predictablity of the rubber was really noticeable then.

I will know more this weekend when I play some stronger offensive players.

Edit added.  A lot more time in with it  There is nothing I wrote that I would change.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 12:32pm
Baal, how is the spin (loop, serve, push) in comparison to T05 or MXP? Thanks.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 5:12pm
As you would expect for slower more controlled rubber. Easy to serve sbort low and spinny. Long zervescwill take a bit more time. Loops are slower and require better te nique but i dont miss. More than enough zpin. Easy to vary zpeed. Short game becomes easy.
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2017 at 11:17am
Where can you buy 2.0mm ?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2017 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

Where can you buy 2.0mm ?

Nexy.com and nexyttstore.com.
Should you experience high shipping costs, contact the support team for clarifications before ordering.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Www.nexyusa.com also sells it. Better for usa/Canada buyers.

Not in 2,0mm though.  That's probably want caused the question.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2017 at 1:30pm
Yeah 2.0mm
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2017 at 2:11pm
Will have 2.0 mm in stock early/mid Feb.
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Will have 2.0 mm in stock early/mid Feb.
Perfect. Thank you
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2017 at 4:15pm
Quick update on Karis durability.

I've used my set of rubbers (one M and one M+) for about 3 weeks - approx 35 hours of playing time.  So far, there are noticeable but minor sings of wear on the topsheet, but no noticeable loss of grip or sponge performance.

I'm typically very happy if I get more than 50 hours of play from my rubber sheet.  So far Karis looks promising in this aspect.

< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2017 at 9:12pm
I continue to really like the M version, total play about 12 hours, now with M on both sides.  After so many years with T05 and MX-P I am struggling a bit to find the range and racket angle on third balls but tonight that started to get quite comfortable as I get more relaxed and as I develop the new habits I need forvthis rubber.  Everything else feels really natural, short game, serve.  Counter loops right off the bounce, this stuff is amazing.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2017 at 11:09pm
The best part of using Karis is when someone is trying to overwhelm you with power and you do the Neo in the Matrix type blocks as if you are bulletproof.
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 11:23pm
I keep using the Karis M+ and Karis M on the new Rubicon and keep liking the control over topspin more and more. This rubber is growing on me. I am not as concerned at incoming topspin as much, I invite it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 11:49am
Quote of the day:
"I am not as concerned at incoming topspin as much, I invite it."

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Quote of the day:

Perhaps long pip players, especially 'pushblockers' should switch to Karis, ha-ha

< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 4:10pm

Quote of the day:

I understand that feeling.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Quote of the day:

I understand that feeling.

So do I - one of the top players in a league I play at asked me whether I was using Chinese rubber since I was using Karis M on an OFF- blade - he kept wondering how I was able to keep some of his balls on the table.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2017 at 9:01pm
The more I play with it the more I like it.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 7:53am
Nexy, please consider adding more distributors.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 10:01am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Nexy, please consider adding more distributors.

You don't like Nexyusa.com?
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 1:36pm
nexyusa.com delivered rubbers to me within a few days of my order.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 1:53pm
Any comments on ease of serve receive with Karis?

I have been using T80 for a few years. The one area I would like to improve is reactivity to serves.

I am planning to try out Victas V>15, it has positive reviews in this regard. Karis might be another rubber to consider.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 8:31pm
Regarding serve returns, you stll need to know what is going on to make a good return, but assuming you do, your margin for error is better than for any Tenergy. Actually I find that Karis makes all aspects of the short game easier. Also, when I read it wrong on the servd return maybe the disastsr is a liitle less disastrous and here and there I can recover and win a point that I would have lost with Tenergy.

Again, though, it is totally different from T80. I like it, but you may not.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 10:45pm
I also like Karis' behavior in short game - it isn't bouncy and not particularly sensitive to incoming spin, which makes it very predictable, at least for me.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Tuly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 11:10pm
Nexy USA is not answering the emails , had to order from Korea and received the answer every time ,asked them what's wrong with the USA side...
Korea site mislead me into believing that they have certain weight in stock up until I paid for the blades to receive an email stating that are not available,....nobody is perfect.,

Update::: got in touch with nexyusa, all good....
      This can be moved or erased if not in a good place...

Edited by Tuly007 - 01/16/2017 at 7:18pm
still testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic