Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Karis M and M+ reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2017 at 4:59pm
In spite of my new rubber, I sucked today.  You still have to move. Arrgh.
Sponsored Links

Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2017 at 5:22pm
i think tenergy is better

Edited by Purett - 01/22/2017 at 8:10am
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2017 at 5:23pm
Wink
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

i think friedship 729 fx and super soft are better

Which of the Frienship rubbers were you using when we played today?  Did you use them to wrap your injured knee?  Smile
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2017 at 10:29am
Can someone provide a comparison between Xiom Sigma 2 Pro and Karis M and Karis M+.  Thanks.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

How about the weight of Karis? Is it heavy? how much does the cut rubber weigh - did anyone check that?

I have a direct comparison.  My setup with Karis M on both sides is 181 g, down from 187 g when it has MX-P on both sides.  I didn't measure cut rubber.  In my estimation, that would make Karis M a fairly average weight rubber, since MX-P is on the heavy side.

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

How about the weight of Karis? Is it heavy? how much does the cut rubber weigh - did anyone check that?

I have a direct comparison.  My setup with Karis M on both sides is 181 g, down from 187 g when it has MX-P on both sides.  I didn't measure cut rubber.  In my estimation, that would make Karis M a fairly average weight rubber, since MX-P is on the heavy side.

I just weighed my sheets, which are cut to Nexy Calix II blade - M+ is 48g and M is 46g without any glue on the sponge. I hope this helps
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

i think friedship 729 fx and super soft are better

Which of the Frienship rubbers were you using when we played today?  Did you use them to wrap your injured knee?  Smile

thats y i use tenergy
just for the knee even tho 729 does wonders for the knee
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 8:55am
New review sheets are:

Karis M - Red - 2.0mm
Karis M+ - Black - 2.2mm

Karis M Review

Speed.  M is a variable offensive kind of rubber, and is fast enough to do the job a two-winged looper needs, dependent on blade selection.  It isn't allround in speed, but it brings an interesting feel and super-balanced power delivery that can surprise initially.  The low gears aren't as bouncy or catapulty as many of the most popular offensive rubbers on the market, and the high gears don't have the top-end speed of the fastest rubbers in this category either.  The middle gears are where M does its best work with just enough extra catapult to make general play a pleasure.  I use the term "gears" here in the general sense, but honestly it's hard to pick out the gears in Karis M - using it feels very smooth and natural with no particular "spikes" in speed anywhere.

Spin.  The Karis topsheet is great, much better than any of the previous modern rubbers from this factory that I've tried.  It lacks a tiny bit of immediate bite in comparison with hyper-grippy stuff, but easily has enough grip to get the job done.  It's a class above the chinese-made euro-style crowd (729 Battle, Yinhe Target Europe) and better than the cheaper end of ESN (Plaxxon, Acuda Blue) IMO.  You don't get the ease of spin generation of a tenergy, and I get more out of brush loops from OVA, but it is by no means bad.  I actually found that I got more out of Karis M on serves than my regular setup because I could get more action on the ball while keeping the ball short.

Short Game.  Excellent.  A real stand-out, and a marked improvement on my current setup.  When pushing, I found it very easy to vary between a floaty short touch and more of a dig to generate back spin.  With the linear and predictable behavior I found I had more options in situations like this (and across the board really) without something dramatic happening - fewer popups, fewer netted returns from incoming backspin.  Also, attacking serves or short backspin balls with a BH flick is very safe and gives excellent results.  If I misread the incoming ball, I still get something that lands on the other side instead of an error.

Throw.  I'd call it medium in general, if I had to give a misleading average.  The key thing about throw is that it's very dependent on the player, the situation, and the context of level (and the level of the opponent).  But although I found the throw to be medium in general, I also found Karis M to be one of the easiest rubbers I've ever used in terms of modifying the throw.  This is more a result of the overall package (sponge hardness, topsheet grip and elasticity), but it all goes towards the idea of options during play.  Take the example above about BH service receive - if I decide to attack a short backspin serve I find I have a very wide margin for error because the rubber doesn't go wild if I use more wrist to generate action on the ball.  If I overestimate the backspin with Karis M , I tend to produce a high throw return with more spin.  Sure, it's a high ball which might invite an attack, but I'm still in the point.  It's the same with looping backspin, or counterlooping too - Karis M gives a big window to operate in, and I was constantly surprised with how progressive I could be with shot selection, and I had to give myself a few mental reminders during play that I should be doing more with the ball and fear the situation less.

Looping.  I got good results from general play with Karis M, but I did notice a lack of threat.  I won more points through placement and counterlooping heavy incoming balls than I would usually do, but I certainly lost some of my ability to over-spin opponents at my level.  The ease of throw adjustment makes loop-loop exchanges effective and enjoyable, but I would possibly need a faster blade to make best use of put-away opportunities.

Direct play - smashing, blocking.  Probably the weaker area for me with Karis M.  Smashes needed a bit more effort, and blocking required the most adjustment because I was used to some immediate catapult from my regular setup.  Once adjusted (slight opening of the blade angle, slightly more active), blocking became very solid.  Lack of basic speed is the issue for me in this area, but I've been using slower blades in recent times and a faster/harder blade choice would iron this out.  This is more down to what I'm used to than Karis itself I think.

Overall.  Pithy headline to miss the point - Karis M is medium everything.  The real value comes from the detail - it's balanced, no rough edges or extreme behavior.  To get this kind of real-world solidity in a rubber you usually have to make a big compromise somewhere - a very hard sponge, or a spin-insensitive topsheet, or a lack of rebound and catapult.  Karis M achieves the balance and predictability without going down these roads.  Who is it aimed at?  I still think the feel and behavior is closest to a lightly-glued japanese classic, so for those people who miss those days then it's an interesting proposition.  Players who want a solid-performing rubber for a general modern topspin game with a full variety of strokes, but find big hitters on the market like MX-P or T05 hard to handle in some way.  Who should be careful?  Players who rely on specific stand-out qualities in their current equipment.  If you really like MX-P for its large catapult, or T05 for its immediate and endless grip, or H3N for tack and hardness, then you may feel like you have traded something essential.  And sometimes we don't even know we are relying on some specific property of our equipment until we try something different.

I like Karis M, and I feel like I play better with it (on my BH wing more than FH), and I really enjoy playing more expansive shots with fewer unforced errors.  It's fast enough in most situations for me and my level (I can still hit long when I want to).  It's more expensive than my usual ESN selection, and I'm not sure about the durability yet (initial signs are good though).  As a side note, Karis is clearly a big jump in performance for the factory that makes it, and it bodes well for future releases IMO.

Karis M+ Review

I don't think that there isn't much point covering the same ground as above for M+, but if anyone wants more detail here then please ask.  Essentially it's the same topsheet on a harder sponge of course, but the hardness is a fair whack more.  I found the spin on brush loops to be higher but the throw overall to be lower.  Speed is higher in general (and seems to be much higher on faster blades, whereas regular M didn't seem to give the same jump in speed), and although the character remains very linear the middle gears are less "flexible" - what I'm trying to convey is that M+ doesn't have the same degree of usability in middle effort shots because the arc stays lower for the same effort.  M+ retains the Karis standout of easy play and stability, especially on counters (really easy to hit through spin, given enough height to work with), and performs better for punches, but the extra speed and hardness is gained at the loss of some of the magic middle gear fluidity (I can't think of a better description for it).  Whereas it's hard to think of direct comparisons with M, I feel that M+ has more in common with other highly linear, hard-sponged, direct-playing rubbers like Acuda Blue P1 Turbo.

All that said, at this stage I had a slight preference for M+ on my FH wing over M simply because I'm used to harder sponges on that wing and everything that comes with them.

Note - following the review section above is a record of the initial sessions I had with Karis and my stream-of-consciousness thoughts about the rubber as time went on.  Hopefully it will add background and detail to the summery review above, but if you aren't interested in how things unfolded then please stop now and do not read on - I do not want to waste your precious time.

Initial Inspection

Out of the packet there is a slight dome, no obvious tuning smell but a moderately sharp rubbery/chemical smell, and the quality is very high (only odd thing is that the M+ is quite a bit smaller than the M when uncut).  Karis shares the dome and smell with other rubbers I've used from the same factory - Airoc, Samba 27.  They're both slightly lighter than ESN or Butterfly equivalents in the same class, but they're not featherweights by any means.

Although there are some similarities with stablemates like Airoc (the sponge being the main thing), the topsheets are totally unlike anything I've seen from this factory before (I haven't tried some recent releases though).  They don't have the shiny finish of the Airocs and have good grip right from the start of a finger rub.  The red sheet looks a bit dull in colour in comparison with ESN/Butterfly, but top quality regardless.

They're easy to cut but I find the slight dome makes fixing to the blade slightly more awkward than, say. recent ESN rubbers which lay totally flat.  It reminds me a little of the slight dome you get with older-gen ESN like Aurus or Rakza 7, which I also found needed a touch of care when slicking down.

A quick bounce test is interesting - the difference between M and M+ is large with M+ being quite a lot harder overall than M.  Spin test is very, very promising with both sheets showing excellent grip and high rotation on wristy brushes.  The black M+ seems a bit spinnier to me (and more reactive to the spin of the dropping ball), but that could just be the sponge hardness helping out in a simple test like this.

First Session - Gewo Zoom Balance

I decided to go with the blade I've been using most recently - the Zoom Balance.  It's a fairly stiff 6.2mm thick allround+ blade, medium/soft feel, limba outers, 92g, solid.  Regular rubbers are 402 Limber on BH and Omega V Asia on FH.

During warm up it becomes obvious that both M and M+ aren't the fastest rubbers out there.  This is fine for me - my regular setup isn't massively fast, and these compare well enough for me.  But as someone who has already taken a step away from catapult monsters like MX-P, and from jumpy, highly-reactive spin freaks like T05, I already know which side my bread is buttered.  Karis falls right in my target zone for controlled attack in terms of speed, but people who are used to the fastest rubbers out there should know that this is a small step down in raw speed.  Karis has a lot of excellent properties itself though, so if speed is the only issue then a blade change could be an option.  If you're already using MX-P on a Schlager Carbon and can't abide the thought of going any slower then stay away from Karis (and from most other rubbers, and from me you nutter).

During a session of mixed training drills, the obvious headline that jumps out from the page is "intuitive, balanced, well-mannered".  It's really quiet hard to make this rubber do something unusual, surprising or extreme.  This also means that it isn't pushing into any areas of extreme performance either - no enormous catapult to help you from distance with your lazy half-stroke, no ludicrous grab to put massive spin on a ball you mis-hit because you were out of position.  But it certainly does enough, and offers more than enough performance for someone at my average level to get any job done.  

At this early stage, I'm very impressed with both M and M+.  They sit in an area of the market where there aren't many quality options IMO, and it's certainly the best of the bunch I can think of.  If you take the slower ESN crowd (Musa being the obvious example), Karis feels far less "capped" in terms of overall performance while still being just as easy to use in the short game.  Of course, Karis is more expensive too.

Second Session - Rubicon

I didn't really want to use Rubicon with Karis so early because I didn't want to introduce a new blade to the equation as well.  But in between this second session and the first, I put my regular setup onto Rubicon and spent a few hours with it and established enough of a baseline to get comfortable in my mind.  For the purposes of the reader - Rubicon is lighter than the Zoom Balance but ever so slightly faster and a touch harder on initial impact.  I'll be doing a Rubicon review later on of course.

But anyway - I went to a small local-ish tournament this weekend and took Rubicon with Karis M on BH, but kept OVA on FH for the sake of safety.   It was an interesting event, and the official UK supplier of Nexy was there sponsoring it and running a stand (http://www.ppong.co.uk/) , so it was interesting for several reasons.  The chap who runs it is a super nice guy, a pretty high level player, won the group 1 event and was using karis himself, so it was a regular karis love-in.  He sold a fair few sheets of it as well.

I was in the group below (2 of 5), and did much better than I had anticipated (5W 2L, joint second position overall).  What stood out to me about Karis in this situation was how it seemed to help me in unfamiliar surroundings against players I'd never seen before.  It has very few rough edges in how it plays - if any.  So when you're not 100% sure about the situation you get a lot of margin for error.  I feel that, in comparison with recent rubbers I've used, it helped a lot with service return (against unfamiliar opponents), tight play, and (most importantly on the day itself - a few good choppers were there) for opening up against backspin.  Karis's nature is such that when I don't get an opener quite right, instead of the ball going long or into the net, I get a sort-of high return that still lands on the table.  Sure, some of those got chewed up, but some didn't and overall my "idiot" error rate was much lower than usual.  At the same time, some of my openers were really good and I don't feel like I had to make any sacrifice to gain the error reduction.  Maybe, maybe, my blocking wasn't quite as good as usual, and I had to be a bit more active when taking an empty ball on from mid-table (lack of low-end catapult), but it was very minor.  Karis encourages you to be more active and progressive anyway - I found myself attacking serves more often and lifting "riskier" (in my mind) backspin simply because it was that bit harder to mess it up in comparison with my usual setup.

Third Session - Levi Basalt

M and M+ on the Levi Basalt, which is my Viscaria-type equivalent (bit softer, bit slower, but much faster than the Zoom Balance or Rubicon).  3 hour session, drills followed by practice matches.

Nothing much to add about this experience over and above the earlier sessions apart from the basic speed of course.  What I found interesting here is that M was still excellent for me - still very manageable, lively in the middle gears in a nice way, good arc and spin for effort strokes, very easy to use in the short game, with "enough" speed (certainly enough for anyone I would say now it's on a faster blade).  The additional basic speed, plus M's easy-going low-gear nature, makes this setup amazingly good for opening against backspin with power, and the setup becomes very solid for loop-reloop from half distance too.

I was surprised by M+ here though - whereas M felt reasonable and balanced (pumped up by the blade in a sensible, understandable way), M+ felt much faster than on the previous blades.  With me coming from slower setups these days, playing closer in, and with an emphasis on controlled offense, M+ was obviously too much on the Levi for me.  M would do a great job on both wings for an aggressive two-winged looper on a fast-ish blade for sure, and in terms of how the overall setup played it compared very well to something like a Bluefire M2 - I'd say equal in spin, slightly lower throw, but far easier to use and more forgiving.  The rubbers are very different, but can be used for a similar game style of generic two-winged loop attack, if you catch my meaning.  Whereas M+ felt too hard and low catapult for that style of play, but too fast for my close-in play too on this blade.   It felt like it would suit more of a hard-hitting, counter-attacking style, although I did feel that it brush looped well in this session too.

Edited by AndySmith - 01/28/2017 at 12:59pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 9:31am
Andy, what would you estimate the organizer's USATT rating to be? What is is ETTA ranking?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Andy, what would you estimate the organizer's USATT rating to be? What is is ETTA ranking?

PM sent.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 10:07am
You and the guy are likely both better than you think you are. Was mostly asking to see if there is a really good player using Karis. He doesn't qualify but plays pretty well.
Cybershape Carbon
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 11:38am
I really like Nexy's strategy and the way the present its products. Though I bought mine Nexy blade as well. But this post is to all testers and overall who use to post reviews here.

This post is not to critisize but to ask. I see most of the reviews are done after 1-2 sessions. As per my understanding the rubber as well as blades need some break in to get its normal properties and characteristics. Sometimes you just need to play more to feel it better. But what I can see instead writing your reviews based on 1-2 sessions please take your time to understand your testing equipment. OR writing short comments such as "I played once it was .... " and then "I played some more and it was ..." etc.

No offense.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by player87 player87 wrote:

I really like Nexy's strategy and the way the present its products. Though I bought mine Nexy blade as well. But this post is to all testers and overall who use to post reviews here.

This post is not to critisize but to ask. I see most of the reviews are done after 1-2 sessions. As per my understanding the rubber as well as blades need some break in to get its normal properties and characteristics. Sometimes you just need to play more to feel it better. But what I can see instead writing your reviews based on 1-2 sessions please take your time to understand your testing equipment. OR writing short comments such as "I played once it was .... " and then "I played some more and it was ..." etc.

No offense.

What you're reading so far are mostly people's initial impressions.  Some people have had the rubber longer than others, but in the first few weeks it's essentially a decision between posting something vague but descriptive about the rubber from the first 1-10 hours, or just saying nothing at all until you're 100% totally ready to go.  I prefer the first option because it's interesting to me whereas total silence isn't, and I presume that if it isn't interesting to others then they can just choose to stop reading and go and do something else.

For myself, I try to be clear that there will be a final review stage to it so people are aware that the rest is just opening the packet, visually inspecting, initial comparisons etc etc.  So people with any sense can see it for what it is, and know that something with more meat behind it is coming in the near future after several sessions.

If you don't like the early days reporting, don't read it.  No one is forcing you.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 12:11pm

No offense.

Sure.  Some rubbers as well as blades play better on day 1 than they do on day 5 and it is important to some people as well.  Without making first day notes, some things escape memory.

Do you have any video of your play?  I find that people who do tend to be far more polite when talking to others on the internet.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/23/2017 at 12:11pm
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 1:49pm
I have now about 16 hours in with these rubbers against a variety of players of various levels.  Not much I would change about what I have written so far (which seems pretty similar to what other people who have spent any significant time with it are saying).  In fact, the reports are pretty amazingly uniform.  My defense is improved, my short game is improved, and my offensive game is not compromised in any significant way (at least nothing I anticipate being unable to adjust to).  I doubt I will write much more about them except about durability, which I will know in time.  I don't write that many reviews and rarely rave about equipment.  I like this rubber a lot.  I will continue to use it. 

Some things you discover right away or are in a unique position to judge.  For example, living in Houston (especially during a week of flooding), I am in a good position to judge how this rubber behaves in ultra-humid conditions (it is far better than MX-P or Tenergy).  That is worth knowing for some people, don't see any reason to wait to write about that, and it's maybe not something one would find out so easily in December or January in New York or Philadelphia!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 3:30pm
I have found a couple of players to not like it, saying it is not spinny enough and that they like their Tenergies.  I expected to hear more of this and the lack of more people stating this on the forum is fairly surprising.
Cybershape Carbon
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 3:33pm

I have found a couple of players to not like it, saying it is not spinny enough and that they like their Tenergies.  I expected to hear more of this and the lack of more people stating this on the forum is fairly surprising.

I think the more that someone uses their equipment the less they'll like other changes presented to them. Maybe the people you asked in person are more used to what they use and therefore more resistant/sensitive to changes. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

I think the more that someone uses their equipment the less they'll like other changes presented to them. Maybe the people you asked in person are more used to what they use and therefore more resistant/sensitive to changes. 

I get this, but Baal is an obvious counterexample.  I don't think the issue is sensitivity to change but whether the value prop of Karis makes sense to the person evaluating it.  Most of these players, to be fair, were not at a level where feeling safe under a barrage of loops was their main problem and they probably didn't have mature enough technique to fully embrace the impact of equipment change.  The ability to open and win the point at their level was probably of higher value and they felt having more spin to open trumped the ability to block.  They also felt that they used Tenergy to get to their level and were reluctant to change.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 4:50pm

Surprised me too.  I am also surprised I like it.  I did not expect to. 

I actually find it quite sufficiently spiny.   But I seem to play best with it when I don't worry about it one way or the other.  I don't work at hitting more spin with it.  I try my best to hit topspin shots that stay on the table.  Sometimes with Karis M the shots are a little less brushed than I would have hit with Tenergy or its kin, but they still seem to be reasonably good shots. 

I could see how some people feel like they need their shots to always be super-spinny and they might not like this because if you want every shot to arc and dip like crazy, this stuff will make you work too hard for some people's tastes. Like I said, I just play what comes natural, and what comes natural comes to one pretty quickly with this stuff.  Considering how different it is from what I am used to, the learning curve is really short.

I think it is possible to vary pace more with this stuff, and especially slower loops, can be loaded.  Pushes can be loaded.    

Two things I am still working on with this stuff.  Long serves  (one of my specialities is super deep serves that land just shotr of the white line) but with Karis I haven't quite got the hang of what I could do well with T05 and MX-P.  Also, my opening loops (third balls when I serve) feel a little strange.  I emphasize little on the last sentence.  It is not yet 100% comfortable on either side.  Realistically, I need more time. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 5:00pm
Also, of course, Viktor, Andy, NL and I are early reports.  We may get some negative reviews from other people soon.

So now, for the most part, I'm just going to sit back and wait for what other people have to say.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 5:23pm
Here are some additional observations and data points I'd like to add:

- I suspect that "old timers" who learned TT with classic rubber (i.e. Mark V) prior to the advent of the new generation rubbers aimed at replacing speed glue, (i.e. Tenergy, ESN), will be more likely to embrace Karis than those who developed their technique with Tenergy or ESN.    I'm not saying that "new timers" won't enjoy Karis - I think most of them will if they give it a try ... it's just that for me, an old timer, the choice is a no-brainer, since Karis feels much more "natural" in my hands than any other rubber I used in a long time.

- Yesterday, I gave my setup for few minutes to a >2400 power looper who plays with Viscaria and Tenergy, who commented that he liked the spin and control, but it was too slow for him.
< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 5:51pm
I'm one of NL's karis refuseniks and some of what all four of you said applies to me. I've only been playing five years, the last four with tenergy. I don't find it unpredictable. My technique is often bad, and tenergy can be unforgiving, but very predictable. So pure resistance to change is part of it.

Karis blocks like a dream, but i found that leading me to push and block and generally play more passive points, which is not where i want to go. And I lost spin on serves (a very big deal) and loops (less big but still not good). But my main dislike for it is the throw. It's lower. Maybe some would say it's normal. But I'm very, very used to the t05 throw, and karis does nothing well enough (in my hands in a one-week test)to make me want to relearn my strokes to adapt to the lower throw.

The karis partisans here seem to cluster near 2100. I'm 1800. I'm very curious if lower-rated reviewers will be as impressed as NL, baal, victor,andysmith - and also if your ratings actually change after fully adapting to karis, or if you just feel better with it. There's nothing wrong with that, none of us are playing for a living, but that makes it a purely subjective choice. I have more fun playing with t05, that's the bottom line for me.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 6:16pm
My theory is that actually really good players, people 2400-2700, if they will like T05?  My guess is they won't because they don't need any of what Karis offers and want fast stuff.  I could be wrong, and of course, I am assuming that most of Nexy's testers in Korea are in that range.  But the comment of Viktor's friend doesn't surprise me.  As for his comment about older players liking it better?  Hmm.  A primordial memory of sorts?  I don't know if that fits me.  My truly formative years were a really long time ago on Mark V and then I returned to the sport after a really long layoff.  I have been more or less a Tenergy guy after speed gluing Bryce and such.

As for whether my level has changed with Karis, one thing for sure, there is feel and then there is real.  So I feel like I play better in some key ways, but too soon for me to say.  Actually, the smart people would say it doesn't matter what I play with I will suck just as much in the fullness of time.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Actually, the smart people would say it doesn't matter what I play with I will suck just as much in the fullness of time.

Yes. Testing karis I still won the matches I should win and lost the rest. One way of looking at that is I'm wasting $25 per sheet on tenergy. But I could do the same with baracuda for $15 less than karis.

Edited by BRS - 01/23/2017 at 6:39pm
onehander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 8:41pm
"But my main dislike for it is the throw. It's lower. Maybe some would say it's normal. But I'm very, very used to the t05 throw, and karis does nothing well enough (in my hands in a one-week test)to make me want to relearn my strokes to adapt to the lower throw."

This would be the deal breaker for me.  I really prefer high throw rubber.   My favorites among medium-high to high throw are T05, OVA, and Hybrid K1+.   H3/H3neo has inconsistency with throw due to product QC.  But I like H3 also when I have a sheet with high throw.   
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

This post is not to critisize but to ask.

No offense.

What you're reading so far are mostly people's initial impressions.  Some people have had the rubber longer than others, but in the first few weeks it's essentially a decision between posting something vague but descriptive about the rubber from the first 1-10 hours, or just saying nothing at all until you're 100% totally ready to go.  I prefer the first option because it's interesting to me whereas total silence isn't, and I presume that if it isn't interesting to others then they can just choose to stop reading and go and do something else.

For myself, I try to be clear that there will be a final review stage to it so people are aware that the rest is just opening the packet, visually inspecting, initial comparisons etc etc.  So people with any sense can see it for what it is, and know that something with more meat behind it is coming in the near future after several sessions.

If you don't like the early days reporting, don't read it.  No one is forcing you.

Seems you took it personally. as I said above it is not to critisize but to ask.

How many times you googled something and got so much unnecessary info but still you have to spent your time, read everything to find what you need though no one forcing you to read everything.

At the end of the day that was my point and you have your own vision. Everybody is free to decide what they are gonna do. Good luck. 
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 11:54pm

Sure.  Some rubbers as well as blades play better on day 1 than they do on day 5 and it is important to some people as well.  Without making first day notes, some things escape memory.

Do you have any video of your play?  I find that people who do tend to be far more polite when talking to others on the internet.

Didn't want to be rude anyhow. Sorry if someone offended by my post maybe due to my english. I consider my post more polite than reply I got from Andy.

I do have video however I need ot edit it. Currently recovering from the injury and didn't play tt for 1 month already. I will post review later on Nexy blade. Played with it around 10 hours only.

You may pm me your watsap number I will send short clips with my game couple of months ago If interested.

Edited by player87 - 01/24/2017 at 5:42am
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 1:07am
Weird question but here it goes, does this require a stroke mechanics like that of hurricane or other Chinese rubbers or is it an out and out ESN ?

Also can anyone compare the feel to juic nanospin II as that was a fairly spin insensitive rubber as well.
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 3:22am

Seems you took it personally. as I said above it is not to critisize but to ask.

How many times you googled something and got so much unnecessary info but still you have to spent your time, read everything to find what you need though no one forcing you to read everything.

At the end of the day that was my point and you have your own vision. Everybody is free to decide what they are gonna do. Good luck. 

Oh no, you have to put some effort in to read the thoughts of others?  How awful!

Once the "final" reviews start to mount up, someone usually takes the time to index them and add links on the first page - in past events arg0 puts this effort in, because he's a decent guy.  My advice to you is to put some effort in yourself to see how these things are typically run and structured on this forum and don't rely on google, which is hardly optimised for this kind of searching.  Until then, don't bother to read things.  I mean, you're not interested in the early thoughts of players anyway, so just ignore this thread until you feel some magical threshold has been passed and then come back.  Easy!  And this way, there's no need to try to police how people do this - because you're basically asking testers too shut up until you're ready to read.  It's rude and has an odd air of entitlement that I can't quite grasp.

This is the kind of thing I'd listen to and take on board if it came from Nexy, or arg0, or whoever is organising the event of course.  You know, people who have organised and put time and effort in.  Or if there was a general concensus on the forum perhaps - maybe you should start a poll and ask people to vote?  Not sure what the question should be.  Perhaps "Should testers shut up until I'm ready to read things"?

No offense, of course.

Edited by AndySmith - 01/24/2017 at 3:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic