Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy Karis M and M+ reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 11:06pm
We have 2mm Karis M in stock 
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Sponsored Links

NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Can someone provide a comparison between Xiom Sigma 2 Pro and Karis M and Karis M+.  Thanks.

I hate to quote myself but I don't think any one has responded to my question regarding Sigma 2 Pro vs. Karis M and Karis M+.

There has been some discussion about Xiom Omega V Asia in this thread, but will appreciate any feedback regarding Sigma 2 Pro and Karis. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 9:30pm
My topsheets are starting to show some visible signs of wear at 24 hours of play and one little chip around the edge but still grippy as ever. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2017 at 1:03am

Can someone provide a comparison between Xiom Sigma 2 Pro and Karis M and Karis M+.  Thanks.

I hate to quote myself but I don't think any one has responded to my question regarding Sigma 2 Pro vs. Karis M and Karis M+.

There has been some discussion about Xiom Omega V Asia in this thread, but will appreciate any feedback regarding Sigma 2 Pro and Karis. 

You really should assume no one has used Sigma 2 Pro and move on.  Had I used it, I would have responded, but it isn't Tenergy, and the person who asked after OVA knew that both Andy and myself reviewed the rubber and play/played extensively with it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2017 at 2:07am
I have waited for posting my first review, because I wanted to play with both rubbers for some sessions at first to get better impressions. Now, after my third training with Karis M+/M it`s time to tell you my thoughts and feelings about this rubber.

First of all: yes, I also think, that Karis does not fit in any of the actual categories, because it is definitely faster and grippier than a classic rubber like Sriver or Mark V. It is much more linear than all ESN-rubbers that I know (maybe except MX-S) and it has nearly nothing to do with a chinese rubber in my eyes.

Some people posted, that they are feeling to be back in the good old "fresh-glue" time. Well that`s too long ago for me to remember right, but I don`t feel so. For me it is a nice compromise between classic rubbers like Mendo Energy and the new (more linear) ESN-rubbers like MX-S or Acuda Blue P1.

+

These rubbers are very linear. You always get what you order. No surprise about the length or speed of the ball. It`s a very "honest" rubber. If you make a mistake, you will know, why. Another big feature is the high control of this rubber. Whenever you don`t have the best placement (for example because I was too slow), it is nevertheless possible to bring the ball on the table very often - in opposite to most chinese rubbers which need a perfect footwork and very good technique.

-

The biggest advantage (control) is also the only disadvantage of Karis, because I am missing this extra bit of spin or speed in some situations. The rallies are longer with Karis, because I bring back more balls on the table - but unfortunately some opponents do it also, because they are able to handle my spin. I am not sure if you understand what I mean. I am a player who tries to play "controlled offence", but - whenever - I try to make the point myself, on forehand-side with a hard topspin, on the backhand-side with hard blocking and smashing and all this is a bit harder with Karis, for example compared with MX-P.

Don`t misunderstand me: I really like the feeling of Karis (both versions) and the more I play with it, the more I "understand" it and the more I get used to it. On backhand I managed to adjust my strokes and there is not much missing anymore. On forehand it is a bit more difficult for me. Smashing is getting easier from smash to smash and I think, this will only need some weeks to adjust, but in one point I still have problems: my looping (topspin) is still too harmless for the opponent. Of course I also make less mistakes and I my second and third topspin also reaches the table (I made more mistakes in the past), but I am missing something, because I can`t force the opponent enough with my power-loops. Maybe it`s a question of the right (or wrong) technique, but it seems to be harder to return my topspins with MX-P.

Oh, I forgot to mention: I have tested both rubbers on the new Innerforce Layer ALC.S. This may also be a reason, because this blade is a bit slower than Zhang Jike ALC and Tibhar Illusion Killer. Next monday I will remove the rubbers from IK and try it with Karis M+/M. I hope, the more "lively" feeling of the IK will help Karis, to get also a bit more power.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2017 at 5:29am
Thanks to Andy Smith for the offering of some karis m and karis m+ for a trial.

Blade: Tibhar Stratus Powerwood (modified head - very balanced)
FH: Various:
BH: Karis M 2.0mm

Had a bit of a knock with Karis M+ on fh.
Mostly I tried Karis M on bh in 2.0mm!!

Mostly I would echo what other people have said about using the Karis M

Ease of use
Relatively insensitive to spin (compared to H3N which I have been using)
On the TSPW I found the speed ok when I smashed off took the ball early
Very easy to topspin with wristy bh, very safe arc - not sure about the speed
For me it was easier to hit with as I could hit the ball really hard in a controlled manner.

Basically the rubber felt good on my blade to knock with. I also tried with Yasaka Goabiao and that had no speed problems at all.

Most weeks I have a knock with a very good bh pimple (hellfire) and spinny fh H3N guy. For approx. 2 months he has been getting the better of me. I have been using H3N on bh and various on fh on various blades but mainly TSPW.
So last night knocking was excellent, great control against the pimples
Good openers - Good blocking against his insane slow spinny fh.
Better returning of serves.

The Karis M was excellent for bashing through his pimple shots, something I have lacked recently with H3N, super arc on proper wristy bh, definitely felt a little more comfortable returning serve
All this bearing in mind this was only my second go with the Karis M.

I'm not sure how spinny it is compared to other stuff, probably a little less but it certainly has spin on the TSPW.

Im very close to settling on this for my bh.

I need to test against attacking players with good countering bh to see if I can get enough on the ball to make it hard for them.

Overall though first impressions are a very good rubber as stated by others.
My decision now is whether to use this or Victas 402 limber on my bh.

For reference I had EL-S on my fh and the combination of rubbers and blade worked well

Edited by mog1111 - 01/30/2017 at 5:39am
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2017 at 3:01pm
Video of me using Karis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aftYxMBiCGg

VS Lady Ruano(2353)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSuttrABXo

VS Sergey Bratchenko(2517)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzUAnytyN70
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 5:56am
I like Karis, so I bought some more sheets of M in 2.2mm, red and black.  I'm seeing some variation in sheet size and weight though.  The 2.2mm sheet of M in Red is quite a bit heavier than the black one while having smaller dimensions  - it's very nearly the same weight as the black test sheet of  M+ in 2.2mm I had, and the sponge feels harder than the black sheet of M.  I've put the data in the Reporting... thread.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 7:10am
Oh oh. That is not a good sign.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Oh oh. That is not a good sign.

If someone told me that this red sheet was an M+ in an M packet, I might believe them.  It might just be a one-off of course.  Cut weights are 46g black and 51g red.  I'll see how they play.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 7:57am
I have a couple of new sheets coming and I will be sure to weigh mine.  If there is QC problem, people need to know.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 2:57pm
I may have slightly changed my opinion on the karis m.

knocked with it tonight and I might just have played bad but I felt I lacked spin and penetration. Not sure it is going to be the answer I am looking for. my opponent just blocked and countered all my backhands.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Wow! A familiar face from my native city - what was Sergey doing in JAX? a vacation or?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I have a couple of new sheets coming and I will be sure to weigh mine.  If there is QC problem, people need to know.

If you can, measure the size of the uncut sheet as well.  I've never seen so much variation in sheet size before.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Wow! A familiar face from my native city - what was Sergey doing in JAX? a vacation or?

He has been playing in the Miami (Broward actually) club recently. Jax is just a hop and a skip from there, in Florida terms.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I like Karis, so I bought some more sheets of M in 2.2mm, red and black.  I'm seeing some variation in sheet size and weight though.  The 2.2mm sheet of M in Red is quite a bit heavier than the black one while having smaller dimensions  - it's very nearly the same weight as the black test sheet of  M+ in 2.2mm I had, and the sponge feels harder than the black sheet of M.  I've put the data in the Reporting... thread.

I have received two new sheets of Karis M to try on my favorite black tag Viscaria (a little faster blade than the ZJK-ALC my first sheets are on). 

Before gluing I checked weight.  The black sheet weights 67 grams uncut.  The red sheet is 61 grams.  They are exactly the same surface area. 

This is a big difference, around 10%, and it suggests that there may be quality control problems.  And based on what Andy wrote, it is not systematically based on color.

Now I wish I had checked this on the first sheets.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2017 at 6:18pm
I have without controlled measurement some of these QC differences but thought I was seeing things. I played fine with the rubber regardless and didn't bother with it. Hope someone would contact Nexy about it.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2017 at 7:06pm
I used them last night in a match and they were noticeably different. Not as much as M to M+, but somewhere in the middle. I just used the harder one on my FH and was very happy, but it's a bit like buying Rhyzm 425 and getting something closer to regular instead. Karis EL. But the obvious problem is what do you get next time?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2017 at 7:55pm
Fortunately I reacted today like NL  In spite of msrkedly different weight, both sides were fine and Karis is awesome on my Viscaria. I played and felt fine with either side but eventually settled ax usual with black on FH.  Why?  Just felt good that way.

I still think its a big QC problem they need to get straightened out at once.  Some people will not like it, and for a $50 rubber that kind of weight and hardness variability should not happen.

This is the Karis feedback thread so I hope he sees it.  I will mention this on other websites too.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2017 at 3:49am
im giving upon Karis, for me I just seemed to offer up to many easy balls, I think it might be better on a faster or stiffer blade, but did not really work for me apart from against pimple players
it was good and stable for blocking though.
not a bad rubber just does not suit my style
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2017 at 10:18am
I thought the variance in weight after cut of +/- 2g is the norm, specially on pre-boosted rubber.

Edited by mhnh007 - 02/03/2017 at 10:29am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I thought the variance in weight after cut of +/- 2g is the norm, specially on pre-boosted rubber.

This is 5-6g variance after cut.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I was about to ask: We need at some point to get a comparison. Hopefully some people who already reported and are savvy on boosting will tell us. After all, if the karis series is going a bit in the direction of traditional spin rubbers then boosting makes a bit more sense too.
Nexy won't ask that for obvious reasons so it's up to us if we want to know fully or not about the product.

I did wonder about factory boosting having an influence here (I'm not sure any boosting is going on anyway), especially since the 4 sheets I've used have had quite a big variation in uncut dimensions.  I've never seen that before, even with obviously factory tuned stuff like MX-P or Bluefire M.

But the strange thing is:

Karis M - 2.2 - Red - 165x167 - 67.39g
Karis M - 2.2 - Black - 167x170  - 63.77g

The black sheet is both bigger, and lighter, than the red.  So when cut to the same size the specific weight difference between the two is compounded.  And the difference feels like it's all in the sponge, because the red is obviously harder to the touch.

I like karis and can adapt to this of course, but I don't want to keep adapting to changes every time I buy a fresh sheet.  It's an additional thing I don't want to deal with, and don't have to deal with when I buy cheaper ESN, for example.  Perhaps some don't mind a 10% variation in sponge hardness though.  It's all very personal.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2017 at 11:32am
Nexy is just the branding, they don't manufacture. So question is do regalis or other new rubbers from this OEM have the same kind of variance?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Nexy is just the branding, they don't manufacture. So question is do regalis or other new rubbers from this OEM have the same kind of variance?

I haven't bought enough sheets of any recent ones to say.  I didn't notice this with Airoc though.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2017 at 12:26pm
My thoughts on this are that I don't think this rubber is pre-boosted.  Nothing about it plays that way, or smells that way.  But...  I don't know for sure.  And again, I still like playing with it, including my new sheets.  However:

The weight differences I saw between 2 uncut sheets of the same size amount to 10% of the weight!  Where is that extra weight coming from?  There are three plausible possibilities.

1.  One sponge is thicker than another.  A 10% variation in that would be ridiculously unacceptable (it would take a 2.2 mm down to almost 1.9).  Just looking at it, it doesn't seem like that is the case.

2.  Sponge hardness variation.  Andy mentioned his played harder on one side. I couldn't quite feel that.  Will see later.  I prefer the black side on my FH, but maybe it's placebo.

3.  Variations in amount of factory applied booster.  Possible, but as I mentioned above, not my favorite choice, but this could also affect how hard it feels.

Of course one can not completely exclude some variation in the top sheet but that seems a lot less likely.

As to whether this is factory or Nexy, it is true that a factory in Japan makes the rubber, but Nexy decides whether or not to put it in their package and then sell it with their name on it for $50 per sheet.  Maybe they don't know about this variation.

Now they do or will soon (I hope).  I actually sent Nexy a PM about this, so I hope he will comment.  I don't know how often he checks in here, but he has a couple of long running threads.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2017 at 12:18pm
I am not a "tester", I actually bought both of my sets for the full price.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Maybe the testers received sheets that did not pass QC?
I am still waiting for my 2 sheets btw.

Yeah, my odd red sheet was privately purchased from the UK dealer too.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2017 at 1:35pm
I guess we'll see in time. Also, as Andy mentioned at OOAK, how things go with Mantra, Regalis, etc. from the same factory. Re ember Mantra was released then delayed.   I love the Karis topsheet. Hope QC gets better.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2017 at 2:03pm
I have bought, personally used, and personally redistributed lots of sheets from Nexy USA.  My informal notice of the anomaly came when switching rubbers across blades and noting that the weight changes were sometimes inconsistent.  But like I said, I never had a serious problem playing with the rubber itself.  I do agree that the QC should be addressed for a premium rubber.  I have pretty much committed to using it this year but it was things like this that stopped me from sticking with Big Dipper and that was much cheaper.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic