tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Clubs in Taiwan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingpongsimon View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongsimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clubs in Taiwan
    Posted: 01/11/2017 at 12:46am
I will be relocating to Taiwan starting next week. Most of the time I will be in Taipei, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good clubs in Taipei and the rest of Taiwan? Also can I go by myself? I've heard at some clubs you rent tables and have to have a partner. Thanks!
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 1:24am
I didn't get a chance to explore much of Taipei when I went, but I made a thread about my last visit to Taiwan and had a chance to visit a few clubs and shops.  Hopefully this will help you!

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71444
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated May 8

UC San Diego Varsity
W968 Pen | H3 | H3
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 6:55am
I heard there's a decent one really near Gu Ting station in Taipei from a friend. 

Edited by MLfan - 01/11/2017 at 6:55am
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 8:58pm
If you have a partner you can rent tables at any of the 'government sponsored sports centers'.  Pretty much each "district" in Taipei has it's own sports center.  Cost is 100 (NT dollars) per hour for the table.  So you can have two people (or more) share the cost.  But this is not a place for 'pick-up' games as everyone that comes already has a partner.

If you go to clubs, the general cost is 100NT per person and some places (like the one at Guting MRT station) you can spend as long as you want there for the 100NT.  Other places it is 50-100NT per hour per person.  Most go on the honor system and you just pay when you are done. Depending on the time of day you can find people for "pick-up" games.  But at the times I have gone, a lot of the tables can be occupied by coaches, especially after 5:30pm.  

The one at Guting MRT is less than a minute walk from Exit 7.

Not sure what kind of clubs you are used to, but the "basement" type clubs in Taiwan usually have no air-con (they do have fans) and being in the basement will have an effect on air quality.  The layout of the tables can be weird.  Many times only 1-2 tables will have a decent amount of room around the table.  The other ones will be impeded by the wall or column, ect. 

I'm always looking for a chance to play so I'll send you a PM in case you wanted to meet-up for a hit.

opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by DarkerMyLove DarkerMyLove wrote:

If you have a partner you can rent tables at any of the 'government sponsored sports centers'.  Pretty much each "district" in Taipei has it's own sports center.  Cost is 100 (NT dollars) per hour for the table.  So you can have two people (or more) share the cost.  But this is not a place for 'pick-up' games as everyone that comes already has a partner.

If you go to clubs, the general cost is 100NT per person and some places (like the one at Guting MRT station) you can spend as long as you want there for the 100NT.  Other places it is 50-100NT per hour per person.  Most go on the honor system and you just pay when you are done. Depending on the time of day you can find people for "pick-up" games.  But at the times I have gone, a lot of the tables can be occupied by coaches, especially after 5:30pm.  

The one at Guting MRT is less than a minute walk from Exit 7.

Not sure what kind of clubs you are used to, but the "basement" type clubs in Taiwan usually have no air-con (they do have fans) and being in the basement will have an effect on air quality.  The layout of the tables can be weird.  Many times only 1-2 tables will have a decent amount of room around the table.  The other ones will be impeded by the wall or column, ect. 

I'm always looking for a chance to play so I'll send you a PM in case you wanted to meet-up for a hit.

I'll be heading to Taiwan next week as well - will be in Taipei for a few days around Nanjing Fuxing Station (and bringing my paddle :D).  My level isn't too high though - around 1900.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Roundell
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 11:38pm
Nice.  I'll send you a PM and we can meet up if your schedule allows it.  
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 4:10pm
I am landing in Taipei on the 2nd of Feb.
If you guys want a knock, email me on info@ttshop.co.za

I will be traveling quite a bit, and will also be spending time at the Chinese Taipei national trials as well as some of their per-trials training.

If any one is keen to watch, 11/12 Feb is the senior trials in Taipei
21 to I think 26 Feb is the juniors, in Tainan
So that is where you guys can fine me :)

Edited by ZApenholder - 01/12/2017 at 4:10pm
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 4:12pm
Here is a link to all of the "public" facilities in Taiwan
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1h_uN8Q0136jsRtcERIe4GDdok58&hl=en_US

The private ones (schools, professional clubs etc) are not listed here.

You would find lots of schools actually have table tennis, if after school hours, and if you live near the school, walk pass and you could just hear ball sounds :)
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 7:10pm
When I go to Taipei, I will always make it a point to play at the club located at number 45, section 4, Nanjing East Road, MRT exit Taipei Arena. They have a facebook page and Youtube videos, but I don't know how to put the links here. Its in a basement and has many tables with all levels of players. Coaching is available as well. Can't remember the cost, but quite inexpensive. I have a great time there. Well worth the visit.
pingpongsimon View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongsimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2017 at 8:25am
Thanks everyone for the help. I will definitely try and check out these clubs! If anyone ever wants to play feel free to private message me! I'm around a US 1800 level. I also had no idea about the Chinese Taipei national team trials so I will definitely try and check out that tournament :)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2017 at 8:17am
hi PPsimon

i'm not sure if you made it to li shan middle school for the trials
Were you there?
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic