Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

table tennis tips "Explosiveness in TT"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EmRatThich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmRatThich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: table tennis tips "Explosiveness in TT"
    Posted: 01/18/2017 at 5:19pm
Hi, I'm EmRatThich, vietnamese table tennis player. Now I live in France. With my friend (chinese table tennis player), we have learned together some tips and chinese philosophy about table tennis. I would like to share some of these tips for beginner players who want to improve fast in table tennis. 

As I'm not a pro player, these tips may be not applicable to all of the level. If you are already at a very high level, you could find these tutorials not helpful, however I think it would be useful for beginner and early-intermediate player. In my previous videos, the quality of the coaching is not good enough (may be too simplified or not new for some players). I'm trying to improve a lot to give better coaching video for many new players. Feel free to comment or criticism about the video or technical aspects.

My purpose is to help new player enjoy more table tennis, as I always say to my young players:

Hope you enjoy the coaching video. See you next Sunday.
Best regards,
EmRatThich

"The first 2 key points of holding a table tennis racket has been explained in the previous video: Use the muscle group 2 to hold your racket, and a compact grip will increase the freedom of the wrist.

I will explain in this video the last keypoint in the "3 principles to have a good table tennis grip". This keypoint is the most important as it is the key of "explosiveness" in Chinese philosophy about table tennis stroke."

Edited by EmRatThich - 01/18/2017 at 5:21pm
Sponsored Links

dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 6:27pm
Your voice was a little deeper than I expected based upon your avatar. 
Thanks!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 9:01pm
Thanks! I really enjoyed the video. I subscribed and am now checking out your other videos!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmRatThich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 4:12am
I'm a male table tennis player. My avatar is not related to my sex ;)

Edited by EmRatThich - 01/19/2017 at 4:12am
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by EmRatThich EmRatThich wrote:

I'm a male table tennis player. My avatar is not related to my sex ;)
damn, I was hoping you looked like the avatar.  all kidding aside, I do find parts of your videos informative
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 1:37pm
Does anyone have any thoughts on this whole "tightening up" or increased grip pressure that occurs at the moment of contact?  I think the evidence presented in this video is pretty weak. If you watch Ma Long play his FH/BH transition in his instructional video, he doesn't make any of the strange faces that the author claims is evidence that this is occurring. 

There are times where I feel like I am increasing the grip pressure at contact, but I think what im really feeling is the forearm snap.  I'm curious to hear what others think, though. 
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 1:49pm
Ringer, when I do it, I think I am just stabilizing the blade face at contact as I don't rant the blade to shake so much that I don't hold my contact angle,especially on serves.   But since I try to play with relaxed technique, I do find that the grip can feel too loose if one doesn't tighten the racket at contact.   That said this is all unconscious and if you asked me how or why I do it, other than what I have written above, I would give you a blank stsre.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 3:23pm
Does anybody want to talk about explosiveness or grip tightening with respect to chopping?  Or should we leave that sort or thing to great-grandson of Feint Long and proud descendant of P-2 Curl?

Doesn't anyone play table tennis slow and steady anymore?  Is it too late to defuse the explosiveness?  Whatever happened to making a case for the defense?

Koji Hyuk (aka A. Nobel)

Edited by berndt_mann - 01/19/2017 at 3:30pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this whole "tightening up" or increased grip pressure that occurs at the moment of contact?  I think the evidence presented in this video is pretty weak. If you watch Ma Long play his FH/BH transition in his instructional video, he doesn't make any of the strange faces that the author claims is evidence that this is occurring. 

There are times where I feel like I am increasing the grip pressure at contact, but I think what im really feeling is the forearm snap.  I'm curious to hear what others think, though. 

not sure if using an instructional video is any stronger evidence. but if you watch slow motion replays of FZD or Jun Mizutani in match play, you definitely see the tightening reflected on their face upon impact.  mizutani might be the most obvious case. you can notice ma long tighten his lips in match play in tournaments too, but it is very subtle.

anyways, I think the tightening up on big loops or drives are natural and instinctive. i don't think it is necessarily something you do proactively in order to play better, but when you put more force in an action, the tightening up is a mechanism to gain stability in the overall movement. 
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 10:09pm
it works as long as you have the timing right
wich is the hardest part
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 10:25pm
It is hard for amateurs like us to time the exact moment of contact. But I feel if I tighten my grip after I snap my elbow, the shot is more stable, has more power and spin. We don't need extreme power from the tightening, but the tightening definitely provides a hard, solid paddle surface to grip the ball. I am still experimenting the tightening anyway. I thought I knew the tightening before (just like tightening the badminton racket before hitting the shuttle), but I was wrong. It is different from the tightening in badminton.
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 10:42pm
when i hear "explosiveness" in table tennis, i picture quadri aruna

Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 11:55pm
If you are tightening the racket around the moment of contact in order to "gain stability", then it sounds to me that your grip was simply too loose to begin with when you took your backswing.  I believe you could have generated the same amount of racket head speed with a tighter grip from the very beginning.  Or where am I wrong?

I remember when I got pretty good at the Marcos Freitas trick of bouncing the ball against the side of the table and I could keep it going for over a minute.  I used to swear I was using grip pressure changes to manipulate the ball, but when I looked at the video I was actually using very small accelerations and deceleration. 

USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 9:01am

If you are tightening the racket around the moment of contact in order to "gain stability", then it sounds to me that your grip was simply too loose to begin with when you took your backswing.  I believe you could have generated the same amount of racket head speed with a tighter grip from the very beginning.  Or where am I wrong?

I remember when I got pretty good at the Marcos Freitas trick of bouncing the ball against the side of the table and I could keep it going for over a minute.  I used to swear I was using grip pressure changes to manipulate the ball, but when I looked at the video I was actually using very small accelerations and deceleration. 

My opinion is that usually, these things all happen unconsciously and talking about them in detail is a waste of time.  Fingers can make very small accelerations through grip pressure changes.  The only way you exclude these possibilities is by rigorously defining them to be mutually exclusive and then seeing whether they both occur or neither occurs.

I disagree that you could have generated the same amount of speed with a tighter grip in the beginning.  But it does depend on what kind of muscular tightness your tighter grip facilitates and the degree to which it impedes your degree to facilitate whip.  One thing to note is that some of these things are minor optimization and timing details.  But my racket is often shaking in my hand but pivoting around the thumb rest when I play both my forehand and my backhand.  IT's why I get good spin even when I lack good power.

One could say keep a relatively loose grip but tight enough to stabilize the racket and maintain it throughout the swing.

Another could say keep a pretty loose grip but tighten it more at a contact.

Let's say in theory that the second was a bit better than the first if optimally done.  That little bit might not be a lot.  OR the two could amount to the same thing.  But the key thing is that you don't get whip by being tight.  The grey areas don't mean much for what I am trying to do and I doubt it means much for you either.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmRatThich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 4:38am
@NextLevel. Thank you Next Level for your detailled explication. It's really helpful.
As promised, I've made the video for Penholders. By collecting several footages, I want to show to the new players where to apply the pressure in the penhold grip. This can increase the quality of the shot, especially the RPB (Reverse Penhold Backhand).

Notice: I've missed one tips in the video. For the penhold backhand, as Wang Hao mentioned, the thumb is used to control the angle of the blade and the index is used to help the driving force. You should apply the pressure on the index finger for the penhold backhand grip. For the penhold forehand grip, it depends on the stroke. For the shots that require the flexibility of the wrist (such as forehand serve or the forehand flip on the table) you should apply the pressure on the index finger and release the pressure on the thumb finger as shown in the slow motion video of Ma Lin. For the forehand topspin far from the table which require a stronger guidance force, you should apply the pressure on both the thumb and the index finger to stabilize your stroke and also to add power to your forehand loop.

Edited by EmRatThich - 01/23/2017 at 2:33pm
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 11:16am
EmRatThich, there are smart words in your videos, and I very liked some videos, but if you earn money from coaching tt, please invest part in mastering english ;)
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmRatThich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2017 at 11:20am
How to generate power loop against heavy backspin in table tennis. I will analyze the forehand topspin technique of Ma Long to loop kill the backspin ball from a chopper. For the underspin ball, you should attack it by using your forehand. Don't practice your backhand topspin against this ball.

WIELDER View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WIELDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

EmRatThich, there are smart words in your videos, and I very liked some videos, but if you earn money from coaching tt, please invest part in mastering english ;)

Come on dude, be a sport... the guy is a Vietnamese; understands Chinese; living in France (where English is viewed as a rival culture and language there)... yet still he communicates with us using English. StarStarStarStar
Apart from just few minor mispronunciations, his English language structure is indeed very ok to me.

Edited by WIELDER - 04/03/2017 at 2:43pm
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2017 at 10:32pm
Maybe garwor will enlighten us with a clip with his mastery of the queen's english.
From what I heard 'they' speak with a stiff up....
That would be niceeeee.LOL

penholderxxx
Iloveplayingtabletennis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EmRatThich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 7:36am
I've written some articles about Chinese techniques on my blog pingsunday.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 9:57am

Thank you. Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your videos and find them very informative. I would like to see a video of how to smash against high topspin lobs. Thank you!
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 10:07am
Maybe it sounds offensive, but that was really useful advice at time of post (that was also advice given to me many years ago when I started working for americans, communication is sometimes more important than  knowledge).
Today, ERT's english level is much better. 
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 11:20am

Can you explain what makes these techniques Chinese Techniques? Do you think that European players are not aware of these techniques?

Second, do you have a source on Deng Yaping's comment re: usage of the wrist and fingers? Are you sure you didn't get that from Wang Jinxin's publication on the same thing? 

Edited by bard romance - 11/01/2017 at 11:20am
ssmilk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmilk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 6:17am
tks for the video,learn a lot from it.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 5:20pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on this whole "tightening up" or increased grip pressure that occurs at the moment of contact?  I think the evidence presented in this video is pretty weak. 
Yes, you should have a relaxed grip in the short play over the table, but increased 'tightening' just before contact to stabilise the contact angle of your bat as you strike the ball in power strokes, without that you will be inconsistent. Practice I'm afraid.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic