Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

if boosting is illegal, why...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by el luchador el luchador wrote:

if boosting is illegal but a lot of people boost,
why not just speed glue?

Easy, because boosting is what pros do and amateurs want to do what the pros are doing.  If Ma Long and Timo were putting bull semen on their rackets, amateurs will do it too.  Table tennis players are sheep.
Sponsored Links

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 1:16pm
"Easy, because boosting is what pros do and amateurs want to do what the pros are doing.  If Ma Long and Timo were putting bull semen on their rackets, amateurs will do it too.  Table tennis players are sheep."

I imagine this response is more of an example of satire, in which case its cool and funny, but for the sake of open discussion, this is a classic example of the "Hasty Generalization" Fallacy.  Just sayin'...

FdT
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Originally posted by el luchador el luchador wrote:

if boosting is illegal but a lot of people boost,
why not just speed glue?

Easy, because boosting is what pros do and amateurs want to do what the pros are doing.  If Ma Long and Timo were putting bull semen on their rackets, amateurs will do it too.  Table tennis players are sheep.

I vaguely remember that the members of the Texas Wesleyan University tt team back in the '90s tryed bull semen mixed with d-limonene and Bosco Milk Amplifier.  This gave a pretty good speed glue effect, but getting a bull to cooperate was a real bitch.  

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 5:04pm
"I vaguely remember that the members of the Texas Wesleyan University tt team back in the '90s tryed bull semen mixed with d-limonene and Bosco Milk Amplifier.  This gave a pretty good speed glue effect, but getting a bull to cooperate was a real bitch.  "

Pretty sure if Liu Gouliang says he wants the semen of Brama bull , or Bald Eagle, Beluga whale or whatever, for table tennis purposes, nothing in the universe will stop it from happening!!

FdT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

I was just teasing Baal, he knew what I meant and he was ok with it.

Very much ok.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

I was just teasing Baal, he knew what I meant and he was ok with it.

I want to know if boosted rubber allow more spin and
speed than glue era players and how much is the difference? 20% faster .any scientific data?

I would be surprised if someone doesn't have data somewhere on this.  But I doubt it is easily found or maybe not in English. 

If it is there, zeio will post it, I suspect.

I don't think boosted rubbers now are faster than speed glued Bryce Speed FX!  Or necessarily spinnier either.  It has been almost a decade, though, so it could be that all of us who are used to Tenergy and stuff might find speedglue a bit hard to use now, or at least not as comfortable as we all remember.  I know that all of the really good players I know were complaining constantly from about 2008-2010 about missing their old stuff.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 9:42pm
As a former EJ and speed gluer from 1991-1997 (we're talkin' Brendling balsa walnut/mahogany/koto/ash/limba combinations plastered with Mark V GPS, Mark V AD, Schildkrot V-Max, Bufferfly Tackifire, Donic Vario Soft, Donic Supersonic 40 marinated in Tip-Top, Vulcofux, Spinny Top and Butterfly Unfair Chack) I fell somewhat qualified to write about my experiences with speed gluing and its deleterious effects upon this noble sport of ours.

First of all, if you were a chronic habitual speed gluer, this stuff will definitely kill you sooner or later.  No kidding.  I'm serious.  Speed glue was never intended for children, pregnant women, or even adults.  Frankly, I'm surprised I survived.  Many didn't.  In 1992 alone, speed glue did in more table tennis players than fires, floods, pestilence, famine, automobile accidents, gun violence and skateboarding combined.

Speed gluing will also eff up your short game.  Let's say your opponent breaks off a decent short right to left sidespin/underspin serve.  He's a speed gluer just like you are.  You think no problem, I'll just continue his spin with a right/left  backhand short push.  Squisho!  Right into the net.

Now it's your turn.  You break off a respectable right/left sidespin/underspin serve which you hope will be a two-bouncer.  It wasn't.  Opponent steps around his backhand and gloops a forehand loop right into your backhand.  What to do?  No time to think.  So you attempt to block it back.  Kazowie!  Your ball heads straight for the Kuiper asteroid belt.

Need I mention that speed gluing dumbed down the game?  It reduced tt to a hide your serve, kill the return, pause while your opponent goes back to the barrier to pick up the ball.  Defense?  Fuhgeddaboutit.

Speed gluing led to the extinction of the 38 mm. Nittaku Japan 3-star ball, the most perfect spheroid the mind of humankind had yet to devise.  It led to the 40 mm. ball, then the 40+ mm. ball, equipment madness and extortionate prices.  

As for the practice of boosting, I cannot personally comment on its effects, as boosting came in after I had to leave competitive table tennis due to injury, essential tremor, and going nuts for a year (2006).
Boosting probably won't kill you.  And I daresay it's at least as effective as bull semen, d-limonene, and Bosco Milk Amplifier.

Edited by berndt_mann - 01/25/2017 at 5:25pm
bmann1942
el luchador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 10:40pm
@berndt_mann

Kazowie!!! ,I was almost laughing tears reading that post
Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 9:33am
"  In 1992 alone, speed glue did in more table tennis players than fires, floods, pestilence, famine, automobile accidents, gun violence and skateboarding combined."

Ok, in the interest of conversation, is there any documentation, link, article that has any info regarding players succumbing to the noxious gasses from speed glue? Just curious.....I mean, thats quite the claim there....

FdT
el luchador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 10:18am
Another question - this one may be hard to answer.

If speed glue tenses up the sponge, and the sponge remains under tension even after all the VOCs have evaportated, wouldn't there still be some advantage to be found by speed gluing vs water based glues?

Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 11:14am
We need zeio.  Haven't seen him in a awhile.  He at one point found a bunch of old patents for speed glues that described the principle of how they worked, but I really don't remember the physical chemistry behind it and am not sufficiently curious to actually find them.

In practical terms, the effect dissipated quickly, so you definitely need the VOCs to still be there.  In effect, once the rubber stopped giving off fumes, your speed glue effect was mostly gone.  Of course, everybody in the room was breathing those fumes.  That meant re-gluing right before each time you played, which I really don't miss doing.  In the earliest days, the glues contained halogenated hydrocarbon solvents -- really bad from a toxicological perspective.  In the early 90s the companies changed their formulas to things that were probably not so nasty, but still, you were sniffing glue.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 11:23am
I remember there were long lasting speed glued whose effects would last a couple of days. But I still hated them and felt I llost some matches because I did not get the quantity or timing of speed glue right even though I never complained it as excuses for my losses.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 11:30am
From what I have read and from limited experience, the sponge expands when the glue gets absorbed by the sponge, the sponge being attached to the rubber sheet exerts tension upon the rubber, the effect of this is the doming effect you see on pictures, once you glue the rubber onto the blade and the rubber is flat against the blade there is tension on the top sheet. But the effects goes away as the VOCs escape during the next few days. Leaving the top sheet stretched. I have experienced some rubbers shrinking after having being expanded and the top sheet loses its elasticity. There is a limit on how many times you can boost/speed glue a rubber. Once you reach this limit the rubber feels dead. Nothing will revive it, not even if the Pope comes from the Vatican to spray holy water on your rubber!

FdT
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

We need zeio.  Haven't seen him in a awhile.  He at one point found a bunch of old patents for speed glues that described the principle of how they worked, but I really don't remember the physical chemistry behind it and am not sufficiently curious to actually find them..............

All those details are on the old table tennis forum on about.com. There was an USA maker of table tennis equipment who used give all the makers' background information regarding rubbers, blades and glues. I've forgotten his name. He was Iranian by ancestry, I think.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

From what I have read and from limited experience, the sponge expands when the glue gets absorbed by the sponge, the sponge being attached to the rubber sheet exerts tension upon the rubber, the effect of this is the doming effect you see on pictures, once you glue the rubber onto the blade and the rubber is flat against the blade there is tension on the top sheet. But the effects goes away as the VOCs escape during the next few days. Leaving the top sheet stretched. I have experienced some rubbers shrinking after having being expanded and the top sheet loses its elasticity. There is a limit on how many times you can boost/speed glue a rubber. Once you reach this limit the rubber feels dead. Nothing will revive it, not even if the Pope comes from the Vatican to spray holy water on your rubber!

FdT

For sure that's a big part of it, it is certainly how I always thought about it.  However, I recall from old posts that there is quite a bit more to it than that.  It related to how the pores in the sponge behave, and phase transitions of gas inside the pores when the ball hits that absorb energy and all sorts of stuff like that which really doesn't matter much now. 

Anyway, to my everlasting shame, I have provided people all the information they need to check out the effect for themselves, just for historical perspective or to satisfy their curiosity. 
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 2:37pm
So I've seen pictures of both when the topsheet is on the outside of the dome, and the topsheet is on the inside. assuming it's the sponge expanding, and thus forcing the rubber to stretch, it makes sense that the sponge should be on the outside of the dome (e.g. whichever side is expanding more creates the greater surface area).

so if a rubber is domed where the topsheet is on the outside, does that mean that the rubber has been treated in a way that it expands and not the sponge? 
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

We need zeio.  Haven't seen him in a awhile.  He at one point found a bunch of old patents for speed glues that described the principle of how they worked, but I really don't remember the physical chemistry behind it and am not sufficiently curious to actually find them.

Do you mean this?

It's pretty easy to find, just search 'speed glue' on Wikipedia and check the footnotes/sources.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 3:53pm
That's why you're the chairman.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 4:04pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by coffeeholic coffeeholic wrote:

So I've seen pictures of both when the topsheet is on the outside of the dome, and the topsheet is on the inside. assuming it's the sponge expanding, and thus forcing the rubber to stretch, it makes sense that the sponge should be on the outside of the dome (e.g. whichever side is expanding more creates the greater surface area).

so if a rubber is domed where the topsheet is on the outside, does that mean that the rubber has been treated in a way that it expands and not the sponge? 

With speed glues the sponge formed the outside of the dome. That is because it expands more than the topsheet
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2017 at 8:02pm

"  In 1992 alone, speed glue did in more table tennis players than fires, floods, pestilence, famine, automobile accidents, gun violence and skateboarding combined."

Ok, in the interest of conversation, is there any documentation, link, article that has any info regarding players succumbing to the noxious gasses from speed glue? Just curious.....I mean, thats quite the claim there....

FdT

It's a well known alternative fact, Jack.
bmann1942
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:04am
"It's a well known alternative fact, Jack."

I don't disbelieve your claim. I only asked for specific info, like, who, when, what, which supports your claim. I don't doubt the VOCs are noxious, I just don't know to what extent, and what the potential consequences are.

FdT

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:45am
FdT,

It's hard to say.  A lot of toxicology is random, you are just lucky or unlucky if some poison you have been exposed to binds to your DNA in just the right way, etc. etc. etc. (More often, it is a metabolite of the poison, but this is a detail). The odds of something bad happening of course increase as the concentration of the poison increases, or if the duration or frequency of your exposure to the poison increases, and in populations of people, or in people in certain occupations, you can specify a risk. 

But whether that one particular speed glue exposure is going to give cancer to that one particular player, impossible to say.  Same reason why once in a while smokers live to be 90.  They got lucky.  But make no mistake, smoking is bad for you. 

I don't personally know of anyone who passed out from speed glue fumes, i.e. acute toxicity, but I have to say, a few times back when my club was in a smaller and poorly ventilated space, I remember getting one hell of a headache when we are all using speed glue + lighter fluid at about 7 PM at the start of the evening.  A few times I wondered WTF we were all doing and kind of asked myself, don't you know better?

Like I said, I definitely don't miss this stuff.

Some of the solvents in the later generations of speed glue are actually not all that bad from a toxicology point of view (like in the patent Chairman Meow found).  The halogenated hydrocarbons that were used in the 80s, though, they were really bad.

(I had to take a graduate course in toxicology back in about 1982, I can't say I remember a whole lot more than the basics).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:58am
"I don't personally know of anyone who passed out from speed glue fumes, i.e. acute toxicity, but I have to say, a few times back when my club was in a smaller and poorly ventilated space, I remember getting one hell of a headache when we are all using speed glue + lighter fluid at about 7 PM at the start of the evening.  A few times I wondered WTF we were all doing and kind of asked myself, don't you know better?"

I hear ya. I remember watching an article about the practice of smelling paint and how those chemicals affected the brain. Scary shit!! I can imagine smelling fumes from vulcanizing glues can have similar effects on the brain.

FdT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 4:29pm

"It's a well known alternative fact, Jack."

I don't disbelieve your claim. I only asked for specific info, like, who, when, what, which supports your claim. I don't doubt the VOCs are noxious, I just don't know to what extent, and what the potential consequences are.

FdT

Alternative facts are facts which come from an alternative point of view, unfamiliar to those who insist on conditions of evidence and logical soundness.  I use them sarcastically while trying (successfully?) to be amusing; Kellyanne Conway, spokesperson for our newly elected President, uses them whenever she finds them to be convenient, which is just about all of the time.
bmann1942
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic