tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

2017 Qatar Open Feb. 21- Feb. 26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 9:26am
FZD is still no way near beating ML. ML has so many weapons and FZD seems to have one only. I feel that ML kind of let the 4th and 5th games go.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 9:48am
ML is still the king
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 9:54am
He can win points so many different ways now that he doesn't have to use speed and power all the time anymore. With much better BH and still the best FH, he is likely to continue his dorminance for a few more years, despite his feet are not as fast as they used to
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 12:00pm
Even though my favorite forever will be ZJK, I think the 2015-2017 ML is probably the best TT player of all time. ML today is so much better than 4 years ago when he lost to WH. 
But not perfect. His BH is very stable now, he doesn't shy away from BH-BH with FZD, but he doesn't have the torque I like. You know what I'm talking about - the kind of torque that dual turbo engines make, with Max at 1200 RPM..
So we'll see, maybe FZD 2020 will be even better player. His style is a little ugly for me - just bang-bang and no subtlety.

Edited by Victor_the_cleaner - 02/26/2017 at 12:01pm
Tt Gold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 1:30pm
I really like fang bo's style. He plays very similar to the older ma long. If he manages to improve on his backhand, as well as his forehand consistency he could reach an even higher level. He already got one of the most powerful forehands, even has more power in his forehand than ma long.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 1:55pm
FB has indeed a ver similar game as ML's and improved a lot in his BH too. But I am not sure he has a stronger FH than ML. FB's biggest barrier to me is his mentality-he does not seem to be not as hungry to win as other top Chinese players.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
kindof99 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 2:00pm
Really bored to see FZD serve the same serve for all the tournament.  His far forehand serves seemed to give ML some trouble in the 4th and 5th game. But on the 6th game, ML simply flipped it and FZD had no solution. 

ML is probably here to give FZD more lessons on game strategies. 
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I really like fang bo's style. He plays very similar to the older ma long. If he manages to improve on his backhand, as well as his forehand consistency he could reach an even higher level. He already got one of the most powerful forehands, even has more power in his forehand than ma long.

Fang Bo played so well in the Qatar Open. He really out-did what I think he could do in terms of consistency and anticipation.

He is a very quick player. But doesn't seem to be more powerful than Ma Long to me.

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 3:41pm
The underachiever of the tournament is really Liang Jingkun. He must have mental issues. He has all the tools required to blast right through people like a hot knife through butter. I bet he plays like a God in practice. But in the matches, he is inconsistent on the forehand. And his short game is not the best. He needs a Yu Ziyang short game.
chroot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

The underachiever of the tournament is really Liang Jingkun. He must have mental issues. He has all the tools required to blast right through people like a hot knife through butter. I bet he plays like a God in practice. But in the matches, he is inconsistent on the forehand. And his short game is not the best. He needs a Yu Ziyang short game.

Not really :)

BTY Viscaria 93g
DHS Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge, 40/2.2
Nittaku Fastarc G-1 max

My Feedbacks
CroNone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CroNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 6:00pm
In Game 6 ML started cho-ing in the first few points. Dragon mode. There's no stopping him when he's pumped.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 10:42pm
It has been not the first time when ML builds a lead and then "lets" the other guy almost catch up, just to beat him in the end. 
I have been wondering about it for some time... One possibility is that he knows the power of his FH shots is the ultimate weapon and, after having spend a lot of energy in the key 2-3 opening games, he afterwards needs about a couple of games to rebuild the stamina necessary for this shot. 
This is probably frequently mistaken for some psychological game, or for nervousness, or for lack of killer instinct, but I think it is just recharging his physical powers needed for that killer loop.
(1) Stiga Cipper Wood (ST, 92 g) with Focus 3 Snipe (red, 2.1 mm, 42 deg) on FH and 0.6mm Dr N. Desperado on BH (2) Juic SBA (Fl, 94 g) with Nimbus Soft (red max) on FH and 0.5mm Curl P1R on BH
kindof99 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 10:58pm
During the first three games, FZD was totally controlled by ML. I am wondering what FZD has tried to beat ML for the past two years. But it appears that ML still owns FZD, probably for a couple of years at least.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Can't watch anything due to existing TV rights.  Not sure what that objectively means.

So did anyone watch on FloSports?

Join FloPRO for Access to 2017 ITTF Qatar Open

Coverage begins at 5:35am EST on Feb 25, 2017 and continues through Feb 26, 2017

https://www.flotennis.com/live/2364-2017-ittf-qatar-open/signup?next=http://live.flotennis.com/#/event/2364-2017-ittf-qatar-open
Tt Gold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 1:03am
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Fang Bo played so well in the Qatar Open. He really out-did what I think he could do in terms of consistency and anticipation.

He is a very quick player. But doesn't seem to be more powerful than Ma Long to me.

With powerful I don't mean better, I just mean that his forehand penetrates the ball more thus making it harder to return. Obviously ma long gas the overall better forehand.
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 7:35am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

During the first three games, FZD was totally controlled by ML. I am wondering what FZD has tried to beat ML for the past two years. But it appears that ML still owns FZD, probably for a couple of years at least.

It's just bad short game touch by FZD....I couldn't count how many times he has given Ma Long clean opportunities to end the point with his floaty low spin pushes. He just needs to take a few more lessons from ZJK and Ma Lin, instead of Wang Hao all the time who didn't have a great short game touch either. Or maybe FZD needs a slower blade? LOLLOL 

-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 7:55am
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

FB has indeed a ver similar game as ML's and improved a lot in his BH too. But I am not sure he has a stronger FH than ML. FB's biggest barrier to me is his mentality-he does not seem to be not as hungry to win as other top Chinese players.

I think FB's game was unfortunately developed for the speed glue era, where spin, consistency and powerful shots ruled. His problem is that his FH stroke is way too big (almost like a WLQ stroke), and that causes him to be jammed by speedy players like FZD and Ma Long. Nowadays with the plastic balls, a good powerful spinny loop just doesn't get the same amount of respect as it did before, it just gets countered back easily, so you have to maintain or increase the pressure for the next shot which is not easy to do when you have a big stroke like his. Furthermore, his BH stroke structure is outdated as he doesn't use his legs and waist turn a lot, unlike players like ZJK and FZD and even Ma Long. This causes him to produce less pressure from the BH and it just doesn't cut it in this modern cutthroat fast table tennis game thanks to the ITTF. 
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
fortunateluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortunateluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 8:33am

Really bored to see FZD serve the same serve for all the tournament.  His far forehand serves seemed to give ML some trouble in the 4th and 5th game. But on the 6th game, ML simply flipped it and FZD had no solution. 

ML is probably here to give FZD more lessons on game strategies. 

I think FZD's problem maybe that he has no coach who can give him guidance and strategy when he plays against players like ML who is more seasoned. This is something that he will have to develop over time, as ML used to have that same problem for years.

Edited by fortunateluck - 02/27/2017 at 8:45am
kindof99 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 8:37am
Who is FZD's coach after his former coach Coach Wu retired?
igorponger View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:23am

Edited by igorponger - 02/27/2017 at 9:24am
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:30am
Xu Xin seems to always slip by the critics. lol

Ma Long is just better than everybody else.....FZD is not quite all the way there yet.
who no know go know
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by fortunateluck fortunateluck wrote:

I think FZD's problem maybe that he has no coach who can give him guidance and strategy when he plays against players like ML who is more seasoned. This is something that he will have to develop over time, as ML used to have that same problem for years.

I think this hits the nail on the head.  The main issue is that these matches occur when coaches are not around and Ma Long's game is not fundamentally defective unlike say Xu Xin.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Donier RR Off Oversized FL
FH: Hexer 2.1 B
BH: Hexer 2.1 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
incarnation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote incarnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 11:13am

Wang Hao is FZD's coach now 
Xiom Vega Euro
Xiom Omega V Max
kindof99 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by incarnation incarnation wrote:

In the national team? or only at the province team?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 1:22pm
As of this moment, he and XX don't have a designated coach.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 1:23pm

Originally posted by incarnation incarnation wrote:

In the national team? or only at the province team?

Coach and buffet buddy!
Blade: BBC Hinoki Ghost
FH: Black MX-P
BH: Red MX-P
My Feedback
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 1:45pm
Ma Long is known to have an extremely fast start with his variation game. Against weaker players it is a quick 4:0 but stronger players can recover and take a game or two. So it is not like he lets up...

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

It has been not the first time when ML builds a lead and then "lets" the other guy almost catch up, just to beat him in the end. 
I have been wondering about it for some time... One possibility is that he knows the power of his FH shots is the ultimate weapon and, after having spend a lot of energy in the key 2-3 opening games, he afterwards needs about a couple of games to rebuild the stamina necessary for this shot. 
This is probably frequently mistaken for some psychological game, or for nervousness, or for lack of killer instinct, but I think it is just recharging his physical powers needed for that killer loop.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Ma Long is known to have an extremely fast start with his variation game. Against weaker players it is a quick 4:0 but stronger players can recover and take a game or two. So it is not like he lets up...

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

I think we are talking the same thing.
(1) Stiga Cipper Wood (ST, 92 g) with Focus 3 Snipe (red, 2.1 mm, 42 deg) on FH and 0.6mm Dr N. Desperado on BH (2) Juic SBA (Fl, 94 g) with Nimbus Soft (red max) on FH and 0.5mm Curl P1R on BH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic