FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

H3-50 / hurricane 8 boosting yes or no

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3-50 / hurricane 8 boosting yes or no
    Posted: 01/28/2017 at 11:55pm
Is there a need to boost H3-50 or other newer hurricane variants?
Any obvious advantages vs disadvantages
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
Sponsored Links

Stanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2017 at 12:51am
In my opinion for these rubbers, you probably don't have to because they have the 40+ sign on the bottom right. E.g. http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/dhs-hurricane-3-50 - magnify the picture and you will see the 40+ at the bottom right. These usually play well with the plastic ball. I've never tried the 3-50 before but I have tried the H8 and I can tell you, it has plenty of spin and power.  It's just heavy to use so it's pretty physically demanding. You can definitely boost them for more spin and speed though, but that will decrease the durability of your rubber since it makes the sponge more unstable and there is always the risk of bubbles forming on your rubber surface if you don't do a good job. Dan, from tabletennisdaily did a review on the H8 and after boosting with dianchi oil, there wasn't much of a difference. If you are going to boost, I'd say it's better to use Chinese boosters like haifu or dianchi oil. It'll take a few days. I have personally never boosted but I've played with rackets in which the hurricane has been boosted and it varies depending on how it was boosted and what was used to boost it. If you don't want to take the time to boost and don't want the mess, I'd say just use H8, H3-50, or H3 provincial. I am currently using H3 provincial which was sold at my club's equipment shop and it's like my H3 neo but with more elasticity. The spin is way more and the power is way more. The sponge is the same hardness as my H3 neo and it plays like my H3 neo during lower power but performs completely different when I put more power into it. (This is the one I have: http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/dhs-hurricane-3-provincial-39-degrees - notice that is also has the 40+ sign on it.)
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2017 at 5:35am
don't need to boost them. they fast enough already
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

If they were boosted do they become unplayable??
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
jasonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2017 at 9:37am
I boosted my and they played awesome especially H3-50
Jason Z

Stiga Xu Xin Dynasty
FH DHS TG -60 Soft
BH DHS H3 white sponge pro
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2017 at 9:55am
Originally posted by viva viva wrote:

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

If they were boosted do they become unplayable??

no. not unplayable. boosted is good too
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2017 at 10:53am
For H8, definitely one should boost. It's sticky and much slower compared to H3 both unboosted.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
Stanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2017 at 10:54am
Boosting softens up the sponge and basically makes the sponge unstable which is why you use thin coatings of the booster and let it dry for days on its own. The result of a soften sponge is that it increases elasticity and dwell time on the rubber. More elasticity means more power. More dwell time means more spin. At the same time if done incorrectly such as putting too much of one layer, the oil put in may concentrate on certain spots of the rubber and ruin the rubber which is why you might see some spots of bulges or uneven surfaces of a persons racket. This can mess up your performance and accuracy, and may be a reason people won't play you because you're unpredictable. But if done correctly, you might get more out of your product. Hurricane 8 is pretty expensive in my opinion, so you might wanna refrain from boosting. A lot of the newer dhs rubbers that have 40+ written on they offer more elasticity and spin compared to rubbers like hurricane 3, hurricane 3 neo, hurricane 2, etc from the old generation which don't have 40+ written on them. So if you want to boost, do it for those rubbers (although h3 neo I find is playable and has a bit of speed without boosting as well).
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2017 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Stanny Stanny wrote:

Boosting softens up the sponge and basically makes the sponge unstable which is why you use thin coatings of the booster and let it dry for days on its own. The result of a soften sponge is that it increases elasticity and dwell time on the rubber. More elasticity means more power. More dwell time means more spin. At the same time if done incorrectly such as putting too much of one layer, the oil put in may concentrate on certain spots of the rubber and ruin the rubber which is why you might see some spots of bulges or uneven surfaces of a persons racket. This can mess up your performance and accuracy, and may be a reason people won't play you because you're unpredictable. But if done correctly, you might get more out of your product. Hurricane 8 is pretty expensive in my opinion, so you might wanna refrain from boosting. A lot of the newer dhs rubbers that have 40+ written on they offer more elasticity and spin compared to rubbers like hurricane 3, hurricane 3 neo, hurricane 2, etc from the old generation which don't have 40+ written on them. So if you want to boost, do it for those rubbers (although h3 neo I find is playable and has a bit of speed without boosting as well).

what modern dhs rubber can be used by a 10yo kid that can helps him to make spinny strokes and easy to use doesnt matter if its a tad slow similar grip like h3neo?
Stanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2017 at 1:06am
what modern dhs rubber can be used by a 10yo kid that can helps him to make spinny strokes and easy to use doesnt matter if its a tad slow similar grip like h3neo?[/QUOTE]

In general, most DHS rubbers are hard to use and they are heavy too. If you just want to make spinny strokes easily, there are lots of other rubbers like tenergy 05, rakza 7, andro rasant grip to name a few. DHS rubbers or chinese rubbers I should say are generally good for serves. The whole point of using DHS rubbers or chinese rubbers is to hit the ball hard/brush the ball very fast. This is generally physically demanding and given the weight of the rubber, lots of kids will get tired really easily. If you try to use full power in your hits or full brush with other rubbers, you'll find that most of the time, you'll lose control at one point and the ball may fly out or hit the net. At such a young age, I feel it may be better to use other chinese rubbers like Palio or 729 and teach them the proper brushing mechanics. This was how I started, and then I gradually transitioned to hurricane 3 neo. I have lots of friends who skipped that step and started off with just tenergy and donic rubbers, etc. And they ended up not being able to play with chinese rubbers because their mechanics were so different, whereas I can play with most rubbers, after making a few small adjustments to my strokes.

Anyhow, if you're still insistent. I would still recommend h3neo, although 2.15 thickness would be better than 2.2. 2.2 is just too heavy and may dampen a person's feel for the ball. You can try other ones like Hurricane 8, Hurricane 3-50 (many versions), Skyline 3-60 (many versions), or Hurricane 3 provincial (which I just recently switched to) but these are heavy. I find them heavy and I'm a tall guy with quite a bit of muscle. It's also a really slow process as well, so I don't know if it'll be acceptable to the kid. Lots of kids want fast results and get really upset and may end up hating the sport if they don't. And by slow, I'd give it a few months before it becomes natural to them.
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2017 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

what modern dhs rubber can be used by a 10yo kid that can helps him to make spinny strokes and easy to use doesnt matter if its a tad slow similar grip like h3neo?

H350, you can boost it as well,.
Mine boosted plays like a dream
My trade feedback here:
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2017 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Stanny Stanny wrote:

In general, most DHS rubbers are hard to use and they are heavy too. If you just want to make spinny strokes easily, there are lots of other rubbers like tenergy 05, rakza 7, andro rasant grip to name a few. DHS rubbers or chinese rubbers I should say are generally good for serves. The whole point of using DHS rubbers or chinese rubbers is to hit the ball hard/brush the ball very fast. This is generally physically demanding and given the weight of the rubber, lots of kids will get tired really easily. If you try to use full power in your hits or full brush with other rubbers, you'll find that most of the time, you'll lose control at one point and the ball may fly out or hit the net. At such a young age, I feel it may be better to use other chinese rubbers like Palio or 729 and teach them the proper brushing mechanics. This was how I started, and then I gradually transitioned to hurricane 3 neo. I have lots of friends who skipped that step and started off with just tenergy and donic rubbers, etc. And they ended up not being able to play with chinese rubbers because their mechanics were so different, whereas I can play with most rubbers, after making a few small adjustments to my strokes.

Anyhow, if you're still insistent. I would still recommend h3neo, although 2.15 thickness would be better than 2.2. 2.2 is just too heavy and may dampen a person's feel for the ball. You can try other ones like Hurricane 8, Hurricane 3-50 (many versions), Skyline 3-60 (many versions), or Hurricane 3 provincial (which I just recently switched to) but these are heavy. I find them heavy and I'm a tall guy with quite a bit of muscle. It's also a really slow process as well, so I don't know if it'll be acceptable to the kid. Lots of kids want fast results and get really upset and may end up hating the sport if they don't. And by slow, I'd give it a few months before it becomes natural to them.
[/QUOTE]

maybe an midfast euro rubber coz baracuda 1.8 is too bouncy in yasaka all round.stiga almana tibhar rapid?
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2017 at 10:31am
I second Tibhar Rapid, VarySpin is also good inexpensive all-round rubber.....I guess there are many more and the choice has to be mmade depending on the blade the kid will be using.
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I second Tibhar Rapid, VarySpin is also good inexpensive all-round rubber.....I guess there are many more and the choice has to be mmade depending on the blade the kid will be using.

what blade do you recomend for that rubber?
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2017 at 11:48am
H3-50 does need boosting. Without boosting it feels very slow to me away from the table.

Even one layer makes a huge difference.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic