tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

2017 Europe Top 16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 11:04am
I think Gauzy was upset when they clapped hands. Shibaev clapped hand and then kind of pulled his hand down in a certain way that upset Gauzy. 

That was a nice match and a shame to see this happened at the end.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 2:37pm
I replayed the hand slap, and tbh I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  Shibaev raised his hand to acknowledge the crowd.  Gauzy's hand was lower than his so he had to slide downwards to slap it.  He didn't slap it hard or angrily so I'm not sure what Gauzy took exception too.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by GSP-glamour GSP-glamour wrote:

Hello everyone !IMHO ,Shibaev's  behaviour after the match was unsportsmanship because he showed disrespect by not shaking hand.

In 90% of the matches nowadays people simply do the hand-slap instead of shaking hands.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Stef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 6:36pm
I believe Gauzy was mad because Shibaev used his left hand. Just hand-slapping might be quite normal now, but NOT with the other hand.

It may not have been totally intentional - the "slap" came very suddenly - but I would certainly regard it as a disrespectful act if I was Gauzy...

Edited by Stef - 02/07/2017 at 6:45pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Stef Stef wrote:

I believe Gauzy was mad because Shibaev used his left hand. Just hand-slapping might be quite normal now, but NOT with the other hand.

It may not have been totally intentional - the "slap" came very suddenly - but I would certainly regard it as a disrespectful act if I was Gauzy...

Ttlondon2012 posted a chat with Gauzy where Gauzy said as much and claimed that Shibaev said he didn't deserve a right hand...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Donier RR Off Oversized FL
FH: Hexer 2.1 B
BH: Hexer 2.1 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
danseemiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 9:58am
Gauzy was upset losing an 8-2 lead in that game. That was the real cause of the confrontation..
DS
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 10:27am
90% seems high...i guess if you included mens/womens asian matches, but in europe, alot less...at least it seems that way in the euro leagues on all the youtube channels...
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Ttlondon2012 posted a chat with Gauzy where Gauzy said as much and claimed that Shibaev said he didn't deserve a right hand...

That really sounds a bit too complicated. I am not even sure Shibaev is THAT fluent in English or French...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
bard romance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

That really sounds a bit too complicated. I am not even sure Shibaev is THAT fluent in English or French...

I'm sure Gauzy was no saint in this situation. Definitely seems like he was looking for something to get irritated about (fact is he blew a big lead), but, you can clearly hear Shibaev say "only my left hand I can do", so that supports Gauzy's statement to some degree. All in all, just a little immaturity and poor sportsmanship from both sides I think we can all agree. 

Edited by bard romance - 02/08/2017 at 10:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic