tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Gauzy and Shibaev almost "on hands"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2017 at 3:58pm
Oh my God!!! So much intence.... I kinda like it cause I have never seen again players to loose their temper so much.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2017 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

After the match he says about shibaev "he is an accomplished fool; nobody likes him on the tour and  it's the same every match."

What exactly did he say (in French) about the incident? I tried to listen to the video but my conversational French is quite bad (I can read a bit but...)
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2017 at 9:07pm
Journalist: "what happened at the end you had some words with him?"

Gauzy: "huh could I put it without being too familiar? huh...he is an accomplished fool; nobody likes him on the tour and  it's the same every match."
even with a fool like him, I would not try to get a point like that; I would have fought more if I had thought it had hit but it did not."

Personal thoughts? I think Gauzy took advantage of Shibaev's reputation in the heat of the action; Gauzy provoked Shibaev.

That slap hand to hand is done ALL THE TIME after the last point; then Gauzy keeps staring: it's obvious he wants to pick up a fight...Shibaev was in control. Gauzy showed a dark side of himself; also saying "nobody likes him on the tour" is so childish.

Edited by fatt - 02/06/2017 at 10:35pm
( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) feedback
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 5:56am
Fatt, couldn't agree more.....
4x Hallmark Carbon Extreme
FH: T64 and Similar
BH: Nothing Helps
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 11:16am
True story fatt, but this statement was just after the game ended and right after the fight, so what you expect? It is quite normal for me for a person (not only Gauzy, but every other guy younger or older) to say some "bad" words for someone that had just fought with. He was really  bad tempered at that time...I believe that if he would make some statements after some hour or hours, he would say some other, more clever words to describe the incident. And I say that cause his coach, the head-umpire, or even Gauzy himself would think to use more polite words on the record, after he has calmed down a bit.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 7:46pm

I think Gauzy took advantage of Shibaev's reputation in the heat of the action; Gauzy provoked Shibaev.

Exactly. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 8:07pm
Shibaev gave Gauzy a left hand shake.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Xiom Vega Pro FL
FH: Karis M B
BH: Karis M R
Lumberjack TT Exponent
No train, no gain.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 10:15pm
Does it matter? Were there any malicious intent? Left hand slap is unacceptable and disrespectful? Really?
I heard that explanation of the "game" concept on npr: "it teaches you to win with modesty, lose with dignity but above all it teaches you to play by the rules." In my book rules were not broken; shibaev did not overly celebrate (I just saw the normal happiness); for sure my fellow did not lose with dignity.
I am sure shibaev is your typical bad boy people like to hang out with. People like gauzy will jealous their charisma and confront them publicly in that kind of pathetic showing but would defecate in their underwear while being with them alone in a dark alley. Shibaev's body language had nothing wrong in that clip. Gauzy?
Gauzy made a mistake. Especially when treating shibaev a fool, twice: What did that make out of himself?

Edited by fatt - 02/07/2017 at 10:27pm
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 10:29pm
I wanted to add I am a fan of gauzy's and I was embarrassed like when you see a friend doing wrong and you can't do anything about it.
bard romance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 11:16pm
Apparently, according to Gauzy, Shibaev told him that "you don't deserve to shake my right hand".

A couple posters here who were speaking in definite terms and jumping to conclusions, might want to retract their statements.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 12:06am
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Apparently, according to Gauzy, Shibaev told him that "you don't deserve to shake my right hand".

A couple posters here who were speaking in definite terms and jumping to conclusions, might want to retract their statements.
"you don't deserve to shake my right hand": is it even true? even if it is, is it that bad? so at the highest level of a sport a bit of trash talk like "you don't deserve to shake my right hand" is not authorized anymore? only if you are top of the mlb, nba, nfl, nhl etc... you can trash talk and be cool but if it happens in tt then you are a bad person? come on! 
Gauzy did not lose in dignity and he has a lesson to learn about that episode if he wants to become world champion, which he can do schlager style, snatching the favorite's lunch before the world's flabbergasted eyes. If it does not work, Flore is right there  Big smile
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 12:13am
Test these guys for PEDs.  Roid rage?

(fatt, I have a sign in my office that says "il est interdit de faire le con")
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 12:25am

if you have some 'apparent' evidence - please share. Very interested.

Otherwise, im not retracting my statements every time a random fool (looking at you) says something.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Test these guys for PEDs.  Roid rage?

(fatt, I have a sign in my office that says "il est interdit de faire le con")
I saw that one in a bar in Africa, on the wall, where easy money neo-colonialists who could not succeed in France would think themselves as elite there; right beside a poster of the pope taking a dump and gloriously announcing "here I am no better than you".
Sur le mur d'en face il y avait les 2 règles les plus importantes:
#1 le chef a toujours raison
#2 quand le chef a tort, voir règle #1.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 4:44am

Does it matter? Were there any malicious intent? Left hand slap is unacceptable and disrespectful? Really?
I heard that explanation of the "game" concept on npr: "it teaches you to win with modesty, lose with dignity but above all it teaches you to play by the rules." In my book rules were not broken; shibaev did not overly celebrate (I just saw the normal happiness); for sure my fellow did not lose with dignity.
I am sure shibaev is your typical bad boy people like to hang out with. People like gauzy will jealous their charisma and confront them publicly in that kind of pathetic showing but would defecate in their underwear while being with them alone in a dark alley. Shibaev's body language had nothing wrong in that clip. Gauzy?
Gauzy made a mistake. Especially when treating shibaev a fool, twice: What did that make out of himself?

Shibaev said Gauzy didn't deserve to shake his right hand according to Gauzy.
danseemiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 7:17am
 They played at the worlds last year. 12-10 in the 5th for Gauzy 3-2. Shibaev walked away and did not shake Gauzy's hand after the loss. Maybe later but he walked away after shaking the umpire and Gauzy's coaches hand. 
DS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

if you have some 'apparent' evidence - please share. Very interested.

Otherwise, im not retracting my statements every time a random fool (looking at you) says something.

Gauzy said so himself on Facebook. Maybe he's lying, but I'm sure he knows more than victor the cleaner from mytabletennis.net. Only a "random fool" assume that anyone who has something to say is a "random fool". 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 8:07am

"you don't deserve to shake my right hand": is it even true? even if it is, is it that bad? so at the highest level of a sport a bit of trash talk like "you don't deserve to shake my right hand" is not authorized anymore? only if you are top of the mlb, nba, nfl, nhl etc... you can trash talk and be cool but if it happens in tt then you are a bad person? come on! 
Gauzy did not lose in dignity and he has a lesson to learn about that episode if he wants to become world champion, which he can do schlager style, snatching the favorite's lunch before the world's flabbergasted eyes. If it does not work, Flore is right there  Big smile

Do you just play devil's advocate, or do you actually believe that? Yeah, if someone told me that I don't deserve to shake their right, a) that's not trash talk that's just a straight dick move, b) I would have every right to get pissed. So you're saying trash talk is okay for Shibaev but then Gauzy has to act like a gentleman when confronted with it? Makes sense. 

You think that not losing in dignity is the reason that Gauzy isn't/probably won't ever be a world champ? Heard of a guy named Zhang Jike? 

Edited by bard romance - 02/08/2017 at 9:18am
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 9:18am
So we've heard one side of the story (Gauzy's) but have yet to hear the other side.  
But does it really matter if he used his left hand or right hand?  Is that a European thing where it's an insult when using the left hand?  Gauzy was to the left of Shibaev.  Shibaev already had his hand up to acknowledge the crowd and so did the table tennis hand slap with his left hand.  Seems to me Gauzy made something out of nothing.  I have nothing against Gauzy.  Gauzy is a great player with an enjoyable style to watch, and I hope to see more of him.  But the match is over.  Slap or shake hands and go home.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 9:36am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

So we've heard one side of the story (Gauzy's) but have yet to hear the other side.  
But does it really matter if he used his left hand or right hand?  Is that a European thing where it's an insult when using the left hand?  Gauzy was to the left of Shibaev.  Shibaev already had his hand up to acknowledge the crowd and so did the table tennis hand slap with his left hand.  Seems to me Gauzy made something out of nothing.  I have nothing against Gauzy.  Gauzy is a great player with an enjoyable style to watch, and I hope to see more of him.  But the match is over.  Slap or shake hands and go home.

I'm not sure how it's debatable that specifically telling someone that they don't deserve to shake your right hand is incredibly disrespectful. Maybe the handshake itself wasn't, and Gauzy took exception to it, but Shibaev saying that is nothing short of rude and disrespectful. 

After rewatching the video, I'm pretty sure Gauzy is telling the truth. When Shibaev goes to pick up his paddle, the audio doesn't pick up what he says at first, but you can clearly hear Gauzy say "what?", to which Shibaev replies "only my left hand I can do". 
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 10:13am

I'm not sure how it's debatable that specifically telling someone that they don't deserve to shake your right hand is incredibly disrespectful. Maybe the handshake itself wasn't, and Gauzy took exception to it, but Shibaev saying that is nothing short of rude and disrespectful. 

After rewatching the video, I'm pretty sure Gauzy is telling the truth. When Shibaev goes to pick up his paddle, the audio doesn't pick up what he says at first, but you can clearly hear Gauzy say "what?", to which Shibaev replies "only my left hand I can do". 

"only my left hand I can do" is not specifically telling someone that they don't deserve to shake your right hand.  Perhaps just miscommunication which Gauzy took the wrong way.  I've done the table tennis hand slap with the left hand a number of times for different reasons (player to my left, right hand holding blade, right arm tired, etc.) that in no way is meant to disrespect my opponent.  In any event, keep it classy guys (both Gauzy and Shibaev).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 10:19am

"only my left hand I can do" is not specifically telling someone that they don't deserve to shake your right hand.  Perhaps just miscommunication which Gauzy took the wrong way.  I've done the table tennis hand slap with the left hand a number of times for different reasons (player to my left, right hand holding blade, right arm tired, etc.) that in no way is meant to disrespect my opponent.  In any event, keep it classy guys (both Gauzy and Shibaev).

Clearly, Shibaev said something first which prompted Gauzy's angry "what?!", and that gives credibility to his statement that Shibaev said he didn't deserve it (the part of the video where the audio is indistinguishable) ...I'm not sure if you don't get it or if you don't want to get it? there are also differences between your casual match at the club and the Pro Tour and you doing it in certain situations doesn't make it right for other people in other scenarios. 

Edited by bard romance - 02/08/2017 at 10:21am
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 10:41am

Clearly, Shibaev said something first which prompted Gauzy's angry "what?!", and that gives credibility to his statement that Shibaev said he didn't deserve it (the part of the video where the audio is indistinguishable) ...I'm not sure if you don't get it or if you don't want to get it? there are also differences between your casual match at the club and the Pro Tour and you doing it in certain situations doesn't make it right for other people in other scenarios. 

I doubt that Shibaev is THAT fluent in English, and he could easily have mangled the words by accident. I recall an unfortunate accident with a friend of mine (who at the time could not really talk English, almost no communciation skills there) who was interviewing at a company, and while sitting in a room and waiting for his "handler" (let us call him John) some VP comes in to talk to him and asks him something, mentioning John. My friend, trying to say that John went out and will be back, said something like "Go out" instead of "he (John) went out" which to the other guy must have sounded pretty rude. He didn't get the job...

So stuff like that happens all the time when people are not native speakers with inferior command of a language.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 11:02am
Fair enough, could have been an unfortunate misunderstanding. In any event, didn't really end up with too much happening except some yapping LOL
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 3:26pm
(Baal)  Test these guys for PEDs.  Roid rage?

Nah, probably just a case of booster bedlam.  You never see Dark Siders doing stuff like that.

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
igorponger View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 11:38pm
SPORT IS A BLOODY JOB.

According to some academic studies, sport activities ( and especially where money interest involved) is much akin warfare, indeed.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 9:52am
I wish somebody had video of it but I have never found it.  Once Ilia Nastase went berserk at the French Open and ripped the line off a clay court at Roland Garos  to protest what he thought was a bad call.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 4:09pm
Having as much physical talent as he has, Shibaev by now would have accomplished much more in TT if not for his overgrown ego and rude outbursts/excesses (like kicking tables, throwing rackets, cussing etc). Not a particularly amiable player...
(1) Stiga Cipper Wood (ST, 92 g) with Focus 3 Snipe (red, 2.1 mm, 42 deg) on FH and 0.6mm Dr N. Desperado on BH (2) Juic SBA (Fl, 94 g) with Nimbus Soft (red max) on FH and 0.5mm Curl P1R on BH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 4:16pm
Oh my GOd, has he done so much in the past??? PLEASE guys, post any links please, I have no clue of these moments of Shibaev's!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 5:14pm
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic