Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short pimple recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short pimple recommendations
    Posted: 02/07/2017 at 5:52am
I am considering going back to short pimples.

I used about 10 years ago reissman orthodox pimples which I glued on to 1.0mm sponge.

these were very insensitive to spin and I was able to hit through most stuff off the bounce, shakehand backhand.

I wondered what people might recommend.
I will be putting them on a samsonov force pro blue, but might put them on a slower 5 ply if that is too uncontrollable

I want control and insensitivity to spin. I don't want spinny pimples, whats the point, I don't want long pimple devious effect.

I think I want fairly large pimples that I can basically hit off the bounce with. I have a pretty strong bh in general.

im thinking friendship 802 original as a good starting point in 1.5mm or possibly something with a 1.0mm sponge fitted?

any opinions would be warmly welcomed, I will probably twiddle

does more sponge make them too bouncy and give opponent easy balls to counter?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Sponsored Links

kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 6:30am
Butterfly challenger attack.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 7:24am
Well, if you want to use SP for hitting then 1.0mm sponge will be too slow for finishing off a point with the new plastic ball. Maybe 1.8mm sponge is better to work with here. With a clipper-like construction, force pro is probably a very good choice for SP. I suggest you get 802 SP. I've used those in max sponge. I didn't found them to be bouncy enough to cause me problems like high pop ups during pushing. Tensor pips like waran/hexer are the bouncy ones. I've found that 5 ply blades with less than 6mm thickness are not good for pips if you want to attack.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 7:35am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

Well, if you want to use SP for hitting then 1.0mm sponge will be too slow for finishing off a point with the new plastic ball. Maybe 1.8mm sponge is better to work with here. With a clipper-like construction, force pro is probably a very good choice for SP. I suggest you get 802 SP. I've used those in max sponge. I didn't found them to be bouncy enough to cause me problems like high pop ups during pushing. Tensor pips like waran/hexer are the bouncy ones. I've found that 5 ply blades with less than 6mm thickness are not good for pips if you want to attack.

thanks I like the look of 802 as they seem less spinny. I have quite a powerful bh I used hit enough winners with 1.0mm in the celluloid days but maybe the ball had an effect.
I tried tsp spin magic very briefly in 1.5mm but I used a carbon blade that was wildy too fast for them for me.

I don't want too much sponge if it will be too bouncy??
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 8:22am
I didn't find 802 much bouncy, maybe it was because I was coming from 1st gen ESN tensors at the time (nimbus soft). So, it probably was "relatively" not-bouncy for me. I'm guessing you'll be fine with 1.5 mm on an all wood blade. I used 802 with mystery iii sponge, which I've heard is more firm compared to the regular softer sponge that I've never used.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 8:23am
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 10:10am
I have used lp frictionless and friction, reissman sp with sponge, all thickness of Tibhar super defence even 0.5 and still been able to hit bhs with them

I want to take the ball early and hit throught the spin, but I don't want it too bouncy so I can be more aggressive against sidespin serves etc
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 11:09am
So give 1.0mm a try then. Given your past experiance with pips, you'll probably be more comfortable with 1.0mm thick sponge. Flat hitting dosen't involve sponge anyway, it's only when driving you need thicker sponge to generate enough spin to keep the ball on table. I drive a lot more so thicker sponge becomes more important to me that way.
rulia View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 3:14am
killer 1.5
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 11:36am

So give 1.0mm a try then. Given your past experiance with pips, you'll probably be more comfortable with 1.0mm thick sponge. Flat hitting dosen't involve sponge anyway, it's only when driving you need thicker sponge to generate enough spin to keep the ball on table. I drive a lot more so thicker sponge becomes more important to me that way.

the thinner you go will have more misshits
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

but surely more control against spin which is what I want otherwise I may as well stay inverted??
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 1:40pm

That's not true.  

It sounds like you're going hardbat. Try Dr Evil.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 2:19pm
I don't want to go that far, I think 1.0mm possibly 1.5mm at the most
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 5:24pm
Nittaku Hammond FA Speed is the best overall. Just like the old Butterfly Resilon!
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

I am considering going back to short pimples.

I used about 10 years ago reissman orthodox pimples which I glued on to 1.0mm sponge.

these were very insensitive to spin and I was able to hit through most stuff off the bounce, shakehand backhand.

I wondered what people might recommend.
I will be putting them on a samsonov force pro blue, but might put them on a slower 5 ply if that is too uncontrollable

I want control and insensitivity to spin. I don't want spinny pimples, whats the point, I don't want long pimple devious effect.

I think I want fairly large pimples that I can basically hit off the bounce with. I have a pretty strong bh in general.

im thinking friendship 802 original as a good starting point in 1.5mm or possibly something with a 1.0mm sponge fitted?

any opinions would be warmly welcomed, I will probably twiddle

does more sponge make them too bouncy and give opponent easy balls to counter?
If you liked Reisman short pimples with sponge you will love Valor Premier with sponge. 
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 1:56am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

but surely more control against spin which is what I want otherwise I may as well stay inverted??

you need a spinny pips like waran or 889-2
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 6:39am
I've ordered some 802-40 in 1.5mm. I think that should be a good place to start, I can always adjust rubber thickness try something else at some point.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 7:42am
It's a great rubber. Have fun
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 9:05am
I retested 802-40 recently and found it to be disappointing. Better options are Legend 105 (good), TSP Super Spinpips (better), Nittaku Beautry (best). As with inverted rubber, you get what you pay for, and newer products that were designed for the 40+ polyball work better with the 40+ polyball.
BBC, SP, LP
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 9:49am
maybe but got to start somewhere
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I retested 802-40 recently and found it to be disappointing. Better options are Legend 105 (good), TSP Super Spinpips (better), Nittaku Beautry (best). As with inverted rubber, you get what you pay for, and newer products that were designed for the 40+ polyball work better with the 40+ polyball.

actually moristo and waran are better than beautry being cheaper
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

That's not true.  

It sounds like you're going hardbat. Try Dr Evil.

I Have played with thinner 802 and the control was lower than 2.0mm but more sink
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 11:02am
that will probably suit me, but I just wanted something to try initially, in the past I have preferred sp with less sponge but not used them for a long time
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Soft sponge short pips from 40mm era don't do well with 40+ balls. The mystery iii sponge that I've used with 802-40 with performs pretty good with the poly ball. Which sponge did you use? If its the cream coloured super soft sponge then I agree with what you're saying, that it's not good for 40+.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 1:52pm

Soft sponge short pips from 40mm era don't do well with 40+ balls. The mystery iii sponge that I've used with 802-40 with performs pretty good with the poly ball. Which sponge did you use? If its the cream coloured super soft sponge then I agree with what you're saying, that it's not good for 40+.

I got it from Zeropong.com who describes the 802-40 sponge as follows: " Zeropong has arranged for a special production of 35 degree soft sponge, (note that this is NOT the poor playing German version)." The sponge is white/off-white, iirc.
BBC, SP, LP
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 1:59pm
the ones I have apparently have the improves 35 degree sponge
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 2:11pm
Mystery iii sponge is lettuce colored, 40 degrees. The packaging says that it's tensioned sponge. I don't know about "tensioned" part, it didn't feel that way but, it sure was quite fast and elastic, about as fast as hexer pips if not faster, and much harder.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2017 at 7:17pm
LOL

well I really did not like 802-40 in the very brief knock I had.
I think I am going top persevere with H3N or try Evolution EL-S for a while longer.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2017 at 11:26pm
If you don't like skinny short pips then you DEFINITELY do not want to get anywhere near Waran, Xiom Zava, or any of the tensioned pips. Spinlord Degu is a pretty good choice and you can get it with pretty thin sponge.
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

If you don't like skinny short pips then you DEFINITELY do not want to get anywhere near Waran, Xiom Zava, or any of the tensioned pips. Spinlord Degu is a pretty good choice and you can get it with pretty thin sponge.

waran and zava are very diffrent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic