Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Serve with non playing hand then switch...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serve with non playing hand then switch...?
    Posted: 02/07/2017 at 1:38pm
I'm a righty but when I play with beginners I play lefty.  I'm improving with my left hand and have one pretty decent serve. 

I'm tempted to pull out this serve in a real match when I'm playing righty.  Serve lefty then transfer the paddle over to my right hand.  I'm thinking if I did it once in a close match it might really throw the other player off.

Anyone ever seen this or try this?  Should be legal.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 2:37pm
Knew a guy years ago that was about 1900-2000 level player that played right-handed.  Well, he said that he thought he was actually naturally left-handed, and that he was raised as a child to do things right-handed.  So, he decided to start playing left-handed, and within 6 months he could play at nearly the same level left-handed as he could right-handed.  Also, he would employ a strategy where he would start serving right-handed towards the end of the match to throw off his opponent and seal the win.  It worked pretty well.

Oh, and it's completely legal to switch whenever you want as far as I know.

Edited by geardaddy - 02/07/2017 at 2:37pm
big d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 2:58pm
look up tahl Leibovitz he does stuff like that a lot
petr korbel
fh t05
bh nexy karis m
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 3:20pm
Are you Ronnie O´Sullivan?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Are you Ronnie O´Sullivan?

no.  Had to google who that was.

Edited by WeebleWobble - 02/07/2017 at 3:25pm
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 4:01pm
I've seen someone do this. He is about 1800. I have played against him many times, and it doesn't throw me off much at all. However, I have heard some people complain about him, so it must be effective against certain players.
(Blade-FH-BH)
-BBC 1 ply Cypress 10mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.15mm 39 deg
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2017 at 5:55pm
I had one player play at my club, his level is alright around 1700 maybe. He serve left hand and transfer paddle to right hand for attack...lol...Most of people think he is little crazy but didn't say anything. Sometimes, he asking me playing and he do that....lol....I loop right away right he serve and he always drop the paddle when he transfer or the ball will out of the table if he touch it.....lol...then he is stop doing that with me.
With low level, you can do that for fun and do it once awhile but with high level that is not respect, i guess. That is my opinion. 
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 1:30am
It is hard to play consistently with both hands ( with MAYBE the exception is true ambidextrous individuals). I'm a natural lefty but was raised to learn right hand skills like writing, eating, etc. But I play TT with my left hand coz it's something that I self taught, not taught by others. Anyway, there have been times when I've played with right hand against people with low skill, purely for the purpose of showing off (which is not a very nice thing to do BTW). Everytime I do that, switching back to my left hand makes me somewhat disoriented. Now I'm no neurologist ( still a doctor though ), but I think that the reason for this could be the conflict between the muscle memory (reflexes and stuff) and the conscious effort to play with the non dominant side which, in a way, interferes with the already established neural networks in the cerebellum and spinal chord that are responsible for muscle memory. This is similar to the situation when you're too nervous and you lose a match, your nervousness (overactive conscious mind) interferes with muscle memory.

Now I'm not saying that you can't play with both your hands if you practice enough, sure you can. But, can you reach a level where you can throw off a high level player doing this? I don't think so. So, learning to serve better rather than serving with your non dominant hand is a more effective way of throwing off your opponents. No high level player use their non dominant hand for serving and then switch back, but they do serve from their forehand side sometimes (wang hao for example) as a strategy to throw off the opponent.

Edited by ronakvyas86 - 02/08/2017 at 10:54am
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

It is hard to play consistently with both hands ( with MAYBE the exception is true ambidextrous individuals). I'm a natural lefty but was raised to learn right hand skills like writing, eating, etc. But I play TT with my left hand coz it's something that I self taught, not taught by others. Anyway, there have been times when I've played with right hand against people with low skill, purely for the purpose of showing off (which is not a very nice thing to do BTW). Everytime I do that, switching back to my left hand makes me somewhat disoriented. Now I'm no neurologist ( still a doctor though ), but I think that the reason for this could be the conflict between the muscle memory (reflexes and stuff) and the conscious effort to play with the non dominant side which, in a way, interferes with the already established neural networks in the cerebellum and spinal chord that are responsible for muscle memory. This is similar to the situation when you're too nervous and you lose a match, your nervousness (overactive conscious mind) interferes with muscle memory.

Now I'm not saying that you can't play with both your hands if you practice enough, sure you can. But, can you reach a level where you can throw off a high level player doing this? I don't think so. So, learning to serve better rather and serving with your non dominant hand is a more effective way of throwing off your opponents. No high level player use their non dominant hand for serving and then switch back, but they do serve from their forehand side sometimes (wang hao for example) as a strategy to throw off the opponent.
good stuff doctor ronakvyas86! thank you for the nice reading.
rl gear ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

Now I'm not saying that you can't play with both your hands if you practice enough, sure you can. But, can you reach a level where you can throw off a high level player doing this? I don't think so. So, learning to serve better rather than serving with your non dominant hand is a more effective way of throwing off your opponents. No high level player use their non dominant hand for serving and then switch back, but they do serve from their forehand side sometimes (wang hao for example) as a strategy to throw off the opponent.

I do mostly spin shots with my left hand (side spin both ways, along with some slow loops and chops) so it really throws off even most advanced beginners.  But it makes it fun and I can have close matches with them.  I find it interesting in that I don't have years and years or bad muscle memory like I do with the right hand so in some ways I'm almost better with my left hand (but I'm still way better overall with my right.) 
I'm never going to reach really high levels with my right hand so maybe I could pull out a lefty serve once a match and see what happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic