Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gewo Hype XT Pro 50.0 & 40.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gewo Hype XT Pro 50.0 & 40.0
    Posted: 02/09/2017 at 10:58am

Gewo Hype XT Pro 50.0

Gewo Hype XT Pro 40.0

Rocket Table Tennis Review For Gewo Hype XT Pro 50
Reviewed Exclusively For: Rocket Table Tennis @ rocket-tt.com & Aiyara Table Tennis Gym (Thailand) 

Date: 2-10-17

Reviewer: yogi_bear (I.T.T.F. Approved Coach, ITTF Course Conductor)
Reviewer Style Of Play: Shakehand Offensive Player

In This Review
- Attached using VOC-free water-based glue (Stiga WBG)
- Tested with 40+mm Plastic Balls
- Rubbers are stock with no boosting
- Blade used is Adidas Strikewood 7

Product Specifications
Product: Gewo Hype XT Pro 50 
Colour: red
Thickness: 2.1mm
Country Of Origin: Germany
Product Made In Year: 2016
Advertised Hardness: 50 degrees
Weight (g) (Uncut): 71 grams
Weight (g) (Cut to blade): 50 grams
Feel Of Topsheet Hardness During Play (Soft, Medium, Hard): Medium
Feel Of Sponge Hardness During Play (Soft, Medium, Hard): Hard
Throw Angle Of Rubber (Low, Medium, High): High
Ball Grip Strength Of Rubber ( Low, Normal, High ) : High
Ball Slippage During Play (Sometimes/None) : None

Speed& Power Ratings
Catapult Power (Low, Normal, High) : High
Power From Far-Table Play (Low, Normal, High) : Normal
Speed On Flat Hitting (1-5) : 4
Looping (1-5) : 5
Overall Speed Rating During Play (1-5) : 4

Spin Ratings
Spin Sensitivity (Low, Normal, High) : Normal
Spin Generation On Serves (Low, Normal, High) : High
Overall Spin Rating During Play (1-5) :5

Control Ratings
Blocking (1-5): 4
Chopping(1-5) : 4
Serve Returns (1-5) : 5
Consistency (1-5) : 5
Overall Control Rating During Play (1-5) : 4

Reviewer Comments:

The Hype XT Pro 50 is a hard ESN rubber. The sponge feels hard like the Joola Maxxx 500. The topsheet feltm medium hardness but the sponge itself is really hard and felt harder than the MX-P or Joola Rhyzm 48 degree version. The sponge is an orange porous sponge that is reactive when you press against it. The characteristic of the Pro 50 is that it feels like a Chinese rubber at times due to it being hard and there is a specific way for it to yield its speed. It is a fast rubber but it is not initially fast wherein compared to softer rubbers that are bouncier at first hit. The Pro 50 shines if you compress the ball against it with a bit of effort. It is a hard sponged rubber so it was designed for hard hitters wherein you would need to hit through more in the sponge whether you are loop driving or smashing.

I appreciate the Pro 50’s spin, one, because it is very spinny and two, it is very easy to spin with. The hard surface makes it ideal to brush the ball producing a medium to high arc with a very spinny topspin. I use hurricane 3 a lot and I appreciate the Pro 50’s spin because it is like a non tacky H3 but faster by a big margin. The Pro 50’s spin when doing spinny pushes also is amazing. It can be as spinny as the MX-P or the EL-S when doing pushes. The control is good especially when doing flicks or drop shots.

Overall, this rubber is much better than an Acuda S1. It is not as fast but it has plenty of speed already plus it has better spin and durability. It feels almost like a Victas Limber or Joola Maxx 500 but only with the feel. The rest are better qualities of an attacking rubber.

Hype Pro 40

Product Specifications
Product: Gewo Hype XT Pro 40
Colour: black
Thickness: 2.1mm
Country Of Origin: Germany
Product Made In Year: 2016
Advertised Hardness: 40 degrees
Weight (g) (Uncut): 67 grams
Weight (g) (Cut to blade): 43 grams
Feel Of Topsheet Hardness During Play (Soft, Medium, Hard): Medium
Feel Of Sponge Hardness During Play (Soft, Medium, Hard): Soft
Throw Angle Of Rubber (Low, Medium, High): Medium
Ball Grip Strength Of Rubber ( Low, Normal, High ) : High
Ball Slippage During Play (Sometimes/None) : Seldom

Speed& Power Ratings
Catapult Power (Low, Normal, High) : High
Power From Far-Table Play (Low, Normal, High) : Normal
Speed On Flat Hitting (1-5) : 4
Looping (1-5) : 4
Overall Speed Rating During Play (1-5) : 4

Spin Ratings
Spin Sensitivity (Low, Normal, High) : Low
Spin Generation On Serves (Low, Normal, High) : High
Overall Spin Rating During Play (1-5) :4

Control Ratings
Blocking (1-5): 5
Chopping(1-5) : 3
Serve Returns (1-5) : 5
Consistency (1-5) : 5
Overall Control Rating During Play (1-5) : 4

Reviewer Comments:

The Hype Pro 40 is rubber labeled as soft basing on its sponge hardness of 40 degrees but when you combine it with the topsheet it feels like a medium rubber with an approximate total hardness of 45 degrees instead of being very soft. This is due to the fact that the topsheet makes it a little bit harder.

The Hype 40 is a very bouncy rubber. It requires less effort to make your attacks fast unlike the Pro 50 which required a bit more of sponge compression. I could compare the Pro 40’s speed to like an Acuda P2. Drives, smashes and spin drives are good. The Pro 50 is much better at spinning but the Pro 40 can also spin very well only lesser than the Pro 50 by a few levels. The Pro 40 has a medium arc and safely clears the net when attacking. The stroke requires also compression to get the desired spin which is opposite to the Pro 50 that requires sponge compression to get the desired speed. The topspins are spinny enough and powerful enough to give your opponent the threat to their blocking. Speaking of blocking, the Pro 40 blocks really well because it is not sensitive to incoming spin and the rubber is very easy to control even at max speed. I really like the Pro 40 as a backhand rubber and receiving spinny serves are not hard again due to being non sensitive to incoming spin. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 2:11pm
Iv played with the hype xt 50 quite a bit, and I must say the 1.9 feels a lot better than the max in almost everything by a good margin except for looping from far off the table (around 10"+). And it plays really well on relatively stiff blades which are 6mm+ or around that in thickness like the amultart, mj, h5Long etc. Feels a bit lacking in power in plies like tbalc viscera, mmaze, xiom vega pro etc. Very good for drives as opposed to pure loops.

Used the xt 40 only for a few days, but I must say it feels a lot more lively compared to the xt50 and is a pretty good rubber for near the table bh play, and also good for ppl who hit a lot on their FH, the sponge has a nice fleshy feel for a soft rubber.

Edited by nv42 - 02/10/2017 at 5:06am
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 11:14pm
All I say is XT 40 is super duper on BH.
Both reminds me of cornilleau target series.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2017 at 11:38am
updated with reviews
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2017 at 3:06pm
Loving the extra tid - bits of detail you added in that review yogi! Been playing with and against the xt 50 quite often recently and to me it definitely doesn't spin as much as t05, mx-p in the higher gears , maybe as much as t64. I agree with everything else you'v mentioned.

Also, in terms of durability, pretty tough to chip topsheet, but it does lose grip a bit after a month of use (considering you loop pretty intense Atleast 5 days a week), but not too bothersome. Also, a few t64 users readily changed to it after a few test runs, though they all preferred the 1.9 over the max. The max sponge really needs some good arm speed to bring the best out of it, even for me, first rubber that I actually preferred in 1.9 over max. My fav 'made for p-ball rubber' till date.

+1 for the xt 40 review too.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2017 at 7:03pm
Thanks. I do wish the pro 50 is daster though

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Thanks. I do wish the pro 50 is Faster though

1.9mm sponge is what you'r looking for then, it has that extra bit of zip the max sponge lacks. ;)
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic