Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Muscle ache/pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muscle ache/pain
    Posted: 02/12/2017 at 10:45am
Hello,

My back starts to hurt very easily recently, especially on the right side around the waist (I am right-handed). Here is the details.

I play not for long for a session. I feel everything is fine. I even warmed up a bit before play last time. But two to three days later, the muscle starts acting up. Aleve helps.  

What goes wrong? This is a new thing. If my strokes are not correct, I did not have this problem before. Maybe it is because of my age (early 50s).

I do not want to give up table tennis! 

Any thoughts? Have you had similar issue before?

Thanks,

Yasaka Galaxya

Butterfly Amultart SI

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2017 at 11:00am
Most of us probably especially in 50s! Rest until it is better. Did you change your shoes recently? That can sometimes cause it. Tightness in the backs of your legs can make this happen. If you get shooting pains going down your legs go see a doctor. If not, you will get a lot of advice of things to try and something MAY help or may not. Things like massage, yoga, chiropractors, electrical stimulation, herbs, etc. etc. So many thi gs. Very few of those treatments for back pain proved to be better than placebo in clinical trials, unfortunately. Fortunately unless you have really done strucural damage that shows up on an MRI it will most typically go away by itself if you let it. Unti, it does, it truly sucks.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2017 at 11:25am
It's strange that you only start to fell the pain 2-3 days afterwards. If you don't feel it the next day, it may not be TT related.
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2017 at 12:19pm
It is more like inflammation than physical injury because Aleve gets rid of my pain just for 3-4 days, one pill a day.

I have not changed my shoes recently. But shoelaces are loose for sure. I very often have to stop playing to re-tighten them.

The first episode of pain, I had an X-ray taken, nothing serious. Pain did not go down the leg, fortunately. 

Thanks,

Yasaka Galaxya

Butterfly Amultart SI

CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2017 at 12:25pm
Tight hamstrings aggravate the lower back and good Table Tennis posture promotes shortened hamstrings...

Try doing daily hamstring and other lower body stretching excercises and increase magnesium in your diet..

Consult your local experts for advice, if in doubt...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2017 at 7:10pm
sounds more like you're getting into shape and pushing your body harder than it's used to.  It's easy to do in TT because there's so much variation in how hard you can go and how much you're using your feet.  It can be subtle and it feels like you've put in the same amount of time.
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2017 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

It is more like inflammation than physical injury because Aleve gets rid of my pain just for 3-4 days, one pill a day.

I have not changed my shoes recently. But shoelaces are loose for sure. I very often have to stop playing to re-tighten them.

The first episode of pain, I had an X-ray taken, nothing serious. Pain did not go down the leg, fortunately. 

Thanks,

Well you can have lots of repeated little injuries or one big one.  Sound like you have the first one, and you have some inflammation -- somewhere.  X-rays aren't much use for determining the reason for back pain.  They don't show soft tissue where the problem lies about 99% of the time.  To see that you need an MRI, but expensive and nobody would recommend it for the symptoms you report.  (And even MRIs look completely normal for a significant number of people with pretty bad back pain).  Just take it easy for awhile.  Stretch your hamstrings before playing.  Aleve if you need it, just watch your stomach.  It is best to take the form that comes in gel caps.  (You still may have some stomach issues).  This is one of the most common things in older athletes.  Usually goes away by itself in time if you are careful.

By the way, the reason I know these things is because I have had these issues myself and I teach at a medical school.  So not too long ago did a pretty thorough review of the clinical literature on back pain.

Some of the best information on the internet is here:  https://www.painscience.com/
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2017 at 10:47pm
did you're level go up?

rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2017 at 1:35am
Try chinese massage that goes by acupoints and meridians. Not sure where u live, but that helps a lot, and all the CNT players get it a few times a week. 
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2017 at 3:24am
You could also buy a 'Foam Roller' for self massage treatment...

Not expensive and very effective...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2017 at 5:53am
Back pain is not very well understood and can have a myriad of causes. Have you ever taped yourself playing? Check your form. It could be part of the problem. Definitely see a doctor/physical therapist if it persists, but in the meantime, check out the work of Dr. Stuart McGill. He's arguably the world's leading expert on back pain and has a number of exercises he recommends for strengthening the core.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2017 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Joo Se Kev Joo Se Kev wrote:

Back pain is not very well understood and can have a myriad of causes. Have you ever taped yourself playing? Check your form. It could be part of the problem. Definitely see a doctor/physical therapist if it persists, but in the meantime, check out the work of Dr. Stuart McGill. He's arguably the world's leading expert on back pain and has a number of exercises he recommends for strengthening the core.

All true.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2017 at 12:16pm
I take too much ibuprofin so I substitute tumaric sometimes for inflamation.  Tastes like dirt but works well.

The best thing for me has been electric stimulation though, when my back clenches and won't let go.
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2017 at 2:51pm
My first molar (#14, the third one counting from upper left) chipped off a big piece three years ago. My dentist told me that there is infection there even though the tooth is not loose, does not hurt, does not smell. He said that my body is fighting the inflammation. 

I was wondering if my frequent back pain has anything to do with a low-grade inflammation going on from my tooth. My inflammation, if my dentist was right, will cause problem with some trigger like playing table tennis.

Just a wild thought.

Thanks,

Yasaka Galaxya

Butterfly Amultart SI

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2017 at 4:07pm
Possible. Too complex to go into here but possible.
Tt Gold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2017 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

Thanks,

Well you can have lots of repeated little injuries or one big one.  Sound like you have the first one, and you have some inflammation -- somewhere.  X-rays aren't much use for determining the reason for back pain.  They don't show soft tissue where the problem lies about 99% of the time.  To see that you need an MRI, but expensive and nobody would recommend it for the symptoms you report.  (And even MRIs look completely normal for a significant number of people with pretty bad back pain).  Just take it easy for awhile.  Stretch your hamstrings before playing.  Aleve if you need it, just watch your stomach.  It is best to take the form that comes in gel caps.  (You still may have some stomach issues).  This is one of the most common things in older athletes.  Usually goes away by itself in time if you are careful.

By the way, the reason I know these things is because I have had these issues myself and I teach at a medical school.  So not too long ago did a pretty thorough review of the clinical literature on back pain.

Some of the best information on the internet is here:  https://www.painscience.com/
i wouldn't do hamstring stretches, cause they can do more harm than good depending on whether you have anterior pelvic tilt or not.
Fabian1890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fabian1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2017 at 5:36pm

Those tips are from Kristin Silbereisen, german professional TT player :) She's also a physiotherapist.

Edited by Fabian1890 - 02/15/2017 at 5:36pm
Tt Gold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 12:59am
I'd recommend checking out athlean-x on YouTube.He is a one of the only real fitness youtubers and has a video for almost everything.
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 7:33pm
A serious question but not a great one: For people that get hurt easily and difficult to change/correct play of style (without proper coaching), what blade is best to avoid/minimize injury of my type?

I am thinking about two possibilities: A faster blade or a blade that is flexible with lots of catapult effect. I prefer the latter one that would allow you to play lazy. 

Yasaka Galaxya

Butterfly Amultart SI

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 10:00pm
From my experience the blade can't cause me any pain. I am still trying to figure out why some days my lower back is killing me.
Again my own experiences what may cause a pain in my lower back:
1.Gaining weight
2.Playing in draught conditions
3.Not stretching before and after a session
4.Sudden weather changes
5.Uncomfortable bed
6.Kidney problem
To avoid the pain I play with a light and wide neoprene belt around my waist. That usually helps.
Generally speaking, I am convinced that the lower back pain is age related, especially when the pain is not directly on the spine, but few inches around it
4x Hallmark Carbon Extreme
FH: T64 and Similar
BH: Nothing Helps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic