tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Hardbat Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anti_singh View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anti_singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardbat Setup
    Posted: 02/16/2017 at 1:26pm
Can it be possible to win a national level tournament with a hardbat.
Anti Singh
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 2:00pm
Humm... ask Liu Guoliang if he would like to participate in that tournament..
Fly away!
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 2:44pm
Yeah sure, if you are playing for the National championship of Sierra Leone
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
My Feedback
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 3:54pm
My answer, as an experienced hardbat player, would be no, in any country's National Championship with a population larger than that of, say, Sierra Leone. Are there any good hardbat players in Sierra Leone, or is this just another example of fake news?

While Chris Doran, Andrew Rushton, Sharon Alguetti and D.J. Carney are first-rate hardbat players for our era, they'd be outgunned by any competent European or Asian international armed with a semilegal serve, $74.95 spring sponge rubber both sides boosted to the topsail yardarm, plus a Lamborghini or two. 

OTOH, it would be interesting to see how Ma Long and the new young guns of the CNT or any European or Asian country would fare against the likes of the above mentioned hardbatters themselves using a hardbat.   These guys aren't bad, and they aren't slow and unathletic. 

Edited by berndt_mann - 02/16/2017 at 3:58pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
IanMcg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 6:23pm
To win at that high of a level, you absolutely need spin to compete, which hardbat cannot just provide when compared to modern rubber.
Alis volat propriis

Gergely
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anti_singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 9:11pm
Can we not hit topspins using hardbat
Anti Singh
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anti_singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 9:18pm
I will Participate in the open tournament with a hardbat this year, and lets see what happens.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anti_singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2017 at 9:21pm
For the past 3 months i have changed my racket,

Stiga Allround Classic ( Wide FL ) Legend with
Andro Classic OX both Side
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2017 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by anti_singh anti_singh wrote:

Yes you can, and depending on your skill level and ability to countertopspin loop drives from 5 to 8 feet from the table, this can be effective, as a well-hit countertopspin with a hard rubber racket will have a lower trajectory and lower bounce off the table, but you have to have a good forward then upward stroke and take a chance on either hitting the ball past or forcing an error from your opponent. 

It's not advisable to get into a countertopspinning duel with a good looper, as he/she will have an easier time imparting a lot of topspin than you will.  Against another hard rubber player, it is, if you are skillful enough, both possible to continue the spin against your opponent (that is, topspin his/her underspins) and reverse it (topspin to topspin).

If you intend to play with a hardbat against sponge players, I would suggest using the fastest blade you can find, stroke hard with enough topspin to keep the ball on the table, and employ the chop (underspin) stroke against weaker loops.  Develop, if you do not already have, a dependable return of serve, well placed services that cannot be easily flipped or looped, and try, though this is a high risk tactic, particularly in an 11 point game, to hit hard flat forehands that cannot easily be looped.  In the year 2000, John Tannehill won the Open Championship of the state of Ohio by doing precisely that.  At that time Mr. Tannehill was 48 years old.

Good luck to you and keep on hardbatting!
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:48am
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Yeah sure, if you are playing for the National championship of Sierra Leone

Or perhaps, Isle of Man.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:54am

Sure.  But it is a matter of degree. 

As for the original question, the higher up you go on the skill level ladder, the more small things begin to matter a lot.  So while there have been a few players who managed to be competitive with hardbat up to around the 2300 level, they are fairly rare.  There are probably a few dozen people in the U.S. who could play hardbat at 2400 or beyond - if they really put in the effort.  But what would motivate them to do so?  

I think it is well within the capabilities of a a lot of very good club player to play up to nearly 2200 with hardbat if they really wanted to and were willing to put in the work training.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anti_singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:35am
I have realized, it doesnt matter what ur equipment is, its the skill that matters
Anti Singh
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anti_singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:45am
Honestly, there have been times when got so much involved in the game during practice, i feel, i can see the ball spinning by that i mean every rotation, i could place the ball anywhere on the table, even if anyone places a peanut on the table i can hit it. But there is nobody to tell because nobody will understand it. But after reading the serious comments above i feel more confident now.

Thanks everyone
Anti Singh
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:54pm

I have realized, it doesnt matter what ur equipment is, its the skill that matters

Both things matter.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 59 minutes ago at 9:01am
well said wturber
BBC NINE
Joola Rhyzm Tech Max
Victas 102 1.8 mm
~2200
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic