Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dr. Neubauer Jackpot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dr. Neubauer Jackpot
    Posted: 02/16/2017 at 4:20pm
Dr. Neubauer released a new blade recently called Jackpot. You can find the manufacturer's information on the blade here:
Dr. Neubauer Jackpot

I finally had a chance to play the new Dr. Neubauer Jackpot blade (ST, 82g) in one practice session last week and wanted to share my initial impressions. It was tested with Nittaku H3N and Bison 1.8mm, though that Bison was already a little worn; we did drills and played a few games. Comparison is with Dr. Neubauer Matador with the same rubber combo, though an almost new Bison. Here we go:
- the Jackpot is a 5-ply all wood with 7mm thickness; the 2 outer plies are quite thin and the core relatively thick like 5mm; the core is not balsa (can't easily indent it with the finger nail) but must be quite a light wood since the total weight is only 82g
- the hardness is medium, Matador has a harder touch; the Jackpot is stiffer than Matador; the outer plies seem to be koto and the 2nd ply spruce (that's a guess though!)
- I would call it All+; it plays like All in short game and on serve but more like Off- when you really go for it
- low bounce on blocking with anti and control in general on block was superb!
- it's difficult to judge the reversal with anti since my Bison was a little bit worn but I would say a little less than Matador but still very good
- loop with H3N had more topspin and kick according to my practice partner but was a little slower than with Matador; the control and consistency on looping was great!
- a lot of spin in short game and on serves; better than Matador
- slower in top speed than Matador; so if you rely on a very fast blade, Jackpot is not yours
- craftsmanship is very good with very smooth surfaces; the design is simple like on other Dr. N blades but I like it that way
- the blade seems to have a very mild balsa (non-linear) effect though I am not really a balsa expert as I only ever played with one balsa blade, the Dr. N Bulldog; the "balsa effect" was less than on Bulldog; it would be interesting to hear the opinion of somebody who is more familiar with balsa blades
- it was a lot of fun to play with the Jackpot and I will definitely test it more after my upcoming tournament; I will update after more testing
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Sponsored Links

kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2017 at 12:30pm
Sounds like another great blade from the Doc, Matt.  Stop tempting me!  Actually, it sounds a bit too slow compared to the Matador, which is very good for long pimple blocking and brilliant for looping and hitting. Perhaps Jackpot is designed with the frictionless antis more specifically in mind?  
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by kevo kevo wrote:

Perhaps Jackpot is designed with the frictionless antis more specifically in mind?  

Hey kevo, I am not sure but somebody on the German Noppentest.de forum tested it with D.Tecs ox and liked it a lot. He said that when he blocked off the bounce, balls came back quick with a lot of deception like wobble and unstable flight curves. He said that it did not work well for chopping away from the table though.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2017 at 7:45pm
Update: I received the "new" version of the updated Jackpot with the re-worked sealing which looks somewhat similar to the Stiga NCT coating though it is thinner and you can actually still feel the wood grain when you move your finger over the surface. I finally got around to test the updated version of the Jackpot last night with the same rubbers I use on the Matador: Nittaku H3N and Bison 1.8mm. The new version plays a little crisper and more direct without losing much if any control; it might be a tad faster as well. My loops had a little lower arc but still very consistent and spinney. I actually played with it a little longer than last time because I liked it so much that I stuck with it for most of the session after initially switching back and forth with my Matador setup. The Jackpot is definitely stiff than Matador and has less flex on strong loops but its best feature is blocking on both wings, fh with inverted and bh with anti. I had a fairly new Bison on my bh this time and the reversal was almost as high or the same as Matador (if there were differences, they were minor) with a lower bounce. I had great control blocking the ball very short behind the net or blocking close to the baseline by pressing forward a little bit on ball contact; however this works quite well on Matador as well. The best feature really is blocking which is so stable and effortless on both wings. I also liked loop-drives with it a lot yesterday.
I really enjoyed playing with the Jackpot setup last night and I am planning to continue to test it in parallel with my Matador setup.

My Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic