Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Korbel vs YEO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Poseidon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poseidon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korbel vs YEO
    Posted: 02/18/2017 at 1:42am
Can you guys comment on how Korbel compared to YEO in terms of speed, easiness to play, close-mid-far from table performance and general feel? Any comments on other characteristics of the two blades are also welcome.

Context: I just bought a Korbel on this forum, it plays good in general although I'm still getting used to the vibration since I came from a Viscaria. Today I played against a YEO. Short games look nothing special, but once he swings forehand hard the ball goes low and short (really short, like lands in the middle of the table) and very spinny. I can't seem to produce the same effect with either the Korbel or my Viscaria. He's at the same level as me, we both controlled loop attacking type. Or maybe I have produced it but just can't notice from my point of view? Hope people who played both blades can comment on this, as well as any other differences. Thanks Smile
Sponsored Links

ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2017 at 3:57am
Don't know about korbel since I never used one but I've used YEO for about 6 months. It has enormous gears. If you swing fast, the top gear can be unbelievably fast. The blade has a lot of flex, plus it's plenty elastic and snaps back quickly when bent, that's why the explosive top gear. Short game can be difficult if you use very grippy rubbers because then the setup will react to incoming spin like crazy. From what my experiance is with YEO, it's great for the close and mid distance loopers who swing really hard and has good footwork + stamina. Blockers don't do well with YEO, IMO. Also, it vibrates like hell.

Edited by ronakvyas86 - 02/18/2017 at 3:59am
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Poseidon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poseidon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2017 at 4:12am
Thanks ronakvyas86 for the analysis. The fast snapping-back in big swings sounds exactly like what was happening there! Given YEO's harder outer ply that's understandable. My opponent does have a style of moving a lot and using a lot of strength, and gets tired easily. That's so like a YEO player!
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2017 at 12:59pm
that's technique. i played a 2200 provincial player who created huge arcs using YEO and hurricane. i can create any arc as long as it's w/ inverted. it's a matter of spin and drive control, the two components to any shot

Edited by kurokami - 02/18/2017 at 12:59pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2017 at 1:53pm
I think its the technique as well.

Ive owned both and korbel had less vibrations compared to YEO which i preferred. In terms of speed, YEO was indeed a bit faster but not by much. YEO felt like an over-vibrating instrument, too much sensory information for me.

Korbel was more forgiving and easier to play with. I've played a 2300-2350 player not long ago and he was using a korbel (with tenergy) and his game did not lack spin nor speed. Its all about the technique.
There are pros that are still using the korbel so i wouldnt worry about lacking speed, unless you physically can't generate power and need something faster i would look at ALC blades over the YEO.

Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Rainer87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2017 at 1:54pm
I have been playing with YEO for at least 5 years, on FH I use Baracuda and on BH Diamant pips. 
I always wanted to try Korbel, so few months ago I finally bought one from TT1.
When compering stats then I concluded that Korbel was with the same speed but could offer better control than YEO.
In real life I felt that it was faster than YEO, but with better control. I felt that sweetspot was bigger than on YEO. It was really easy to loop and also to block. On backhand I could not adopt with extra speed what Korbel offered, so I sticked with YEO and sold Korbel.
So if you want to upgrade from YEO to something faster, what is very similar in play, than Korbel it the way to go.

Edited by Rainer87 - 02/18/2017 at 1:58pm
Blade: YEO
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Neubauer Diamant
http://www.youtube.com/koletis20
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2017 at 3:16pm
Hello Poseidon. I play RPB, and have used the YEO.
Usually I play with ESN rubbers that are 47.5 degrees or more(FH), 40 to 45 degrees on BH.

My YEO blade is about 85g.
It feels more like an Allround/ OFF- blade to me. Although I've never tried a Korbel.
You need to be able to generate your own power for far table play.
For close to middle distances, the blade has good control; Excellent Blade

As a Penholder what I really like about the YEO is the ability/gear to make a dead ball into an attacking shot.
Really helps in your third ball attacks. With the Walnut layer it has the extra kick and bouciness.
I prefer it to the DHS Hurricane Hao, as the HH 1&2 always felt slower for me.

It does get tiring though, If you have a far-table mad looper as your opponent.

Cheers!
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2017 at 1:03am
I use Korbel recently (after a long hiatus).  Since my old Korbel (black butterfly tag) is an antique now, I bought a new Korbel.  To my surprise, the weights are around 95 - 99 grams.   I chose the "light" 95 grams Korbel, and put my H3 Neo / Mark V on it.  In the past, I can get 90 - 93 grams Korbel easily.  My old FL blade is 89 grams.  My old Conic Korbel (sold) was around 87 grams.   All are made in Japan.

I own YEO also.   However, I prefer the good old trusty Korbel.  I think it is a more "allround" offensive blade.  Somehow I like Limba better than Walnut.   I don't say that Korbel is better than YEO, it is just my preference.  My friend and I like Korbel why my other friend can't let go of his YEO.
Both are excellent blades.

Answering your questions:
Korbel is the "medium of medium" blade (in term of characteristics).   It is not too hard, not too soft (medium).  It is not stiff yet not too flexy either.  Speed is medium fast (OFF- if you use standard rubbers and OFF if you use latest generation tensors).  It goes well with classic rubbers (Sriver and Mark V), Chinese rubbers and ESN rubbers (tensors).  It can be played offensively (as it is intended to be) as shown by Korbel, Oh Sang Eun, etc., and yet it can be used defensively (world class chopper actually uses it).

For us, mortal players, a Korbel can be used a life time.  Just change your rubbers as you progress.

Weakness:
1.  There are two types of Korbel:  European made (Hungary) and Japanese made.  Choose Japanese made Korbel as it is better.

2.  Japanese Korbel is only offered in FL.  You can get ST and AN, but it is very hard to get those.  Hungarian Korbel is offered in FL, ST and AN.   But quality wise, I stick to the Japanese one.

3.  FL handle is thin so if you have big hand, you will hate it.  AN and ST are much better (if you can get one).

4.  I assume it is hard to get Japanese Korbel if you live in Europe because BTY only lets you buy from local authorized dealers.  If you live in the USA, it is easy to get Japanese one.

Best regards....

Edited by doraemon - 02/20/2017 at 1:15am
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic