tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

I found my new style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I found my new style
    Posted: 02/23/2017 at 9:53pm
So after reviewing the comments to my post about the limits of the countering style I decided to focus on my countering game for a while.  So at the club I brought out my countering game against a 1300 level player.  Basically I was trying to get into Bh to Bh topspin exchanges and then attack strongly with a Fh drive/hit when there was an opportunity.  Net result was that he destroyed me.  My counters were so weak that he just hit angled winners to the Bh that I could just barely touch or hit fast down the line winners to my Fh.  I was also working on using more topspin serves to get into topspin rallies without having to loop.  When I served short he just flip killed past me.  When I served long he attacked so strongly that I was reduced to blocking.  Hard to imagine how bad it would have been against an 1800 level player.  So much for the countering style.

So the next thing I tried was looping against an 1870 player.  We were drilling Fh loop to Fh block.  I looped and he blocked the ball past me before I could get ready for the next loop.  Sometimes I got off 2 loops in a row but those were few and far between.  We then tried a 5th ball drill we he pushed a serve return to my middle or Fh, I did spinny loop to his Bh, he blocked, and then I tried to hit a flat kill 5th ball.  At the beginning his blocks just kept going past me.  So much for my looping game.

He finally slowed down his blocks enough that I could hit some 5th ball kills.  He did to my flat kills basically the same thing he did to my loops earlier.  Balls just kept going past me.  Instead of firing 357 magnums I was shooting nerf bullets.  Looks like the hitting game is not working for me either.

So countering, looping, and hitting all seem to be the wrong style to use as my path to improvement.  I know how bad my blocking is so that does not seem to be the way to go either.  My pushing and chopping is even worse than my blocking. 

So realistically I only have one style to pursue, cheating.  I am off to bake my LP's and epoxy the tips, speed glue my inverted, practice my hidden serves, work on the world's most annoying "cho", and take those acting classes so I can convincingly call lets when I can not read the service spin, call edges when I just miss the table, and argue that the score is 6-6 when I am down 4-8.

Mark - Who has finally found his path to breaking 2000

PS -  Stellan is really going to have his hands full with me at the Salem camp.
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 10:01pm
Stellan played before the two color rule, where people hid the rackets under the table, twiddled, then stomped their feet to disguise the sound of impact. So you won't be much of a surprise.

jfolsen
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 10:10pm
I never meant that anything I do would trouble Stellan while playing against me.

The challenge I present for him is trying to figure out anything to help my game that I am capable of executing.

Mark

PS - If I certify that I am red-black color blind would they let me get away with the same color rubber on each side.
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 10:10pm
Let me know what techniques in particular you find effective. I'm in the same boat. If I was sane I would probably just give up due to lack of any natural talent but I'm just not smart enough.  
Thanks!
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 10:14pm
[QUOTE=dmoney]Let me know what techniques in particular you find effective. I'm in the same boat. If I was sane I would probably just give up due to lack of any natural talent but I'm just not smart enough.  [/QUOTE

I know how you feel.  Table tennis is probably the most difficult sport I've ever tried.  I'm not designed for the sport.  Sometimes I think that the only reason I keep playing is my refusal to let the sport beat me.
obesechopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 11:26pm
Well, part of how you advance... is sticking with a certain style! You must learn to adapt it to each opponent. If you can only play X game well against Y players, and can't handle anyone else, then you've got a pretty weak setup! 

You won't be joining the olympics any time soon (maybe after a few months, you spring chicken, you!). So I suggest picking a style you enjoy playing and learning the ins and outs of it. Unless you want the style you're most likely to advance with -- and assuming they're not the same -- but what if you hate playing that way? 
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 4:07pm
You can't improve by just hoping to find a style that you magically play at a high level.  Pretty much any playing style can be played at a high level with a two winged looping game being the standard.  So either focus your efforts on improving all aspects of a standard game or pick a style you like and work to improve.  If you are at a below 1300 level no style will magically make you a higher level.  You must put in the work to improve your technique, possibly get coaching, and expect improvement to come gradually through hard work not overnight through discovering a superior playing style.
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 6:15pm
Hungry cow

I really think that going to an all out "cheating" game will get me some quick improvement.  Of course it may also get me cursed at, beat up, and left without any people to play against.

Mark - I love the smell of speed glue in the morning.
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 6:25pm
No, it may give you an advantage against a specific style or individual player while hurting you against others,  but will not get you any type of quick overall improvement.  The only way to do that is improve the old fashioned way!  To get more than a fluke win against significantly better players you have to actually improve the overall level of your game through hard work.

Also no magic equipment combo will give you any sort of significant sudden boost!  The wrong type of setup can hold you back but as long as your using the right general type of setup no equipment change will make any real significance in wins and losses.
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 6:40pm
Are you sure he's 1300? Normally players of that level can't pull off stuff like what you're describing with ease, especially against quality balls (low to the net, deep). 

Why don't you post a video of a match for analysis? That would be a lot more instructive and many of us would be able to see all the low hanging fruits that you could do to improve. 

I'm betting it's a lot to do with serve and receive patterns than anything else. 

-------

DHS PG7

FH: H3 Neo
BH: TG3 Neo
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 7:38pm
I am kind of interested in his proposed technique of baking his long pips and epoxy application on the tips. That is an acquired skill and artistry that will take time and practice also. I wish you luck in your new endeavor.  
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Hungry cow

I really think that going to an all out "cheating" game will get me some quick improvement.  Of course it may also get me cursed at, beat up, and left without any people to play against.

Mark - I love the smell of speed glue in the morning.

What with the Everest of equipment today available to players of all levels, the numerosity of styles you might choose to adopt and might have to face, the all out cheating game may be the only yellow brick road left to quick improvement.

Don't worry overmuch about those players who may curse you, assault you, or desert you entirely.  Think about it.  If nobody in Texas wants to play you thanks to your all out cheating game, you can then claim illegitimately to be the No. 1 ponger in Texas.

Yeah, I definitely miss the smell of speed glue in the morning.  In those halcyon days of speed gluing, mom and dad, brother and sis, and even Fido in the canine event were merrily marinating their rubbers and blades in stuff that would poleaxe a mastodon.  Those were the days, my friend.

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Are you sure he's 1300? Normally players of that level can't pull off stuff like what you're describing with ease, especially against quality balls (low to the net, deep). 

Why don't you post a video of a match for analysis? That would be a lot more instructive and many of us would be able to see all the low hanging fruits that you could do to improve. 

I'm betting it's a lot to do with serve and receive patterns than anything else. 

He has only played one tournament some time ago.  However, he plays pretty even with 2 other players in our club who are rated mid 1300.

Low and deep does not describe any of my shots during a match.  That probably accounts for his ability to hit such good shots.

Mark -  Whose opponents  suddenly have no weaknesses when they play him
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 10:43pm
I've been playing for just over a year. I have a table at my house and a Newgy 2050 robot. I play with my robot about 3 times a week but I only get to play with humans 1-2 times a week. Local club is just too far away to make it more. 

But I find myself comparing my abilities to guys who have been playing for decades, which is a mistake, but hard to avoid. I'm hoping to get to 1200 by the end of the year. Might be a bit of a stretch based upon my progress so far. I know I should just focus on the joy of the game, but for me winning and improving is a large part of the fun. If someone told me that I would not improve much from here on out I don't think I would keep playing. But I'll just keep at it and see how it goes. 
Thanks!
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 11:02pm
Mark, you need to frequently update us on your ongoing successes with the new style... 
That notwithstanding, it seems to me that as long as we do not mind losing a match to a better player, some kind of progress will happen, and that may eventually evolve into a specific style that will lead you beyond 2000. I'd say being an obnoxious allrounder is okay for now, at least you are not alone.
(1) Stiga Cipper Wood (ST, 92 g) with Focus 3 Snipe (red, 2.1 mm, 42 deg) on FH and 0.6mm Dr N. Desperado on BH (2) Juic SBA (Fl, 94 g) with Nimbus Soft (red max) on FH and 0.5mm Curl P1R on BH
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 7:13am

He has only played one tournament some time ago.  However, he plays pretty even with 2 other players in our club who are rated mid 1300.

Low and deep does not describe any of my shots during a match.  That probably accounts for his ability to hit such good shots.

I have seen old players simply push, block, do light loops and smash loose balls up to an extremely high level without much heavy duty looping, even with inverted. Table tennis is a lot more about serve, receive, consistency, control and placement over pure power. Otherwise how would old players like Jan Ove Waldner and Samsonov maintain such a high level to such an old age? I always feel that my serves, pushes, variations and strategy win and lose me a lot more points than plain old powerful loops. 

From watching your older videos, I would suspect that you would be well suited to convert to short pips on both ends since you seem to have a "hitting" mentality as opposed to "spin". If you love flat hitting you would love short pips. 

But in case you want to stick with inverted, I think the lowest hanging fruit would be simply to develop a nasty serve. You could watch many of Brett Clarke's videos on serving, which are incredibly good. Pick a choice of serve, then focus first on the mechanics of generating lots of spin on your serve, then figure out how to disguise the motion (there's plenty of ways to disguise motions without being illegal!), and then practising them to hone the control of the serve placement. My favourite serves are unorthodox serves and combinations which take people by surprise. Fast, deep heavy underspin serves to the BH, and mix it up with fast flat serves. Fast, deep heavy reverse side-under to the elbow. Fast serves down the line (for those who love to step around). Short hook/reverse serve to the short FH for those who have weak FH receives, and short pendulum serves to the short BH corner for those who have weak BH receives. If you don't like looping, serve long 80% of the time and aim to anticipate and block the loop to an uncomfortable position. If your long serves get attacked strongly easily, your serves are simply not spinny/deceptive enough, and/or the placement not good enough. 

For receives, the push is severely underrated. A good push will force a lot of "unforced" errors by simply varying the spin and placement of the push. You should learn the heavy push (with huge amounts of underspin) to wide angles (aim for the corners!) or to the elbow as your bread and butter, then the floaty sidespinny ones, and then to the spinless push (by bumping the ball instead of brushing it) which you throw out sometimes and see as the opponent loop it past your head and then looking at his racket in surprise Tongue. If you have a good enough push you often don't even need to loop to win a game. 

Another very underrated skill is blocking. In case all your moves were anticipated and read correctly by your opponent, he/she will give you a powerful loop. In any case, just block it to their elbow or to the corners. Try to take the block reasonably early and give it some topspin kick (by brushing upwards) to pressure your opponent on time and increase your consistency. You will find many loopers who would love practising against blockers. Once you've blocked enough loops you would start to know how to control them and place them in uncomfortable positions. Combine your blocks with your service strategy. For example serve down the line fast and block it to their deep BH, or jam them with serves to the elbow, then aggressively block it down the line. 

If in any case you're forced to loop, don't go for the youngster heavy powerloops, that's way too overrated and easy to block. Go for the nasty variations like sidespin loops that exit the sides of the table, spinny loops with very low and short trajectories, sudden high arcing loops, and fakespin loops (loops without much spin at all, you can see how Hao Shuai does it, it's kinda like a short pips roll).

Strategise and plan out your game starting from the serve and receive. For example, how do you want to deal with deep pushes to your FH? How do you deal with short side-topspin serves to your BH? 

You can collect statistics about where you lose points and where you win the most points to quantify your advantages. Sometimes the winning strategy may not make sense conventionally. For example if I win more points than I lose by serving long, I will serve long all game long even if the player blasts a few past me. There have been matches where I have won simply by pushing back long pushes to invite the loop, instead of performing a weak loop which gets countered back strongly.

-------

DHS PG7

FH: H3 Neo
BH: TG3 Neo
fortunateluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortunateluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 8:18am
There is no quick fix in table tennis.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 8:58am
I saw some guys jump pretty quick from 1100 to 1400 using long pips, but never 1800 to 2000.
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:11pm

I have seen old players simply push, block, do light loops and smash loose balls up to an extremely high level without much heavy duty looping, even with inverted. Table tennis is a lot more about serve, receive, consistency, control and placement over pure power. Otherwise how would old players like Jan Ove Waldner and Samsonov maintain such a high level to such an old age? I always feel that my serves, pushes, variations and strategy win and lose me a lot more points than plain old powerful loops. 

From watching your older videos, I would suspect that you would be well suited to convert to short pips on both ends since you seem to have a "hitting" mentality as opposed to "spin". If you love flat hitting you would love short pips. 

But in case you want to stick with inverted, I think the lowest hanging fruit would be simply to develop a nasty serve. You could watch many of Brett Clarke's videos on serving, which are incredibly good. Pick a choice of serve, then focus first on the mechanics of generating lots of spin on your serve, then figure out how to disguise the motion (there's plenty of ways to disguise motions without being illegal!), and then practising them to hone the control of the serve placement. My favourite serves are unorthodox serves and combinations which take people by surprise. Fast, deep heavy underspin serves to the BH, and mix it up with fast flat serves. Fast, deep heavy reverse side-under to the elbow. Fast serves down the line (for those who love to step around). Short hook/reverse serve to the short FH for those who have weak FH receives, and short pendulum serves to the short BH corner for those who have weak BH receives. If you don't like looping, serve long 80% of the time and aim to anticipate and block the loop to an uncomfortable position. If your long serves get attacked strongly easily, your serves are simply not spinny/deceptive enough, and/or the placement not good enough. 

For receives, the push is severely underrated. A good push will force a lot of "unforced" errors by simply varying the spin and placement of the push. You should learn the heavy push (with huge amounts of underspin) to wide angles (aim for the corners!) or to the elbow as your bread and butter, then the floaty sidespinny ones, and then to the spinless push (by bumping the ball instead of brushing it) which you throw out sometimes and see as the opponent loop it past your head and then looking at his racket in surprise Tongue. If you have a good enough push you often don't even need to loop to win a game. 

Another very underrated skill is blocking. In case all your moves were anticipated and read correctly by your opponent, he/she will give you a powerful loop. In any case, just block it to their elbow or to the corners. Try to take the block reasonably early and give it some topspin kick (by brushing upwards) to pressure your opponent on time and increase your consistency. You will find many loopers who would love practising against blockers. Once you've blocked enough loops you would start to know how to control them and place them in uncomfortable positions. Combine your blocks with your service strategy. For example serve down the line fast and block it to their deep BH, or jam them with serves to the elbow, then aggressively block it down the line. 

If in any case you're forced to loop, don't go for the youngster heavy powerloops, that's way too overrated and easy to block. Go for the nasty variations like sidespin loops that exit the sides of the table, spinny loops with very low and short trajectories, sudden high arcing loops, and fakespin loops (loops without much spin at all, you can see how Hao Shuai does it, it's kinda like a short pips roll).

Strategise and plan out your game starting from the serve and receive. For example, how do you want to deal with deep pushes to your FH? How do you deal with short side-topspin serves to your BH? 

You can collect statistics about where you lose points and where you win the most points to quantify your advantages. Sometimes the winning strategy may not make sense conventionally. For example if I win more points than I lose by serving long, I will serve long all game long even if the player blasts a few past me. There have been matches where I have won simply by pushing back long pushes to invite the loop, instead of performing a weak loop which gets countered back strongly.

... and do not forget to improvise and have fun!
(1) Stiga Cipper Wood (ST, 92 g) with Focus 3 Snipe (red, 2.1 mm, 42 deg) on FH and 0.6mm Dr N. Desperado on BH (2) Juic SBA (Fl, 94 g) with Nimbus Soft (red max) on FH and 0.5mm Curl P1R on BH
ttplace View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 5:18am
thanks
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 8:05am

I am off to bake my LP's and epoxy the tips, 

Mark...that is way too much work....just put the LP's face up in your back car window.....after 3 weeks of the TX sun.....you have a perfect spin eating machine that acts like a black-hole on your BH. 

yea yea...that's the ticket!   Wink
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Stellan played before the two color rule, where people hid the rackets under the table, twiddled, then stomped their feet to disguise the sound of impact. So you won't be much of a surprise.

jfolsen

Mark's the next Cai Zhenhua (sp?)
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 1:30pm
Mark! I feel and understand how much your frustrate you are right now, but you need to be patient and thinking what is go wrong in your game and what is your weakness need to be fix.
Your weakness need to be fix:
1- Keep practice loop and block at least 10 times on the table, one or two loop is nothing. Once you can loop more than 10 times in practice time then you can loop 2 or 3 times in the game. Let's thinking Mark, you don't need loop 100% your power and your mind has to remember the ball will be back so you have to ready for next ball.
2- Your next weakness is moving. When they put the ball at the middle, you try to do forehand loop that meant you leave on the right table wide open. If they block to that side then you loose.
In this case, you have few option to fix this weakness is:
a- Still use forehand to loop but you need to loop slow and spiny to his back hand and back to ready position as soon as possible for the next ball.
b- lean your right leg to the right and use backhand, loop to either his forehand or backhand then return to ready position as soon as possible for the next ball.
3- You said he attack the ball right after you serve topspin on his forehand!!!!
a- You need keep practice on your serve, it is not easy to attack if you serve low and short.
b- DO NOT serve completely on the right side, you need to serve close to the white line at the middle of the table but on his right side, If he can attack with this location he is 2500. And do not serve just topspin only, you need vary backspin and topspin even same location.
4- You said, your push backspin worse!!! you need practice. This is a key to trap people REACH and LOOP. You can't loop every single point, you need practice push then block when they loop. If you can't push and can't block, it hard to play the game.
Hopefully, you can fix all your weakness soon.
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 5:23pm
Mark, Forgot asking you what rubber are you use on your backhand?
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by TTHOUSTON TTHOUSTON wrote:

Mark, Forgot asking you what rubber are you use on your backhand?

Spectol Red 2.0 mm (short pips)

Mark
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 9:28pm
Mark is almost always joking, people. Have a good laugh.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Xiom Vega Pro FL
FH: Karis M B
BH: Karis M R
Lumberjack TT Exponent
No train, no gain.
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Mark is almost always joking, people. Have a good laugh.

Next Level,

I am deeply offended.  How dare you call my game a joke !!!

Wait a minute.  Maybe there is another approach to reaching 2000 besides the "cheating" style.  What if I employed the comedy style.    There is general agreement that I am a "funny looking" guy and just showing up at a match often causes smiles from opponents.  A few minutes of warm-up and there are often a few giggles about my form.  If I can get in a couple of jokes and maybe a good pratfall I think I can get my opponents laughing hard enough to pull a muscle or get a nose-bleed.  Match win by default !

Comedy style tactic #1 -  A priest, a rabbi, and a TT player walk into a bar ...

Mark -  Heading out to the comedy club for some form drills

PS - No Berndt, they did not order Old Bastard Ale

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 10:26pm
Mark,

The problem with your new style is that you'll never prosper LOL
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 11:40pm
If you change short pip to long pip without sponge and with your good forehand loop, I believe you will gain up to 2000 soon. Short pip won't help you much in the game and easy for them to block the ball back.
Long pip is different, it will make opponent confuse to give you the high ball and you can win the point by your forehand loop. With your age, I think you can't move and react fast like a young kid and can't rally back and forth from corner to other corner. Long pip, you just stay at the middle to push and block.

Look at PushBloker, he had only push and block without forehand loop or smash but he still win a lot of good players. You should better than that because you have forehand loop.
Only thing I would like to tell you before you change to long pip is do not give up and keep practice at beginning, it is not easy to learn how to push and block.

With my opinion, you need try long pip because your age, and your legs won't let you move like before.

Edited by TTHOUSTON - 05/18/2017 at 11:46pm
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 12:54am

+1 to infinity

or

you could use the long pips on your 4h if more natural like Dickie Fleisher who is higher rated than the Pushblocker.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 05/19/2017 at 1:02am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic