FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Beginner Paddle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner Paddle
    Posted: 02/28/2017 at 8:31pm
Hello everyone. My girlfriend wants me to teach her how to play table tennis. I have an extra old Timo Boll Spirit. It's kinda beat up and I'm not using it. Shes literally played like two hours worth of table tennis in her whole life. I know this isn't really a beginners blade, but I already have it. I think it can be suitable if paired with the right rubbers. What type of rubbers should i put on the TBS to teach her? Should I automatically teach her inverted? To me, short pimples are much easier to control for a beginner. I have tons of old sheets of inverted, short pimple, and even medium pimple laying around that she could try. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Sponsored Links

ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2017 at 9:46pm
I gifted my niece a Nittaku Septear with 729 802-40 and 729 Cream Transcend when she started playing. She's quite happy with it.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 3:34am
I was in a similar situation 3yrs ago. I taught her shakehand with my old Acoustic which is a bit heavy in the 89-90g and I believe something like Sriver or Mark V.  It was slow enough and the rubbers were not so heavy that she could learn the stroke and not have her arm get too tired.

Eventually we started playing in 2 hr sessions and the weight was a bit much, so I gave her my OSP Virtuoso CRWi UNI (which didn't work out for me...lol).  Weight was about 86g and she had a much better time with it and is using Donic JP03 1.9 on both sides. 

I think the Boll Spirit is not too fast if you can get some very generic 'slow' rubbers-- Daiwei, Friendship,ect.  Also short pips should be fine.  I'd just pick one type and stick with it.  Unless she is some athletic 'savant'-- which some people are-- I would not be trying to "match" her with the perfect setup and go back-and-forth from inverted or short pips.  It's pretty much all going to be about practice, practice, practice anyways. 

Also short pips should help with the overall weight.  I do believe keeping the weight low is better...unless your girlfriend is very strong & athletic.  
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 7:03am
Worrying about logos and materials at 2hours total playtime is a little extreme. If she plays and likes it, then, maybe move to the next step. Get her to play first.

:)
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 8:45am
Give her short pimple or inverted?
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 10:59am
Of course inverted, she has to learn about spin a rubber which does not take on spin very much is not going to help.
I also suggest to get a different blade. a TBS, a carbon blade, is wayyy too fast for her, it also does not give a lot of feedback because it is so stiff.

I would suggest a Donic Allplay + 2 Coppa/Vario (same thickness) or Primo Off- and 2 Srivers or something like that.

Surely, for the first 2 hours anything might be okay, but if she really wants to practice strokes, you should give her a blade she will be able to control and that is not a TBS.

hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 11:23am
Any 5 ply wood all around blade works great, like a Yasaka Sweden Classic, Donic Applegrin Allplay, etc.  And a classic rubber like Mark V or Sriver in 1.8 or 1.7mm would be perfect.  Or for a beginner a cheaper combo from colestt.com would be just as good.  An LKT Instinct with LKT Pro XT or Dawai Inspirit would also be a great cheaper beginner combo.
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 12:23pm
729 fx super soft! :)
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 12:35pm
I don't know how soft this rubber is but I think it's one of the biggest mistakes to give a beginner a super soft rubber. A beginner should not have a too forgiving rubber, otherwise they get the impression that their shots out of position are correct. It shouldn't be too hard to play either but they should get feedback of the racket, when they did something wrong. The first months of training are super important to not get bad habits.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 1:18pm
Something to slow the ball down like reflectiod.

I wouldn't' go for something really sticky like the 729 variants listed here.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 1:38pm
I think with the 40+ ball, TBS is not as fast as people might think, just slap on some deadish chinese rubber like 2008 xp, at our level and levels below us, the rubber has more effect on play than the blade.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

Of course inverted, she has to learn about spin a rubber which does not take on spin very much is not going to help.
I also suggest to get a different blade. a TBS, a carbon blade, is wayyy too fast for her, it also does not give a lot of feedback because it is so stiff.

I would suggest a Donic Allplay + 2 Coppa/Vario (same thickness) or Primo Off- and 2 Srivers or something like that.

Surely, for the first 2 hours anything might be okay, but if she really wants to practice strokes, you should give her a blade she will be able to control and that is not a TBS.

I already have the TBS. Its old and I dont use it.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 2:40pm
use the tbs and some of your pre used rubbers, and let her start learning
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2017 at 3:48pm
My coach got me started with 729 Friendship Cream Trascend.

at $14 per sheet, its a pretty good starting rubber.

It wont last very long, but you have to start somewhere.

FdT
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2017 at 12:40pm
The cream topsheet should last as long as anything you would get...not sure what you mean by not lasting.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2017 at 2:46pm
"The cream topsheet should last as long as anything you would get...not sure what you mean by not lasting."

The sheet of cream I had performed fairly well for about two months. After two months it started to lose grip and speed very rapidly. And I kept the racket on a case with protection sheets and cleaning it after use. Maybe two months is satisfactory for you, but it seems a little quick for me.

FdT
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2017 at 3:05pm
And I've seen sheets of cream that were still tacky after 2 years of regular play.  Maybe yours had some QC issues but I've never seen a sheet of cream that had any problems.  To me it's almost identical to 999.

I've never been a fan of transcend sponge, but I can't see it degrading either...it's so hard to begin with.  Anyway, just wanted to put in a different experience.  I don't even sell it anymore but I used to sell the holy heck out of it on magic red sponge and it was always known for it's durability.

Edited by cole_ely - 03/02/2017 at 3:07pm

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2017 at 3:40pm
"And I've seen sheets of cream that were still tacky after 2 years of regular play.  Maybe yours had some QC issues but I've never seen a sheet of cream that had any problems.  "

And how lucky for you that we cant corroborate sheet of cream trascend claim that say they last for two years. I tried very few and so I do have a very small test sample. But Im not doing science here, I simply thought it was annoying that I had to replace the sheets so quickly and it was the reason I started trying other sheets. I wanted to like it, especially since the price is so low.

In any case, they should be more than satisfactory for use by a beginner and the casual player. It is a good sheet to start with.

FdT
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2017 at 4:40pm
And I don't think so at all.  Topsheet is too sticky, sponge too thick and too hard. But as you say, we don't have to agree.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic