The JTTA made a press release on Mar 6
, listing in detail the major changes in world ranking regulations, which is to come in the year 2018.
There are roughly 11 changes from the current regulations. The most significant one being the current point table, which is used to allocate points to players, will be replaced by a new one, which does not differentiate the strength of the players, but would instead allocate points according to the final positions of the players. Read the ITTF PDF
sent to the associations for more details.
Summary of the changes in Japanese by Google Translate:
| The main changes of the new level are as follows.|
1. The new ranking conforms to the final ranking in the event. (It does not matter the relative strength with the opponent)
2. Only the bonus points on the current system are given and the rating points are not paid. Points are valid for 12 months. The Olympic Games (48 months valid) world championship (valid for 24 months) is an exception.
3. You will not lose points if you lose the game.
4. Bonus points are determined by the point table graded for each event.
5. Each ranking list will be a separate ranking list for each age category (U21, U18, U15), and calculations only consider the results of each subject category.
6. The best results out of the results over eight years will be calculated. (However, there is only one Continental Games)
7. If you cancel late participation in the event, that tournament will be treated as one of 8 results a year and calculated at 0 point.
8. If the player has not worked due to breakdown or health problems, the association may apply for a special seed if six months have elapsed.
9. If a competitor who does not participate in the age category competition at all times participates in a tournament corresponding to that age, affiliation associations may apply for special seed.
10. Calculation of double ranking is calculated based on 8 best results including no change, results of continental convention. Slow cancellation is the same as singles.
11. The team ranking calculation method will be built by the world ranking working group by July 2017.
Edited by zeio - 03/16/2017 at 9:50am