Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wang Liqin - Spectacular Forehand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
marettpen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marettpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wang Liqin - Spectacular Forehand
    Posted: 03/21/2017 at 3:32am
Sponsored Links

Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2017 at 10:22pm
Awesome!  Thanks for posting.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 9:05am
Still one of my favorite players of all time.  In his prime it was legitimate to wonder how it was that he ever lost to anyone.  He was ranked #1 in the world for 48 straight months.  His matches with Ma Lin are all classics.  One of the most impressive things about Schlager's 2003 WTTC is that he had to beat WLQ to get it.

WLQ also set a new standard for the strength and fitness needed to be #1 in the world.  CNT players and others since him have followed that approach.  People may think modern table tennis is all about equipment and balls and such (and for sure they have had an effect on how the sport is played), but another obvious thing that has changed is players are stronger and quicker than they used to be.
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 10:14am
Amazing player, always loved him. My favorite was Chen Qi, but all respect to WLQ !
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 12:21pm
I can still remember when I first saw the 1997 WTTC video (WLQ's first Worlds probably?) and thinking "Holy smokes, this dude has a mean forehand loop!" Up to that point, I thought Ma Wenge had the baddest, most powerful straight arm FH loop on the planet and maybe only equaled by Gatien, Rosskopf and Wang Tao in power.  But WLQ took it to another level.  At that time, I would see guys like Persson, Kim Taek Soo, or Saive need maybe three or four loops before blasting the ball past their opponent.  WLQ in 1997 WTTC had one shot put away.  That was against guys like Carl Prean, Persson, and Samsonov.  The last one being a losing effort.  A couple of things from that video: you should see the look on Cai Zhenhua's face when Liqin lost to Vladi.  Cai was not very happy at all and he showed it while talking to WLQ in the sidelines.  I would have hated to be on the receiving end of that... um, lecture back in the locker room.  In the Persson match, Liqin cho'd on an edge ball (or maybe a net ball) and Uncle Jorgen did not appreciate it one bit.

As much as I like WLQ, I was definitely disappointed when he was teeing off on one of my favorite players Oh Sang Eun during the 2005 WTTC.  OSE was playing very well in defeating Samsonov, then Peter Karlsson in that tournament.  He was blocking way too much and went down 3-0 before finally going all out in the fourth game.  WLQ eventually closed it out at 4-1.

In reviewing WLQ's strong FH, it is interesting how that is no longer enough these days with the speed glue ban and plastic ball.  Your BH better be badass also.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 1:36pm
Do you (or anyone else) have links to those 1997 matches?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 2:30pm
Both guys in their prime.   Something that maybe only happened once, WLQ was utterly annihilated by Samsonov (or anybody for that matter).  In case people forget just how good Vladi was.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 2:35pm
Interesting fact: that match was played at high altitude. Look up the name. Not that it matters. WLQ has a losing record against Samsonov. I think he's played 9 times in the World Cup(?) and not a single time did he win, thanks in part to Samsonov.

8 times, actually. From 2000-2007. That year, 2001, was his best record in the WC. The others were 3rd place, 5-8th place, and 9-12th place. Yup, 9-12th!

Edited by zeio - 03/22/2017 at 2:41pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Still one of my favorite players of all time.  In his prime it was legitimate to wonder how it was that he ever lost to anyone.  He was ranked #1 in the world for 48 straight months.  His matches with Ma Lin are all classics.  One of the most impressive things about Schlager's 2003 WTTC is that he had to beat WLQ to get it.

WLQ also set a new standard for the strength and fitness needed to be #1 in the world.  CNT players and others since him have followed that approach.  People may think modern table tennis is all about equipment and balls and such (and for sure they have had an effect on how the sport is played), but another obvious thing that has changed is players are stronger and quicker than they used to be.

Wang Liqin was built like a brick table tennis pizzeria and was no doubt one of the best, if not the best player of the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

But...check out this movie snippet, about a minute long, of a 1949 exhibition match between the 38 year old Viktor Barna and the 30 year old Richard Bergmann, the two best male players of the pre-sponge era.  http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/video/41054/table-tennis-demonstration-match-1949

Do not try this sort of play at your club or next tournament, ladies and gentlemen, these were highly trained professionals and obviously quite physically fit while deftly employing the antiquated tools of their trade.  Physical fitness and quickness did not necessarily begin with Wang Liqin and Co.

Also. on YouTube take a look at a longer snippet from 4:40 until 7:51 of the same 1949 match between Barna and Bergmann in New Zealand.  It gives you a little better idea of both players' offensive and defensive capabilities and the last minute is from the previous URL.  This URL is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo4RFsS83PY

Or, ignore these video clips at your historical and educational table tennis peril.

Edited by berndt_mann - 03/22/2017 at 11:54pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 11:30pm
Well, if WLQ lost to Vladi in 1997, it is not a surprise.  Vladi was #1 in 1997 (world ranking).  He only lost to the Great Waldi in the WTTC final of 1997.  It is a surprise also, since Vladi beat Waldi previously in team match.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 11:34pm
I also remember one thing.  Everybody used to praise how great WLQ's FH and never mentioned about his BH.  People do not see his BH as his weakness.

Few years later, WLQ started losing and suddenly everybody was blaming his BH as the cause, saying that he had weak BH, etc.

Same thing, people used to say how Ma Long did not have what it takes to win WTTC, and how great ZJK was.

Now, people say that ZJK does not have what it takes to keep wining anymore and praise Ma Long all the way.... Wink

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2017 at 4:10am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Well, if WLQ lost to Vladi in 1997, it is not a surprise.  Vladi was #1 in 1997 (world ranking).  He only lost to the Great Waldi in the WTTC final of 1997.  It is a surprise also, since Vladi beat Waldi previously in team match.

Sorry.  should have mentioned, the video I posted is from 2001.  couldnt find one from 97
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic