Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Power of Hirano Miu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Power of Hirano Miu
    Posted: 03/22/2017 at 3:47am
While trying to find more videos like the Harimoto ones, I found these from the April issue of Takkyuu Report.

Part 1 - Forehand Drive Against Push

It says that Hirano gets her power and stability from keeping both shoulders level during the swing.

Part 2 - Backhand Drive Against Push

'Raising' your upper body while keeping a low center of gravity during the swing.

Part 1 - Forehand to Backhand Transition

Part 2 - Backhand Drive into Backhand Topspin.

Enjoy!

Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 2:28pm
I just learnt that Hirano is suffering from the repetitive strain injury in the shoulder, which was cited as the reason for her losing in the Japan Top-12 to Ito. I wonder how much it has to do with her stroke.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 8:07pm
Always sad to hear athletes, especially the younger ones, suffering from RSI. I can't rewatch the video now, but I don't remember thinking her shoulder was a main driving force for her strokes. Maybe her strokes are developed around trying to minimise the problem. Or, I could be completely wrong because I can't rewatch it now!

I really like her backhand drive, but I'm not sure about the whole "raising the upper body" thing (against push), how she bends her back forward before the stroke, and finishes the stroke with her back straight. I always tried to stay as forward as I can after finishing the stroke.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 10:13pm
Hirano thought about pulling out the night before the competition, but in the next morning decided to play because she felt it was her responsibility as the All-Japan Champion. It is also said she has suffered from the injury before All-Japan Championships and the condition recurred during Qatar Open. Not a good sign.

The part about "raising the upper body" is normal, if not mandatory, for a low ball, even more for a backspin ball.

Note my back straightens up during the stroke until impact.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 11:56pm
Thanks Zeio. I actually find it a lot easier when I do that, too. But since I thought it was bad I've been trying to get rid of it. Good to know it's normal!

Nice backhand in the gif, btw :)
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2017 at 2:28am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I really like her backhand drive, but I'm not sure about the whole "raising the upper body" thing (against push), how she bends her back forward before the stroke, and finishes the stroke with her back straight. I always tried to stay as forward as I can after finishing the stroke.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

if you watch ZJK or Ma Long, they do the same against push. I think it's natural and helpful to generate explosive upward power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ik8Hdbzi4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0VwP4aqpOk
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2017 at 11:02pm
Hirano stretching her shoulder in the match against Ito
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic