Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Avalox P500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avalox P500
    Posted: 03/22/2017 at 12:32pm
I dinged my Samsonov Alpha a few too many times, and saw the P500 on sale on TT11. It still plays OK, but I've been thinking about getting a 2nd paddle anyways for backup (or make the alpha the backup). I want to keep my budget under 50, and the 2 I've been most interested in was the p500 or stratus powerwood. I've downgraded to Illumina's on my Alpha, and I'm leaning towards sticking with non-tensors for a bit. I'm improving a lot more, and winning more matches too (at work/club). So I wanted to see if these would be good options. 
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
Sponsored Links

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 8:25pm
Coming from Alpha (the old version I guess), P500 will be closer in speed.  SPW is much faster (compared to Alpha), yet not as fast as some rigid carbon blades.

P500 is a classic.

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 8:45pm
P500 will be a little bit stiffer and harder than the Alpha, but still in the same ballpark of all+/off- thin 5-ply wood blades. The Alpha has a small handle but the P500 and SPW both have pretty sizeable handles.

What you might like is the Samsonov Alpha SGS, but I thought the foam was a bit weird while still being very comfortable.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2017 at 11:24pm
Talking about Samsonov SGS, the new Samsonov Alpha (new version, non-SGS) with blue handle, IS EXACTLY the same as SGS-version, without the sponge.

I mean, both have bigger head and a bit thicker (new version Alpha and Alpha SGS).

By the way, you can't go wrong with either Alpha and P500.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2017 at 9:50am
I purchased both p500 and TSPW from tt1 and wasnt satisfied with both. TSPW was more stiff and soft than I expected from reviews from net. P500 was pretty same but with splintering. P500 was actually blade that forced me to stop playing tt, couldn't win any match for a month or two. Lost against almost all players I easily beat before. Totally different blade that I expected from reviews.
Ofcourse, all this is my personal opinion. Keep in mind that I like to play with flexy blades.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2017 at 11:55am

Most all blades can splinter, they need sealing especially when new. Sorry to hear your experience with the P500. Blade selection is a very subjective matter indeed. I have owned over a 100 blades over the decades of all compositions and find the P500 an excellent looping blade with great control for the amount of speed reserves it has. I find it is better with medium to hard sponges. More than enough speed to finish the point. I think it was more than the blade that made you want to stop playing the sport. LOL.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2017 at 3:09pm
I borrowed, and  tried out the P500, and I did not like it at all.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2017 at 4:12pm
I'd suggest BT555 which is an upgrade on p500, better for plastic ball it think

garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2017 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Most all blades can splinter, they need sealing especially when new. Sorry to hear your experience with the P500. Blade selection is a very subjective matter indeed. I have owned over a 100 blades over the decades of all compositions and find the P500 an excellent looping blade with great control for the amount of speed reserves it has. I find it is better with medium to hard sponges. More than enough speed to finish the point. I think it was more than the blade that made you want to stop playing the sport. LOL.

I played with various blades and with most had lot of success, like with broken primorac off-, TBS, WSC, yinhe mc-2, yinhe w6, premade bat blade, korbel. P500 was only one I couldnt use.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

I second this, as I just decided to switch back to BT555. The 2 blades are different however -- the P500 plays quicker, sharper, more linearand your feel more spin while at the table. My 1st BT555 I gave up playing ling ago and sold to my friend. I had not developed my strokes and felt that it was a slow blade. After testing it out again, I had   To go out and buy another one.   This blade is the same as Dicon but woth more solid handle and a 'damper' feelt. It is the same as the new Donic Waldner Limited but not the egg-shape construction (a disadvantagr to sweet-spot in this thickness, i.e. 5.8mm). I feel the BT555 is just flexy and sharp enough to loop well with it, yet firm and with enough dwell to drive balls. Try driving balls with the P500 and you lose control with the high throw. The BT555 can take the ball early or late with good control. The P500 prefers an active player, who's customarily in good position relative to the ball for an early or (at the top of bounce) full loop swing. (Maybe I should put a review in the BT555 thread).
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

I second this, as I just decided to switch back to BT555. The 2 blades are different however -- the P500 plays quicker, sharper, more linearand your feel more spin while at the table. My 1st BT555 I gave up playing ling ago and sold to my friend. I had not developed my strokes and felt that it was a slow blade. After testing it out again, I had   To go out and buy another one.   This blade is the same as Dicon but woth more solid handle and a 'damper' feelt. It is the same as the new Donic Waldner Limited but not the egg-shape construction (a disadvantagr to sweet-spot in this thickness, i.e. 5.8mm). I feel the BT555 is just flexy and sharp enough to loop well with it, yet firm and with enough dwell to drive balls. Try driving balls with the P500 and you lose control with the high throw. The BT555 can take the ball early or late with good control. The P500 prefers an active player, who's customarily in good position relative to the ball for an early or (at the top of bounce) full loop swing. (Maybe I should put a review in the BT555 thread).

You should! Found your post with the search function. Smile
Thanks for the review, very informative!
I'm getting interested in the 555 after having tried and liked a Donic Waldner Limited. I liked the playing characteristics of the Waldner a lot, not so the oval ST handle and I'm also not particularly fond of the JO shape.
I suppose BT555 would be a good alternative. Do you have it in ST or FL? I hope the ST handle is not thin...
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

I'm getting interested in the 555 after having tried and liked a Donic Waldner Limited. I liked the playing characteristics of the Waldner a lot, not so the oval ST handle and I'm also not particularly fond of the JO shape.
I suppose BT555 would be a good alternative. Do you have it in ST or FL? I hope the ST handle is not thin...

Played with the 555 before. It's SUPER flexible. This can be good or bad depending on your taste. When I was at a lower skill level, I had trouble receiving spins because the blade was so reactive.

I found that the Pen handle was too thin for me that's why I switched to a Stiga blade. But I borrowed an ST version of the 777 and had a few hits with it. I'd say the ST version is pretty thick, certainly thicker than the Chinese-made FL handles. You should consider the 777 as well since the wood is considerably flexy anyway.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2017 at 2:21pm
If you want a backup 5-ply blade there are cheaper options with excellent quality.
I would go to Xiom Offensive S ($36) or even cheaper DHS Power G8 ($30).
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

If you want a backup 5-ply blade there are cheaper options with excellent quality.
I would go to Xiom Offensive S ($36) or even cheaper DHS Power G8 ($30).

Thanks, I'm aware there are many good inexpensive 5-ply blades.
In this case I was especially looking for an alternative blade with similar construction to the Donic JO Limited (which I got for €30), that is LSASL*. I was particularly interested in the spruce middle ply.
The Xiom Offensive S is LAAAL
Couldn't find the composition of DHS Power G8, but looks like it has Anigre outer plies.

But you're right, the BT555 is more expensive than other blades with similar construction. I may try Stiga Offensive Classic (LSASL), which is however slightly thinner and thus flexier. I have already tried Nittaku Latika (LSASL) and did not find it great for my style (bit too fast, stiff, and head-heavy).

*:
L=Limba
A=Ayous
S=Spruce
Join the Nexy Clan!
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2017 at 7:40pm
Waldner Dicon is also Limba-Spruce (which I have used), as well as the YinHe Earth E-2 (which I have not tried but I have used the E-1 for a while)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 1:39am
Thanks. Dicon is also from Donic and has the same handle. As to Yinhe's Earth series: afaik they only produce them in FL and CPEN. That has also stopped me from getting their white-ash-outer Earth blade (E-4?).
Join the Nexy Clan!
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 8:09pm
BT 555 is a bit more flexy compared to Dicon.  It is not as hard as Dicon as well.   I once have the ST handle.  I find that the old Dicon has better ST handle than BT 555.  But the newer Dicon has worse ST handle than BT 555.

Both are good blades.  Too bad, I misplaced my BT555 and can't find it since.  I might have to order another one.  But at the moment, I am content with my Infinity VPS.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Played with the 555 before. It's SUPER flexible. This can be good or bad depending on your taste. When I was at a lower skill level, I had trouble receiving spins because the blade was so reactive.

I found that the Pen handle was too thin for me that's why I switched to a Stiga blade. But I borrowed an ST version of the 777 and had a few hits with it. I'd say the ST version is pretty thick, certainly thicker than the Chinese-made FL handles. You should consider the 777 as well since the wood is considerably flexy anyway.

I think you are not used to non-linear blade.  BT555 produces strong trampoline effect.  You need to have good delicate technique for short game.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 5:40pm
Another Limba-Spruce blade which is not widely discussed is the DHS H-GY. I believe it only comes in ST handle. I have not tried it yet but it has been on my wish list for a long time
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 1:54am
The DHS H-GY is 6.2 mm thick, so I expect it to be rather fast. Another Limba-Spruce OFF blade, in case you're interested is Nexy Spear at 6.5 mm.
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic