Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Defensive Play

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defensive Play
    Posted: 09/02/2006 at 5:38am

Being the only defensive player in may country i want to get some tips regarding defensive play frm all u good or amateur defensive play and as u guys might already know it is very very differnt frm normal topspin play

and is there any training video of defender avialable?

Sponsored Links

crizKyr729 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crizKyr729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2006 at 10:06pm
being a def player takes allot of mastery, prctice & allot of patience....
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2006 at 5:48pm
Also, always be on your toes, ready to move. Try to learn heavy backspin and heavy sidespin. If you are able to to hide what spin you use, you will be much more succesfull.
The holy grail
mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2006 at 10:18am
thank you  can u guys tell me how i should recive the service or what i should look for while recieving as i find the recive very crucial as many attackers try to finish and stop me frm gettin in to the rally
zenmaster742 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenmaster742 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2006 at 2:58pm
There is a ding song training video out there that you may be able to find. He was a short pips chopper with a really good forehand attack. If you watch him he tends to receive serve by pushing deep and heavy to their wide forehand or backhand, depending on where they are standing. This sets up a weaker first shot than he can get into the rally more easily. Also he liked to serve half long with different spins, to force them to make a weak attack to start the point.
crizKyr729 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crizKyr729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 1:25am
usully being a defensive player, often times you control the phase of the game....
mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 3:57am
thank you
anime_file View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anime_file Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 4:01am
as a defender, you should not be as worried about serve receive too much because you are not afraid of their attacks. Focus on serves that make them attack where u want them to. Like put side spin on it so that when they attack it goes towards your backhand and you be ready. Or stand more towards one side and prepare to go to the other.
mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 5:38am

okay thankz for ur advice and what shoud be my drill to practice fast first ball drive which often is a point winner angaist me. the speed stops me frm choping the ball.

mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 6:17am
and also give me more tips how to force the openent to atttack where i want to , and about the sidespin r u also taking about sidessin on serve and chop both if yes do tell me the basics of sidespin on chop angaint a drive
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 6:17am

hey, when you push with long pimples then you get that dead ball or little bit topspin, but someone said you can give heavy backspin with pushes with Long pimples too, i see it the professionels defenders do, how do you do that? much you have your racket horizontal and give a lot of friction?

anime_file View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anime_file Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 9:11am
Go look at the articles here
http://www.gregsttpages.com/
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 3:55pm

OKEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 4:35pm

there is not standing about pushing with long pimples and give much backspin

fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 4:45pm
I think haggisv explained it elsewhere, that if you use really soft/grippy long pips like globe 979, bty feint long 3, or 837, and you can push and get backspin. You have to brush under the ball really quick and time it just right. I've tried this with a friends feint long 3 and it's definitely possible, even for someone who isn't well versed with lp's.
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 4:54pm
oke so with feint long 2 can ot be too if it can with feint long 3, so your racket horizontal and brush very fast so the pimples are bent very much
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 5:00pm
yeah, the ball needs to be caught on the grippy sides of the lp's. feint 2 should work the same way as it is soft. note that all of my advice applies only to lp's with sponge under them. with the ox version, i'm not sure that it would work.
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 5:11pm

o i have 0.5mm i hope it works

hey and what is the contact point, if you want get backspin push with LP, at the table or you wait if it is behind the table? 

i do with normal rubber behind the table, so gets much backspin with it and it slow but i see the pros do it at the table almost of the bounce

fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2006 at 5:32pm
I think your contact point depends on your stroke and how far the opponent's push goes. I'm not exactly sure which is better.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2006 at 12:48am

All offencive players should perish in the flames!!!! lol  J/K  You could always just stand right up near the table and put your paddle down and block like a sunnovagun.  I wouldn't know,  I attack every chance I get.

sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 8:43am

hmm i tried the backspin push with pimples, but alsmost no backspin, with slice 40 i give very heavy backspin that the ball , but when i push with the long pimples and then when the opponent pushes or attacks it gost almost always over the table(opponents who are bad), when i push or i chop a backspin ball againt a push it goes almost always in the net because of the backspin when iam using inverted.

how do joo se hyuk do that? pushing with LP much backspin..

kollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 12:52pm
I had this problem when first switching to LP too!!!! the problem is that with inverted rubbers the motion is really a push and it puts heavy backspin on the ball. the push with LP is like a mini chop and youre only continuing whatever spin was on the ball so its not as heavy as with inverted.

the other weird thing about LP is that you can do a lot more than push with short heavy underspin balls, unlike with invirted. You can chop-block where you make a vertical chopping motion right off the bounce. you can flat push. you can chop-push. and you can always flip it, almost easier with LPs.

hope that helps. LP's add a whole lot of dimension and strategy to the game.
Shibutani ST
Tackifire C
Feint Soft
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2006 at 1:09pm
i know the chop-blocks and flat pushes, but i also want to give backpin pushes with LP, so its sort of a short chop against a push of the opponent?
mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 4:02am

Hey Guys for the Defenders in the house i would like to know what drills should i must often pracitice in my limited time these days im Giving my busy in Alevels examsn so im only practicing 3 days week about 1 1/2 hrs each

thank you very much

sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 11:42am
iam training even less my friend, but i will train more, train bh backspin
mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 1:45pm
same here ill train more too n okay ill practice BH backpin but what should be my specific drill other than one side backhand chops , like i do In and out practie i.e chop angaist a drive one back hand and playing a drop on forhand any other drill in mind
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2006 at 2:58pm
i train also with my forehand against topspin, that i blok/ or lift far from table
mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2006 at 3:28am
thank you anyother drills?
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2006 at 11:36am
countertopspinning with forehand, and twiddle your racket and make lobs or lift from the table with bh, i try to do everyting, Chop with FH and BH, blocking also and pushing with fh(much backspin) and bh and there is no spin or topspin so that combination is good
mrsultan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2006 at 1:52am
any other?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic