Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Nittaku S-series S-5 and S-7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 1:06am
Is the handle 3-D?
Sponsored Links

cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 6:39am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Is the handle 3-D?

Of course.
SDC custom st
FH G-1 max
BH Evolution FX-S 1.9
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 7:00am
How do you define a 3D handle?
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 9:16am
I guess this is what he meant: click on "3D handle design" on Soulspins's home page.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 10:07am
The S-5 and S-7 do not have Soulspins 3D handles.  They are not asymmetrical, the are normal. 

WOW  some day I hope to have a real custom Soulspin now after this new foray into Soulspin's back door so to speak. 

But lets see what happens when I get to play with the S7 I got 2 days early and setup yesterday...but could only look at it and bounce balls with it.   Tomorrow will be the first hit.  
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by young dude young dude wrote:

https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/lexik.php

Check out the properties of spruce wood.  Looks like this will not be good for looping.

Binomial name: Picea sitchensis (Sitka Spruce)

Called Fichte in Germany.
Used to create better speed, Spruce plies result in big sound and good feeling when you hit the ball, but when this ply comes too much close to the rubber, the sound and feeling are too powerful, and the ball will not be very spinny, so it is better used beneath a surface ply.

its awesome for looping....

Young Grass hopp'a....... you have so much to learn, yet so little time.....use the force....(ie search functions).    Wink

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 6:17pm
Rich is going to post a review of the S-7 soon and he wanted to put it on this thread so I have edited the title of the thread.  Other S-7 owners please post your experiences here also if you like.
            BBC Hinoki

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2017 at 1:37am
Yes, I was going to suggest the change of the title of the thread. Useful for future search.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2017 at 2:45am
Originally posted by young dude young dude wrote:

https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/lexik.php

Check out the properties of spruce wood.  Looks like this will not be good for looping.

Binomial name: Picea sitchensis (Sitka Spruce)

Called Fichte in Germany.
Used to create better speed, Spruce plies result in big sound and good feeling when you hit the ball, but when this ply comes too much close to the rubber, the sound and feeling are too powerful, and the ball will not be very spinny, so it is better used beneath a surface ply.

Such issues are addressed in the blade design.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2017 at 9:31am
Good point Nextlevel.  You cannot know how this blade plays by looking at the parts alone. Soulspin are masters at blademaking. 
            BBC Hinoki

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2017 at 3:34pm
minor update on the S-7.    Since the extra plys making the blade slightly thicker, the FL handle on the S7 feels pretty comfortable to me. 

I hit with it for a couple hours....but I can not give much impression of the blade for 2 reasons. 

1. i had too many of the thingies you see in my avatar....
2. i was using brand new rubber i have never used before (besides quick hitting with it on someone else blade to give a feel) and it needs some time to break in....maybe 1-2 weeks with my volume of play.

Also, I didn't want to pull off the VJ on the S5 just yet, will do this later when the rubber on the S7 breaks in.  I did my best cut/glue/handle wrap job ever on this one.....i thought about taking the new rubber off to use the same ones on the S5.....but it seemed like a sin not to enjoy such an elastically pleasing beauty for a few hits....    Party

So my impressions when I play tomorrow night at the club will be much more clear and evident as I am not allowed to have certain liquids in a church....Beer

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2017 at 11:05am
Ok after playing the S-7 now with Xiom OV pro at setup for a few sessions, then finally with same rubber as the S-5, Xiom Vega Japan for several sessions....

Blade plays much better with the more bouncy slightly stiffer feeling VJ rubbers.....for me.  The OV pro's felt sort of more linear and though good for the service return/short game....they just did not feel good or work half as well for looping as the VJ's.  I have not used the Pro rubbers on the S-5 yet, but I feel they need a carbon or composite blade to get best performance from. 

There were a few things I was hoping the 7 ply version would give me the 5 ply didn't.  Most important was the stiffer element of the S7 should give which would allow a lower throw hopefully.  Well the S7 does give me that for sure in comparison to the S5, but I would like it to be stiffer. 

I would say the S-5 is an ALL+/OFF- while the S-7 is OFF- solidly.  The speed difference is that the S-5 has more gears and is more dynamic but has a better sense of control because of the speed being slower.  Also the S-7 feels just slightly harder but you don't get the same "pop" or feel when hitting or looping.  I think this is because the center layer of the S-5 is a thicker core than the S-7. The thicker core ply on the S-5 is thicker than the other 4 layers above it.  What it looks like they did to make the S-7 version was to sandwich 2 other plys then make a thinner center core layer.  This allows the S-7 to be just slightly thicker than the S-5. 

So what I feel and how the S-7 performs compared to the S-5...is two fold.  The S-5 feels better to me because I like the wider range of gears and also the dynamic pop or impact feeling.  But I play better with the S-7.   This situation is the exact situation of why most of us EJ on blades and rubbers.  We are looking for that best feeling setup that is also the best playing setup.  Well for me...its a total endless chase with so many variants and new equipment coming out so often. 

Ok with that said......I really like both blades and am highly interested in a custom blade from Soulspin.  I wish Nittaku would commission another Series blade called the "S-5C", for a 5 ply composite variant.  Coming from using composite blades only for many years, it is still hard to switch back to an all wood blade.  The S-5 and S-7 are the only 2 that bridged that possibility for me.  They are close but just not quite enough for me to switch back away from composites. 

I think if they build a blade that is the same layering as the S-5 with the same thicker core ply but add "soft" composite layers to it.....that would be my blade possibly.  With the new plastic balls, I do not care how thick the blade is.  I got used to my 7mm thick Yinhe V1. 

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2017 at 12:11pm
Rich, what about the Soulspin Roots Spin Offensive 3? It is a 5 ply allwood blade (spruce/spruce/kiri/spruce/spruce) with a 7 mms. thickness, according to its website.It was reviewed by Slevin and perhaps meets your requirements.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

Rich, what about the Soulspin Roots Spin Offensive 3? It is a 5 ply allwood blade (spruce/spruce/kiri/spruce/spruce) with a 7 mms. thickness, according to its website.It was reviewed by Slevin and perhaps meets your requirements.

I rely on the carbon/composite for a bigger sweet spot and lower throw angle.  Normally I use blades with hinoki top plys....but the feel of the S-5 is really nice and comes close to a great feel for me....but too high throw angle and not big enough sweet spot for me. 

As I say....I would like to try a S-5 with composite layers added...maybe like innerforce style. And also a blade that is (Off- to just barely OFF) is really what I am looking for. I like a dampened fast feel with good low end gears. 

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2017 at 1:42pm
In this case you should try the Nittaku Septear Carbon.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

As I say....I would like to try a S-5 with composite layers added...maybe like innerforce style. And also a blade that is (Off- to just barely OFF) is really what I am looking for. I like a dampened fast feel with good low end gears. 

Any reason why you don't want to try the S-CZ?

This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2017 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Any reason why you don't want to try the S-CZ?

To add to that great suggestion: 

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2017 at 4:04pm
Thanks Rich for the review.  I am surprised that you would rate the S-5 at All+ or Off-.    My standard of reference for Off- is the Virtuoso.   My S-5 plays a solid notch faster to me but still with great control.
But perhaps it has to do with our standard for Off- or the rubber we use.  Speed terms have a lot to do with what you are used to I think.
            BBC Hinoki

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

I rely on the carbon/composite for a bigger sweet spot and lower throw angle.  Normally I use blades with hinoki top plys....but the feel of the S-5 is really nice and comes close to a great feel for me....but too high throw angle and not big enough sweet spot for me. 

Ok. Just in case you want to read Slevin's review of the Soulspin Roots Offensive 3, here it is:

http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75251&title=review-soulspin-spin-offensive

And by the way, I forgot to thank you for the review of the S-7.It's nice to see people willing to take the time to share their impressions about material they bought.

Edited by Makelele - 05/28/2017 at 5:10pm
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2017 at 1:58am
Played the S-7 tonight at my club and used my broken in Baracuda's.   It was hard for me to take them off my V1....but I couldn't stand not knowing how the S-7 performed with the cudas on it. 

Well.....glad I did this.  I think I might be more happy with the Baracudas over the V japan's on it.  I will play again tomorrow evening and have a more clear view .....then report back.

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2017 at 10:51am
Hi Rich,

Any update on how you re getting on with the S7 with Barracuda?. 

Cheers 

Edited by ghostzen - 06/04/2017 at 10:51am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Hi Rich,

Any update on how you re getting on with the S7 with Barracuda?. 

Cheers 

ghostzen......funny you should ask that question.....as I just woke up and my one accomplishment for the day is to update this thread after my friday night play. 

Much Much Much better now that the Baracuda's have fully broken in and have some dwell time.  That is basically the break in time....the sponge on this stuff needs to be beat up for a short bit before it settles in to what it is.   Only other rubber like this to me was H3 and a few DHS ones but those were not ESN rubbers. 

Ok.....I really like the S-7 now with the Baracuda 2.0's on both sides.  Compared to the Vega Japan's, Baracuda has more low end gears. The VJ is more bouncy and although supposed to be 45 degree sponge like the Baracuda. I can loop better with the VJ but I tend to send them long with the S-7. But with the more grippy topsheet on the Baracuda, I get better service and more spin on pushes now. For my game that helps so much more to set up my game to lift under spin easier.

I have settled in to the throw angle of the S-7 compared to my normal composite blades used.  I still tend to have a slight issue with the higher throw angle but not as bad now with the Baracuda because it is slower and had more grip....the loops tend to arc down faster for me which helps keep balls on the table where I would struggle too much with the VJ. Also I can leave shorter returns and spinnier serves with Baracuda.  I like that about this rubber and it is funny how this rubber is making a big come back in my club.  I find it the rubber I should of been using since it came out.....though at the time I went with Rakza 7 and was happy until the plastic ball appeared. 

My S-7 is 86 grams.  The Baracuda rubbers are slightly heavy compared to VJ at 48-49g cut weights.  My total setup with about 3.5 grams of grip wrap and custom padding....is 190gr.  But it feels fairly well balanced and not head heavy at all.  I normally like about 180-184 for total weight...but this 190 grams is not noticeable when playing.  I think I have just gotten used to using heavier or stiffer equipment with the new balls. 

I am very interested in the CZ-7 but, I have to wonder how much of the nice spruce's softer feel will be eliminated in comparison to the S-5....compared to the loss of this feel with the S-7 and S-5?  I will say the S-5 has the most wonderful feel to it, but it gets lost with the thinning of the center core they did to make the S-7 I think. Then add carbon under the topsheet and I am wondering how far away the CZ-7 feels from the S-7? 

Even though I still want more stiffness, I am going to keep playing the S-7 and Baracuda for awhile and see if my game gets better with more all-round ability now compared to my much faster and stiffer Yinhe V1. 
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2017 at 12:00pm
Hi Rich Thanks for the update. You've given me a bit of a tricky choice now

The S5 for feel, spin and touch with power or the S7 with Power, Spin and a little less feel..

I use Baracuda in 2.0 on both sides as well..

which to choose ...bugger!
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 11:57am
How does it compare to ovtcharov feat a soulspin product also.
The feat is 2spurce kiri 2 spurce, very beautiful blade to play with one of the best 5 ply wood i ever played with.
And if someone knows nittaku holz sieben how is it compare to it?
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 11:10pm
have you used any other latest rubbers like Rasanters?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2017 at 6:11pm
Just in case, Nittaku S-5 and S-CZ are on special offer (25% off) this week on tabletennis11.com.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Mars_Lin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mars_Lin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2017 at 10:02am
After reviewing all the contents of discussion, I have ordered one S-5 and should be get it tomorrow or one day after. JoeB and Rich215, could you share your rubber with me? Thanks in advance.
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2017 at 10:24am
I play Xiom Vega Europe in max on my forehand I think it matches up really well for looping and blocking. On my back and I play gamblers 4 Kings as a firm control blocking rubber. I'm sure there are lots of rubbers that could match up well with this blade. Give us a report as soon as you can

Edited by JoeB - 07/18/2017 at 8:48am
            BBC Hinoki

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Mars_Lin Mars_Lin wrote:

After reviewing all the contents of discussion, I have ordered one S-5 and should be get it tomorrow or one day after. JoeB and Rich215, could you share your rubber with me? Thanks in advance.

I used 2.0 Barracuda and Xiom vega japan on both sides of each blades. 
Mars_Lin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mars_Lin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2017 at 12:10am
Thanks JoeB and Rich215. below is a short review.

Like most of the people, my first impression for S-5 is "High Quality and nice handle". Here just a quick update.
Blade weight: 86g
Forehand: STIGA Airoc Astro S 2.1mm
Backhand: Andro Rasanter R37 2.3mm
I used to play 5-ply all wood blade, Acoustic, Tenor and YE, etc. My experience is around 3 years for play (2~3 times per week), other 4 years just try to touch the ball (3~4 times per quarter). So my feeling is just feeling, only for reference.
Actually my rubber for both sides are too soft, but I still can get good feeling and control. For the blade stiffness, I think S-5 is a little bit harder than Acoustic, but Tenor should be much harder than S-5. S-5 can make curve easily, I believe its control should be a little bit clear than Acoustic. Speed is good enough for 5-ply all wood blade, I think most of the people to play with 5-ply all wood blade is try to get good feeling and control -- I do think S-5 is the one you need to get and try.
Next time I will use forehand G1 and backhand T80. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic