Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Nittaku S-series S-5 and S-7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2017 at 8:56am
Mars thanks for posting your impressions. As you try different rubbers lets us know how it works on this blade.
I just got in another S-5 that I ordered for a clubmate.  He tried mine and really liked it. His came in at 81gm!  So sometimes they can be quite light.  Still has a very solid feel to it with nice touch.
Does anyone know of another place to buy this blade besides tt11?  Just wondering if it is more available now.
We have our State Championships here in Ky this weekend. My game is stronger because of this blade....and practice of course!!Wink 
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

Sponsored Links

wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2017 at 9:21am
Wouldn't the ZLC version be even better?
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2017 at 9:37am
I think it would depend on what you want in a blade. The combination of touch, control, feel, and speed in this blade are rare to me.   Selvin, has written on another thread about the zlc version. It would be a bit faster I assume but speed only helps if you can control it in my opinion.
            BBC Hinoki

Mars_Lin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mars_Lin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by JoeB JoeB wrote:

Mars thanks for posting your impressions. As you try different rubbers lets us know how it works on this blade.
I just got in another S-5 that I ordered for a clubmate.  He tried mine and really liked it. His came in at 81gm!  So sometimes they can be quite light.  Still has a very solid feel to it with nice touch.
Does anyone know of another place to buy this blade besides tt11?  Just wondering if it is more available now.
We have our State Championships here in Ky this weekend. My game is stronger because of this blade....and practice of course!!Wink 

As plan, I tried forehand G1 and backhand T80 today. And as my expected, I can feel better touch from current rubber compare with previous softer rubber. S-5 is solid enough to support powerful rubbers -- it doesn't mean my control become better when using more powerful rubbers like G1 and T80. The control depends on personal skill. I don't think if you cannot control T80 well with other blades, then T80 becomes easy to control just because you change the blade to S-5. From my personal feeling, even thought I am still struggling to control T80 (too hard and too fast for me), but I can clearly know why I missed and what I need to improve -- Better touch feeling do help me to understand where is the issue.
Today I played with Club mate and I can tell S-5 has better low gear sensitivity even When I using harder rubber like T80 (for me it's harder), this is what I can't fell when using other blades with harder rubbers. For my personal skill level, I may change a little bit softer than T80 and G1 in the future. But I will keep using G1 and T80 for a while to see if I can get better control.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2017 at 10:52am
I own a Barwell Fleet. But I actually started looking for blades with better control and a little slower. I have some trouble with short games. After reading the reviews, I think S-5 seems to be the solution. I'll just be waiting for the next discount, hopefully with 25% off.

Edited by wanchope - 07/19/2017 at 1:34pm
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2017 at 8:25pm
Did you see where Rich215 has an S-5 Fl for sale for 60.00??  His blade is like new...see his ad.  Joe.
tt11 has put this blade on sale twice already. With Rich you would not have to wait too long. Wink
            BBC Hinoki

wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2017 at 9:26pm
Why is he selling though? I need a cpen blade BTW
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2017 at 10:49pm
I liked this blade as well but can't judge it fully as I need to test more rubbers on it as well as practice. I played for 1 month approx with Rasanter v42 and baracuda big slam. It gives quite good mix of control, feeling and speed. It really make me easy for openning loops from both sides especially from BH with banana flicks. Handle is very comfortable.

It is more for allround attacking game as I had to put much power to hit from mid distance. However I used 2.0 thickness and not the fastest rubbers. I tried r47 but didn't like it. It requires much more precise technique so I couldn't utilize it in my game. Probably problem with speed can be easily solved with more faster rubbers like tenergy. In general I like the way it works with medium soft-medium rubbers.

Everbody was happy with craftmanship here but I am not. My blade which I got it from Tabletennis11.com was not as good as it supposed to be nittaku products which I had. The neck of the blade from one side was smoothly sanded however from another side looks like they tried to sand with knife.

Edited by player87 - 07/19/2017 at 10:53pm
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2017 at 8:37am
I wonder if the s-5 works with T05?
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 3:06pm
Found a review in German. Below was the review translated by the browser. Not very clear, but you can get what the reviewer was trying to say.

"What should I write?
Man is ordering a wood. Is already excited when unpacking .....

S-5 offensive ... a all wood

And then, with this one, in a cardboard box, one has a wood in his hand, which raises every penny that has been spent before. Just great, the thing.
Polished edges, everything finely rounded, without frills, simple and beautiful.
85g, spruce top veneer, comfortable grip for small to medium sized hands.

I was not playing for two weeks now. Has already hurt, but whether it was because I had fun?

The wood is occupied with the Fastarc G1 1.8.
The first balls are unfamiliar. I had last (four months) only the BTY Al with T80 1.9 to play.
And then after five minutes a security, balls of which my buddy is surprised as I play them, that I play them and with a precision where they are to land.
The spin-bow clearly sinking in the last third, rarely too long, except for stupid semi-bruises.
But individually:
Spin well to very good. Tangential hit beautiful forward, but always lowering, rarely too long. Pull-up, open: a great spin-bow, almost always precise. Man has to work forward, but not brutally draufgehen. It is a lot of fun.
Block always slightly forward, dripping is slightly too short. I also have a lot of balls right in front of or on the line and a lot of contestants produced. Could be too harmless for some, for me it is enough to prepare the final blow.
Flip I have to do more often, because my wrist was once again too stiff today. But the few hit had good spin, my precision was there today but nothing.
Counter was super easy to play, very good.
Defensive is easy: the Kombi play. Point . It works. I had only a few lamps, but they were all ok. One must always work, but never solid, it surprised me, how simple it can go. I never felt overwhelmed.

The parade was however overall the spin, the opening and the precision on the RH. Finished then often with VH Longline, or deeply pulled into the VH with a lot of spin and if then what comes back: short set.
A security I'm not accustomed to, with a beautifully crafted wood and floor coverings that just fit perfectly. Here and there ne small adjusting screw and it fits.
Allrounders will be happy, Powerallrounder even more. I could also ne ne Noppe very well to imagine. But then with spin or power short. Off players will probably not be so happy with it.

I will stay with the Kombi to see what happens. And hope I can train the week again ..... "
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2017 at 9:49am
From the same forum (I've slightly cleaned up - but not polished - the automatic translation):

I've had it for four weeks now and I've stayed there!
Coming from the Viscaria, it was already a change starting from the feeling at impact, it also has more catapult effect, but I just want to try something new.
Speed is upper OFF range, slightly softer when attacking than Clipper, neat self-catapult, but the top speed is about the same as Viscaria. Sound is remarkable despite its [all-wood] construction, anyway louder than Viscaria, M3 sounds pretty good on it. When blocking I have to [learn to] close the blade face a bit more, otherwise the change [from Viscaria] went fast. It is simply great in the hand and looks nice and simple.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2017 at 10:28am
Would this be a good blade for looping? Slightly softer than clipper doesn't sound like looping friendly…
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

From the same forum (I've slightly cleaned up - but not polished - the automatic translation):
<span id="result_" =""="" lang="en"><span =""="">
</span></span><div id="destText" =""="" style="direction: ltr;">
<span id="noHighlight_0.07938653160031928">I've had it for four weeks now and I've stayed there!</span>
<span id="noHighlight_0.09080603936790566">Coming from
the Viscaria, it was already a change starting from the feeling at impact,
it also has more catapult effect, but I just want to try something new.</span>
<span id="noHighlight_0.8294330855066563">Speed is upper OFF range, slightly softer when attacking than Clipper,
neat self-catapult, but the top speed is about the same as Viscaria. Sound is
remarkable despite its [all-wood] construction, anyway louder than Viscaria, M3 sounds
pretty good on it. When blocking I have to [learn to] close the blade face a bit more,
otherwise the change [from Viscaria] went fast. It is simply great in the hand and looks
nice and simple.</span>

I just realized that the review above was not about s5 but about s7. So similarly was between the 7ply version and viscaria. S5 may not be that fast, and probably with much better control.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 1:37am
Right, my bad. That was not mentioned in the review.
Join the Nexy Clan!
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 6:47am

Not a problem. It makes me more curious about this s5. Can you help with the paragraph below? The auto translation isn't very clear.its from the same thread.

"The parade was however overall the spin, the opening and the precision on the RH. Finished then often with VH Longline, or deeply pulled into the VH with a lot of spin and if then what comes back: short set.
A security I'm not accustomed to, with a beautifully crafted wood and floor coverings that just fit perfectly. Here and there ne small adjusting screw and it fits. "
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 7:36am
Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

Why is he selling though? I need a cpen blade BTW

I have both the S-5 and S-7 for sale because I am more than well adjusted to carbon/composite blades and like specific rubbers that give me bounce/catapult that I can not get from a all wood blade. 

With that said,  these blades are the closest I have ever come to accept play with.  But I needed something with more speed and lower trajectory with the rubbers I like.   I like lower throw setups and that is hard to get with an all wood blade that has OFF- speed and great allround feel/play for my style of play. 

I am using a Joola Aruna OFF now.   Was using either IF ZLC or Yinhe V1 prior.  I still use Baracuda and Vega Japan on both sides. I just need to find a second Aruna OFF FL with heavier weight = 85/87gm.  

wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 8:14am
Thanks for the clarification. I'm interested in S5 because I'm looking for something slower and with good control to develop my skiils (mainly looping from both sides) and control and help with short games. I'm generally an attacking player supported by strong spins. Would you say S5 is a right blade for this purpose?
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 10:14am
Wanchope, if you are looking for a blade to loop and spin with S-5 is one of the very best you can find. Combine that with the touch and control and it sounds like it would really fit what you are looking for in a blade.  Keep in mind that this is a solid Off blade on drives and harder strokes but has the touch of All to Off- on slower speed shots.  I continue to play it and really like it.
I had a win in our Ky State Championships this past weekend where I was able to beat a guy three straight. He was a player 200pts above me that I have beaten before but very rarely and never by 3 straightWink
            BBC Hinoki

wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 10:32am
Thanks! I literally just placed the order after seeing your response. I'll report in whether this blade is truely fast vs. slow and easy to control or not.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 2:07pm
Interesting. I found this chart from Nittaku. So the ZLC version is the slowest and softest while the 5ply is the fastest and hardest?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 2:16pm

Not a problem. It makes me more curious about this s5. Can you help with the paragraph below? The auto translation isn't very clear.its from the same thread.

"The parade was however overall the spin, the opening and the precision on the RH. Finished then often with VH Longline, or deeply pulled into the VH with a lot of spin and if then what comes back: short set.
A security I'm not accustomed to, with a beautifully crafted wood and floor coverings that just fit perfectly. Here and there ne small adjusting screw and it fits. "

Something along these lines:

In summary, the best part was the amount of spin, the opening shots and the precision on BH. I finished [the rallies] then often with longline shots on FH or long topspin to the BH with much spin and if anything comes back: drop shot.
A reliability I'm not accustomed to, on top of a wondefully finished blade and rubbers that just match perfectly. Here and there a small adjustment and it fits.
Allrounders will be happy, power-allrounders even more. I can imagine that pips would also fit well. But in that case with Spin or short Power (?). Offensive players will probably not be very happy with it.

Join the Nexy Clan!
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 2:30pm
Thank you so much!
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 9:26pm
wow that nittaku chart shows the S-CZ being softer and slower than the S-5 and S7   Exclamation  ???
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2017 at 9:29pm
I know. That part loses the whole chart's credibility to me. Not sure why
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2017 at 9:11am
Just arrived: S-5 FL 86.25gr, G1 Red 2.0mm and C1 Black 2.0mm
Let's see how this blade compares to my Infinity VPS.
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2017 at 10:22am
Looking forward to your review!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2017 at 11:22am

Interesting. I found this chart from Nittaku. So the ZLC version is the slowest and softest while the 5ply is the fastest and hardest?

On top of that, is it credible that Latika 7 is much softer and slower that regular Latika?
Join the Nexy Clan!
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2017 at 8:29am
Just want to briefly mention it that I used the blade, with t05 and fastarc s1 for a couple of hours the last weekend. It took me some time to get used to, since my prior blade was barwell fleet and I'm a first time t05 user. After the learning curve, all I have to say now is that the new setup is AWESOME!! I'm way more consistent now, able to land the ball on the table when it would have been hard to do before. Short games and back spin push considerably improved. The blade itself doesn't feel hard or stiff at all. My loops are still powerful enough and probably with even more spin. The new rubber might also play a role there. My counter loops and blocks also got better, my opponents have a hard time to finish me with one shot.
I still need to test the new racket in more games, but I'm already very happy that I made the move. I'm now a fan of soulspin!

Edited by wanchope - 08/28/2017 at 8:30am
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2017 at 8:41am
Thanks for your input and glad to hear you got your S-5.  I continue to really enjoy mine and win lots of gamesWink
            BBC Hinoki

wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2017 at 9:28am
Originally posted by JoeB JoeB wrote:

Thanks for your input and glad to hear you got your S-5.  I continue to really enjoy mine and win lots of gamesWink

Thanks a lot for bringing this blade to our attention! I think if I ever buy a new blade, it would probably be another soulspin made blade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic