FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Nittaku S-series S-5 and S-7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2017 at 10:58am
Will get my S-5 today, with Aurus prime and R47. I will report later how I feel with it. 
Sponsored Links

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2017 at 12:01am
With R47 on the forehand, S5 feels a little bit bouncy. Short games and short serves are not that good. Blocking is very good with Aurus prime on the backhand. Overall, I prefer Barwell fleet more than S5 so far. But I will give S5 more tries later since the rubbers are still new and might need time to break in. Barwell fleet with R47 is a good combination though.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2017 at 7:38am
It can't be bouncier than the bwf. I have both blades. And t05 is probably bouncier than r47, but it was easy for me. Maybe give it a little break-in time. I wasn't very impressed after the first play either.
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2017 at 9:01am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Just arrived: S-5 FL 86.25gr, G1 Red 2.0mm and C1 Black 2.0mm
Let's see how this blade compares to my Infinity VPS.

Had 4 sessions (2Hr each) with both blades. I'm comparing the S-5 with my Infinity VPS (84.45gr).
The legend handle of the Infinity is pretty thick and holding the S-5 the top of the handle (neck?) felt definitely thinner. The wings of the S-5 were nicely sanded so no sharp edges. The overall built quality of the S-5 seems very good. The weight is very well balanced. Although the S-5 is 2gr heavier, the S-5 felt much lighter than the Infinity.

Some info about me: I'm a two-wing looper, relying on spin and ball placement, playing 25+ years on a decent region level. 

The S-5 felt too hard for me, especially with the G1 on FH. My shots where not consistent and felt not comfortable. The C1 on the BH , is a very nice combination. It's some sort of a do-it-all rubber.

Mantra M on S-5 felt a lot better, even though the Mantra M is not a soft rubber at all. My shots where more consistent and packed more punch. The amount of spin of Mantra M and G1 are the same. Mantra M generates more spin then the C1. The slimmer handle of the S-5 however, is still a downside for me. 

G1 and C1 on Infinity felt very good. The Infinity has more flex (or a least feels softer) than the S-5. 
The G1 is faster than Mantra M, but because of high level of control of the Infinity, it felt very good. 

Conclusion: although the S-5 is positioned as an ALL+ blade, it's definitely faster then the Infinity VPS. I would say the S-5 is in the lower OFF segment. The S-5 is a hard blade (@Arg0, seems your acoustic theory is correct). The Infinity is a bit slower, feels softer and has more control.

Will do 1-2 more sessions with the S-5, but so far the Infinity is the better blade for me. 

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Had 4 sessions (2Hr each) with both blades. I'm comparing the S-5 with my Infinity VPS (84.45gr).
The legend handle of the Infinity is pretty thick and holding the S-5 the top of the handle (neck?) felt definitely thinner. The wings of the S-5 were nicely sanded so no sharp edges. The overall built quality of the S-5 seems very good. The weight is very well balanced. Although the S-5 is 2gr heavier, the S-5 felt much lighter than the Infinity.

Some info about me: I'm a two-wing looper, relying on spin and ball placement, playing 25+ years on a decent region level. 

The S-5 felt too hard for me, especially with the G1 on FH. My shots where not consistent and felt not comfortable. The C1 on the BH , is a very nice combination. It's some sort of a do-it-all rubber.

Mantra M on S-5 felt a lot better, even though the Mantra M is not a soft rubber at all. My shots where more consistent and packed more punch. The amount of spin of Mantra M and G1 are the same. Mantra M generates more spin then the C1. The slimmer handle of the S-5 however, is still a downside for me. 

G1 and C1 on Infinity felt very good. The Infinity has more flex (or a least feels softer) than the S-5. 
The G1 is faster than Mantra M, but because of high level of control of the Infinity, it felt very good. 

Conclusion: although the S-5 is positioned as an ALL+ blade, it's definitely faster then the Infinity VPS. I would say the S-5 is in the lower OFF segment. The S-5 is a hard blade (@Arg0, seems your acoustic theory is correct). The Infinity is a bit slower, feels softer and has more control.

Will do 1-2 more sessions with the S-5, but so far the Infinity is the better blade for me. 

Thanks, I appreciated your review and the comparison with the Infinity VPS.
Adding your thoughts to the reviews of players that previously played with blades that are faster than the S-5, I think that this thread now gives a pretty precise idea of what the S-5 feels like.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2017 at 8:50pm
Pingpongr3, thanks for your input.  I would respectfully disagree on two comments in your review.
You say the S5 is positioned as an allround+ blade. Nittaku calls it Off and on their chart it is rated slightly faster than the other two Spruce series blades. I have been playing it now for about 6 months and It is clearly in a solid Off category in my experience. I don't recall anyone rating it All+. It is clearly faster than a Virtuoso which is a great reference point for Off-.   

You call it a "hard" blade. It plays nice and firm on hard swings but has a decidedly soft feel to it. This is I think the "gear" effect of spruce and hinoki woods, but I don't think they are hard.  Hard to me is ebony, rosewood, etc.     I have lived with this blade now quite awhile and feel like I know it pretty well.  I would spend some more time with it...there is more there.   Respectfully,  JoeWink
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2017 at 2:27am
Hey Joe, I buy most of my TT gear in Germany and the German Nittaku website (and the German webshops) position this blade as ALL/ALL+ (https://nittaku.tt/collections/tischtennis-hoelzer-schlaeger/products/s5-s-serie). I agree with you that this is an OFF blade for sure.

How a blade feels is subjective and for me, it feels hard. Also depends on what kind of blades you have used before perhaps. Coming from mainly all wood blades, the S-5 feels hard. If you are used to carbon blades, then maybe this blade feels soft indeed. 

I will definitely give the S-5 another try, but as the next competition (3rd week Sept to 1st week Dec) starts in 2 weeks, I will stick to my Infinity VPS. (which for me is still one of the best all wood blades for topspin play) 
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
sherwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 6:22pm
I have been playing with the S-5 for a few weeks now and would not describe it as hard.  Spruce is softer than Limba but harder than hinoki.  The core of the S-5, however, is somewhat firmer than the S-CZ which has a Kiri core.  The S-5 is also moderately stiff (slightly stiffer than the S-CZ) but with a bit of "give", evidently due to a softer Spruce core, which allows the ball to penetrate somewhat before being catapulted out.  I normally like a slightly more flexible blade for looping but the catapult and soft touch of the Spruce make this a very good looping blade.

If you've tried the S-5 and were not impressed, it may be because of the rubber/blade combination.  I initially tried it with Rasant PowerGrip and wanted to return the blade ("this is awful", I said).  But then I tried it with regular Rasant and Tenergy 05fx and was sold ("wow, this is incredible").

The feedback of the blade is exceptional -- the best I've ever felt (better even than Septear, Virtuoso+, Expert All+, V'King).  With the right rubber, it gives a wonderful cracking sound when looping.  Also, with the right rubber, the precision and control are top-notch.

Update: I’m now playing with Tibhar EL-P on this blade and the feedback, feel, sound, and precision are even better than with Rasant and T05fx. It’s delightful to loop with this combination! Now if EL-P had slightly more dwell time in its sponge it would be absolutely perfect!

Edited by sherwood - 02/12/2018 at 1:14am
Nittaku S-5
Dignics 05
sherwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 11:56pm
Wrong thread--not sure how to delete this post.

Edited by sherwood - 12/06/2017 at 12:01am
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 12:46am
I was also quite impressed by the feeling of S5 however I like the feeling I have from Virtuoso +

S5 has little bit higher throw that I would like to have. I really like V+ now. maybe later i will give S5 a try again)))
Tox View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 3:40pm
Has anyone tried this blade with Hurricane 3 Neo? I'm thinking about buying it as it sounds really good but no one has commented on how it pairs with Chinese rubbers, only Euro 😂😂
Tuot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 6:07pm
 is it easier to do topspin on undercut with S-7 or S-5?

Edited by Tuot - 09/30/2021 at 6:08pm
Tuot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2021 at 2:50am
Can someone who has tried both of them point out the differences in behavior between S-5 and S-7?  
I am mainly interested in understanding the difference in the shooting angle, the arc of the ball.  
I am undecided I do not know which of the two to buy.

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2021 at 2:51pm
It is very easy to do topspin with the S-5     Underspin is also easy but top is the best.

Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic