Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic equivalent of Tenergy 05

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
gianquittia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic equivalent of Tenergy 05
    Posted: 04/15/2017 at 6:38pm
Hi all,
   I love Tenergy 05 2.1 on my FH.  My question is are there any Donic equivalents.  I just want to try something that may be a bit cheaper, because I find myself changing my Tenergy every 1-2 weeks.  I can see demolished pips on the sweet spot at this time and the rubber definitely performs a lot worse after 1-2 weeks (about 20 hrs a week).  I love the rubber but 150 to 300 bucks a month gets pricey.  I have tried Tibhar Mx-P max, but it is way to heavy.  I have been looking at ratings and the closest Donic rubber seems to be Bluefire Japan 01.  I am wondering if anyone agrees with this or has a different recommendation.  Thanks.
Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9
BH Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 1.9
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 7:04pm
wow, you must be rated atleast 2500 if you can do that to a tenergy in a week or 2. I think donic baracuda with some falco booster might be similar to tenergy 05.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 7:06pm
I wish, but I have a pretty fast spinny loop.  Brushing may damage the pips more by shearing them off.  Not really sure.
Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 7:07pm
Yikes, yes that sounds very expensive. Do you really feel like you need to change rubbers every 2 weeks? Even if you are playing every day hours at a time, I'm not so sure you need to do so. Anyways take a look at M2 by donic or xiom omega iv.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 7:23pm
My first thought is that the Tenergy must be counterfeit. I have never seen anyone, including Chinese Provincial players, shred a sheet of Tenergy in 1-2 weeks. Are you perhaps trying to boost it or something?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 7:27pm
even CNT players I don't think change Tenergy every 2 weeks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 7:44pm
Get them from Megaspin.net usually, so I'm guessing they aren't counterfeit, but who knows?  Usually after a couple of weeks of heavy hitting I have to change my stroke to more up and more forceful, instead of  a more foreward stroke.
Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 8:13pm
So a sheet of tenergy has broken pips after 20-40 hours, and you use two sheets at a time?
something must be wrong
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 8:33pm
I use 05 Fx on my bh.  I don't have near the power on my bh as my FH, so that rubber lasts a few months.
Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 8:39pm
Don't mind me asking, but what are you rated at? I m really curious, i have not known any friends being able to do this to 05.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 8:52pm
I would be curious to see what his rubber looks like after 2 weeks.  For me, that was about how long it took for them to break in and be really optimal.
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Don't mind me asking, but what are you rated at? I m really curious, i have not known any friends being able to do this to 05.

Rating doesn't matter, it is all about technique and accuracy. He stated he use T05 for FH and it reminds me a case of my friend; he counter-topspin every my topspin on the table and the ball only hit to a very narrow spot in the middle of his rubber.
In this case, I guess the bat is heavy to make huge damage on stroke and the opponent must be powerful as well.

Well, there is no Donic rubber for this guy, try H3 D41-42 instead.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Rating doesn't matter, it is all about technique and accuracy. He stated he use T05 for FH and it reminds me a case of my friend; he counter-topspin every my topspin on the table and the ball only hit to a very narrow spot in the middle of his rubber.
In this case, I guess the bat is heavy to make huge damage on stroke and the opponent must be powerful as well.

I have some semi-professional friends who plays 2000+ level in China rating, and shown on the pictures their "ball marks" are not that concentrated. I think they change their Tenergy (fxp, els) around every 3-4 month. From your description it feels like your friend is definitely 2500+ USATT.. 

If our good player could waste Tenergy in two weeks, H3 won't stand a chance... probably will bubble in one week, even shorter when boosted....

Edited by Jasonh - 04/15/2017 at 10:13pm
Fly away!
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Jasonh Jasonh wrote:

I have some semi-professional friends who plays 2000+ level in China rating, and shown on the pictures their "ball marks" are not that concentrated. I think they change their Tenergy (fxp, els) around every 3-4 month. From your description it feels like your friend is definitely 2500+ USATT.. 

If our good player could waste Tenergy in two weeks, H3 won't stand a chance... probably will bubble in one week, even shorter when boosted....
2650 players get a pimple tear in few matches on boosted  h3
on tenergy's about 20 days of play

Edited by Purett - 04/15/2017 at 10:30pm
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 11:04pm
Bluefire M2 or Baracuda are the closest equivalents. 2 weeks for Tenergy wtf? Look at my vids, I use Tenergy for over 4 months every time! :o
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 12:13am
  I just changed mine, but I'll try to get some pics two weeks from now to show you what I am talking about.  I am playing in my first tournament in about 15 months soon in May.  My coach says I am around 1700, but a year and a half ago I was playing around 1400.  He also says my FH is over 2000.  My weakness is serve/serve return which is improving with the large amount of practicing I am doing.  I currently can beat some players 1700-1800.  I occasionally take games off of a 1900+ player.  That being said my rating is a product of my footwork, serve, serve return, and anticipation (all are being heavily worked 4-5 times a week.  Also have slight longevity issues because I have a bulging disc in my back, so it's for me to get low after about 2 hours of playing, although pain killers help. 
  But I'll post some rubber pics in a week or so.  I should be able to put in 20 hours this week.

Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 12:54am
' 2650 players get a pimple tear in few matches on boosted  h3 '  -  Purett

Agree. My experience is that the rubber; top sheet and sponge become slightly brittle.
 Could be that the sponge becomes softer and as a result does not give the top sheet a firmer support  base.
 But, maybe its because I use paraffin oil instead of the 'real' stuff.
 Now, when I reglue, and if I want to 'boost', I will put on a 'thin' layer and let the rubber rest for 2,  3  days; regardless how fast the oil seeps into the sponge.

penholderxxx
Iloveplayingtabletennis
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 5:26am
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

Originally posted by Jasonh Jasonh wrote:

2650 players get a pimple tear in few matches on boosted  h3
on tenergy's about 20 days of play

There are some non-senses here.
1. Rating doesn't make sense. 3000+ rating but he only return and chop, his blade is soft and light, he could change a sheet after 2 months. 2000+ rating but he only attack aggressively, his opponent also attack powerfully, the bat is 200grs with booster. Give me a new T05 to my BH, after 2 hours counter attack against powerful loopdrive could bring the sheet become like 1 month used.

2. Players (esp pro) replace rubber because of feeling, they feel the rubber is not spiny enough due to their style. If you are a blocker, you could keep your rubber 2 years.

3. 2650 rating is not very high, how about Ma Long? Does he change rubber every match? ML's rubber shows evidence of heavily boosting. Why don't you ask the 2600+ guy which booster he has and where he got the H3? Low quality H3 + Falco cause bubble quickly, don't have to be 2000+ player. I could give that guy a new boosted H3 (my chemical), if he could tear the pimple after 1 week, he don't have to pay me anything. If after 1 week the rubber is still good, then it worth to pay me triple price, OK?

Edited by chop4ever - 04/16/2017 at 5:29am
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 7:09am
Boosted Barracuda is a good alternative,very good topsheet grip,you can make it faster than T05 with enough layers.Falco long booster is recommended as the effect wears off quickly with Barracuda
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 7:24am
Hi. I am not looking for more speed. Just want the same speed with the similar throw angle and spin potential. If the rubber had better short game characteristics that would be cool also. Really just looking for something that plays similar, weighs about the same (that's why MX-P is a no go-too heavy), and has more longevity. I pretty much realize I am asking a lot, but I appreciate everyone's recommendations and responses.
Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 7:40am
+1 boosted baracuda play very similar to tenergy
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 9:19am
I would start with Hexer, Genius or Baracuda.  OTOH, there is something wrong with your technique if you are doing this.  But only your coach knows.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 9:27am
To OP.  To be brutally honest,  I think you are wasting money changing T05 like that.  At my club there are several former US team members, and none of them replace rubber that often.  I can't figure how a 1700 player with a bad back and who is worried about rubber weight manages it. T05 has a slight shine to it that wears off in a couple of weeks and it becones a little duller in color but it continues to have very high performance. For a long time. Also what Megaspin sells is genuine.  Your money, your choice, but the underlying theme of the comment thread is people are politely trying to tell you that you really don't need to change like that.  I wonder what you are seeing when you say the pips "rupture"?  I used the stuff for 9 years and never saw that.

Some other rubbers have more or less comparable performance but none have the feel of T05. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 9:45am
I wonder what glue the op uses?
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 9:52am
Tenergy lasts good 9-10 months playing twice a week.... maybe 5-6 if you play 4-5 times. This may sound weird but I've seen older players (the elderly who are not in good physical shape) use tenergy and claim that they notice lack of performance after 2-4 week period and their logic would be to change the rubber. I was astounded by that claim... I looked at their racket and saw almost no wear. Told them to stop wasting their money since the rubber lasts way longer than that and maybe look at their technique.

I think whoever was selling the rubbers to these players was exploiting their pockets and didn't care to tell them the truth about durability and technique... which is kind of sad and another topic.

Point is, I don't see anyone swinging a racket that hard that they wear out tenergy in just two weeks..... unless you have a swing of Ma Long and practice 7-8 hours a day.

Edited by DreiZ - 04/16/2017 at 9:55am
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 10:17am
I have had many people that say my FH stroke looks very good, so I don't think it's a technical issue.  I'll post some pics in a couple of weeks to show the sweet spot and the flattened pips I'm guessing.  I definitely notice an extreme performance change.  I was hitting like crap one day with some old Tenergy 05 on my Freitas ALC and broke out my Timo Boll ALC with newer rubber and instantly started hitting well.    Changed the rubber that night and the Freitas was good again.
Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 10:18am
Maybe everyone is misunderstanding me playing for 4 hours a day.  I am drilling nonstop for 4 hours.  No games.  I usually play games once a week.
Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 10:48am
As Andy asked, what glues are you using?  This might just be a rubber cement problem or VOC glue problem.

Even if you drill non-stop for 4 hours, truly wearing out a sheet to a point that its performance significantly declines to unusable is not a trivial task.  A national team coach I know used Tenergy sheets that were pretty old on some of his blades.  He wasn't playing competitively of course and was just coaching but at my level, I really didn't feel there was a difference.  He used to mock me for using worn sheets of Tenergy 05, but again, even when I used new ones, it wasn't like I went from playing like crap to a 2500 level.  IT was just that my spins were slightly better and my flat strokes were slightly worse (less control).

It takes a lot to ruin a high quality sheet of European rubber, I find that some people (and this is what we are trying to say with all due respect) delude themselves that their strokes are doing things than they are not doing.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/16/2017 at 10:49am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stancuzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stancuzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 10:51am
Got me wondering - How much heavier is MX-P compared to T05???
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 11:05am
I would also wonder if you use booster or some VOC glue. Booster does wear a rubber down pretty quick.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic