Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looping heavy backspin ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pacificspice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacificspice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looping heavy backspin ball
    Posted: 04/16/2017 at 8:05pm
I am struggling to loop consistently a heavy backspin ball. Most of my FH loops are ending up in the net. If its a lighter backspin I am usually able to loop hit easily.  
Thanks.

Edited by pacificspice - 04/16/2017 at 8:08pm
Sponsored Links

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 8:49pm
There are two common reasons for looping heavy backspin into the net:

1) Not enough follow through on the stroke.  A short follow through won't lift the ball.

2) Failure to get enough forward motion in the stroke.  A lot of people think that with heavy backspin they only want to focus on lift. However, without enough forward drive, the ball won't go bast the net.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by pacificspice pacificspice wrote:

I am struggling to loop consistently a heavy backspin ball. Most of my FH loops are ending up in the net. If its a lighter backspin I am usually able to loop hit easily.  
Thanks.

If you have a good loop, just practice.   Do it step by step.   Try to loop the ball more and more slightly over the net until it starts clearing the net. Then practice looping against multiple kinds of spins and aiming the balls to different places so your loop becomes east to adapt to the ball. You are probably too used to looping topspin and haven't learned to adjust your racket angle and stroke plane to the ball.

As the spin gets heavier, it is important to learn to come round the side/axis of the ball more and more to avoid the main spin equator. This enables you to attack backspin aggressively while keeping the ball low.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 8:44am

Thanks.

You probably haven't got low enough. For heavy backspin, you need to bring your racket below your knees sometimes which means bending down even further and using more of your legs to drive the shot upwards. Without that it is impossible to loop heavy backspin balls.  
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Thanks.

You probably haven't got low enough. For heavy backspin, you need to bring your racket below your knees sometimes which means bending down even further and using more of your legs to drive the shot upwards. Without that it is impossible to loop heavy backspin balls.  
+1 on staying low. A coach told me something that helped my judgement once: "Get lower until the ball feels high".

In the OP's description, the "loop hit" is rather suspect. If it's heavy backspin, you need to brush, not hit.
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 3:31pm
Imagine that the 6" net extends up 10 or 15 feet. Now imagine that you have a heavy brick in your hand that you need to through over the net. You will need to use your whole body, especially your legs. You will need to go from low to high with the toss. To lift heavy backspin the tip of your paddle should start pointing very much down and finish pointing up. If you are putting many balls in the net, aim for a spot on the floor beyond the table.
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 3:43pm
Learn to lift that ball up and up! It's okay if it goes off the table, it's better than not clearing the net. The goal is to learn how to create you own spin on top of your opponents.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
pacificspice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacificspice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 4:03pm
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to try these tips in practise. Also if I am getting this right I will need to put in more topspin than I receive in backspin to be able to put it back over the net? 

Edited by pacificspice - 04/17/2017 at 4:06pm
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 7:29pm
All the advice up here are correct, you need combine all these advice before you loop. I just want to add once more is DO NOT REACH when you loop the ball. You need "move to the ball" then loop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic