Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

more controllable stratus powerwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: more controllable stratus powerwood
    Posted: 04/19/2017 at 12:16pm
gewo zoom balance
stiga allround carbon
tibhar stratus defence
xiom offence s
joola rossi emotion
yasaka Sweden extra
andro carbon light all+
andro ligna off
tibhar startus powerwood

so I need a 'flexy' blade I think.

I love the arc I get with my natural shots from tspw, the only other blade I have tried recently that works has been the ligna but its too fast and hard

the tspw is also too fast for me

so I need all or off- with the same arc properties of my tspw

the only thing I can think now left to try is

stiga allround evolution
or
applegren allplay

but worried they will be too slow

need to keep the arc I get naturally but need something nsofter for blocking and serve return and not driving long, nothing carbon

wonder whether victas koji matushita might be the answer but might be too slow

someone help please??
before I end up in the ej nut house

Edited by mog1111 - 04/19/2017 at 12:18pm
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Sponsored Links

janekb View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janekb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 1:29pm
Yasaka Sweden Extra would be my choice
Janek B
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 2:05pm
I switched from the TSPW to the Tibhar Stratus Sam Carbon. Usually, carbon blades tend to be faster than all wood, but in this case I found the TSSCB to be a bit slower and more controllable.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 2:05pm
yes I did try one of those round Christmas and had some good results, but then I had a couple of bad results and gave up on it.

perhaps I shopuild have tried it more
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

I switched from the TSPW to the Tibhar Stratus Sam Carbon. Usually, carbon blades tend to be faster than all wood, but in this case I found the TSSCB to be a bit slower and more controllable.

yes I had a brief knock with one I borrowed and it felt strangely slower, however I think it might have too flat a trajectory to suit my shots
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 2:08pm
whats the genesis like, im currently experimenting withb rising dragon?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
eggplants View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggplants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 2:36pm
Before using the TSPW, I was using a Japanese-made BTY Petr Korbel, which is a tad softer and slower. Stiga's Infinity VPS is also similar - not too fast, while maintaining the vibration of all-wood blades. 

LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 2:39pm
Genesis is a nice hybrid. It's got a grippy top sheet (supposedly Chinese) and a familiar medium sponge. I can't recommend the S version, but the M version suits my backhand perfectly.

On the TSSCB, I've found two different types depending on the wood used. One version is stiff and kind of sharp feeling, which I did not like at all. The wood on that one was light color and not much obvious grain in the wood. The other version seems flexier, and has much better feel. It has a medium color wood and more obvious grain in the wood. I found two of those that match and kept those, and sold the third sharp version. My guess is the factory produced the same blade from two completely different batches of wood.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

yes I did try one of those round Christmas and had some good results, but then I had a couple of bad results and gave up on it.

I got bad news for you. Your issues go beyond equipment.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I got bad news for you. Your issues go beyond equipment.

yes they do 20 years of bad technique, but the stratus is too fast and bouncy for me. I keep trying other blades and they are just too flat or hard or don't feel right.
my biggest problem is my feet plant and don't move early enough.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 6:27pm
I think a far bigger problem is that you change blade every time it rains. It is like changing your hand every time it rains only you can't.   You need to get used to and embrace something or just have fun using all kinds of equipment like I do. The holy grail blade for someone with your issues does not exist.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 6:36pm
yes I realize that, I do now know what I want, basically a slower less bouncy but still good for looping tspw.
h3 works on my bh
if rd does not 1.9mm tenergy will be a fall back

I played with a Sammy alpha, Tibhar rapid and mendo mp for years without ever changing

I should probably of stuck with the Yasaka extra tbh, felt like I enjoyed playing with it, however gave up on after a bad night.

it is true I have made so many changes my hands don't know what they are doing with any blade or rubber though.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 9:07pm
Have you tried yasaka sweden classic? It's def flexy, and at $26 from tt11 pretty low risk ejing
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 9:12pm
probably be too slow

im probably gonna try a stiga allround evo and I am going to borrow my Sweden extra back
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 10:04pm
Shout out for the Appelgren Allplay.  It's fast enough.
Tabmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 10:21pm
How if you change the rubber to the thinner sponge instead of changing your blade ?
My feedback :
mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77680&PID=959859󪕳
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

Shout out for the Appelgren Allplay.  It's fast enough.

My vote too :)
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2017 at 1:57am
I would say that Stiga Allround Evolution will be a tad slower than Yasaka Sweden Extra (or Yasaka Extra).

Appelgren is quite unique, it's supposed to be slower than those two above, but with the right movement, you can still blast the ball past the opponent.  Maybe the flexibility plays a great role here producing 2nd kick off the table.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2017 at 1:58am
Originally posted by eggplants eggplants wrote:

Before using the TSPW, I was using a Japanese-made BTY Petr Korbel, which is a tad softer and slower. Stiga's Infinity VPS is also similar - not too fast, while maintaining the vibration of all-wood blades. 

Korbel is a classic but its handle is too thin.  Infinity is good also but with better handle.

Both are faster than Allround Evolution and Yasaka Extra
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2017 at 5:04am
being in same search for flexy blade for years, I can say: there are no more flexy blades. Even korbels are now stiff and with fat handle.

Solution is switch to yinhe brand. I use mc2 which is very good, flexy and off-, handle is thick. W6 also flexy and high throw, but slower. MC2 has some med+ throw.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2017 at 6:48am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I would say that Stiga Allround Evolution will be a tad slower than Yasaka Sweden Extra (or Yasaka Extra).

Appelgren is quite unique, it's supposed to be slower than those two above, but with the right movement, you can still blast the ball past the opponent.  Maybe the flexibility plays a great role here producing 2nd kick off the table.

would you say the evo and applegren are both more flex than the Sweden extra?
I tried the Sweden extra but was not totally convinced by it
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Tabmini Tabmini wrote:

How if you change the rubber to the thinner sponge instead of changing your blade ?

this does not work on stratus it just bottoms out and feels awful for me at least
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2017 at 4:49am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

being in same search for flexy blade for years, I can say: there are no more flexy blades. Even korbels are now stiff and with fat handle.

Solution is switch to yinhe brand. I use mc2 which is very good, flexy and off-, handle is thick. W6 also flexy and high throw, but slower. MC2 has some med+ throw.

True, new Korbel is a bit stiffer.  I guess they make it to cope with 40+ mm plastic ball

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2017 at 4:51am

Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

would you say the evo and applegren are both more flex than the Sweden extra?
I tried the Sweden extra but was not totally convinced by it

It's been a long time, but old Extra vs. old Allround Evolution vs. old Appelgren are about the same in term of flexyness.

New Extra is thicker and stiffer.   Find the one non-JTTA.  At least my stiffer Extra is non-JTTA.  My old Extra is JTTA and is flexier.
stancuzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stancuzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2017 at 12:33am
Stiga Offensive NCT is a good choice IMO - not slow, not too fast, little flex and superb control. Just make sure not very light weight , if you decide to purchase it - over 84g. would be OK.
Cheers.

Edited by stancuzi - 04/22/2017 at 12:32pm
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2017 at 9:17am
@ mog1111 - Have you considered that the blade flex could be the problem and contributing to inconsistencies..?

Your swing may now not be suited to a blade that flexes too much...

Just putting it out there... 🙂
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2017 at 10:12am
nexy peter pan
yinhe earth 3
stiga infinity vps

all of the above mentioned are slower than spw
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

@ mog1111 - Have you considered that the blade flex could be the problem and contributing to inconsistencies..?

Your swing may now not be suited to a blade that flexes too much...

Just putting it out there... 🙂

this is a very interesting point, while I like the loop and arc I get from the flex, it could well be contributing to the inconsistency.
several people have pointed out that I should adjust if I persevere with a different blade.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2017 at 11:15am
im borrowing an infinity on Monday, so we'll see how that feels
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2017 at 2:28pm
Comic Waldner Sensor (NON-carbon; yellow handle). Always gets compared to Korbel and Stratus Powewood does too.
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic