FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yasaka Valmo review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Valmo review
    Posted: 04/24/2017 at 3:24pm
I bought Yasaka's new, made in Japan rubber. This is my first Yasaka rubber and I bought it to see if they have managed to come up with something new that surpasses the majority of the recent years' ESN range which were not only similar to each other but also did not show anything new except marketing blurbs and some minor changes in feel. Their playing characteristics were mostly the same - I am thinking of the Donic Bluefire line for example which are mediocre in my eyes at best.

So I bought the Valmo, hoping to find something that is really adapted to the plastic ball and not ESN made. My  problem with ESN stuff is that they produce rather flat trajectory shots in general, causing their user to either hold back a little. Tenergy beats most ESN rubbers here in my opinion.

I bought a sheet of max, the weight is 66 gramms uncut (168x170mm) It features a porous white sponge that is different to ESN sponges. The size of the pores is very small, Tenergy-ish, I would say. As it lays on a flat surface, the edges curl up a bit and it has no booster smell whatsoever (the Bluefires or even the Evolution series do smell of booster).

Upon first inspection, the topsheet feels somewhat different to ESN as I pull my finger accross it: it feels softer and elastic, not that synthetic plastic feel that German topsheets have. The pimple geometry seems identical to the XIOM OV Asia.

I will be posting my first impressions around the weekend. I am not boosting it in any way yet. EDIT: the above pertains to ESN products made before 2017. I have not yet tried the new and hopefully improved German type rubbers.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 04/24/2017 at 4:03pm
Sponsored Links

Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2017 at 3:32pm
Sounds a bit like Juic T+PV,  a decent 40+ Japanese made rubber with soft, elastic topsheet. 
Fly away!
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2017 at 7:18pm
Looking forward to your impressions
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2017 at 8:21pm
Did you happen to weigh the uncut sheet?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

No unfortunately and I glue it on first before cutting it to the size of the blade. I can weigh it when I remove it for the first time.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

No unfortunately and I glue it on first before cutting it to the size of the blade. I can weigh it when I remove it for the first time.

Huh? You said this in your post:
"I bought a sheet of max, the weight is 66 gramms uncut (168x170mm)"
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 10:56am
It looks like Rich read my post as thoroughly as I did his Wink I thought he had read the entire text and was asking after the cut weight.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 11:10am
Sorry,  my mistake.   66g for max uncut is not at all heavy in this day and age. 
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 12:47pm
I've always had a soft spot for Yasaka rubbers. I look forward to your review as well.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 1:51pm
looking forward for a review
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2017 at 11:38am
I am writing this after about 3 hours' testing. It is glued onto a Korbel SK7 that is 93 gr. There is a boosted OIV Asia on the other side.

Valmo does have some characteristics that distinguish it from most ESN rubbers that I tried (I am thinking of the Bluefires and XIOM rubbers), however, they are minor. For one thing, the topsheet is a bit softer (not ESN softer) and it gives a different feel when touching the ball - it gives a sort of dampened feel, not the ESN kind of "bite and then shoot it out". But when you make a strong stroke, the rubber and the sponge work together and the ball just rockets off. The feel reminds me of classical rubbers like Sriver. Its behaviour is reliable close up and at mid -distance. It looses edge when you are pushed further than three meters.

The other thing is that the arc is a little higher on loops than e.g. a Bluefire M1 and you do not have to hold back so much as at higher speeds. Unfortunately this is a minor difference. I does block nicely though.

Compared to MXP or the Tenergy series, its top speed is noticeably slower and in spite of the nice arc it produces on loops, it is less dangerous for the opponent both with plastic balls and celluloid. While we were using celluloid, it did everything reasonably well. When we used it with Nittaku Premium plastic, the first couple of strokes were a disaster: I sent all of my loops into the net. My partner noticed that there was no arc and very little spin on the ball. I asked him to switch blades for a minute and I instantly hit a winner with his boosted Tenergy on the very first stroke. This is where we stopped and both of us agreed that his boosted T05 is superior in all aspects with the Nittaku.

So the essence of my findings is that it is not a rubber from Yasaka that would approach the performance of Tenergy. Althoug it is made in Japan, I do not feel they have managed to make a breakthrough. It is as if Japan had their own ESN factory now that is able to produce mediocre sheets but not the real stuff.

In my view, it could be a better choice than the Bluefire series. The speed maybe less than M1, more like the range of M2 but it is more reliable. It is not a match for MXP or T05. In terms of spin, it is average ESN spinny but not T05 (or even MXP) spinny. It has not convinced me so far but I am going to boost it and do some further testing.

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2017 at 12:05pm
This sounds in my ears as if you are talking about Nexy Karis M Wink

Edited by Magic_M - 04/29/2017 at 12:54pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2017 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

This sound in my ears as if you are talking about Nexy Karis M Wink

Surely another rubber from the same factory.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
drclaude1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drclaude1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2017 at 1:41am
Could you please compare it to the Rakza7?
Carbonado 290

Rakza7
Rakza7
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2017 at 3:54am
Unfortunately not. Nobody on the team plays with Yasaka.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 11:19pm
when i saw the jp hybrid i am thinking this is close to mantra and karis
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 11:55pm
It does not seem like a big surprise that the BOOSTED tenergy 05 is more active than a non boosted Yasaka valmoGeek.  Seems liking comparing apples and oranges.
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 1:08am
Originally posted by clannewton clannewton wrote:

It does not seem like a big surprise that the BOOSTED tenergy 05 is more active than a non boosted Yasaka valmoGeek.  Seems liking comparing apples and oranges.

That was meant to underline that Valmo is in no way exceptional in spite of being made in Japan, newer technology, etc

I have been trying it since my last post but my opinion has not changed. If you like, Valmo unboosted is equally inferior to an unboosted Tenergy or MXP from the perspective of offence.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 10:14am
I was curious with the valmo good thing the yasaka disributor here in my place sent me a sample
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 9:39am
How hard is Valmo topsheet & sponge? Hans: how is Spin compared to M2? Is it better FH or BH rubber for you?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 1:38pm
Valmo is softer than ESN 47  for sure. I would say it is around M2 hardness overall but it behaves differently. The topsheet feels softer to me but it is difficult to tell because Valmo is springy whereas M2 not so much.

Valmo is more of a speed rubber and I regard M2 more of a spin rubber.  On slow topspins M2 is spinnier for sure.

As for the differentiation between FH and BH, to me there is no such thing as backhand or forehand rubber if we speak inverted euro style rubbers (Chinese is a different story of course).  I can use Valmo on both sides with equal results.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Valmo is softer than ESN 47  for sure. I would say it is around M2 hardness overall but it behaves differently. The topsheet feels softer to me but it is difficult to tell because Valmo is springy whereas M2 not so much.

Valmo is more of a speed rubber and I regard M2 more of a spin rubber.  On slow topspins M2 is spinnier for sure.

As for the differentiation between FH and BH, to me there is no such thing as backhand or forehand rubber if we speak inverted euro style rubbers (Chinese is a different story of course).  I can use Valmo on both sides with equal results.

So you say that M2 is spin type and Valmo is speed type here but in an earlier post you say the speed of Valmo is similar to M2. If it has the speed of only M2 and with less spin it seems like it's mostly just an inferior rubber. Would you agree?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 6:53pm
In short, I would. Going into the details, I do not see Valmo as something that is a step forward from German rubbers.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 8:44pm
Got my valmo and will test it today. Rubber is almost soft maybe at 45 degrees so medium to medium soft feel overall. Sponge.reminds.me of the aurus but topsheet is more.like mantra n karis. 65 grams uncut

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2017 at 12:51am

the Valmo is a surprisingly good Japan-euro hybrid rubber. You would mistake the Valmo as a pure tensor rubber but it has a japanese topsheet and possibly esn sponge. the rubber feels medium soft overalll. The ball digs some depth into the sponge when you are hitting with it. THe topsheet looks like that of the Rhyzm-P and Rakza X and you would be fooled tp think it is a german topsheet but it is not. THe topsheet is very grippy and could produce very heavy spins. THe combination actually works fine because the rubber spins great and is able to go toe to toe with euro rubbers except maybe for the MXP. it is slower than the MXP but faster than EL-S or EL-P. At first try it is closer to the Karis M but it feels like more an esn rubber than a japanese one. Overall, this rubber is amazing. It hits really good in smashes, it loops well with a medium arc but with a long trajectory and a good blocking rubber. 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2017 at 12:02pm
I think when someone tries a new rubber and hits the first couple of loops into the net with a plastic ball, it is maybe not enough to decide that a rubber is inferior to boosted T05.  What I learned from that is that this Yasaka rubber is slower and lower on one kind of shot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2017 at 5:02pm
I have just played another 2.5 hours with it and I still think that it is not outstanding - and I am saying this with utmost respect to Yogi's expertise and his input on internet forums.

To name a couple of rubbers, MXP, Rasant Powergrip and T05 are simply better and I am yet to see the new Rasanter lineup or the Bluestorm series.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2017 at 7:40pm
Mxp is still king non tenergy rubbers but the valmo is a good rubber . At least it is better than older esn rubbers and the rubber is good ebcause it is very easy to use and produce spin.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I think when someone tries a new rubber and hits the first couple of loops into the net with a plastic ball, it is maybe not enough to decide that a rubber is inferior to boosted T05.  What I learned from that is that this Yasaka rubber is slower and lower on one kind of shot

Many people judge a rubber by how it loops and topspins. Of course, other things like how well they can push or block or counter or return serve are rarely highlighted because these things don't factor into their process.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 7:16am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Many people judge a rubber by how it loops and topspins. Of course, other things like how well they can push or block or counter or return serve are rarely highlighted because these things don't factor into their process.

I agree. Many posters like to describe themselves as two-wing loopers. But in reality their game is mostly about push, half-chop, topspin-drive and smashing rather than an outright looping style.
It takes a high degree of skill and mobility to have a game based on the loop.

Edited by Tinykin - 05/24/2017 at 7:16am
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic