Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

serve selection and 3rd ball attack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tmham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: serve selection and 3rd ball attack
    Posted: 04/27/2017 at 7:51pm
Hi all, I was wondering what kinda serves would you choose for 3rd ball attacks on either BH or FH (assuming both you and the opponent are right-handed)?

Right now, if i choose to do a 3rd ball attack on my FH, I would choose to serve a long/short underspin serve to my opponent's FH or crossover and hope for a push to my FH. 

If I choose to do a 3rd ball attack on my BH, I would do a under/sidespin or top/sidespin pendulum serve to the opponent's BH. 

Do any of you have such set plays that you find useful? Or do you just adapt and adjust your serves to the opponent's tendencies on a case by case basis?

I look forward to your feedback! Thanks! Clap

Sponsored Links

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2017 at 8:10pm
Table tennis coach EmRatThich answered your question in an 11 minute video
http://youtu.be/hqhsKCogWhQ
tmham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2017 at 12:32am
thanks for linking that video. I took his advice at the club recently and smoked some opponents who I had trouble with. I'm just wondering if anyone has a different philosophy that work.
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2017 at 12:59pm
With my game, I will explore all my serve in the game from score 1-1 to 6-6 then start to use my favorite setup after score 6 even or 7 even.
Second, during the game I will explore his/her weakness and strongest return then avoid his strong side and attack his weakness.
Bottom line is my serve has to perfect, hard to read but legal. When the opponent can "read" your spin, they will trap you back easily by push long deep heavy backspin if you serve backspin or attack right away if you serve topspin.
Every body different so you need to explore and adjust by each game.
That is my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic