Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Arctic Wood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
RayZRay View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayZRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Arctic Wood
    Posted: 04/29/2017 at 11:30pm
Has anyone tried the Stiga Arctic Wood. 
Here is the Blade description form TT11.
< ="http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/checkout/cart/add/uenc/aHR0cDovL3d3dy50YWJsZXRlbm5pczExLmNvbS9vdGhlcl9lbmcvc3RpZ2EtYXJjdGljLXdvb2Q,/product/21964/" method="post" id="product_addtocart_" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
number of layers:5
approximate weight (g):95
type:OFF+
thickness (mm):6
Built as a offensive 5-ply with special temperature treated middle veneers (VPS) which reduces vibrations and gives great stability. And a new, slow growing hard outer veneer never before used in table tennis. Made in Sweden.

Sponsored Links

Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2017 at 4:25am
Using the "Stiga Arctic Wood" the ball will freeze and stop spinning when you hit it.
When the ball hits the opponent's bat, it will get suspended in Mid-Air.

You'd be like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat...
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2017 at 3:15pm
===
EDIT July 2017: adding some info to my earliest post, since STIGA rectified the data about Arctic Wood since the OP.
number of layers:5
approximate weight (g):85 (not 95)
type:OFF (not OFF+)
thickness (mm):6

Arctic Wood is what you get when you combine nature and science. A blade born in nature and crafted by our knowledge and experience. For this blade we have found a rare pale outer veneer which only grows in the cold and deep forests above the arctic circle. This together with our well-renowned VPS (Veneer Precision System) in the second layer results in a unique blade with characteristics like non-other.

CONTROL: 65
SPEED: 110
VENEER: 5
ELASTICITY: STIFF
TYPE: OFF 

===

Seriously?
Anyone dared to wield it, yet?

Edited by arg0 - 07/21/2017 at 3:10pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2017 at 4:07pm
This Arctic Wood was an option for me until I saw the price. $120 is too much, no matter how good it is.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2017 at 4:22pm
It's not an option for me as well (too fast), but I'm still interested to know whether this new hard arctic wood outer layer lives up to the manufacturer's hype. They certainly went great lengths (pun intended) to advertise it with their video.
Join the Nexy Clan!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 9:39pm
i am waiting for my blade in 1-2 weeks time.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 1:51am
@yogi_bear, looking forward to your review :)
Especially a comparison with Infinity would be great.
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 8:07am
Arctic has no woods. Only ice.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

Using the "Stiga Arctic Wood" the ball will freeze and stop spinning when you hit it.

Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

...seems quite difficult to get a serious contribution in this thread... Unhappy
Join the Nexy Clan!
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 5:03am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

...seems quite difficult to get a serious contribution in this thread... Unhappy

The "Arctic has no woods" post points us in the direction of the truth: Stiga Arctic Wood is an anagram for Cactus Twig Roots. Everyone knows that cactus is not wood at all, and blades made from it are not legal.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 9:39am
There are a couple of reviews in chinese. It is faster than VPS infinity with precise placement. But people are afraid that the handle might get dirty pretty easy.
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 2:50pm

I don't know what else to say. It's a 5-ply Stiga blade that's gonna be a tad faster than Stiga's 50 other 5 ply blades:
+/- Speed (Depending who you are, which blade you're comparing it to and what rubbers you're using.)
+/- Control (Depending who you are, which blade you're comparing it to and what rubbers you're using.)
+/- Throw Angle (Depending who you are, which blade you're comparing it to and what rubbers you're using.)
+/- "Gears" (Depending who you are, which blade you're comparing it to and what rubbers you're using.)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 3:52pm
Thanks.
Back to the OP's request.
Originally posted by RayZRay RayZRay wrote:

Has anyone tried the Stiga Arctic Wood.
[...]
Join the Nexy Clan!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 1:23pm

Sounds like just another really stiff Off+ class blade. Less dwell usually equals less spin unless it's a brush stroke. Loving my Stiga OFF CR with 4 layer glue Max Mark V. Max happiness. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 8:29pm
wow nobody has tried it?
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 2:14pm
it is quite available now.  Has anyone used it?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 3:05pm
Ordered one about one month ago, still waiting for it to be shipped.
Other shops appear to have it in stock by now, though.
Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 3:29pm

strange.  good luck with the order.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

strange.  good luck with the order.

Sure, thanks. I fully trust the shop, it's just that they do not have it in stock yet. When I ordered they had predicted to get it on 22 May, but now the product page still says "ships in 4-8 days".
Other shops, such as tabletennis11, apper to have it in stock, though.

Looking forward to the first review.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 4:29pm
BTW, and in response to one of my posts above, the price is way lower than the $120 first reported. Ordered mine for less than $80 shipped.
Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 5:29pm

BTW, and in response to one of my posts above, the price is way lower than the $120 first reported. Ordered mine for less than $80 shipped.
good price, I checked a site that is charging more than 100.  I just ordered it from TT11 - don't usually do this - ordering without seeing a review - hope for the best

Edited by tom - 06/06/2017 at 5:29pm
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

good price, I checked a site that is charging more than 100.  I just ordered it from TT11 - don't usually do this - ordering without seeing a review - hope for the best

TT11 has a 30-days no-questions-asked return policy (customer pays return shipping, though), so if in the meantime reviews come out that picture the blade differently from what you expected, you will be able to send it back (if you did not test it yourself, that is).

Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:31pm
Arrived today!
The mysterious surface wood is unusual: it seems very hard, however it is not completely even, but has tiny grooves along the grain. A bit like limba, but less dense. I've never seen such groves in spruce or cypress wood, which normally have a very smooth grain (edit: my point was that I was expecting the outer ply of Arctic wood to have a similar structure to cypress or spruce, which are both conifers, but this is not the case. So either there are conifers with different structure, or trees in the Arctic that are not conifers). [update: my current best guess is that the wood is sorbus aucuparia (rowan), which is a hardwood, see my posts later in this thread]
I'll try to take a better picture later. Save Save

Edited by arg0 - 06/24/2017 at 8:01pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:42pm
Looking forward to your playing impressions!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:46pm
doesn't look so bad, could only see one rough area.  a photo on a Chinese website had more rough areas.  I guess visual attributes are important, but lets see how this mystery wood plays.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 5:03pm
Doesn't look bad at all. Moreover, the blade is much lighter than I expected. Expecting the average to be 95g (as per Stiga), I asked for a light one, possibly around 85g, and actually got 82g. That's perfectly fine, I'm not into heavy and fast blades anyway.

This is my first Stiga blade with ST grip and I must say it fits my hand very well. The handle is on the thicker side (unlike some thin ST handles of Nittaku and Butterfly blades) and similar in size and shape to Violin and Acoustic Large Handle. The shape of the cross-section is a golden average between oval (e.g., Donic ST) and squarish (e.g., Butterfly M. Maze ST).
If this is the size and shape of the typical Stiga ST "classic" handle, I feel I should have given more attention to Stiga during my EJ career (which is slowly getting to an end).

Anyhoo, from the ball bounce tests it seems to be a fast blade, quite 'reactive' (as opposite to 'captive', to XIOM terminology), and hard. But it does not seem to be very stiff. So it may turn out that OFF+ is overrated. At least, that's what I hope. I'm not into fast blades, and I just decided to give this blade a go because of the looks and the hype, and because I was curious to try a Stiga ST handle.
Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 6:06pm
Please take a picture of the full handle when you have a chance.  I had one ST from Stiga " Hybrid Wood" and it was too small.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 10:49pm
good for you. my arctic will be sent by stiga next week. teh outer plies look closer to a white ash or spruce
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 1:14am
They're very different from either. Stripes are wider and more coloured than in white ash, and spruce does not have grooves in the grain. I'll try posting a better picture to show the difference.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 3:32am
The straight handle cross section measures 29.5 x 23 mm.
Save

Edited by arg0 - 06/10/2017 at 4:09am
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic