Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Arctic Wood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2017 at 11:23am
That is an interesting outer veneer. The tree in their picture looks like some type of conifer which would be soft wood. The top veneer reminds me of quarter sawn ash or birch. Arctic Birch is used in guitars and gun stocks but you dont see a lot of it quarter sawn.Second ply is obviously spruce and since it's stiga the core is ayous.
Quarter sawn birch looks like this

Edited by jpenmaster - 07/17/2017 at 11:30am
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Sponsored Links

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Hot mercy Martha!  You guys are quite the dendrologists.  Back when I was a sophomore in high school I compiled a leaf collection for a botany project and could tell a quercus rubra (red oak) leaf from an acer rubrum (red maple) one.  

Back in that day we didn't worry too much about the composition of our ping pong paddles though.  I do remember that they were pretty much made of some kind of wood though.  Probably not Arctic wood, and they certainly weren't Stigas.

That's the power of Internet. Without it, I would barely be able to tell a maple from an oak tree! :o)

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

That is an interesting outer veneer. The tree in their picture looks like some type of conifer which would be soft wood. The top veneer reminds me of quarter sawn ash or birch. Arctic Birch is used in guitars and gun stocks but you dont see a lot of it quarter sawn.Second ply is obviously spruce and since it's stiga the core is ayous.
Quarter sawn birch looks like this

Do you have a larger image of that birch? I first thought it could be birch, too, but eventually I found some quarter sawn images of Sorbus aucuparia (see my previous posts) and I think it's more similar.
Note: though also called rowan or mountain ash, Sorbus aucuparia is unrelated to the true ash trees (genus Fraxinus).Save

Edit: typoSave

Edited by arg0 - 07/17/2017 at 1:30pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 11:35am
After a long wait, finally received mine today.  With Rasanter V50 and R47, the combo seemed quite (too?) fast on a simple bounce test.  The pale wood handle looked more interesting in the photos.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2017 at 6:17pm
This review comes from a German Forum (tt-news.de).
It is part of a longer post. It's machine translated. I changed some parts to make it more readable, it has still rough edges, though.

This season I ended up trying my last two Saive Power. These are a little stiffer than the Stiga off classic Wrb... and are no longer produced (?).
So [...] I bought the two new Woods....
The Stiga Arctic Wood and the Stiga Celero wood.

[Coming] From the Offensive Classic WRB (OCW), or from the Saive Power, I was hoping that among the two woods I wound find a successor, which can be played a little faster and stiffer. The first test with old rubbers was not so meaningful. So I also quickly ordered the same current rubbers in new...
[...]
The very short comparison/first impressions were thus created when playing an Energy Wood (EW), a Celero Wood and an Arctic Wood...
All with Aurus 1.9 black FH and Aurus soft 1.7 red BH.

Actually, I had looked at the Celero Wood as my new blade... possibly for the next few years...
The Arctic Wood was more of an impulse buy.

And now, so at the beginning the Celero seems to be more similar to OCW, is to say it plays "softer" and becomes fast when you play with spin... The EW seems to be a little faster... Because the EW is unfortunately often too fast. I like the Celero already... the purchase will probably not be a mistake.

But there's the Arctic Wood.... and that's kind of an outlier in a surprisingly positive sense.
-Not as fast as the Infinity
-Immediate feeling of good control
-Good feedback
-and it is stiffer and more direct... than EW, Celero, OCW etc.
-You can also attack... as with the previous Tube Light!
-and yet also the positive impressions at the topspin...
-it seemed to me at the beginning like the jack of all trades
-playable in the short game for a "coarse motor skilled" like I am... (EW is too fast for me for this)
-Still a really good feedback.... you notice immediately that you have Stiga in your hand.
-and like with the Tube Light, you can also shoot dully.
-Unlike the yes very stiff Tube Light, the Arctic wood gives more detailed feedback (how to describe it? Maybe like this it is already understandable...)

So during the short test I was surprised by the fact that I had repeatedly resorted to Arctic wood... The racket makes the best impression in the first quick comparison.
[...]
Briefly summed up: If you are looking for a a little bit harder EW and don't want to have as much speed as with the Infinity, you might have found it with the Arctic Wood. Definitely.

Those who play the Saive Power and are looking for a successor will probably not be able to avoid testing the Arctic Wood.

If [you want a blade that] is not so direct and not quite so fast.... there is still Celero wood... though the Celero may be put away in the closet with my other blades at the beginning of the season, because the Arctic Wood has left such a really good first impression. (Hopefully at that price the manufacturing fluctuations are rather small.)
Join the Nexy Clan!
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2017 at 9:20pm
Does anyone have experience with Arctic Wood and Ebenholz V that could give a comparison?  TTGearLab is supposed to do a write up of Arctic Wood soon and TTDaily's site is being glitchy though it looks like some good info is on there if only I could get to it.

I imagine Arctic Wood will be slightly stiffer (6.0 vs 5.8), slightly softer (not many woods have a harder Janka than ebony), maybe less head heavy (no hollow handle?), and maybe Arctic Wood is a low OFF while Ebenholz V is a high OFF- (since Stiga always overrates their blades).  

I also suspect the feel/feedback will be nice like the Ebenholz V as stated in the German forum review above.

Any input is appreciated!

EDIT:  Well, I found the info that killed it for me, but still interested to hear what anyone has to say.

Edited by DLC1325 - 09/27/2017 at 9:30pm
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

[...]
I imagine Arctic Wood will be slightly stiffer (6.0 vs 5.8), slightly softer (not many woods have a harder Janka than ebony), maybe less head heavy (no hollow handle?), and maybe Arctic Wood is a low OFF while Ebenholz V is a high OFF- (since Stiga always overrates their blades).  

I also suspect the feel/feedback will be nice like the Ebenholz V as stated in the German forum review above.

EDIT:  Well, I found the info that killed it for me, but still interested to hear what anyone has to say.

I've never played with Ebenholz, so I cannot compare directly. However, Arctic Wood has a neutral balance (with 2.0 rubbers). The handle is likely a bit hollow, like most handles are, but not as hollow as WRB): anyway, the blade does not feel hollow to me and has quite some vibrations, which I like.

What was the killing factor?

Edit: typo

Edited by arg0 - 09/28/2017 at 4:53pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

What was the killing factor?

Maybe "killed" was a strong word because it still sounds like a great blade, but it seems to sit where I have similar blades which makes is pointless to get.  Also the Janka of "Mountain Ash" is similar to Koto and I already have a Koto blade.

It sure is pretty though!  (I'm a sucker for hardwoods)

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2017 at 6:02pm

Maybe "killed" was a strong word because it still sounds like a great blade, but it seems to sit where I have similar blades which makes is pointless to get.  Also the Janka of "Mountain Ash" is similar to Koto and I already have a Koto blade.

What blade with Koto outer do you think is similar? I may consider testing it.
Did you consider the whole composition of the blade (spruce intermediate plies and ayous core) and thickness?
Join the Nexy Clan!
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2017 at 11:18pm

Does anyone have experience with Arctic Wood and Ebenholz V that could give a comparison?  TTGearLab is supposed to do a write up of Arctic Wood soon and TTDaily's site is being glitchy though it looks like some good info is on there if only I could get to it.

but a fast blade is not always better
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:05pm

Did you consider the whole composition of the blade (spruce intermediate plies and ayous core) and thickness?

I have a Yinhe/Galaxy E-1 which has Koto outers, 5-ply.  I have no idea what the composition is and I will avoid that EJ rabbit hole.  I'm bad enough as it is and trying varying compositions will only make it worse.  Smile

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

but a fast blade is not always better

This is true and I didn't mean to imply I wanted a faster blade.  Just curios about the Arctic vs Ebenholz V.  Actually, I probably play the most consistently with the E-1 (ALL+/OFF-).
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 6:02pm

I have a Yinhe/Galaxy E-1 which has Koto outers, 5-ply.  I have no idea what the composition is and I will avoid that EJ rabbit hole.  I'm bad enough as it is and trying varying compositions will only make it worse.  Smile

That's a wise decision! LOL
Yinhe E-1 is a good blade. Let me point out, though, that it plays very differently from Arctic Wood, at least as far as I can remember.
ThSave
Join the Nexy Clan!
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 12:39pm

That's a wise decision! LOL
Yinhe E-1 is a good blade. Let me point out, though, that it plays very differently from Arctic Wood, at least as far as I can remember.
ThSave

I'm sure it plays differently than E-1 especially with the VPS plies.

I'm using Ebenholz V right now and its fine.  Arctic Wood just seems really cool. (pun intended Cool)

I'm still curios if anyone has played both Ebenholz V and Arctic Wood and can give a comparison--so one more bump.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 4:41am

no way intensity and clipper are the same speed

You mean Clipper is faster?

no.arg0 intensity is clearly faster stiff thinner but stiffer not friendly with all rubbers
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 12:10pm
Is anyone using the Artic Wood or any other Stiga blade with the aluminum name plate on the handle that is in relief? TTgear complained that these new name plates bothered him at his finger tips and had to make sure that it was in the forehand side. Anyone else encounter the same problem? It seems strange that Stiga would disrupt a straight handle with this kind of unnecessary ornamentation.

Edited by richrf - 10/13/2017 at 12:11pm
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Is anyone using the Artic Wood or any other Stiga blade with the aluminum name plate on the handle that is in relief? TTgear complained that these new name plates bothered him at his finger tips and had to make sure that it was in the forehand side. Anyone else encounter the same problem? It seems strange that Stiga would disrupt a straight handle with this kind of unnecessary ornamentation.

At one point I had the Eternity VPS with Master handle. While I definitely could feel the metal tag it didn't really bother me whether the tag was at my finger tips or my palm. YMMV.
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 6:03am
Glad the Infinity doesn't have the metal tag! 
I have the Celero and Eternity VPS with metal tag and I think it's very annoying. Really dislike it to be honest. It looks great, but I don't like the feel of it.

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 9:22am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

I have the Celero and Eternity VPS with metal tag and I think it's very annoying. Really dislike it to be honest. It looks great, but I don't like the feel of it.

Isn't it incredible how a company in business as long as Stiga has can mess up on a detail like this? It's almost like they have a death wish. Their website is also lacking in many ways. Sometimes it's the little things that make big differences.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 11:47am
If you care about one more data point, the metal tag looks cool (pun intended) and does not bother me at all.
Join the Nexy Clan!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 11:54am

If you care about one more data point, the metal tag looks cool (pun intended) and does not bother me at all.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't get a hold of one to try out, so it's not worth taking a chance. But I wonder why would they even take a chance with such a design? A finely honed handle interrupted by a label in relief?? To me, it is just a very strange marketing/design decision. I was about to pull the trigger on TT11 but decided not to after reading the review on TTGear.

Edited by richrf - 10/14/2017 at 11:55am
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

how fast and stiff is the celero compared to clipper?
stancuzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stancuzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 1:15pm
Clipper is definitely stiffer and faster. I play Celero presently and I'd say it remeinds me of AR Classic Carbon, just a bit faster.
It's still a good blade that gives you nice and clear feel while playing.
Cheers, Stan
Halon X View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halon X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2017 at 2:48am
Hi,

Is Artic Wood comparable to Nittaku Violin/Acoustic? if not what is the difference or similarity if any?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 7:04pm
To some extent, Arctic Wood feels like a crisper and faster violin.
Speed is similar to acoustic, faster than violin.
Feel is crisp and rather hard, more like violin than acoustic.
Balance is center, similar to violin.
ST handle size is similar to violin and acoustic LG (large handle).
Join the Nexy Clan!
Halon X View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halon X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 8:16pm

Thanks arg0 :) can you also compare AW to NAC Inner LG? I'm planning to get NA LG or NAC Inner LG to complement with my AW

Edited by Halon X - 12/29/2017 at 8:17pm
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Halon X Halon X wrote:

Thanks arg0 :) can you also compare AW to NAC Inner LG? I'm planning to get NA LG or NAC Inner LG to complement with my AW

Unfortunately not. Even the comparison with regular Acoustic only comes from distant memories... AW does not feel or sound at all like a carbon blade, so I assume that it will be very different than NAC, even if it's the Inner version.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Halon X View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halon X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2017 at 6:21pm

Originally posted by Halon X Halon X wrote:

Unfortunately not. Even the comparison with regular Acoustic only comes from distant memories... AW does not feel or sound at all like a carbon blade, so I assume that it will be very different than NAC, even if it's the Inner version.
Thanks for the reply arg0 :)

Edited by Halon X - 12/30/2017 at 6:21pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 8:49pm

no way intensity and clipper are the same speed

You mean Clipper is faster?

intensity is faster more solid like a slab of steel
Jak View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 8:07am
Has anyone tried this blade? I'm planning to stepping down from Viscaria because of control issue. I want a 5ply blade that is off/off- and still good looping as Viscaria and 83-85g. How is Artic wood compared to Korbel, Virtouso, acoustic, and rest of the 5 ply. Don't know what to choose.

I have read that Artic wood is quite stiff? I really don't want it to be super stiff, need some flex.

Edited by Jak - 02/12/2018 at 8:09am
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Jak Jak wrote:

Has anyone tried this blade? I'm planning to stepping down from Viscaria because of control issue. I want a 5ply blade that is off/off- and still good looping as Viscaria and 83-85g. How is Artic wood compared to Korbel, Virtouso, acoustic, and rest of the 5 ply. Don't know what to choose.

I have read that Artic wood is quite stiff? I really don't want it to be super stiff, need some flex.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic