tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

U S Nationals 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 12:16pm
Also - no US Hardbat championship this year? WTH?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,
I watched the women's and men's final live streaming.  My experience was that the production quality was lower than last year.  Several times the stream broke up badly.  In addition, it seemed they didn't spec out the lighting requirements for live streaming; at times there were many shadows, almost like a horror movie with darkness and mysterious bodies moving about.  Some angles of view were not consistently lit.

I hope someone can watch the Tennis Channel this afternoon (3-5pm eastern) and report what it all looks like on TV. It seems the production was completely geared toward that broadcast rather than the livestream. In any case, there were many awkward moments which suggested confusion and bad planning (by the producers, not USATT) - Prachi Jha being cut off and generally disoriented, the commentators talking over the women's winner interview, etc. Maybe they've fixed some of this in the editing for TV.

Too bad indeed the matches weren't closer. Lily got very lucky with nets and edges (about 10-1 over the whole match), and Nikhil unfortunately couldn't win game 2.
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

There is a hardbat men's singles event listed, with players. But  i don't see any results.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

There is a hardbat men's singles event listed, with players. But  i don't see any results.

Happening today.
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Happening today.

Totally missed that. Watched the finals last night, in my mind finals=end of tournament.
qpskfec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 3:55pm

Hi,
I watched the women's and men's final live streaming.  My experience was that the production quality was lower than last year.  Several times the stream broke up badly.  In addition, it seemed they didn't spec out the lighting requirements for live streaming; at times there were many shadows, almost like a horror movie with darkness and mysterious bodies moving about.  Some angles of view were not consistently lit.

I hope someone can watch the Tennis Channel this afternoon (3-5pm eastern) and report what it all looks like on TV. It seems the production was completely geared toward that broadcast rather than the livestream. In any case, there were many awkward moments which suggested confusion and bad planning (by the producers, not USATT) - Prachi Jha being cut off and generally disoriented, the commentators talking over the women's winner interview, etc. Maybe they've fixed some of this in the editing for TV.

Too bad indeed the matches weren't closer. Lily got very lucky with nets and edges (about 10-1 over the whole match), and Nikhil unfortunately couldn't win game 2.

It looks just as crappy on TV as it did on the live stream last night.

The lighting is terrible for video. The players faces are very dark. This is not the way to promote tt.

If I was a sponsor, I would be very annoyed that my sponsorship logos are not very visible. I would tell Gordy that the lighting is not acceptable and future sponsorship requires changes.

If you want to light the playing area and keep the audience dark, it can be done. They need to talk to the people who put on the World Championship of Ping Pong sandpaper event and find out how they set up their lighting and cameras.

USATT may not have the $$$ to do it this way. If not, they should ditch the light/dark idea completely.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Hi,

The lighting is terrible for video. The players faces are very dark. This is not the way to promote tt.

If I was a sponsor, I would be very annoyed that my sponsorship logos are not very visible. I would tell Gordy that the lighting is not acceptable and future sponsorship requires changes.

If you want to light the playing area and keep the audience dark, it can be done. They need to talk to the people who put on the World Championship of Ping Pong sandpaper event and find out how they set up their lighting and cameras.

USATT may not have the $$$ to do it this way. If not, they should ditch the light/dark idea completely.

This is the USA. It's just ping pong.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 5:33pm
I agree, the lighting was poor.  It could be they were trying to create a nightclub atmosphere, which I think would be a mistake. 

Overall I thought the tournament ran well. 

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 7:40pm

Happening today.

Totally missed that. Watched the finals last night, in my mind finals=end of tournament.

Last night was just warm-up, all the important events are today. Wink

The hardbat final should be happening right now on table 1. Unfortunately there's no stream for table 1 today.

Michael Tran and Rachel Sung won the cadet finals over Nikhil Kumar and Amy Wang. The current level in cadets, both boys and girls, is really impressive. (And Rachel is still a mini-cadet!)

Edited by amateur - 07/08/2017 at 7:42pm
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Hi,

I agree with everything stated above. It looked awful.
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 10:15am
Odd, still no results posted for the Hardbat Men's Singles.

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 11:57am

It looks like any event that started on Saturday or was to conclude on Saturday doesn't have results posted.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 12:24pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone!!! I do appreciate it. I watched on Tennis Chanel and live - and agree that the live lighting, which was actually very good, did not translate as well as we anticipated, on camera. As with so many things we do - we will improve for the US Open and events beyond.
JOOLA Aruna OFF / T-05 / RHZYM TECH
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

It looks like any event that started on Saturday or was to conclude on Saturday doesn't have results posted.

Results are now posted.

2017 hardbat champion is... Sharon Alguetti.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 2:08am

Results are now posted.

Not all the event results are posted. The Adult team event results are not posted
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!! I do appreciate it. I watched on Tennis Chanel and live - and agree that the live lighting, which was actually very good, did not translate as well as we anticipated, on camera. As with so many things we do - we will improve for the US Open and events beyond.

Gordon, could you tell us -- what is exactly the reason for that strange lighting? is there any actual benefit that players, spectators and TV/Internet audience are getting from this? how is it better than the usual good lighting etc. ?

I am sure there is some explanation... it's just we (people who weren't there) don't know what it is.

Thank you!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 1:57pm

Results are now posted.

The fact that a high level sponge player who devotes little to no time practicing hardbat won (for the second time I believe), is a pretty strong statement against those who preach that it is a more difficult or more technical game. 
qpskfec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 4:27pm

Gordon, could you tell us -- what is exactly the reason for that strange lighting? is there any actual benefit that players, spectators and TV/Internet audience are getting from this? how is it better than the usual good lighting etc. ?

I am sure there is some explanation... it's just we (people who weren't there) don't know what it is.

Thank you!

Not speaking for Gordy, but here is why the LA Lakers do this.

A few years ago the Lakers decided to dim the lights on the spectators, so the basketball court was well lit, but the spectators were not.

They liked the results, so they kept doing it. They felt that the game was more of a spectacle centered on the players because your eyes naturally go to the brightest objects. Keep focus on the stars of the show. I expect this the same reason World Championship of Ping Pong does the same.

BTW, I appreciate and encourage Gordy and crew to continue trying new things. Some work, some don't. Gotta try.
PingPongPom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 11:00pm
I can tell you now that Gordon spent time with all of the players during their warmups on the final court to ensure that the lighting was in adequate condition for the players.

The lighting levels were above standard and the players were all satisfied that the lighting was of a good level. I wasn't able to watch the Tennis Channel replay as yet or the stream apart from some spots, will take a look tomorrow.
http://mhtabletennis.com
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by PingPongPom PingPongPom wrote:

I can tell you now that Gordon spent time with all of the players during their warmups on the final court to ensure that the lighting was in adequate condition for the players.

The lighting levels were above standard and the players were all satisfied that the lighting was of a good level. I wasn't able to watch the Tennis Channel replay as yet or the stream apart from some spots, will take a look tomorrow.

From a spectator perspective there were lots of shadows on the playing court. I think it is because the light was coming from directly overhead only, so when a player crouched over to return serve their face vanished in the shadows. Having the spectators dark is probably fine.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2017 at 6:55pm
Has the USATT listed, in a simple format, the players selected at the Nationals for the various national teams?  I looked around some and didn't find a synopsis.   

Thanks
Donn
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 2:41am
Donn - we will be posting a special congratulations article this week.

As
Tomother questions you guys have - I will get back to you tomorrow!!!
JOOLA Aruna OFF / T-05 / RHZYM TECH
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 7:44am
Thanks Gordy...............
Donn
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 1:18pm

Results are now posted.

Not all the event results are posted. The Adult team event results are not posted
All the results are posted for the U.S. Nationals now.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 1:25pm

Donn - we will be posting a special congratulations article this week.

As
Tomother questions you guys have - I will get back to you tomorrow!!!

Nice article. I would've made the title "Kanak, Kanak - Who's there? - The last 2 National champions"
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 1:44pm

If you are referring to a video of the Finals match, I hope to have that posted in a few days.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

Mr. Turberville, a national champion, yet again.

:)

Thanks.  We've come in second to Dan and Patty twice before.  Nice to finally get the win.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Heartiest congratulations to Jay Turberville, a national champion (what event?) and hardbat legend for our own time.

I see on the USATT Nationals results page that you and Johnstone won the Men's Hardbat Doubles, and that you finished second to Larry Hodges in O-40 Hardbat Singles.  Not bad, Fountain Hills' most eminent table tennis player ever, not bad.

Thanks.  Had a nice win to get to face Larry, (beat my doubles partner), but was outplayed in the Final.  Maybe next time ...

Edited by wturber - 07/13/2017 at 2:43pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Heartiest congratulations to Jay Turberville, a national champion (what event?) and hardbat legend for our own time.

I see on the USATT Nationals results page that you and Johnstone won the Men's Hardbat Doubles, and that you finished second to Larry Hodges in O-40 Hardbat Singles.  Not bad, Fountain Hills' most eminent table tennis player ever, not bad.

Thanks.  Had a nice win to get to face Larry, (beat my doubles parnter), but was outplayed in the Final.  Maybe next time ...
Congrats Jay. How did the other MyTT members do results wise?
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 2:26pm

Hi,

Nothing appeared to have been fixed for TV broadcast. The filming and camera shot calling for the actual competition was pretty good. Prachi is currently not skilled enough to pull off what they asked of her.  Unfortunately, her commentary came off mostly as unpolished and not very professional.  Doing commentary like that is, I think, harder than it looks.  You need experience and practice.  

Sean and his partner announcer did much better though his partner really botched the intro to the Men's Final.  I was shocked that nobody fixed that prior to broadcast on Tennis Channel.  

The USATT "commercials", and instructional videos ranged from being very unprofessional (low audio on one channel only!! Background noise/hum that could have been removed or reduced in post.  Horrible color correction that resulted in yellow skin tones) to somewhat unprofessional.  None of it was particularly well produced.  That said, some of the TT tennis promo spots delivered good messaging IMO.

Kudos to USATT for getting on the Tennis Channel and having the actual competition look pretty good.  Nice camera angles.  Nice slo-mo replay.  Decent commentating.  But they did themselves no favors with much of the the other stuff.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic