tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

U S Nationals 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!! I do appreciate it. I watched on Tennis Chanel and live - and agree that the live lighting, which was actually very good, did not translate as well as we anticipated, on camera. As with so many things we do - we will improve for the US Open and events beyond.

Gordon, could you tell us -- what is exactly the reason for that strange lighting? is there any actual benefit that players, spectators and TV/Internet audience are getting from this? how is it better than the usual good lighting etc. ?

I am sure there is some explanation... it's just we (people who weren't there) don't know what it is.

Thank you!

These things are not only a matter of lighting, but also a matter of  camera adjustments.  Note how much flatter the lighting looked on the net camera?  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Odd, still no results posted for the Hardbat Men's Singles.

It looks like any event that started on Saturday or was to conclude on Saturday doesn't have results posted.

Results are now posted.

2017 hardbat champion is... Sharon Alguetti.

The fact that a high level sponge player who devotes little to no time practicing hardbat won (for the second time I believe), is a pretty strong statement against those who preach that it is a more difficult or more technical game. 

That's a pretty incomplete analysis.  The match was quite close with the fifth game (21 point games) decided in deuce. The second place player was, I think, over 70 years old.  Sharon is a very fit and athletic young man by comparison. IMO, he makes up for what he lacks in hardbat touch and experience with his athleticism and very high level movement. Many skills in modern table tennis translate quite well to hardbat. The best hardbat player in the U.S., Jimmy Butler, is also an excellent sponge player having won the U.S. Nationals Mens Singles Championship when past the age of 40.

I don't recall  many players claiming that hardbat is more technical.  In fact, I think most argue the opposite, that modern inverted sponge play is too technical and therefore hard for spectators to understand and appreciate.  I think the hardbat argument tends to be that hardbat promotes an all-round game that is easier for the average person to understand.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Odd, still no results posted for the Hardbat Men's Singles.

It looks like any event that started on Saturday or was to conclude on Saturday doesn't have results posted.

Results are now posted.

2017 hardbat champion is... Sharon Alguetti.

The fact that a high level sponge player who devotes little to no time practicing hardbat won (for the second time I believe), is a pretty strong statement against those who preach that it is a more difficult or more technical game. 

That's a pretty incomplete analysis.  The match was quite close with the fifth game (21 point games) decided in deuce. The second place player was, I think, over 70 years old.  Sharon is a very fit and athletic young man by comparison. IMO, he makes up for what he lacks in hardbat touch and experience with his athleticism and very high level movement. Many skills in modern table tennis translate quite well to hardbat. The best hardbat player in the U.S., Jimmy Butler, is also an excellent sponge player having won the U.S. Nationals Mens Singles Championship when past the age of 40.

I don't recall  many players claiming that hardbat is more technical.  In fact, I think most argue the opposite, that modern inverted sponge play is too technical and therefore hard for spectators to understand and appreciate.  I think the hardbat argument tends to be that hardbat promotes an all-round game that is easier for the average person to understand.

Jay is, as usual, just about spot on.  The finalist in the Hardbat Open Singles event was Bin Hai Chu, a classic style penholder somewhere in his sixties.  Having seen him personally at the 2015 Nationals, I can attest that he is a very dangerous hardbat player.

And Jimmy Butler, who defeated the ageless Reisman in a money match at the 1998 U.S. Open, plays a really mean hardbat.  Though his technique is unlike Johnny Leach's was, he puts me in mind of Leach as he can attack and defend and has some brutal serves (definitely more brutal than were Leach's) to go with his deadly backhand.

As for modern inverted sponge play, ask your typical American non-tt player or recroom king how today's game is played, and if he or she knows about it at all, chances are they'll say that the Chinese play at breakneck speed far from the table using lots of "English".  And then they'll switch channels and order another Bud Light.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

The finalist in the Hardbat Open Singles event was Bin Hai Chu, a classic style penholder somewhere in his sixties.  Having seen him personally at the 2015 Nationals, I can attest that he is a very dangerous hardbat player.

I guess I mis-remembered.  Bin won the Mens 65+, so he must still be younger than 70.

Sharon, OTOH, came in second in the Juniors.  We have an age difference here of around fifty years.  I'd think you'd want to factor in all significant aspects of players when making these kinds of comparisons.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 4:00pm
Bin Hai Chu, presumably in his sixties or very late fifties, was the 2014 and 2015 National Hardbat Singles champion.  He was also the 2012 and 2015 North American Hardbat Singles champion.

The only player who won a National Championship in an Open event that I can think of who was older than Bin Hai Chu was Marty Reisman, who at age 67 won the National Hardbat Singles championship.

In 1952 Reisman won the World Consolation Singles Championship. Can you guess who was the World Singles Champion that year? A hint: he did not use a hardbat.

Age does make a difference, though in hardbat/hardbat play skill and experience are still important.  In 2009 the 73 year old Wayne Obertone was the Bin Hai Chu of the ill-fated Bud Light hardbat competition, losing to a young Englishman Jack Baker roughly fifty years his junior in the finals.

Edited by berndt_mann - 07/14/2017 at 4:13pm
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Bin Hai Chu, presumably in his sixties or very late fifties,
He turned 65 on April 11. He was born in 1952, the year Satoh won with sponge and Reisman won Consolation. 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 07/14/2017 at 10:05pm
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 2:15pm
I finally got this posted.  Sorry for the delay for those who were waiting.

2017 US Nationals Hardbat Singles Final

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic