FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tortured by angles, placement, misdirection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 1:39am
That is a difficult match-up for Pushblocker.  Rich plays very flat.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Just curious: has Rich ever played Pushblocker?
They have played twice against each other in tournaments. 2015 Rich won both matches 3-1 and 3-0.
Keep in mind those two matches were practice or challenge matches in the setting of a tournament.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 9:47am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

They have played twice against each other in tournaments. 2015 Rich won both matches 3-1 and 3-0.

Keep in mind those two matches were practice or challenge matches in the setting of a tournament.
The two matches were at a Westchester tournament and the events were over 40 and 2200 singles.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 10:33am

The two matches were at a Westchester tournament and the events were over 40 and 2200 singles.
You are correct, my mistake. I forgot about those two. I was thinking of the side table matches once at the Cary Cup and once at the Teams. I believe those 2 were also 3-0, 3-1 to Rich. 

Edited by heavyspin - 06/09/2017 at 10:52am
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 12:22pm
I have played both Larry and Rich multiple times - and I must say that both are formidable opponents even if they are not in the best shape. Neither am I nowadays but that's a different "out-of-shapeness" so to speak.

I played Rich about 7-8 times at the tournaments and 2-3 times was very close to winning - as in leading 2-1 and 10-8, or having a matchpoint at deuce. However I only beat him once - that was this weird (for me) recent tournament in RI where Rich beat everybody else and I played all my other important matches with a wrong paddle (it was not me, it was setup I tells ya!)...

With Rich you either need to run a lot and try to hit fast into his body or you play very spinny to force mistakes. He is very used to play very flat and sometimes misses the table when his return still has too much rotation so it doesn't go where he expects. Rich is an extremely experienced player and he can adjust and re-adjust his game very fast. Well, within some margins - he doesn't really start playing a very different game but he certainly changes his attitude as well as rhythm and angles etc.

With Larry there was not a lot of wins - I think I only beat him couple of times in club league, and lost at least 6-7 times in tournaments.  So our balance is also significantly skewed into his favor, although it is often kinda easier for me to have a plan for a game against him than with Rich. However properly executing that plan is not easy - Larry usually plays very spinny game and his balls are often unexpectedly bouncy and fast. Playing my moderately allround offensive style with Larry almost always turns out to be a mistake - only when I am in a really good shape I was able to win the match.

Also don't believe him when he starts panting and showing the entire world that he is oh so tired. That's a trick, don't fall for it! Big smile
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 2:41pm

A recent match of mine vs Rich DeWitt which was played just after I had an exhausting win over a quality opponent. I had no gameplan despite having played Rich about 100 times.

Highlights with slow motion replays.

Hi Heavyspin

It seems like you need to:
  1. Reset faster after hitting the ball.
  2. Play shots that don't give him an angle.
  3. Really work on anticipating where the ball is mostly likely to come back.
  4. Stay 1/2 - 1 step closer to the table.
-#1  Speaks for itself, you'll be more ready to move to the next ball if you're completely recovered from the last ball.
-#2  If you hit your shots long and play the middle, he can't make much of an angle.  Careful! That allows him to go left or right, so be ready.
-#3  This is important!  If you hit wide to his forehand, the ball is more likely to come back wide to your forehand.  The most common shot is using the angle that's already created.  I noticed you weren't moving with the shots you were hitting.
-#4  This will shorten the gap you have to cover if your opponent gets an angle on you.

Edited by Swiff - 06/09/2017 at 2:41pm
mwechsler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwechsler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 12:26am
I have had a few wins against Rich in tournaments. He does not win with power. I use short pips on my backhand and can counter against his dead shots. Also my own misdirection was an issue for him as his own anticipation is a big factor in his success.
Marius
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic