Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is my Blade good or nah?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PreBuck View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PreBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is my Blade good or nah?
    Posted: 05/07/2017 at 7:07am
I have a Donic Desto plus F1 2.00mm FH/ Tibhar Nimbus BH 1.8mm and a Tibhar IVL-L Balsa Bat. Im playing for like 2 years. Should i buy a new one or is the blade good for looping/ topsin?
Sponsored Links

Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 8:41am
You can make anything work but while balsa has the advantage on being light it has very low dwell time. 
I had a balsa bat and used it mainly for short pips.
I think you'd be better off with a 5-7 ply wood. 

Edited by Re1Mu2R3 - 05/07/2017 at 8:42am
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

You can make anything work but while balsa has the advantage on being light it has very low dwell time.
This is the kind of gobbledygook that makes me want to reopen the whole Pandora's box of "dwell time" yet again. For a start, all serious work done on dwell time conclusively shows that contact between bat and ball takes place in single figure milliseconds; that is, too damn short to make any appreciable difference. Secondly, any so-called dwell time is going to be affected far more by the rubber than the blade. Thirdly and finally, balsa is the softest core material used, which would imply longer "dwell time" not shorter.

I'm perfectly happy for you to argue that balsa blades don't make good looping blades, but don't use mythical dwell time as your reason.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 9:52am
It's listed as an allround blade so it should be fine.
PreBuck View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PreBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 10:41am
So should I stay on my Bat?
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

This is the kind of gobbledygook that makes me want to reopen the whole Pandora's box of "dwell time" yet again. For a start, all serious work done on dwell time conclusively shows that contact between bat and ball takes place in single figure milliseconds; that is, too damn short to make any appreciable difference. Secondly, any so-called dwell time is going to be affected far more by the rubber than the blade. Thirdly and finally, balsa is the softest core material used, which would imply longer "dwell time" not shorter.

I'm perfectly happy for you to argue that balsa blades don't make good looping blades, but don't use mythical dwell time as your reason.

You're 'dwelling' on this too much. WinkWinkWink
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 11:05am
Originally posted by PreBuck PreBuck wrote:

So should I stay on my Bat?

Use a 7-ply. The ones heavier than 90g.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 4:32pm
Get a Korbel or a Donic Appelgren Allplay.  Those blades will take you through hundreds of rating points of improvement as you play more.  And they will allow you to develop good spin technique.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Get a Korbel or a Donic Appelgren Allplay.  Those blades will take you through hundreds of rating points of improvement as you play more.  And they will allow you to develop good spin technique.

I think that Korbel and Allplay are quite different.  Korbel is much stiffer compared to Allplay.  But of course, compared to carbon blades, Korbel is not considered stiff.

In addition, Korbel is much faster than Allplay

Edited by doraemon - 05/08/2017 at 8:14pm
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 12:22am
Yes. That is true. But both are examples of good all-wood blades that can take a devloping playsr a long way.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 4:53am
new korbels are much stiffer then old ones and he needs good technique to use it. Old flexy korbel he will hardly find. So I don't recommend korbel. Primorac off- is usualy good blade for beginning looping game style. But also any other game style.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 5:12am
Hmmm!
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 10:16am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

new korbels are much stiffer then old ones and he needs good technique to use it. Old flexy korbel he will hardly find. So I don't recommend korbel. Primorac off- is usualy good blade for beginning looping game style. But also any other game style.

I actually haven't hit with a Korbel in a few years, so I will take your word for it that they have changed them. The Primorac Off- would also be something different from the balsa he has now, better for standard offensive spin game,  and would help him develop.  That would work just as well.  It is another perfect example of the general trend I am suggesting, as opposed to the balsa.  There are a lot of different blades with that type of construction that would work and that won't be too expensive.  I suggested two, could have suggested 20.  I am a big fan of the Appelgren for people learning how to play effective looping game.  My main point is that balsa would not something I would suggest for a shakehand player who wants to use inverted rubbers on both sides.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2017 at 3:07pm
good rubbers...i don't care for the blade....try to find another blade...
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic