FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

karis h is out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

Thanks ILya for sharing your impressions.
Anyone else had a chance to play with Karis H?

You are welcome, Victor.

Are you playing with one of the Karis rubbers?  When I tried Karis M, I thought it would be right up your alley.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 2:06am
I had a couple hours with Karis H on a Tibhar Samsonov CB I got from DreiZ recently.

MAN... I can really see why Elite Korean amature sponsored player from Nexy Korea in their vid loves this rubber. It can really move out on a fast/stiff blade. Power topspin in its simplest form of no frills minimalist overpower.

If you have a real bang impact on FH, you will be crushing the ball through your opponent.

Players were asking for a much faster version of Karis... they got it with Karis H. This rubber will make you thirsty. The top end on this is easily faster than M+... by a country mile... with a boatload of topspin.

You gotta have a looser hand on your softer shots to get good control with H, but who wants to play soft with a weapon like this?

Still, all my strokes adjusted to Karis M and M+... the improved touch those rubbers gave me with reasonable all wood blades like KJH and Lissom... gunna be hard to unseat my FH rubber choice there. Maybe I can tame it too, but M and M= were right up my alley.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I had a couple hours with Karis H on a Tibhar Samsonov CB I got from DreiZ recently.

MAN... I can really see why Elite Korean amature sponsored player from Nexy Korea in their vid loves this rubber. It can really move out on a fast/stiff blade. Power topspin in its simplest form of no frills minimalist overpower.

If you have a real bang impact on FH, you will be crushing the ball through your opponent.

Players were asking for a much faster version of Karis... they got it with Karis H. This rubber will make you thirsty. The top end on this is easily faster than M+... by a country mile... with a boatload of topspin.

You gotta have a looser hand on your softer shots to get good control with H, but who wants to play soft with a weapon like this?

Still, all my strokes adjusted to Karis M and M+... the improved touch those rubbers gave me with reasonable all wood blades like KJH and Lissom... gunna be hard to unseat my FH rubber choice there. Maybe I can tame it too, but M and M= were right up my alley.

It is faster, but it is far from uncontrollable.

That topsheet is pretty special and I really like how it works with a harder sponge.  For me, it is a choice between H and M+.

In your experience, is there a significant difference between red and black topsheets?

I have a red M, black M+ and black H, so I am not sure how much of the difference I am seeing comes from the sponge and how much from the topsheet.

Thanks
ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 9:22pm
The customers collective seem to be in love with black, maybe it is magical. It sells 3x more than anything.

I play both colors, I like them both.

I will have to try Karis H on my Allround-ish Lissom. The pre-production version of the M+ on that blade has a good top end.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Thanks ILya for sharing your impressions.
Anyone else had a chance to play with Karis H?

You are welcome, Victor.

Are you playing with one of the Karis rubbers?  When I tried Karis M, I thought it would be right up your alley.

ILya

Yes, I've been playing wiht Karis M on both sides (on Nexy Calix II) for the past 6 months, and like the rubber quite a bit. 
< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 5:33pm
Do you feel there is any difference between red and black topsheets?
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 5:52pm

I haven't noticed any difference, but it doesn't mean there isn't - It just never occurred to me to test for that :)   I will try to do it next time I play.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 6:17pm
I like black better on Karis M. Slightly.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I like black better on Karis M. Slightly.

Why?
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2017 at 9:11pm
I think the coming generation of ESN rubbers are in a good position to overtake Tenergy, definitely amongst amateurs and upcoming pros. Butterfly has its work cut out for it.

I will get a sheet of Karis H to test but it is quite likely I will be using R47 or Aurus Prime in the not too distant future. IMO, Karis fans will like the new generation of ESN rubbers.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2017 at 4:16am
Yeah we now just need a flood of stock. It seems that R47 is facing some sort of worldwide shortage!
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 3:09pm
I had another practice with Karis H and Nittaku Hammond Power.

Hammond Power is a nice rubber, but lack of stability on blocks, hits and big loops is bothering me a little. It is awesome for slow controlled loops though.  I think I am going to wrap up with it.

Karis H I still like quite a bit, but with my blade it is a little too hard overall when combined with my Mazunov blade and its hard outer plies.  I do like it on the BH.  I think this topsheet just agrees with my backhand, since I like all three version of Karis on the BH.

I still have three sheets of MX-S left, so that goes back onto my FH.  I will rotate through different version of Karis on my BH and see which one I decide to stick with.  For now, I think I like M+ the most. 

In principle, I should probably try Karis H on a slightly softer blade, but I do not feel like experimenting with blades again.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:35pm
ILya, I am nowadays playing with MX-S on my backhand and I am interested in how the three Karis would be compared on that side against the MX-S in terms of speed and spin. I am particularly interested in the banana flick and the backhand loop near the table.
I know you are playing with MX-S on your forehand, but may be you have tried it on your backhand before.
Thanks.

Edited by Makelele - 06/09/2017 at 4:38pm
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2017 at 1:41pm

I haven't noticed any difference, but it doesn't mean there isn't - It just never occurred to me to test for that :)   I will try to do it next time I play.

I tried (for about 30 minutes) to play with red and black Karis M alternating between BH and FH.   I think (it might be in my head though, lol) that I noticed a minor difference between the black and red, with black playing a little "crispier" than red, but in general, I find the playing characteristic very similar so switching between red and black is rather seamless, and it doesn't require any noticeable adjustments for me.

I also had one practice session with Karis H black on FH, but since I tend to be slow evaluating equipment, I'll need to play few more times, and against few different styles before I express my opinion.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2017 at 4:39pm
By the way, I tried Rasanter R47 today. Didn't like it. I will stick with Karis M.

I did 't really give it much time. So I shouldn't write a review. I used it jus enough to decide I preferred what I've been using and I gave my R47 sheets to a clubmate.

My black sheet of Karis M is a little faster than the red one.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2017 at 5:14pm

By the way, I tried Rasanter R47 today. Didn't like it. I will stick with Karis M.

I did 't really give it much time. So I shouldn't write a review. I used it jus enough to decide I preferred what I've been using and I gave my R47 sheets to a clubmate.

I want to be baal's clubmate!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2017 at 6:11pm

That's pretty interesting. I do think that R47 is a spinnier version of M+.
Cybershape Carbon
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

For me, the R47 was significantly faster than then M+ with less control and a different curve.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

For me, the R47 was significantly faster than then M+ with less control and a different curve.

I find it interesting that people focus on the speed but not on the linearity. The problem I had with Tenergy was that I would do nothing and the rubber would do something.   I don't get that feeling with R47. The arc ia higher as the rubber is more spin sensitive, but there is a dead feeling for me when I do nothing that is miles away from MX-P, T05 etc. I gave it to a Tenergy user and he couldn't stand it.
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 3:24am
Tried H on a friend's Jang Jike ALC, much more controllable on the ALC over the CB carbon, was what I expected, a more powerful version of Karis on high end, but surprisingly still good on openers and serves. On the CB it made you want to crack everything, not a good idea, interestingly enough, I had a good match with that setup midweek reaching 9-9 in 5th to lose vs much better opponent, won majority on my points on touch shots, not power finishes... go figure.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 3:35am

Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

I find it interesting that people focus on the speed but not on the linearity. The problem I had with Tenergy was that I would do nothing and the rubber would do something.   I don't get that feeling with R47. The arc ia higher as the rubber is more spin sensitive, but there is a dead feeling for me when I do nothing that is miles away from MX-P, T05 etc. I gave it to a Tenergy user and he couldn't stand it.

NL, do you think R47 is closer to how Xiom Vega Pro plays, as in pretty dead on the lower gears?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 8:37am
R47 felt like it might be a little spinnier and it has some of the good linear properties of Karis. I just liked the feel of Karis better. What really surprised me is that Karis was faster on a Viscaria.Closezt thing I have tried compared to R47 is ELS.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 9:19am
FWIW: I found R47 very different from EL-S: With EL-S, if you hit harder, the throw becomes very low. R47 maintains its throw on harder hits (similar to MX-P) and is easier to spin with than other 47 deg rubbers (because of the thinner topsheet).

R47 and R42 are excellent for BH for me.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 9:43am
It is probably better to listen to slevin's comments on this compared to mine. He has probably spent more time with both rubbers than I have.  All I can say is that I was expecting something quite different with R47 and I was not very analytical about my reasons for not liking it.  Maybe I would like the V version better?  Not going to spend money to find out.  They were selling R47 at a nicely discounted price at WTTC and it was an impulse buy.  I tend to make my judgments on rubbers pretty quickly.  Mostly the stuff I stick with for years are things I liked right away.  I liked Karis right away.  Tenergy 64 also, and after that I liked Tenergy 05 right away and stayed with it for 8 years.  Same with my blade.  I am back to the Viscaria I have been using for many years.

Karis H is interesting to me though, but I preferred M to M+, even though in general I prefer harder rubbers. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

NL, do you think R47 is closer to how Xiom Vega Pro plays, as in pretty dead on the lower gears?

Amazingly, I have never used Vega Pro.
Cybershape Carbon
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 6:30pm

I tried (for about 30 minutes) to play with red and black Karis M alternating between BH and FH.   I think (it might be in my head though, lol) that I noticed a minor difference between the black and red, with black playing a little "crispier" than red, but in general, I find the playing characteristic very similar so switching between red and black is rather seamless, and it doesn't require any noticeable adjustments for me.

I also had one practice session with Karis H black on FH, but since I tend to be slow evaluating equipment, I'll need to play few more times, and against few different styles before I express my opinion.

Thanks, Victor.

This is similar to my impressions.  I think the black sheet serves a little better, but for the rest of it, they are pretty close.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

ILya, I am nowadays playing with MX-S on my backhand and I am interested in how the three Karis would be compared on that side against the MX-S in terms of speed and spin. I am particularly interested in the banana flick and the backhand loop near the table.
I know you are playing with MX-S on your forehand, but may be you have tried it on your backhand before.
Thanks.

I have tried MX-S on the BH and if my Karis experiments do not work out, I will go back to using it on both sides of the table.

I like Karis a little more for banana flick and short game in general.  Karis is less sensitive to incoming spin, so while I can make a little more spin with MX-S, I have to be more precise with it.  Karis is more forgiving, so I can go for my shots a little more and place them a little better.

Opening loop off of a deep push is better with MX-S.  It is a little grippier and lifts the ball with a little more ease.

Blocks are better with Karis.  Generally, passive play is much better with Karis.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 2:05pm
Thanks ILya.
Keep us updated with your experiments with Karis in your EJ's cycle of the year!Wink

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 6:48pm
I think my EJ cycle is coming to a close.

I tried the Karis H on my old Stiga Allround that hails back from mid-70s yesterday and it was spectacular.  

As a matter of background: I was using an old Stiga Allround Bengtsson in some form or another for five or six years prior to switching to Mazunov a few months ago.  I played with the Mazunov back in the 38mm days and since the plastic ball has a harder feel, I though I'd give it a try.  

Karis H did not distinguish itself on the Mazunov, but it is superb on the old Sitga.  With the stiff Mazunov, the hard sponge of the Karis H was a bit too much.  I suspect it would work well for a better player than me, but I do not quite have the touch.

Now, the more felxible Allround was perfect with the Karis H.  For drop shots, pushes and blocks, I get the crisp contact I like.  However, for spinny openers (this is where I had a hard time with Karis H on a Mazunov), I can use the flex of the blade to get a little more dwell time.  There is also extra dwell time on bigger loops, which requires slightly different timing (ball release is different), but works well enough for me.  

Really, the biggest difference was with sower loops especially trying to attack half-long serves or serve returns.  With Karis H on a flexible blade, carefully spinning the return onto the table was very natural and I could place the ball deep on the table.

I mostly used it on the FH.  I did flip onto the BH briefly to try and my overall impressions are similar.

Now, I think I am reasonably settled with Karis H on the FH and I need to decide what to use on the BH.  I am leaning toward another Karis H or toward Karis M+, but will take some more experimentation.

In the meantime, I will order another Karis H and set it up on my backup blade.  I travel for work a fair bit, so I carry my spare racket with me in case I get a chance to go practice somewhere.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 7:03pm
Koshkin, very interesting read and I would agree that even on the M+, you need a flexible blade. I personally don't think the Karis in general works super well with stiff blades at all. It feels dead. Even on the Vega Pro (blade) I found the M to be quite 'dead'. 

I have since tried the Karis on a Violin and it was much better/alive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic