tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

42andbackpains April training video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 42andbackpains April training video
    Posted: 05/13/2017 at 11:41am

Have not posted in a while. I have been out since last Oct 2016 with tendinitis and started playing lightly in February.

Here is a condensed version of my April 15th Saturday 2 hours training. I basically train for 2 minutes and rest for 5 minutes...I switch back and forth from forehand and backhand drills because i have tendinitis in my upper and lower back shoulder area on my playing arm side. This helps alleviate the strain from doing too many drills on one side of the table. Your opinions and criticisms welcomedSmile

0:00 Basic Forehand: Felt some slight slippage from the MX-P. In my opinion why many people feel this rubber is for well defined strokes. I like it because it feels a lot like H3 Neo provincial without the hassle of boosting.

1:32 Forehand Loop practice: Trying to rebuild my forehand loop. More friction and less wood. Didn't do adjustments till 9:14 Forehand Loop drill with multiball.

3:36 Basic Backhand: Its improving weekly. If you didn't know i tried short pips for about 2 years and felt the 2 years was not in vain. Try looping with shortpips on your backhand and you will start to find the feel of the ball even better. It has helped my return to smooth inverted backhand. Just gotta kick the habit of blocking the ball in rallies and spin the ball with my wrist.(Coach reminds me of this habit once in a while)

4:51 Backhand Loop multiball drill: One of my better drills and always had a better backhand loop than my forehand loop since i was a kid. I can feel the ball better on my backhand than my forehand.

5:40 Pendulum Serve to backhand loop drill: Its alright...not there yet.

9:14 Forehand Loop multiball drill: Rebuilding my forehand loop takes time and surely but slowly its coming around. Coach tells me more wrist action and open the face more. As well as rotate around the core of my body, left to right and not lunging to the left when i loop. I have a tendency for my body to spring up and need to stop this habit. I also have a tendency since i was a kid to sidespin loop on my forehand. I am trying to attain a more topspin loop. I am starting to see the dip generated by a well looped ball because i see the dip or arcing of the ball into the table. When i review my recorded video, i feel i am getting good spin when my loops are climbing the barrier after the ball lands on the floor. My old looping style will the ball many a times overshoots the table (too much wood,impact force and driving the ball too much).

13:40 Push Practice: This has helped my touch game a lot in all aspects of my game. Don't understand why more people don't practice this more.

17:45 Forehand Flip drill: Its ok, not good yet. In game i am always late to the ball when i try to flip. My fitness level is not there yet.

18:45 2 Backhand to 2 Forehand Loop drill transition drill: One of my worst drills. Fitness is not there and timing are all off.

19:20 Forehand Loop from half chop drill: Drill to feel the ball more and better my timing. Also one of my worst drills and need to keep at it.

20:10 Match Play: Coach(Ex Beijing provincial player) She gives me 7 and i win 3-0. Then she gives me 6 and i win the first 2 games and lose the last 3 because i was out of steam. (She is also a bit tired from running the Easter week junior camp and this was how i won 5 straight games...lol)

21:04 Point of the Day: Lucky backhand kill for a winner.

Edited by 42andbackpains - 05/13/2017 at 11:45am
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Custom Stiga Oversize Reproduction 6.1mm 90grams
FH Tibhar MX-P Black
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2017 at 8:00pm
Two years is a long time and long commitment to just drop using short pips. What made you stop?

I used short pips for maybe a year or just under but switched back to inverted because of primarily the mid-distance weakness and also I like returning serves with more spin.
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2017 at 11:11pm
ClapClapThumbs Up
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2017 at 9:52am
2 years is not that long for me, i was dealing with sciatica, scalpula tendinitis and other injuries.  So i played on and off for a couple of months, then get injured and stop for a couple of months. 

I was being coached by Shao Yu, probably the best shakehand attacker with shortpips on his backhand. He can loop and do very flat no spin kill shots from even the hardest angles. 

I could not the get the feel of the ball as well as i get with smooth inverted. And i was working too hard to get pace on the ball. With all my injuries, i decided to go back to smooth and let the rubber do the work. With shortpips, you have to do most of all the work. Also there is a sense of danger i feel i give opponents with smooth inverted that i don't get with shortpips. 

With the advent of the new polyball, please bring back the Original TSP SpinPips!!!
FH Tibhar MX-P Black
BH Butterfly T05 Red
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2017 at 11:15am
I see, that makes sense. I know exactly what you mean about doing all the work. If I remember correctly you were using Stiga Clippa. I always felt that when attacking with classic sponge short pips, if my stroke wasn't at least at 75% that the resulting ball was easy for my opponents. That's why I was a fan of speed glue effect short pips like Waran as they tended to help keep the pace up.
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2017 at 8:18pm
Not sure why you guys stopped using short pips, but the SP penholders at my club are a pain to play with, so fast and deadly and precise! I think it is one of the better styles to play imo....
-------

DHS PG7

FH: H3 Neo
BH: TG3 Neo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2017 at 8:39pm
Shortpips is a acquired taste...some may like it but its not for the masses. I will say that a lot of the old timers who still play shortpips are still very effective but they still complain that ITTF banned the original TSP Spinpips. At that time LGL won championships with that particular shortpips and then ITTF with there idiotic ways banned the rubber to try to curb LGL from winning. That idea didn't really pan out, look at the dominance of China today. . Now you see the after effects of very few world class players that use shortpips.
FH Tibhar MX-P Black
BH Butterfly T05 Red
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2017 at 12:03am
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Shortpips is a acquired taste...some may like it but its not for the masses. I will say that a lot of the old timers who still play shortpips are still very effective but they still complain that ITTF banned the original TSP Spinpips. At that time LGL won championships with that particular shortpips and then ITTF with there idiotic ways banned the rubber to try to curb LGL from winning. That idea didn't really pan out, look at the dominance of China today. . Now you see the after effects of very few world class players that use shortpips.

Pardon my ignorance, but just wondering what was so special about the original Spinpips that can't be replicated by any other pips rubber nowadays?
-------

DHS PG7

FH: H3 Neo
BH: TG3 Neo
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but just wondering what was so special about the original Spinpips that can't be replicated by any other pips rubber nowadays?

There was a limit paced on the height, width and spacing of pips that limited how spinny yet disturbing they could be.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Xiom Vega Pro FL
FH: Karis M B
BH: Karis M R
Lumberjack TT Exponent
No train, no gain.
OldschoolPenholder View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldschoolPenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2017 at 3:59pm

Also there is a sense of danger i feel i give opponents with smooth inverted that i don't get with shortpips.

Having played 42&bp - I agree I'm more worried about his BH loop with smooth vs his BH SP smash. As an oldschool PH, i like to punch and if his BH SP smash comes at me, I have a better chance to punch my return. With his fast spinny BH loop with smooth, I have an exponentially harder time to return the ball adjusting for both speed and spin vs just speed of the SP smash.

Edited by OldschoolPenholder - 05/15/2017 at 4:07pm
My Opponent is my Friend.
My Friend is my Teacher.
My Teacher shows me my Weaknesses.
I am only as Strong as my Weakness.
My Ego is my Enemy.
I will not Lose to my Enemy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic