FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Mark V Break In

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark V Break In
    Posted: 05/16/2017 at 12:36pm

I recently bought a new sheet of Mark V Max. Ok I can't seem to get away from this rubber after years of tensors etc. This sheet looks great but the thickness appears about 2.2mm not 2.5mm. It played flat with a low throw and not as fast as previous sheets. I will reglue 2 more times to see if that helps. I'm thinking the topsheet needs a bit of break-in too. I do not want to use boosters. My old sheet of max is fast with medium throw and has a great touch but after 3 years it's time to change it. Any suggestions?
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Sponsored Links

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 11:48pm
If you paid $30+ for Mark V, my only suggestion is seek help from doctor. 

And let your wife take care of family money.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

If you paid $30+ for Mark V, my only suggestion is seek help from doctor. 

And let your wife take care of family money.

trollers gonna troll.....

frogger...just hit and hit and hit with it.....only way.  Dont use boosters because it will shorten life span. 
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 11:49am
Thanks Rick, I will reglue a few more times and hit the loving crap out of the topsheet. Stupid Mark V is a tough customer and lasts a very long time. My old 2.5mm sheet had spin from the gods...just wish the new max was the same thickness.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 12:11am
I think Mark V is still good for the new poly ball.   You need better technique to get a lot of spin, compared to modern tensor.   When I play with tensor, my spin is greater, but after a while you get lazy as it is easier to produce spin.  So with Mark V, you keep your technique sharp.  It's my opinion though.  Other people might think differently.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2017 at 9:43am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I think Mark V is still good for the new poly ball.   You need better technique to get a lot of spin, compared to modern tensor.   When I play with tensor, my spin is greater, but after a while you get lazy as it is easier to produce spin.  So with Mark V, you keep your technique sharp.  It's my opinion though.  Other people might think differently.

Yes great for close table play, as for spin yes one must work a bit harder but the overall control of the ball is superior to tensors. I believe Mark V is somewhat blade dependent also to generate better spin. Seems to work great on Limba or Koto outer ply fast blades. It's to slow on a medium speed blades for my taste. Tames a Off+ composite blade while still retaining excellent speed close to table. Agree the soft topsheet works well with the new ball. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 4:21pm
I'm with you guys.  Tensors always end up bothering me because I don't feel like I'm doing the playing and I often consider giving Mark V another go.  I use Cole's Air DefenderS which seems similar if my memory serves me, but DefenderS might be a bit faster.  It sounds like Mark V would go well on my Waldner (OFF Limba) if the time comes.  I just can't seem to get away from Cole's Air rubbers.  Thumbs Up
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 4:58pm
I heard about Mark V for years and finally bought a sheet. It has very little spin or speed. Maybe it would be better for a developing player with no control and monster swings.

I think it's just something that used to be good when the game had smaller balls and lower nets where more spin was generated easier and less was needed in general.

My suggestion is to use a newer rubber that has considerably more spin and learn from that. Check out the nationals next month, all of these kids will be using tenergy 05fx or equiv for a reason.

TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

I heard about Mark V for years and finally bought a sheet. It has very little spin or speed. Maybe it would be better for a developing player with no control and monster swings.

I think it's just something that used to be good when the game had smaller balls and lower nets where more spin was generated easier and less was needed in general.

My suggestion is to use a newer rubber that has considerably more spin and learn from that. Check out the nationals next month, all of these kids will be using tenergy 05fx or equiv for a reason.

This is interesting. If you only "heard about it" but never played with a max glued X 3 of Mark V how can you make that conclusion? I have played with T05fx, T64, Renanos Hold, MXP, and a ton of others. I have been playing for 45 years with countless tournaments. Sorry if you thought I was a newby. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 5:20pm
I often think people assume a player is a beginner because they're still using Mark V, etc.

All I know is I do a lot more destruction and winning with my "cheap, spinless, slow" rubbers.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 5:23pm

I think it's just something that used to be good when the game had lower nets

When did the game have lower nets?
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 5:34pm
In fact just yesterday I played one of the best players at the club who does mounds of training. He had just finished playing another guy who uses T80 on both sides but he kept commenting on how much more spin and speed I was generating with my Mark V-like rubber and that it was really bothering him.

To each their own I guess.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

This is interesting. If you only "heard about it" but never played with a max glued X 3 of Mark V how can you make that conclusion? I have played with T05fx, T64, Renanos Hold, MXP, and a ton of others. I have been playing for 45 years with countless tournaments. Sorry if you thought I was a newby. :)

Go to nationals in july and find me one junior who plays with Mark V on ANY side.

I know for sure you are no newbie. In fact I know you are probably much older than me.
Defending Mark V is just TT talk for 'get off my lawn with your new rubber' blah blah.

I'm going to say it again for actual newbies tho: Mark V is not a great rubber for learning.

Oh and I'm not interested in any equipment that you have to glue more than once or use any substance other than glue to put on the blade. Not old man kinda-creepy-you-glue-before-every-practice speed glue either.

Edited by wilkinru - 05/19/2017 at 5:58pm
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 6:07pm
wilkinru, if you're not interested in Mark V then why are you posting on this thread?  You gave frogger a suggestion he wasn't interested in.  Take it or leave it.

This thread wasn't about what newbies should use anyway.  Its about what a player enjoys using and how he can maintain it.

Besides it is his lawn.  If yours and the lawns at Nationals prefer T05fx, so be it.  My lawn is greenest with Mark V and the like.

Edited by DLC1325 - 05/19/2017 at 6:11pm
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 6:53pm
Well, I agree that Mark V in max thickness is probably not a great rubber for learning.

Aside from that, in competent hands, Mark V works just fine with the new ball and new rules.  I am sure it does not have enough pop at the highest levels, but very few people on this forum are quite that good.

It really comes down to how you play.  I remember in the glue days when everyone was soaking their rubbers with tons of glue, Jorg Rosskopf refused to glue his BH rubber.  His FH was glued, but BH was not.  It gave him a better feel and that made all the difference in the world.  I do not recall anyone complaining that Rossi's BH was not fast enough.  He did flip his racket occasionally when he wanted to rip a BH loop from far away.

In the modern world, Mark V is probably not an optimal option for someone who runs away from the table and power loops.  Aside form that, it should work fine.

Lastly, to address the original question.  When Yasak says 2.5mm sponge, what they really mean is that the sponge is between 2.2mm and 2.5mm if I remember correctly.  You may have simply gotten one from the lower side of the tolerance.

It's been years since I played with Mark V, but I remember in the glue days I would sort through a stack of them to pick a few that would beof about the same thickness.  There was a fair bit of a variation.

One final note on blade compatibility.  There is a weird synergy sometimes between blades and rubbers.  Glued Mark V on Donic Waldner Dicon (which itself was a version of Banda Waldner with different grip and slightly different shape), was one of the fastest rackets I have ever tried.

ILya 
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 9:20pm
the biggest problem with Sriver and MarkV, as I was arguing 4 years go, is the price. Yes, the rubber is playable, and if it cost $12 you would never hear from me. Because this is the price point at which is competitive. 
Anything over $30 today is better in every single characteristic that Mark V. And if you frequent this forum you should know how to shop. It is not hard to buy a $55 rubber for $30. Google a little. Even the new chinese rubbers play better than MarkV (if price over $30). 
It's like buying a black and white TV for the same price you can buy a new Samsung smart TV, and then come here and tell me you can still watch your shows just fine. It is not smart. And trying to defend that decision is a double-down on a stupid first decision. I am still waiting for the ninja story. Every time i attack those old rubbers, someone comes up with a story about a ninja, who dropped out of the ceiling, beat everybody with a MarkV paddle, then tossed some dust and disappeared in the air again. Well that just begs for mocking.  
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 10:28pm
OMG such great feedback. Some positive and some are resting on the premise that you don't have a game if you play with Mark V. OMG the horror of such a selection for this rubber. I won't bore everyone with the why I like it or that It's still a huge seller worldwide even after the advent of super spin...speed tensors. Like Koshkin said "It really comes down to how you play". The reason it is still great is the fact that no other topsheet is more consistent from sheet to sheet and the stupid stuff lasts a long time. No other rubber at that price point even comes close to the quality. If it's such a bad rubber why was Ma Lin using it not to many years ago? As for speed comparing T05FX to Mark V max close to table I really don't see much of a difference. Spin The T05fx wins by 2 rotations.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 10:32pm
The only time I'd settle with the Mark V.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 10:38pm
Mark V is my 2nd favorite forehand rubber behind H3.  With it I can loop with a full swing as hard as I can from the legs up and stay in control.  The ball loads up with spin and dives back on the table.  I can do this with H3 and Mark V.  With any tensor type rubber I end up finding myself taking a little off my shots when they aren't easy shots to keep it on the table and the ball doesn't have as much juice on it even though its a faster spinier rubber.  And I also find myself having less good balls to loop as my short game suffers.  But then again I am only a 1500 player not one of the typical elite players here whose explosive game is held back by anything less than max tensor rubbers on a carbon blade.
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2017 at 10:58pm
Any rubber over $30 today is paying way too much when you can go to a Dollar General Store and buy British Leyland (which will last over 50 years if you don't microwave or try to boost it).  And Wal Mart will sell you a couple of sheets of Butterfly Orthodox for $1.50 a sheet (red and/or black) and will even throw in a Sportcraft blade to put the Orthodox onto if you're on a first name basis which the guy in the Sporting Goods department.

Black and white TVs were very reliable.  Trust me; I was there when they first came out.  A Samsung smart? TV is about as smart as my Compaq laptop, and if something effs up it's like pulling teeth to get your picture straightened out again.

For those who play inverted sponge, Mark V is a noble rubber with a distinguished history.  Tenergy in all its versions and all of them there new Chinese rubbers are only good for six year olds with demanding parents who are told explicitly by both parents and coaches to stay away from the hard stuff or Mark V or you'll never be a World Champion.  Never mind that even though you have a USATT rating of zero, have never played in a tournament because your parents and coaches are holding you back from the discouragement of defeat, with Tenergy eventually all things are possible.  Except probably a major price decrease.  Well maybe in 2030, when Tenergy becomes as archaic to your typical serious ponger as Mark V is now. 

Oh that I were a 1970s ninja.  I'd drop down from the ceiling, beat everybody with my Stellan Bengtsson Mark V $17.95 paddle, and disappear into the air, only to reappear 30 years later with a SuperHock cpen,
rpb, Leyland and from 2001-2004 (2002 being an exception)  kick some mid-level hardbat butt.

Keep on playing with the Mark V, frogger.  Believe me, there's no greater satisfaction than the reverse snobbery of opening up a can of whup ass against an opponent with $80 rubber, a $300 blade, $100 table tennis shoes in a European or Japanese size that don't quite fit, and an attitude you could cut with a butter knife.

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/19/2017 at 11:04pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2017 at 8:28am
Thank you berndt_mann. I believe the whole point here is simply play with what turns your crank. When I get defeated in a final by a player who is using a K-Mart worn hardbat it makes my point very valid. Hard to believe but true. He was returning my severe sidespin loops like da wizard from hell and countered with blazing fast low spin smashes. Made me want to quit the sport.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2017 at 10:06am
good lord.....the things people say.......  oh well.    There is absolutely no need to justify what equipment you are using to someone.      

Snobbers gonna snob!

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2017 at 11:08am
Here's a video of an English player called Dave Harvey. I watched Dave this week (Wed 17 May 2017) beat a professional player from Spain in a money tournament. This pro is +2300.
Dave is about 70yo and uses a Mark V 1.5mm on a Butterfly Kenny blade. He is best known for his awesome bh opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sI7e_qPeb8

I could not find anything from his young days, but here he is (00:08-00:35) using a recreational hardbat in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew09BCoPsfI

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2017 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Keep on playing with the Mark V, frogger.  Believe me, there's no greater satisfaction than the reverse snobbery of opening up a can of whup ass against an opponent with $80 rubber, a $300 blade, $100 table tennis shoes in a European or Japanese size that don't quite fit, and an attitude you could cut with a butter knife.

This is what its all about. Hahaha LOL And the enjoyment of the game, of course.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2017 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Here's a video of an English player called Dave Harvey. I watched Dave this week (Wed 17 May 2017) beat a professional player from Spain in a money tournament. This pro is +2300.
Dave is about 70yo and uses a Mark V 1.5mm on a Butterfly Kenny blade. He is best known for his awesome bh opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sI7e_qPeb8

I could not find anything from his young days, but here he is (00:08-00:35) using a recreational hardbat in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew09BCoPsfI

Great play by Mr Harvey, a huge talent in taking the ball very early. His Mark V does wonders...Wink
The only question I have is why that pro guy played into Mr Harvey's strengths all the time?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
hangdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hangdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 6:54am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

The only time I'd settle with the Mark V.
Does that count as a Mark V break in?

Edited by hangdog - 05/21/2017 at 6:55am
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 8:56am
@ Frogger - Have you considered using Revolution 3 glue..?

Maybe you are already using it...

I don't use it myself, but it's just an idea to change the feel...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 11:06am
An Ode to Mark V, Tip-Top, frogger, and all who still use it:

The Wild Looper (tune:  The Wild Rover)

I was a wild looper
For many a year,
And I spent all my money
On Tip-Top and beer.

I'd fire up my Mark V
With Tip-Top so thick,
And my smoke was no joke, bloke--
My loop was way quick.

But the V's not alive now,
My heat's history;
And Phantom and Feint Long
Made lunchmeat of me.

I'll go home to hard rubber
Like Reisman so pure.
All this screwing, speed gluing's
A disease, not a cure.

What with sponging, long pips grunging,
Our sport's now a bore.
So I never will play
The wild looper no more.

What?  No never?  Never no more?
No I never will play
The wild looper no more.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 11:23am
Good and funny stuff. Break in has a better feel than a new sheet of any rubber. I love Mark V but know it has it's limits these days with the advent of new rubber technology. One can still enjoy it's character even though that player will work a bit harder to obtain the speed and spin but not by much. I have recently discovered Xiom Musa 3 which is like Mark v with a little more pop. This rubber is fantastic and provides a bridge from classic rubbers to high powered tensors. Any player can use it from most levels and the price is nice. Well that's another thread isn't it. Thanks for the feedback and remember to support all of us as we are a brotherhood to a sport that we all love.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Good and funny stuff. Break in has a better feel than a new sheet of any rubber. I love Mark V but know it has it's limits these days with the advent of new rubber technology. One can still enjoy it's character even though that player will work a bit harder to obtain the speed and spin but not by much. I have recently discovered Xiom Musa 3 which is like Mark v with a little more pop. This rubber is fantastic and provides a bridge from classic rubbers to high powered tensors. Any player can use it from most levels and the price is nice. Well that's another thread isn't it. Thanks for the feedback and remember to support all of us as we are a brotherhood to a sport that we all love.

Hear, hear! To frogger. Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic