FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hurricane 8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane 8
    Posted: 05/27/2017 at 9:56pm
Right now my setup is a DHS PG7 coupled with TG3 Neo and H3 Neo (tacky rubbers both sides). I have a spare Clipper CR which I'm thinking of upgrading the rubbers. I usually try to hit and spin the ball pretty hard especially on the forehand, so control on soft shots (serves, pushes, flicks and blocks) are the most important for me. I play quite close to the table in general. Just read some good reviews about the new Hurricane 8 which seems to be be a tacky rubber with a more lively sponge. What do you guys think of a setup with both sides hurricane 8 on a clipper cr?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2017 at 1:13pm
I think this setup makes a lot of sense, except for the weight potentially becoming a problem. The H8's are heavy (53-57 g cut) and the Clipper CR is not exactly a lightweight blade neither.  
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2017 at 2:53pm
I think two H8s would suit you well.  Patrick is right about the weight, but for myself and my buddy its a non-issue.  In fact my friend says the weight/mass actually helps to do some of the work for him.  He is a solid looper with perfect form.

I would say the throw will probably be lower on the Clipper though because it is stiff and H8s throw is lower than H3 Neo and maybe slightly lower than TG3 Neo, but if you're close to the table you should be ok.

H8 is more lively than H3 Neo and TG3 Neo which for us makes it easier to block with and easier to use in general.  Personally, I think it feels somewhat like a hybrid, but definitely more on the Chinese side of the scale.  Great feel, countering and spin monster.

It sounds like a sweet setup to me. Thumbs Up
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2017 at 10:33am
Thanks guys... wow I cannot believe the H8 is that heavy.... that is almost 10% heavier than the Neo series! 

I normally prefer to hit with a more open blade angle rather than a closed one, it allows me to feel the ball better. 

How is the tackiness level when comparing the Neo series and the Hurricane 8, and the spin potential in both rubbers? I definitely prefer a rubber that can produce a lot of spin, especially for my pushes, serves and short game. I read some reviews saying it is tackier than the Neo series, but some reviews say it is less spinny. Just a bit confused here... 
-------
Viscaria

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2017 at 7:01pm
I'm recalling this from memory as I haven't used H8 in a while, so take it lightly...

I have most experience with TG2 Neo and H8.  H8 seems clearly more tacky to me.  In the short game and over the table I think TG2 Neo has more spin potential because it seems easier to generate spin with it, but when a full stroke is used, such as with looping, I think H8 has more spin.  The way the ball sinks into the springier H8 sponge and softer topsheet gives a feeling of great power on loops and the spin is devastating. 

That said, overall I don't think there is much difference in spin potential.  They just feel and play differently.  Honestly the ratings on TTDB for H8 and TG2 Neo seem very accurate to me, though I'd probably put H8's speed a little higher.  H8's control is fantastic.  

For the way I play in the short game, TG2 Neo is easily the spinniest tacky rubber I've ever used.  You know when you rip a good loop and your poor opponent's block just sends the ball into the sky?  Well, I'm able to do that on backhand flicks with TG2 Neo.  I can't comment on H3 Neo as I haven't had a chance to get a full assessment with it yet.

Anyway, I think for your needs H8 would prove just fine.  It is a really great rubber, IMO. 

Edited by DLC1325 - 05/30/2017 at 7:11pm
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2017 at 7:16pm
How about boosting with an extra layer and getting 1 hardness up for H3 Neo? H3 Neo is an amazing rubber.

Not sure about tacky rubbers on the bh, wouldn't personally ever use them, but if you like them H8 would be a step up from TG3 Neo.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2017 at 7:17pm
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2017 at 7:25pm
My H8 is odd which is totally non-tacky and dull even when new. Only after some oil and falco treatment did it bring back some life. 
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2017 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

My H8 is odd which is totally non-tacky and dull even when new. Only after some oil and falco treatment did it bring back some life. 

I'd like to know more about what oil you used to treat the topsheet with.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

I'd like to know more about what oil you used to treat the topsheet with.

+1

Had a poopy sheet of TG3 Neo with zero tack
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 6:39am
Got my Hurricane 8 on my Clipper, wow Patrick and DLC predicted it completely right, it was batshit heavy.... took quite a few sessions for me to get used to the blade weight and it makes TT even more of a workout than it already is for me. The good thing is arm only strokes just doesn't work with heavy bats, so it "forces" good technique out of you. 

First thoughts is that this is very tacky (even tackier than the Neo series!), and has a much more responsive and lively sponge than the Neo series which is dead hard at times... Control on the short game and service is just beautiful and even better than the H3 Neo series (I didn't think it could ever be better than that!), it was really easy to load my pushes with huge amounts of spin. Blocks are extremely solid and easy to control because the rubber just absorbs so much of the incoming momentum from a fast loop. FH and BH opening loops, 3rd ball attacks and powerloops are very deadly especially close to table, the amount of speed and spin you can safely generate on a loop is just really insane (compared to other rubbers) which means a lot higher percentage shots due to the spin helping you to keep the ball on the table.  

Now for the cons: 
The weight is a huge issue for me.... the BH chiquita flip (which I rely on huge) feels a lot harder and I'm recovering slower between strokes, especially when my arm starts to get sore. Borrowing power from the other player is also really difficult as it absorbs a lot of the momentum, which requires you to hit the ball hard every time you need a fast ball. I feel that with this bat you're forced to play slower and more powerful, and is not suited for speed based players. So for example, instead of doing BH pressure play to win the point, I found that in rallies I tended to use even more abbreviated strokes to just block/counter with spin, and wait patiently for a weaker shot that I can just simply kill with my FH. For opening loops, I found that medium speed/spin loops really suck with this rubber, you really need to think of "overwhelming" your opponent with power and spin instead of just keeping the ball in play...otherwise a lot of your balls would just die in the net or be slow balls which your opponents can tear apart easily. So for opening loops you really have to get down low, use your legs, rotate your waist and load the ball up with as much spin/speed as possible. The next shot is more often just a simple block/counter, it's just too hard to do continuous looping with this heavy and dead'ish setup. Away from the table it has plenty of gears and power if you can generate them, but if you're an amateur scrub like me you're probably on the back foot against someone of equal skill/strength who use tensors/Tenergy (i.e. majority of the other club double-inverted players), the advantage they have almost feels unfair.... 

TLDR: This setup (Clipper CR + Hurricane 8 on both sides) is extremely good for players who like to play with a lot of spin on their serves and receives, those who love lots of control on their blocks and have powerful and heavy strokes on both sides. It is quite bad for those who have wristy strokes (especially on the BH), those who love flipping, speedy players and those who play a lot of mid-range looping battles.  

I feel it really ticks all the boxes for my playing style and I'm really happy with the setup...
-------
Viscaria

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2017 at 12:15am
Late reply to blah...

You reminded me of why I dropped H8 on the BH and in general.  Flicking is a big part of my game and I too found it to be very difficult to do wristy flicks with H8.  I also like to play a "quicker" game versus a more powerful one, so I preferred TG2 Neo to H8.  Wristy BH flicks with TG2 Neo on an ebony blade are insanely spinny when performed correctly.  Confused

H8's control on blocking is a beautiful thing though!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic