Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North Virginia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Virginia
    Posted: 06/06/2017 at 7:05am
Any forum members play in the

-North Virginia Table Tennja Club
-Smash Table Tennis

I'm on vacation/scouting for a possible relocation and trying to look for a home club to play in
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Sponsored Links

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 10:42am
Not to be confused with Northern Virginia Table Tennis Club (NVTTC) in Arlington, VA, there's also Northern Virginia Table Tennis Center (NoVATTC) http://www.novattc.com in Chantilly, VA.  A few forum members, including myself, play there.  Smash is about 10 minutes from NoVATTC.  NVTTC is about 30 minutes from NoVATTC. Other clubs in the area include http://wdctt.com/ in DC and http://mdttc.com in Gaithersburg, MD.  There are also a number of rec centers with table tennis.

If you're relocating to NoVA, it can be difficult to get to MDTTC and WDCTT during the week because of the traffic.

PM me if you need more info.

OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2017 at 3:08am
For a year+ I played at both Smash TTC and Chantilly NoVATTC.

Monday/Wed are great days for meeting/playing 2200+ players, the owners teen daughter is solid 2000+. League on Sat 4 PM too.

Smash has league Tues/Friday

Like Gman sez, you need a private helicopter to go to MDTTC on a weeknight or WDCTT
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2017 at 3:09am
Owner of smash is 2200 level, his son is 2000 level whatever his rating fluxuates and is improving.
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2017 at 8:48am
http://www.pcttc.net/

Saturday from 9:30 to 1:30, you may come to this
club. Usually at least 20+ ratings 1900-2150 with
few above 2200, and 20+ ratings 1500-1900.
For non-member, you only need to pay $5 per time.
It also opens every Wednesday 6-10 but traffic may be bad.

MDTTC has league match Tuesday and Friday 7:30-, and fee is $10.
It has all ratings, and 6 person per group according to rating
to play a round robin, and also has Sunday League with rating 2100+
and for 1900-2100 you pay extra $5 in additional to $10 regular fee.
fourcourts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourcourts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

Any forum members play in the

-North Virginia Table Tennja Club
-Smash Table Tennis

I'm on vacation/scouting for a possible relocation and trying to look for a home club to play in

Hi Mon,

I am familiar with Northern Virginia TT Club (http://www.nvttc.org/) As the website states, they play in Madison Community Center in Arlington. I have not played there in years but if you are visiting, no problem dropping in a couple of times for free. They play in classrooms with one table per classroom. I believe 3 classrooms have tile and one has carpet. The level is around 1300-1600 but every now and then, higher level players come in.

As GMan said, there is also Northern Virginia TT Center in Chantilly. If you have limited time, I would definitely consider their Friday night league play. Same goes for Gaithersburg.
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2017 at 12:40pm
A little further south in NC is Triangle Table Tennis, the largest facility in the country. In case moving to NC is an option.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2017 at 1:37pm
I'll be back in the area to look for real estate from 30th to July 5th

Would love to meet some EJs

I'll be around tysons corner. Not sure how far these clubs are but I'll start searching
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2017 at 2:01pm
There is a Washington DC TTC around 15 miles driving distant from Tyson's Corner.
http://wdctt.com/
Gunston Community Center in Arlington has a good population of 1800 - 2200+ players:
https://parks.arlingtonva.us/parksfacilities/community-centers/gunston-community-center-weekly-schedule/. Holiday schedule might vary, thus call first will be preferred.
RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2017 at 8:36pm
mon22,

If you stay in Tysons Corner area, then you are in the middle of 3 different clubs.  You can go to MDTTC, NVTTC, or NoVATTC.

I work in the Tysons Corner Area.  I go to NoVATTC.  PM me your cell number.  We may go to the club together.

Speedy
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 12:53am
Neat

Thanks guys

Speedy pm sent
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 2:30am
Speedy, I must have run into you over there at NoVA TTC... That is TEAMWORK offering to carpool, WTG.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by simon_xuan simon_xuan wrote:

There is a Washington DC TTC around 15 miles driving distant from Tyson's Corner.
Gunston Community Center in Arlington has a good population of 1800 - 2200+ players:
https://parks.arlingtonva.us/parksfacilities/community-centers/gunston-community-center-weekly-schedule/. Holiday schedule might vary, thus call first will be preferred.

This was a great find. I'm staying in Arlington for a couple weeks and playing at Gunston. Lots of good players and super convenient.

I've played at mdttc, wdttc, both arlington venues, potomac, and clara barton. But never at smash or novattc. I'm thinking about going to Smash for league tonight, but not sure if it will be worth the commute from Arlington on a Friday. Anyone here who is a regular at Smash and can tell me how the league works? How many matches do you normally get? And is there much waiting?

Google says about 40 minutes drive each way, and I'd like to get at least as much table time as drive time.
apenholder View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 8:59am
I'm not playing tonight but lately on Friday at smash it's 30-40 players pretty evenly spread from complete beginner to 2000. Groups of 6, sometimes 5 or 7 matches best of 5 so I would think that's over 40 min of table time.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 9:34am
Look at the Session Group Archive to get a feel for the numbers and levels of players.  http://www.smashtt.com/session-group-report-historyarchive/

If you're available Sundays, NoVATTC has their elite league on Sunday nights starting @ 5 pm, ends around 7:30-8pm.  We typically have 8-12 players on 2-4 tables, average level around 2000.  Top players around 2200.  Mix of different styles, loopers, choppers, pips, etc.  One of our Jr players won the Bronze at the Hopes Challenge last week.  Round Robin format, 1 or 2 groups, so you get plenty of play.  Rules are sign up by 5pm, no entries after 5, and must finish all matches, no defaults.  $2 league + $10 club fee, top 4-6 finishers split the league fees.  
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:03am
big time skill discrepancy in group 1 
Mingez View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mingez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 7:14pm
BRS, let me know if you end up going anywhere Saturday or Sunday. I’ll try to make it. The wife is out of town, so I have daddy duty all weekend, but it’d be cool to hit with you.

I recommend Sunday league at NOVATTC if you want to play anyone over 2000.

Smash is the nicest place to play in terms of facilities. Lots of room, good tables, good AC, sports court. I can’t play at Smash Tonigjt because my warriors are playing. The Levenes are good people.

—Japsican from OOAK, btw

Edited by Mingez - 06/08/2018 at 7:14pm
It's not spin reversal, it's spin continuation...
Defplay Senso, T05 1.7mm, XIOM Ω IV 2.0mm
Defplay Senso, TSP P-1R 1.0mm, XIOM Ω IV 2.0mm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 1:01am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Originally posted by simon_xuan simon_xuan wrote:

This was a great find. I'm staying in Arlington for a couple weeks and playing at Gunston. Lots of good players and super convenient.

I've played at mdttc, wdttc, both arlington venues, potomac, and clara barton. But never at smash or novattc. I'm thinking about going to Smash for league tonight, but not sure if it will be worth the commute from Arlington on a Friday. Anyone here who is a regular at Smash and can tell me how the league works? How many matches do you normally get? And is there much waiting?

Google says about 40 minutes drive each way, and I'd like to get at least as much table time as drive time.

BRS, 15 miles is nothing, but in DC where you are, when you leave, and what path you take count for everything. If you leave around 3 PM or earlier, just go up 267. If you want to take 267 on Friday, some days traffic clears up by 6 PM, but don't bank on it. Leave an hour early and if you are running late, FB message Smash.

I moved out of the area of Novatt and Smash to Sacramento, but was a member at both places.

The 2 PM Sunday should be good for you at Novattc. Also, either Mon or Wed (or both) around 4PM, there are several 2000-2300 players, they hang out there until around 7 PM or so. I forgot which day, Wade, Nassar, Nam, Hiep, Chopper Le, Chopper Freddy, Naveen, Guarav, and a couple others showed up. I have been gone 1.5 yrs.

Smash runs a league twice a week, pretty much the same thing. You are grouped into divisions (tables) by level and do a complete round robin. There are stats kept and awards for the "season".

On non-league nights, they have a court set aside with a few tables, great if you bring someone to train with to practice, no waiting or pressure to leave table.

I used to do Smash league 2x a week and play at Novattc the rest of the week.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

BRS, 15 miles is nothing, but in DC where you are, when you leave, and what path you take count for everything. If you leave around 3 PM or earlier, just go up 267. If you want to take 267 on Friday, some days traffic clears up by 6 PM, but don't bank on it. Leave an hour early and if you are running late, FB message Smash.

I moved out of the area of Novatt and Smash to Sacramento, but was a member at both places.

The 2 PM Sunday should be good for you at Novattc. Also, either Mon or Wed (or both) around 4PM, there are several 2000-2300 players, they hang out there until around 7 PM or so. I forgot which day, Wade, Nassar, Nam, Hiep, Chopper Le, Chopper Freddy, Naveen, Guarav, and a couple others showed up. I have been gone 1.5 yrs.

Smash runs a league twice a week, pretty much the same thing. You are grouped into divisions (tables) by level and do a complete round robin. There are stats kept and awards for the "season".

On non-league nights, they have a court set aside with a few tables, great if you bring someone to train with to practice, no waiting or pressure to leave table.

I used to do Smash league 2x a week and play at Novattc the rest of the week.

This is Speedy "Hiep".  I didn't know that you moved. 

I go to the club once every 3 or 4 weeks and play the Sunday night leauge starting at 5PM.  The league is still going strong.  Some of the kids are much better now and are playing the league.  They were 1200 when you were here.  Now, they are between 2050 - 2100.  It is a lot more fun.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 9:26pm
Ah C'mon Speedy... You just HAD to notice that the club got a lot quieter since Jan 2017... :D

Coach's daughter clubbing mofos in the Gym with her MP FH and nice touch on BH?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 9:28pm
BRS, it depends on how many of who shows up at Smash, but it is typical to have 5-6 players on Table 1. Maybe I guess looking at the last few league results on the webpage would show a better story.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 7:25am
I was in the No. VA area for a week and stopped by both smash and nova ttc. Both doing well great to see everyone all over again.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2022 at 12:47pm
Visiting DMV area again this upcoming weekend 27th-31st

I lost my contacts from past club members, hoping someone from here is down to link up this weekend.

Always dope to meet and play forum members 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic