Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Packaging Provincial Neo Hurricane 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Packaging Provincial Neo Hurricane 3
    Posted: 06/10/2017 at 1:29am
Hi all,

I have always known the provincial H3N packaging to look like this

The other day, I came across a local reputable seller advertising the same product with this new packaging.

I noticed it had 40+ in the bottom right hand corner. My question is if there is any practical difference between the old one and new one because H3N came out long before the new ball.

Thanks

Edited by iamj8 - 06/10/2017 at 3:20am
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Sponsored Links

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 2:17am
purple pkg is regular, not neo. it's official that it's made by DHS, but it is still a commercialized product. All the DHS stores carry those. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 3:22am
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

purple pkg is regular, not neo. it's official that it's made by DHS, but it is still a commercialized product. All the DHS stores carry those. 

Sorry for the bad links.  Have fixed this.

Thank you for the reply.

Strange they'd make old style Hurricane 3 for the new ball. Ermm

Edited by iamj8 - 06/10/2017 at 3:22am
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 10:53am
That sponge is faster than old Neo.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

That sponge is faster than old Neo.

Thank you for the insight.

If you have experience, how does it play?  Just like what you'd expect but a bit faster?

Also, how do I find reviews for this?  Seems a bit tricky to distinguish this from the classic Hurricane 3.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2017 at 3:59am
It's a bit more powerful than Regular Neo sponge, but nothing special, just like 99% H3 out there.

It requires booster to get it's best performance since it requires full arm power, great footwork and proper technique. I don't recommend harder versions; they're really difficult to control specially if you have never played with Chinese rubbers.. 39° will be fine for any advanced player.

If I were you I'd stay away from any BS version since they're not commercially sold they're fake for sure so better stay on regular orange versions.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 06/11/2017 at 4:07am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2017 at 1:30am
Small update as I recently emailed prott.vip and am sharing some feedback from them.

The neo sponge is softer because it is vacuum sealed and factory tuned.

When it comes to blue vs Orange sponge, the blue feels harder and more powerful.

Edited by iamj8 - 07/10/2017 at 7:12pm
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

If I were you I'd stay away from any BS version since they're not commercially sold they're fake for sure so better stay on regular orange versions.
I've found some authentic blue sponge H3 before, best fh rubber I ever tried (with booster of course). The problem is finding a steady supply of it. Once I used up the 4 sheets I bought, couldn't get any more.

You have to know a guy who knows a guy who knows a player consistently looking to get rid of extra sheets. A tall order indeed Ouch
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2017 at 1:39pm
It is not very difficult to find authentic blue sponge H3. DHS had it at their WTTC booth for sale this year unless they were selling fakes as well....

Edited by jpenmaster - 07/05/2017 at 1:42pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
onehander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2017 at 4:37pm
I use DHS H3/H3neo more than any other rubber.  
I'm currently using H3 Provincial (not Neo).

There is nothing deficient with H3 vs H3 Neo.  Both came out before the plastic ball.  Both are 
still "top of the game" even when compared to the latest post-plastic ball rubber.  H3 is slightly 
slower compared to the equivalent sponge hardness Neo.  I like it that way.  It's really up to the 
individual player's style.  There's also H3-50, H3 blues sponge, H2, TG2, TG3, and all the Neo equivalents.
I cannot say any is better or worse because they are all suitable for someone's style/preference.  

H3 plays best with Speed Glue.
H3 Neo plays best when boosted.  

The feeling is really enhanced.  It's like riding a bike with cement tires verses air inflated tires.  But with 
that said, the cement tire bike can still be ridden, and has lower maintenance.  
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

It is not very difficult to find authentic blue sponge H3. DHS had it at their WTTC booth for sale this year unless they were selling fakes as well....
Guess I'll be headed to an ITTF event every time I need to restock Wink
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 12:16pm
Prott and TTNPP sell Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge. Both National and Provincial versions.

What I don't know is whether the ones they sell are real or fake.

What I DO know, is that the sheets feel pretty good. Better than many other rubber sheets I've used prior on my FH.
A couple of them developed bubbles, I think because I used booster on them. The one Im currently using I did not boost and it has not bubbled. Other sheets I did boost (1 or 2 layers) without bubbling. So it's a bit of a gamble. It was pointed out that National Blue sponge is supposed to be speed glued rather than boosted.

FdT

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 6:00pm
(Fulanodetal)  It was pointed out that National Blue sponge is supposed to be speed glued rather than boosted.

FdT

Holy Butterfly Fair Chack, FdT.  Isn't speed gluing supposed to be illegal these days?  Or is speed gluing legal only for users of National Blue sponge?

Edited by berndt_mann - 07/10/2017 at 6:02pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Prott and TTNPP sell Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge. Both National and Provincial versions.

What I don't know is whether the ones they sell are real or fake.

What I DO know, is that the sheets feel pretty good. Better than many other rubber sheets I've used prior on my FH.
A couple of them developed bubbles, I think because I used booster on them. The one Im currently using I did not boost and it has not bubbled. Other sheets I did boost (1 or 2 layers) without bubbling. So it's a bit of a gamble. It was pointed out that National Blue sponge is supposed to be speed glued rather than boosted.

FdT

If the rubber has a sticker you can check, Prott shows you how to do this on their site.As for the Nat. Blue sponge, maybe the older ones where meant to be speed glued but I don't think that is the case with the newer versions.
Shifter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 9:39pm
"Holy Butterfly Fair Chack, FdT.  Isn't speed gluing supposed to be illegal these days?  Or is speed gluing legal only for users of National Blue sponge?"

hahahaha....well slap me in the ass and call me Judy! '

the answer to your question is:

ONLY IF YOU'RE PLAYING OFFICIAL TOURNAMENTS, which Im not!

Besides....do you have only ONE racket? Isn't it possible that a player may have a legal set-up and a fun set up?!? no, yes?

FdT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 9:43pm
Also, let me consider for a second that I did want to replace my H3 BS with something else (just to entertain the thought). Same spin potential, same speed. What rubber/s should I consider?

FdT
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"Holy Butterfly Fair Chack, FdT.  Isn't speed gluing supposed to be illegal these days?  Or is speed gluing legal only for users of National Blue sponge?"

hahahaha....well slap me in the ass and call me Judy! '

the answer to your question is:

ONLY IF YOU'RE PLAYING OFFICIAL TOURNAMENTS, which Im not!

Besides....do you have only ONE racket? Isn't it possible that a player may have a legal set-up and a fun set up?!? no, yes?

FdT

Yo Judy, whassup?  How's the old ass feeling?

FWIW, I'm not playing official tournaments either; too many meds, tremor problems, coordination somewhat shot to hell.  Plus I'm 75 friggin' years old.

I do have two rackets, covered with British Leyland hard rubber, which can only be used in American hard rubber events.  They were made for me by an English artisan Mark Bellamy, who used a racket as a model used by Ian Harrison, an English international level player of the late 1950s.  They are what the American racket maker Bernard Hock would have calleed "scant" 5-ply blades, about 3/16" thick with I think European birch for all 5 plies.  I'd informally rate the rackets about OFF by today's standards.  I've no idea how they'd play with inverted, anti-, or long pips.  They have wonderful touch, but you have to learn how to incorporate that touch and sensitivity yourself.  Leyland is a rubber that can last for decades, but it won't play the game for you.

Sure, you can have a legal setup and a fun setup.  That's not a problem about which I'm particularly concerned.  I just find that a rubber made for speed gluing, about a decade and one-half after speed gluing with VOCs was banned kinda weird.

Edited by berndt_mann - 07/10/2017 at 10:48pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 12:39pm
Well, the most evident difference between the old packaging and new packaging hurricane provincial non neo/regular provincial for me :

1. Sponge elasticity

With same hardness degree, old regular provincial's sponge is definitely harder, yet has its own elasticity when engaging the sponge with the right amount of power transfered from our stroke. Its crispiness in every offensive stroke is what makes most hurricane 3 users love it.

The new one feels softer, seems like more elastic, but it doesn't. It makes the rubber feels mushy. It does have more zip in the ball speed, but not with the spin. What makes up for it is a fraction of better ball control. I personally still struggling with this mushy feeling

2. Topsheet

The older one is tackier, and from its black color is definitely darker, like real black, whereas the newer one lacks the shine, perhaps more greyish. The way it grips the ball is soooooo much different.

For me, how the old H3P feels is, when I'm just brushing the ball, I can feel the topsheet grips the ball, yet the sponge is stay firm and solid, giving me the best feeling on how much I'm brushing the ball. Engaging the sponge, the sponge acts like a catapult, after the topsheet grips the ball, it is being thrown forward by the compressed sponge.

The new one? I'm not really enjoying it until now, in order to make good grip to the ball, one has to engage both topsheet and sponge. It's a bit faster than the old one, yes, but definitely lacks the grip and elasticity on harder swings

Just my 2 cents
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic