Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Evan Gordon in China

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evan Gordon in China
    Posted: 06/16/2017 at 9:25pm
Hello Table Tennis family,
To all of those that don't know me I'm from Indianapolis, IN, USA. My current rating is somewhere just north of 2200. You can check out USATT if you want the specifics. Anyhow I have just moved to China and I'm currently in Beijing, but I travel all regions in China for business purposes. I will be in China for about a year or so with a few regular trips back to the US from time to time. I just wanted to let all you guys know if anyone is visiting anywhere in China from Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing or anywhere in China let me know if you possibly want to meet up and play or need help finding decent clubs to play in. Also for you EJ's that love Chinese stuff such as myself, I am able to go to the factories and get deals on stuff for big orders for clubs or true table tennis fanatics. But, for all of you that just wanted real sheets of any Chinese rubber, blades, apparel, and anything in between let me know. I know where most of the distribution centers are so the deals are sometimes much better. Pm me if you have any questions. Most that know, I just love the game not interested in making money off of it, I make mine from basketballTongueWink..Not unless I win a tournament. Sometimes I don't check this forum because I am busy. I will try to check it regularly, but you can e-mail me at ecgordon@ecgsport.com. It'll hit my phone and we can all try to play like the great Ma Long.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2017 at 11:53pm
Hi Evan,
This is Robert from hometown, just finished playing at our club. Glad to hear you got a nice contract there, having fun and playing a lot of TT too. Well, take good care of yourself and let us know in advance when you come back home to visit family so that we can hit some balls. I am ready for you to kick me around.
For those of you who don't know Evan and suspect he wants to get filthy rich from TT junks, I can share with you that his brother is Eric Gordon, and Evan is a pro basketball player too. Now you know how serious he is about Money from TT stuff. Evan, you know I am not into the Chinese stuff, but if you can get something from Ma Long, I will take it at half price. Haha, just kidding. Best wishes.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 8:41am
When are you coming back to Houston?  See you on a trip back.
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2017 at 11:09am
PM'd
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2017 at 12:07pm
I'm not sure exactly when, but I will try to make it back and watch some of the Rockets season. Maybe playoff time. I've been so busy, that I haven't really thought that far ahead.. But, I will let you know ahead of time before I come.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2017 at 5:19pm
Hopecully very deep into the playoffs!
fourcourts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourcourts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2017 at 10:45am
Welcome to the forum, E! I don't need any TT equipment but if you can direct me to some cheap Big Baller Brand shoes in China, I would appreciate it. Some ballers are on a budget LOL.

Edited by fourcourts - 06/20/2017 at 3:04pm
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2017 at 10:02am
When you say baller shoes, I'm guessing you mean like basketball shoes. If so, adidas shoes are always a little cheaper than Nike's. Well I guess I'm a little bias because of the Adidas sponsorship but it really depends on your foot and if you want a high top versus low top. A light show or heavier one, and what are you using it for.. Table tennis or basketball?
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2017 at 10:27am
i just checked out on the rating website. i'm very impressed that you improved from 17xx to 22xx in a year. how did you do that? did you train with professionals in some secret camp in Beijing?

another question is that, how difficult or how easy to meet someone at or above your 2200 level in clubs in Beijing? 
thanks and enjoy your stay
Butterfly Kim Taek Soo, T05, T64
I'm not EJ, I'm a blade collector
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2017 at 11:58pm
I will address your second question first. Its a little difficult to find players over 2200 level in China clubs. In China there are two systems of playing here, one being the amateur players because the sport is so popular here. Most of these guys are very amateur such as the US maybe 1400-1800. The only difference is they have been exposed to so much junk rubber and weird styles they feel as if they are a higher level than what they presume. So there amateur level is actually a little higher I believe but not much. The second is the provincial system, in which if you really want to get embarrassed by a 13 year old kid this is the route that you seek. There you will find 2200-2800 from ages 9-18ish. So to answer your question, I've been to many local clubs and beat everyone, or maybe there is 1 player or 2 that are actually nice to play with but maybe some really strange style with illegal service and rubber, but never the less all fun in the game. I feel like there is always a club where one or two of the members are 2100 or so but not often are we there at the same time. But this is everywhere in China.
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 12:49am
Your First question about my improvement, really came from my approach to the game. Firstly anyone that knows me will tell you I put some time in. It was 4 to 5 days a week of playing and practicing Average per week. The second thing is that I think I am humble to the game. This game that we all love is serious the most mind blowing upsetting sport I feel like of all time. Someone can lose to a fat guy or skinny guy an old guy young girl it doesn't matter, all by a few edges and nets. When I mean I take a humble approach, I am honest with myself about what I am deficient in and I improve those areas with a vengeance. I know I am new to the sport, and I have not built up the database of match play and strategy etc. So I rely on my game to just be more dominate than the other person meaning a better short game, a better loop, forehand and backhand, better servers, better counters more consistency better footwork.. All of these are important when these are perfect then you don't loose. But you always run up against someone with something better so when that happens you know you need to be better than that area, weather thats the table game or whatever it maybe. I notice a lot of people hide from the weaknesses instead of improving them. If someone hates medium pip blockers because they can make you work and run etc. These are those people nobody ever wants to play with the anti spin players you know who I'm talking about. These are the players you should play a lot with so you can dominate them and figure out the reason why they give you so much trouble maybe its footwork maybe your strategy in playing them isn't correct. But building up my technical skills and as time comes learning more and adding more strategy is my goal and key.
I also came to china to Train in Zhengding table tennis base in the Hebei Province. You can contact me and I can send people more details but this is an excellent base for training. This is one of those strong programs that I mentioned in the comment above. I came here for 2 1/2 months and learned and worked on my game.
The last thing I will mention is the Coaches that I have had have been tremendous from first to last.
Peter Nguyen New Orleans
Wei Wang in Los Angeles, CA
CT Pham in Indianapolis, Indiana
Richard Hicks Indianapolis, IN
Jian Tan in Indianapolis, Indiana
Hiroe Imai & Satoko Kjos Los Angeles CA
Steve Los Angeles CA I can't remember his last name but an excellent coach I have contact information for him.
Jimmy Butler Houston, TX
Matthew Winkler Phoenix AZ
Li Kei Wei Houston TX
I'm leaving off the Coaches in China because I'm sure if you are serious enough to go to China we shall chat again or anyone on the forum.
Honestly I believe most people can train at great places in the US and get almost the exact same type of training, you don't have to come to china or travel to Europe. I think the reason people gain so much by traveling abroad is because you investing and serious into getting better and there are great practice partners and so fourth here but if you are at your club and practice 1 hour a day 2 or 3 times a week your not exposing your self to different serves and styles and also while people fall in to the category of 1-2 hours a day 3 times a week if that. In a year if you do the math you actually have 312 hours of table time. Versus of someone training in china 6 hours a day 6 days a week in a serious training quality environment and coaching and sometimes its 8 hours in a day. 1,872 hours of table time in a year. When I came to China I was doing 8 hours a day 6 days a week, with a coach watching me and helping so I gain about 2 years of true solid training in the same amount of time it took me 2 1/2 months.
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 12:57am
Shocked
Wow! You have so much time! I wish I could play that much.
I am still a student, so I only manage to play 3-4 hours every day... and only get coaching for an hour every two weeks. I have been playing since 2014, started as a beginner, and am now only at 1900. I guess I need to step it up and train more seriously.
(Blade-FH-BH)
-BBC 1 ply Cypress 10mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.1mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.10mm 37 deg
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 12:59am
I feel like its the same in every sport and everything you do. You can to school everyday to build your mind your work out your body every day to build up your body. Table tennis is the same if you really want to build up your game and improve you need to work at it every day. I mean it doesn't have to be every single day to avoid injury but you can't improve something by working on it a little bit.
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 1:03am
Also, I own my own companies so it allows me to pick and choose where I spend my time. Thats how I had time to come to China and do the training that I do. But those coaches I mentioned are very good, but I didn't take a lot of lessons from any one coach. I have taken a few some more than others but theres a difference between practicing and learning and apply. I think people can get to a good level just they just work on there weakness with a few drills and match play and really work on applying it.
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 4:02pm
thank you very much for sharing, Evan.

Butterfly Kim Taek Soo, T05, T64
I'm not EJ, I'm a blade collector
danseemiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2017 at 8:44am
Hi Evan,
I think your progress is tremendous. Many new players come into the sport believing they can get to 2000 easily. They always fail. You have taken it to a new level. The next step will be hard. Good Luck.
Dan
DS
bars View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 7:38pm
hey Evan 

I heard you switched to tenergy on your bh? what about hurricane on your bh like ma long!

Sean from Phoenix

function d_log(s) { var ev = document.createEvent('events'); ev.initEvent('heartbeat_log', true, false); document.body.setAttribute('heartbeat_attrib', s); document.dispatchEvent(ev); };

Edited by bars - 06/26/2017 at 7:41pm
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 9:05pm
Hey Evan you might bring back a gross of the new DHS 3* poly balls with you if you can find them. Don't get the older ones, but the new ones I've read are really great. I've read from people on here that they are as good as the Nittaku premium balls.

Hope all is going well over in China. Look out next year in the State tournament. 

Best wishes,
Dave
BBC NINE
Joola Rhyzm Tech Max
Victas 102 1.8 mm or Spectol Red 1.8
Keep coming so close to breaking 2200!
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 4:54am
Hey Dave,

I got a good deal on those balls text me or Facebook me. I hit with the ball today, its pretty solid. I think I will continue to use that while my time in China.
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 4:56am
Sean,

I think Tenergy is a great backhand rubber. Ma long used Tenergy last year during the China Open.. I got to hold and see his blade. I think he goes back and forth between different backhand rubber. Either or Hurricane is a great backhand rubber just like its a great forehand rubber if you know how to use it. I don't think my stroke is powerful enough to use on my backhand so i play with Tenergy to give me that extra power, that my forehand generates. Even though I want to play like Ma long I know my limits..
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 8:51am
Congrats to your brother!  Go Rox.

The D40+ is quite solid.  What do they cost in China?
bars View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 5:46pm
Chris Paul in Houston

I see. Also I'm looking to use hurricAne 2 on the forehand ? It has a lower throw. They said Wang liqin used it; were like the same size sooo.

I'm thinking to much 😅😅
Players play

Edited by bars - 06/28/2017 at 8:15pm
allrounder View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2017 at 11:06am
Hi Evan, this is
Oluwole, we played at the monon tournament earlier this year. Hey I was wondering if you can help me find some adidas p7 rubber there in China. I heard it's popular among the pros and some managed to stash large quantities of it before adidas pulled out of tt.   
Let me know what u find out. Thanks in advance.
One point at a time
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2017 at 11:05am
Ok, I will check that out tomorrow and let you know what I find. Direct message your number and we can keep in touch.
Ecg10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecg10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 3:43am
I'm wondering if any one knows Kai Zhang we chat information. I for some reason don't have it anymore and I he told me he would be in Beijing during this time of the year.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 5:16am
i just sent him a message 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic