tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

The strawberry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The strawberry
    Posted: 06/17/2017 at 9:21pm
Am interested to learn this stroke as a useful variation to the chiquita that I like to do... Basically it's similar to a BH sidespin push which has the opposite sidespin to the chiquita...would be useful to know if anyone here uses this stroke regularly and what are the key points to learning it?
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 9:25pm
Why is it called a strawberry?
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 9:32pm
i've got to come up with something called the peaches
Viscaria / H3 / T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Am interested to learn this stroke as a useful variation to the chiquita that I like to do... Basically it's similar to a BH sidespin push which has the opposite sidespin to the chiquita...would be useful to know if anyone here uses this stroke regularly and what are the key points to learning it?

I've never heard of the strawberry, but the boysenberry backhand reverse sidespin push return of serve was regularly used by greats such as Barna and Bergmann back in the day.  You can see the boysenberry employed in the three minute excerpt of Barna-Bergmann 1949 that apparently you have yet to watch.  It still might work today.

P.S.:  Give my regards to Bourke Street
         Remember me to Collins too.
         Tell all the blokes at Swanston and Elizabeth
          That I would like to see you (it's been 23 years).

(BTW, what ever happened to the sports center consisting of a number of quonset huts at Albert Park?)

Try the boysenberry and if you can't master it, go to the strawberry.  No worries.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

i've got to come up with something called the peaches

ROFL.... I think you would have earned the right to name it whatever you want if you do end up inventing a new stroke Wink
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

It's called a strawberry because it's the opposite spin direction of a banana (Chiquita). The first person I ever heard say that was Stefan Feth.

I see a few professionals doing it, Xu Xin does it penhold, several Japanese players, both male and female employ it.

Edited by jfolsen - 06/17/2017 at 9:55pm
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

I'm not entirely sure too, that's what Adam Bobrow called it. I guess it's because we call the BH sidespin flick the chiquita, and this is a corresponding BH sidespin "flick/push" and so he probably just used another random fruit name...  LOL
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2017 at 10:00pm
I can understand how you can get underspin or sidespin from the stroke, but from what I've seen it seems that players who use it (Miu Hirano, few of the French players like Simon Gauzy) have the ability to make it a fast side-topspin receive which is almost like a sidespin flick, and it almost seems to take their opponents by surprise all the time! I'm not so sure how they manage to make it a sidespin flick... 
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2017 at 5:04pm
Thanks!  I thought I was missing a key item of TT vocabulary!
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2017 at 9:02pm
It is called a strawberry because banana was already taken.  I'm starting to use the strawberry with my LP's.  It's a very effective stroke if you can master it.  I think the surprise factor really helps since you can hit it in almost any direction with what looks like the same stroke.  With LP's I need to hit the side/top of the ball. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic