FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Xiom Omega VII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Omega VII
    Posted: 06/19/2017 at 3:08pm
So an update regarding the release of Xiom Omega VII.
OMEGA VII Pro is expected to be in the market officially on November 1st.
Omega VII Europe is tentatively coming in March 2018.
Omega VII Asia is still undergoing testing and does not currently have a release date.

The skipping of Omega 6 was done for marketing purposes.
"OMEGA 7 is by far our greatest accomplishment in rubber, so we felt Omega 6 was not right name for it. We wanted to emphasize that this is whole new rubber. It is a serious jump of technology and table tennis rubber in general."

Omega V Asia is by far the best forehand rubber I have ever used. It's unfortunate that I need to wait so long for Omega VII Asia, probably at least a year from now. I may want to sample one of the earlier iterations, maybe Pro but we'll see.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Sponsored Links

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2017 at 9:14pm
Is it going to be Xiom's version of the Ultra Max Sponge+Thin Topsheet?  I hope they're more original than that.

I've been wanting to try OVA for a long time and one is finally on the way.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

Is it going to be Xiom's version of the Ultra Max Sponge+Thin Topsheet?  I hope they're more original than that.

I've been wanting to try OVA for a long time and one is finally on the way.  

I feel like that's unlikely. I realize "a serious jump in technology" is mostly marketing speak but it does imply that it's going to be different than its competitors.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 7:01am
Yes that makes sense, although if it's going to be an ESN rubber, they can really only choose from their existing technologies, and tweak it to get their own new unique rubber.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 7:21am
Good grief, Xiom really are a little bit crazy.  Skipping a number?  But they really know how to stoke up interest, so fair enough.

If nothing else this move will put a little bit of space between OVII and the glut of ESN releases we've had recently.  There was a risk of being lost in the crowd.

Have to wait and see if it really will be something totally new or just a remix of recent releases.  Delay aside, Xiom have posted a few little teasers on their facebook page over the last few months about the new Omega.  Here's one:

This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 7:37am
Why do they want to release the VII Pro in November when everyone will already have some new rubbers for the new season?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Yes that makes sense, although if it's going to be an ESN rubber, they can really only choose from their existing technologies, and tweak it to get their own new unique rubber.

When you say they need to choose from existing technology do you mean because they need to have characteristics associated with the Omega series to make it fit in and be familiar? If not, why are they required to choose from existing technologies? What prevents them from creating and using something new?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by carbon136 carbon136 wrote:

Why do they want to release the VII Pro in November when everyone will already have some new rubbers for the new season?

Like Andy said, there are a ton of new releases right now. It's a good idea to be releasing something fresh months later when the hype of all of these current rubbers die down.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 8:06am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 2:07pm
Yeah I saw them post this on facebook. The packaging looks amazing but the misspellings in the promotional images is very unprofessional in my opinion,
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Good grief, Xiom really are a little bit crazy.  Skipping a number?

DHS teaches you how to count:

Edited by zeio - 08/16/2017 at 3:13pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2018 at 8:27am
After being stuck in customs for a week, I got sheets of O7P (black, max) and O7E (red, 2.0mm).

I'm surprised by the visual difference in these two.  The reported sponge hardnesses (tt-japan, iruiru) are 47.5 for Pro and 42.5 for Europe, but Europe's sponge is smaller-pored.  The topsheets are also very different, with Europe's pips being much taller and wider.  Pro's topsheet has a wavy, slightly bumpy finish to it (and a sticker on the packaging to reassure you that it passed ITTF guidelines), whereas Europe's topsheet looks more like the even finish you see on Rasanter, for example.  I've just gone through my cupboard and I also see the bumpy finish on my sheet of Bluestorm Z3.  Regardless, if you were expecting O7E to just be O7P with a softer sponge then be aware that they are not.  
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2018 at 9:59am

After being stuck in customs for a week, I got sheets of O7P (black, max) and O7E (red, 2.0mm).

Poor Andy.   Stuck in customs for a week...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Poor Andy.   Stuck in customs for a week...

Brexit Britain is a harsh mistress.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 10:57am
OK, first 2 hour session is in the bag.  These are good rubbers, and feel like a step up in some ways in comparison to others that I've tried or am using at the moment.

Of the two, O7E seems more typical of the recent ESN releases.  It's pretty solid in feel for 42.5 degrees, spins well without excelling, and is rock-solid for usability.  It didn't stand out as remarkable in any particular way.  My usual BH rubber is Rasanter V42, and O7E isn't miles away from that.  It seems to grab the ball a little better, throws a little higher, has around the same speed and catapult.  I compared to R42 as well, and R42 feels loose and flyaway in comparison (as does Bluestorm Z3).  My early first impression is that it's a slight upgrade on V42 in terms of spin, easier to open up against backspin, slightly more spin sensitive and slightly better when playing active topspin strokes.  I liked it a lot, but if it comes in at a higher price point than V42 then I would have to ask myself if it's worth the extra cash because the differences, while there, aren't major.

O7P is a different beast though.  Whereas O7E feels more like what passes for typical ESN these days (although a good example of it), I can't find a decent lazy comparison for O7P (although I haven't tried Rhyzer or the harder Bluestorms).  My usual FH rubber is R47 and O7P is a shade faster without being overwhelming, more catapult, slightly softer feel.  It's a lot easier to generate arc on medium effort shots with O7P in comparison with some super-linear medium-hard ESNs like R47, MX-S.  The topsheet is hard to put my finger on - it produces more spin on most active shots than R47, and yet I still didn't feel like it was any more spin sensitive in the short game.  I didn't expect that to be possible to be honest, but there it is.  If I compare to Aurus Prime, O7P is slightly slower (Prime has a lot of catapult, and I found it to be too fast for me) but has much more spin potential with less effort.  Whereas I question the value for money of O7E, I would be tempted to spend a little more to use O7P at this early stage.  I did send some bigger shots long, but I'm used to having to but some welly into R47 and some small adjustments will be needed if I wanted to stick with it.  A better litmus test is to use it under pressure in a league match, so I may just do that this week.

I'm surprised by Pro, and I can see where the comparisons to Adidas P7 come from in yogi's posts.  It's capable of great spin and good arc without huge effort, but has an unusually laid back and easy going short game.  Quite spooky.  I've been very happy with the rasanters for the whole season, but unlike other rubbers I've dabbled with these two are seriously tempting.  I still don't see it as a nailed-on option for people who need a lot of catapult (I'm thinking MX-P users here), but it would be a better fit than R47 for sure.
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 10:56pm
Andy, thnx! As a Prime user, I've read your notes very carefully. Do you see why Yogi think that OVIIP is a great option for BH? Cause I hardly see Prime as a BH rubber. Too furious for my liking.       
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2018 at 4:27am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

Andy, thnx! As a Prime user, I've read your notes very carefully. Do you see why Yogi think that OVIIP is a great option for BH? Cause I hardly see Prime as a BH rubber. Too furious for my liking.       

Yes, I can totally see that.  When I tried Aurus I found it behaved well in the short game, but on power shots I was putting the ball in the car park.  I'm sure it suits other players (better players) than myself, but way too much for me.

O7P doesn't appear to have that brutal kick to it, and because it spins up so well it handles the more technical stuff too.  It's probably a touch too hard for my BH (now I'm curious about O7 Asia when it comes out, 45 degrees), but if you're in the market for a spinny, medium-hard, medium-high arc, fast but not insane rubber then it's well worth a look.

I think the P7 comparison is a good one in this case.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2018 at 12:34pm
Aurus Prime is so good for BH esp in max as the feeling is a lot more dwelly vs MXP and T05! Considering moving to T05 on FH for more grip and higher throw though...
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Aurus Prime is so good for BH esp in max as the feeling is a lot more dwelly vs MXP and T05! Considering moving to T05 on FH for more grip and higher throw though...

It's just too fast for me, but you're higher level Kev so it fits you more I'm sure.

More grip and higher throw is definitely T05. I'd usually say O7P is an option too, but it doesn't save you much money over Tenergy and it's early days so I'm not sure yet. It's doubly hard to say because it really does feel a bit different to other esn rubbers so comparisons are a touch harder than usual.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2018 at 2:20pm
Could somebody compare O7E vs Vega Europe vs Vega Asia DF?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 9:10am
I've had 2 more training sessions and 1 league match with the 7P/7E setup.

Comparing the hardness of the rubbers side-by-side is interesting.  7E plays harder than the advertised 42.5, and 7P plays softer than 47.5.  The topsheets are really different, and the sponges have different porosity, so it all adds up I guess.

7E is growing on me.  I tried it on both wings and although it lacks a little bit in terms of speed and spin in comparison with 7P, it feels very solid and reliable.  For me, it's a little faster/harder than my usual BH V42, but has a lot more spin and it's a lot easier to manipulate arc and shot depth.  OTOH, it's so much more stable than R42 and other spinny, catapulty, soft rubbers that it becomes very easy to use, considering the results.  I'm tempted to use it on both sides.

7P however is exposing some of my own flaws.  While it has a pretty tame short game, the middle gears feel very fluid and rich.  This helps when on the offensive in most cases, but I'm finding that I'm sending some basic shots high and long.  And then really hard shots flatten out a bit (I'm OK with that).  This probably comes down to me being so used to R47 on the FH side - I'm adding muscle to these half-effort strokes out of habit I think.  I spent an hour last night making a conscious effort to relax my arm during these shots and everything dropped into place.  The outcome was very good but I'm not sure I want to commit to the change at this stage of my season (5 league fixtures left, division is very tight).  It's a fairly chunky change to make, whereas 7E plays more like what I imagine a mythical Rasanter R45 would play like and is a much easier switch for me to make.

O7E against VE - O7E feels harder, and with that comes later catapult.  O7E has a faster basic speed, lower bounciness, slightly better spin generation (and higher spin sensitivity), more linear.  The topsheet is the more recent matte type, VE has the older "shiny" ESN topsheet, and I'm personally less happy with 40+ balls when using the older topsheets but it's a personal thing.

O7E against VA-DF.  It's been a while since I used VA-DF, but from memory the overall hardness of O7E is higher (the VA-DF topsheet is particularly soft).  O7E's spin is much better and the arc feels higher, overall speed is probably similar but I'll give O7E the edge.  VA-DF drives/blocks very well and is less sensitive to spin though.

In all comparisons, it's well worth bearing in mind that the O7 series is expensive and durability is a bit of an unknown at this point.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 9:55am
Yes, this is my experience as well - you can play pretty effortless with 07P on an all+ blade - the rubber is that fast.  Coming from MX-S, that is a nightmare as I overhit too many balls but that said, I like the rubber a lot and think it is a genuine innovation.  Can't wait for the harder sponges for either O7A or O7T to come out and then I might have something that doesn't feel as radical to use.  But compared to other fast rubbers, this isn't just a speed monster - the spin is definitely there.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 10:45am
I had the same thought about O7A and O7T as well, but then the initial catalog listings said that they were 45 and 55 degrees respectively.  So Asia will be softer than Pro (at least, for the sponge), and Tour will be setting new records I presume.

But honestly - Xiom are nuts.  Their names change all the time, and O7E's topsheet is really different to O7P's, so it's incredibly difficult to predict what Asia and Tour will be like this time.  You could open the rubber packet and tell me that a live dove escaped and flew away and I would only be mildly surprised.
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 11:19am
Do either of these seem like a logical upgrade for Vega Japan? I believe VJ has a 45 degree sponge. The only other Xiom rubbber I tried after settling on VJ was OVT and decided it's wasn't worth switching to for my game. I play modern defense, so I have slightly different needs from my forehand rubber. I need something that chops well while also allowing good offensive capabilities. Vega Japan has been able to give that to me. Do O7P or O7E play similarly to VJ?
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

Do either of these seem like a logical upgrade for Vega Japan? I believe VJ has a 45 degree sponge. The only other Xiom rubbber I tried after settling on VJ was OVT and decided it's wasn't worth switching to for my game. I play modern defense, so I have slightly different needs from my forehand rubber. I need something that chops well while also allowing good offensive capabilities. Vega Japan has been able to give that to me. Do O7P or O7E play similarly to VJ?

My first instinct is no.  O7P is really different to VJ.  I'm not a chopping expert by any means but to me it might be too high arc, spin-sensitive and so on.

O7E is closer in that it's more linear, lower throw, etc.  But it's a little softer and maybe faster than VJ.  It could be that Asia will do what you want, but one worth watching in the next month or so will be Vega Tour, supposedly 45 degrees as well.  Should be cheaper than Omega 7, bit slower maybe.  On paper I wonder if that will be the updated VJ you're after...

Edited by AndySmith - 02/06/2018 at 11:46am
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 12:07pm
Quote Yes, this is my experience as well - you can play pretty effortless with 07P on an all+ blade - the rubber is that fast. Coming from MX-S, that is a nightmare as I overhit too many balls but that said, I like the rubber a lot and think it is a genuine innovation. Can't wait for the harder sponges for either O7A or O7T to come out and then I might have something that doesn't feel as radical to use. But compared to other fast rubbers, this isn't just a speed monster - the spin is definitely there.

You might wanna try the Rhyzer 48

Edited by h0n1g - 02/06/2018 at 12:08pm
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 1:01pm
is 07P lower throw then R47?
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 1:59pm
Reading your guys's thoughts on the O7P, the combo Rhyzer 48 FH and O7P BH might be a winning combo.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

Reading your guys's thoughts on the O7P, the combo Rhyzer 48 FH and O7P BH might be a winning combo.

h0n1g, Can you post your review on the Rhyzer 48 somewhere on this forum? 
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 2:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic