Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Xiom Omega VII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LennyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 7:17pm
Can somebody compare O7P to O5A?
Thanks
USATT 1700
Donic Waldner WC89
Xiom Omega V Asia
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by LennyG LennyG wrote:

Can somebody compare O7P to O5A?
Thanks

I'll be writing a review for 7 Pro  and 7 Euro. 5 Asia is my forehand rubber of choice so I'll be sure to compare it. I just started testing Euro first. Look out for my review probably by the beginning of March. It will be up on the tabletennis11 blog but I'll be sure to post a link to it here.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
elefant1975 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote elefant1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 3:30am
$43.43 now
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/xiom-omega-vii-euro
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by elefant1975 elefant1975 wrote:

$43.43 now
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/xiom-omega-vii-euro
Pro is the better rubber of the two.  When that goes on sale, it's time to buy.
Xiom Haybusa Zxi
FH: Xiom Omega IV Elite
BH: Xiom Omega VI Europe
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 10:34pm
I would just go all out with pro vii. Almost same control but pro is better in everything.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2018 at 1:25pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

New review for Omega VII Pro and Euro:
http://blog.tabletennis11.com/xiom-omega-vii-pro-and-euro-review

the reviewer's rating was 1358 two years ago, wondering what's his level now.
EJ-turned blade collector
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2018 at 12:19pm
I'd prefer the other reviewer.
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2018 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by photino photino wrote:

I'm playing at approximately an 1800 level
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2018 at 2:26pm

Originally posted by photino photino wrote:

I'm playing at approximately an 1800 level

Oh, Thank you. That's big improvement! Keep it on!
EJ-turned blade collector
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 11:55am

Xiom Omega VII Euro and Xiom Omega Pro VII Pro: Xiom’s Omega VII Euro and Pro rubbers were some of the most hotly anticipated rubber arrivals of early 2018. Akin to other recent high-end rubber offerings (Donic Bluestorm, Tibhar Aurus Prime/Select, Andro Rasanter), the Omega VII rubbers have a very thin top-sheet and a very thick sponge when selected in maximum thickness. According to the marketing material, the use of Xiom’s newest technologies (i.e., ELASTO FUTURA, CYCLOID, DYNAMIC FRICTION, and the black CARBO SPONGE), results in a significantly higher ball arc with improved clearance over the net, and a longer shot length, along with improved connectivity and spin dynamics. The characteristics of the Omega VII Euro (O7E) rubber are quantified as having a catapult effect of 9.0-9.5, clicking ball of 9.0, speed at 9.0, spin of 9.0, and precision of 8.5-9.0 on a scale to 10, whereas the Omega VII Pro (O7P) is described as being slightly faster and livelier, less spinny, and more controlled with a catapult effect of 9.0-9.5, clicking ball of 8.5-9.0, speed of 9.0-9.5, spin of 8.5-9.0, and precision of 9.0.

The O7E and O7P come in high-quality thick cardboard that is kept in purple, blue, and silver color tones. A description of key Xiom technologies (Dynamic Friction, Cycloid, and Carbo Sponge) are provided on the back, along with key rubber characteristics. Additional rubber characteristics are provided on the inside of the cardboard cover. Both rubbers have a black sponge that has a prominent sweet booster smell. O7E has medium-large pores, whereas the O7P has large pores. Both rubbers have sparkly topsheets and feel very grippy but are non-tacky. The pips of both rubbers are short and wide with a cylindrical shape. Neither rubber has a dome. The uncut O7E weighs 62 grams (170 x 169 mm) whereas the O7P weighs in at 67 grams (170 x 170 mm). Cut to the 157 x 150 mm test blade, the O7E weighs only 44 grams, whereas the O7P weighs 47 grams.

Unboxing video Euro: https://youtu.be/qbXyjpzcms8  

Unboxing video Pro: https://youtu.be/c92Z7JzYAK8

Testing procedure: I tested the brand-new and unboosted Xiom Omega VII rubbers (black, max) on a Nittaku Ludeack  blade, which has a classic 7-ply limba-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-limba construction. I used a well-worn sheet of Spinlord Waran 2  short pips in my BH (2.0 mm, red). I attached the rubbers using the Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue and tested the set-up over four sessions, playing drills and practice matches, as well as league matches. The DHS D40+ 3* plastic balls  were used throughout the tests.

Playing impressions Omega VII Euro – a fun, soft and lightweight looping rubber with an enormous catapult: Even before hitting the first rally, I noticed how feather light the rubber is. My entire test setup weighed 167 grams, which is at least 7 grams lighter than my regular setups. The first couple of FH drives indicated that the Xiom Omega VII Euro offers a fun, medium-soft and almost speed-glue like feeling. FH drives close to the table are crisp, very fast, yet controlled. The prominent catapult renders FH drives from mid-distance near effortless, and it was a lot of fun to slam away 1-2 meters behind the table. FH loops executed with compact medium-fast arm movements is where this rubber truly shines, producing a loud clicking sound and very dynamic feeling. These loops are very fast considering how little physical effort is going into the shot. It is easy to execute FH loops with excellent control, depth, and a medium-high throw angle, which provides ample clearance over the net. However, the soft nature and catapult increase the risk of overshooting the table. Slow opening loops against backspin are also easy due to the rubber’s high throw angle and the topsheet’s grippy nature, but lack a couple of percent in spin levels compared to harder top-end rubbers. I cannot put my finger on why this is, perhaps too much catapult and too short dwell time for generation of friction? FH loop-drives executed with fast arm action reveal the limitations of the rubber’s soft sponge. While they are easy to execute, they lack a little in penetrating power (mostly spin) relative to harder rubbers like Tibhar’s Evolution MX-P. High-level FH loops might cause the rubber to bottom out. However, this will probably not be a problem for most players, who instead will be enjoying the great sensation of the Omega VII Euro. I had lower control on topspin-to-topspin rallies than with other rubbers. Sometimes I overshoot the table, while on other occasions the ball got stuck in the net. I think this is because the sponge is brought to its physical compression limits on these shots. BH looping with this rubber feels great. The rubber’s catapult, medium-high throw, and clicking sound provide power and instill confidence on these shots. Considering the Omega VII Euro’s soft feeling and prominent catapult, it provides a surprisingly direct and controlled feeling when blocking loops from very high-level hitting partners. Passive blocking is also facilitated by a lack of sensitivity against incoming spin. Active blocking and counter top-spinning requires good timing. The Omega VII Euro provides sufficient speed to decide points outright on flat hits but is not as fast as with other and typically harder top-end rubbers. Short service returns and drop shots are probably the Omega VII Euro’s weakest points as the prominent catapult can render it challenging to lay the ball short and low. Soft and relaxed hands are necessary for high-quality execution of these shots. Aggressive service returns, on the other hand, are quite easy to execute with the Omega VII Euro, aided the grippy topsheet and lack of sensitivity for incoming spin. I was able to confidently go through my repertoire of serves. The spin is respectable but a couple of percent below other high-end rubbers.

The Xiom Omega VII Euro is a fun rubber to play and an improvement over the corresponding Xiom Omega V Euro rubber which I found too mushy. It offers a similar feeling as the Tibhar Aurus Select. The O7E is suitable as a FH rubber for intermediate to advanced players; expert players will likely long for harder sponges with greater compression potential. I think the rubber may have a broader appeal as a BH rubber since typically less power is generated with the BH (reducing the risk for overshooting). The built-in catapult, medium-high throw, and prominent clicking sound will be helpful. Finally, the very low weight of the O7E will appeal to skilled kids and other players who prefer light equipment.  

Playing impressions Omega VII Pro – a modern offensive rubber for the very advanced player: As expected, the Omega VII Pro offers a firmer feeling than the O7E on FH drives, with less catapult and sound. As a result, FH drives feel more controlled despite the rubber’s high inherent speed. Just like with the Euro version, I had a lot of fun stepping 1-2 meters behind the table, playing fast FH drives. Opening FH loops against heavy backspin are easy to execute as the top-sheet firmly grips the plastic ball. Since the rubber is harder and lower-throwing than the Euro version, a more open angle is required to ensure sufficient clearance of the net. Medium-impact FH loops feel more controlled with the Pro than with the Euro version since the catapult is less pronounced. Quite simply, the user has more control over the amount of power that is generated with this rubber. This becomes particularly obvious on very high-impact FH loops and loop-drives, which can be played with greater confidence and consistency than with the Euro version due to the harder overall feel. There is plenty of power to engage in topspin-to-topspin far from the table, but at that distance, the flatter ball trajectory leaves a smaller margin for errors. At times it was unclear when I needed to add a lot of physical effort and when the catapult would take over. The rubber is plenty fast and allows for efficient smashes and flat kill shorts. The firmer nature of the Pro version has beneficial ramifications for passive and active blocking, which feel solid and controlled. More kinetic energy can be absorbed relative to the Euro version and quickly redirected in the direction of choice. Blocking is facilitated by a low sensitivity towards incoming spin. The firm sponge and low spin sensitivity is also beneficial on passive service receives and drop shots, which can be played low and short, as well as, on aggressive service returns since the rubber’s more subdued nature minimizes the risk of overshooting the table. The Xiom Omega VII Pro allows the entire spectrum of serves to be played with respectable levels of spin and speed where need, but as with the Euro version, it felt like spin levels were slightly below other hard high-end rubbers.

Of the two Xiom Omega VII rubbers, the Pro version caters players who rely more on their physical prowess to generate power on their shots. The harder overall feeling of the O7P instills greater confidence on loop drives, topspin-to-topspin rallies, and high-level blocking than the O7E, but perhaps is a little less ‘fun’ to play with. In my opinion, the O7P is better suited as a FH rubber for very high-level players.

Thank you to tabletennis11.com for providing me these rubbers.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 04/03/2018 at 12:52pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 11:59am
Great reviews, many thanks.

+100 points for "compression potential".  I like that.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 12:04pm
Great reviews. (Links don't seem to be clickable, fixed below)

Unboxing video Euro: 

Unboxing video Pro: 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 1:34pm
Patrick I'm glad to see we mostly agree. The only thing I found to be noticeably different in our opinion of these rubbers were comments on blocking.

I can absolutely see how you would consider Pro to be easier to block than Euro since it is less bouncy than Euro. Though for me, the harder the sponge, the more difficult it is for me to block. This is a personal quirk and I made sure to indicate this in my review.

Also as I stated, the fortes of these rubbers aren't blocking and there are better blocking rubbers out there. The good part about blocking with these rubbers is that well executed blocks are quite fast if done properly. This applies to both Pro and Euro.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Alx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 9:27pm
Very good review. I’ll also be posting one for sale barely used in the sale section shortly if anyone’s interested to test this rubber out.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 11:51pm
I don't like this review very much as they decided to try the rubber on a blade that plays very differently than their own blades. Very difficult to gauge spin and speed of rubber then.

Edited by slevin - 04/25/2018 at 11:52pm
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 12:37am
Yeah they always do that for some reason. Really makes most TTD reviews completely useless
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 6:52am
Add that to the fact they never really call out equipment as being 'bad' or 'not suited for most players.'

Its either complimentary, or very complimentary.

Also, them looping a billion times with each rubber is nice, but its not really telling us what they are struggling with.

They do try to say whats on their mind in terms of what they like about the rubber so you can kinda get a feel that the rubber is fast/spinny/good for x or y, but i feel they don't accentuate enough the tradeoffs some rubbers have [i.e the negatives] as much. You've to decipher that by what aspects they fail to mention / praise.

PythonMonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PythonMonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 10:16am
Consider that (1) they probably only publish reviews for products they like; (2) they have so much experience trying different equipment that they can easily adjust for different blade/rubber combinations and give accurate assessments; (3) it's fair to test new rubber at its best, which is presumably on blades from the same manufacturer for which is was designed. True, it would be interesting to test it on different standard blades, to assess its durability over time, etc., but that's a lot more work to ask of reviewers who are providing these reviews free of charge. 
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2018 at 9:03pm
I think that when they get a pro in, the review will be published no matter what.

I'm not sure if its TT-11 or the manufacturer providing the testing eqpment, but in either case, both would prefer a positive review, even if they put no pressure / don't say as much.

For the store [tt11] it'll mean more sales, and same for if the manufacturer is providing [better reviews --> better sales].

I did enjoy the reviews and think they are cool, just of rather limited use imo.

Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2018 at 5:14am
You can look at this review this way: they emohasize on the good side of the rubber. They are plenty of rubbers and blades out there, we only look for a special feature in a blade or rubber. Once found, we say this is so good. The weakenesses dont bother us. And so on. Dan and tom are soo good in highlightening the goodness in an equipment.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2018 at 12:59pm
Played with Xiom Omega VII for the first time yesterday (on ZX1 Feel) and at this point I have quite mixed feelings about it. I will give it another practice to formulate my verdict...at this point I can certainly say that switching to Omega VII from Omega V's (Tour/Pro/Asia) is not that straightforward and requires adjustment.

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2018 at 12:14am
Xiom Omega VII Asia available in June @ TT11!
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Xiom Omega VII Asia available in June @ TT11!

I'm looking forward to testing it out myself!
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 1:11pm
Played with the new Omega VII Asia for a couple hours last night. 71g uncut, 49g cut. Glued one sheet to the OSP Ultimate II and kept the Omega V Asia on the other side.  Didn't run it through the gamut of strokes yet but it has a very similar feel, for the most part you won't have to make any major adjustments. The slight increase in sponge thickness gives it slightly more catapult but not so much as to make it uncontrollable.  It's hard to quantify how much of a boost in speed but I'd guesstimate it around 5% or so.  I wasn't hitting/blocking the balls off the table any more than usual.  The topsheet is slightly thinner and feels a little bit grippier.  Loops seemed to be as spinny as OVA, maybe slightly more so.  Could be my imagination but counterlooping seemed to be easier, the ball seemed to dip quicker allowing me to keep a rally going longer.  For me, OVA took about 10-20 hours of break in so I'll give OVIIA a few more sessions before posting more.  For now, initial impressions are that if you like Omega V Asia, you will like Omega VII Asia.  
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 8:34am
There will not be an omega 7 tour?

A shame. Looking for something like my 05T, except lighter. Setup is currently 194g, as i have an mxp that has freehold rights on the FH
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 8:48am
There will be Omega 7 Tour.  Don't know when they plan to release it.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 2:22pm
 Omega VII Asia

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82839&PID=1028911
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 2:22pm
I will be having Omega VII Tour end of June

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic