Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

CNT players against reform and support LGL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

"You mean there is no political freedom. There is freedom there, a lot more than North America in some aspects. Go visit it on an extended trip if you get a chance."  hope you were being funny !
Of course he is, just watch the video clip he provided... at the end they wonder what is the chaos there vs what personal freedoms are.
BTW, personal freedom is a loose term.
thanks, I will  check  the video

I travel to China a lot.  The video is how I see it there too.  One of the freedoms there that I like is that I feel 100% perfectly safe wherever I go*. That is not true everywhere in the world, including some parts of the city in the US where I live.  I definitely don't feel particularly safe in Mexico, a place that borders on my state in the US.  I feel very safe in Europe, pretty much everywhere I go.  Actually, in western and central Europe the interesting thing is that I don't even feel particularly foreign.  In China I feel very foreign, people certainly treat me as such (in some places I go, people point and stare because they only very very rarely see a non-Chinese).  In China, I definitely try very hard to keep a low profile, which in practice means I never ever discuss politics with people, even my friends.  I enjoy the food, the sights, the relaxing times at a tea house, or playing ping pong.  I am cognizant of being sure to never do anything that could ever be construed as suspicious.  For example, one of my friends in China likes mountains and thinks my wife and I should go with him on our next trip to see Tibet.  Over and above the fact that I have strong feelings about Tibet that out of politeness I would not share with a Chinese person in China, I am 100% certain that the Chinese government would view any attempt on my part to travel there to Tibet or to Xinjiang as suspicious and provocative and I don't want to provoke anyone.  And make no mistake, the Chinese government monitors movements of all foreigners in China.  There are great things to see in China without going to those places so it doesn't bother me (but I can go anywhere in, say, France, without any such qualm).  Chinese people are generally friendly to me, but Chinese policemen don't look very welcoming and I want nothing to ever do with them.  Mostly on a day to day basis, I can do pretty much whatever I want to do, and seem to be able to move completely freely within the city where I am at.  I just make sure that I take a postcard from the hotel I am staying because if you can't read Chinese, it is really really easy to get lost.

* being in a car in China can be terrifying, though.  People are insane drivers and the only rule is that there are no rules.         
piligrim View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 6:05pm
I see some contradictions here

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

One of the freedoms there that I like is that I feel 100% perfectly safe wherever I go.

In China I feel very foreign, people certainly treat me as such (in some places I go, people point and stare because they only very very rarely see a non-Chinese).

In China, I definitely try very hard to keep a low profile, which in practice means I never ever discuss politics with people, even my friends. 

I would not share with a Chinese person in China, I am 100% certain that the Chinese government would view any attempt on my part to travel there to Tibet or to Xinjiang as suspicious and provocative and I don't want to provoke anyone. 

the Chinese government monitors movements of all foreigners in China. 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 6:14pm
Not exactly.  I meant that people aren't going to shoot me or rob me in China.  Walking around on foot in a dark alley in Beijing or Chengdu at 2:00 in the morning is perfectly safe (I have done it, actually). You probably wouldn't want to do that in Houston near to where two of the largest TT clubs are located (I would very much advise against it). But I don't do things that would piss off the government because in that sense China is not a free country.  China was closed for a long time and in some of the remoter areas where I have been, people have never seen foreigners.  I don't think what I wrote was that cryptic.

If I know my political view would lead to an argument that would never be resolved and if I am a visitor in a foreign country, well I just don't discuss it.  It is just being a good traveler I think.  Funny thing is that in France I almost always end up talking about politics with friends there. 

The contradictions you see are actually a bit informative, they are kind of the point I was trying to get across. 
piligrim View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 6:37pm
I was mean its not freedom if you feel very foreign, try very hard to keep a low profile, Chinese government monitors movements of all foreigners in China
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 6:41pm
Back to the original tenor of this thread:

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/1000398/china-table-tennis-in-turmoil-as-top-players-no-show-in-protest

The Chinese Sports Administration has condemned the actions of three star table tennis players who purposely missed their games on Friday in protest of their coach’s removal from the national team.

Ma Long, Fan Zhendong, and Xu Xin, the world’s top three male players, did not show up for their scheduled second-round matches at the Seamaster 2017 ITTF World Tour China Open in Chengdu, giving their opponents forfeit wins, according to the website of the International Table Tennis Federation.

Their surprising absence was preceded by near-identical Weibo microblog posts from the three players and two of their coaches that read, “We have no desire to fight now … all because we miss you, Liu Guoliang.”

Liu is a former grand slam champion who had been the coach of China’s men’s table tennis team since 2003. Besides leading the team to sweep most international competitions during his tenure, Liu was also known as an amiable and inspiring personality.

In April, Liu was reappointed head coach of China’s table tennis team. But on Tuesday, state news agency Xinhua reported that he was relieved from his coaching duties due to “restructuring.” Instead, it was announced that he would become a vice president of the Chinese Table Tennis Association. While the move was in theory a promotion, many questioned the association’s motives because it already has 18 vice presidents.

Liu’s transfer follows the suspension last month of Kong Linghui, head of the women’s table tennis team, over a gambling debt scandal.

On Saturday evening the Chinese Table Tennis Association released a statement expressing its disappointment about the players’ actions. The organization also gave further explaination about the decision to change Liu’s job, saying that following Kong’s suspension, “the organization conducted a thourough investigation into the incident, which led to the uncovering of many problems at the administrative level.”

A day earlier the Chinese Sports Administration had also published a statement in which it condemned the players’ actions. “Forfeiting without permission shows no regard for the athletes’ ethical code and personal integrity, or for the glory and interests of the country,” it said.

Friday’s boycott sent China’s social media into a frenzy, with many netizens supporting the players’ decisions. Fang Liufang, a professor at China University of Political Science and Law, posted on Weibo that the national team should be proud of the players because they dared to express their opinions in spite of the risks. Wang Meng, a sports commentator, said on his Weibo that while he appreciated the players’ spirit, he did not appreciate their way of expressing it.

By Friday evening, the posts by the players and coaches had been deleted, and the comment sections under articles about the story had been disabled. “You won against the world,” read one highly upvoted comment in response to the news, “but lost against your own country.”

Read the last paragraph.  It requires no further comment.

Edited by berndt_mann - 06/25/2017 at 6:45pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I was mean its not freedom if you feel very foreign, try very hard to keep a low profile, Chinese government monitors movements of all foreigners in China

Yes. That is definitely part of what I tried to convey.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 9:15pm
"The umpire is always right. The umpire is right even if actually wrong." - Liu Guoliang

What happened to that?

You dare go against the authority? Here is your red card. Out you go.

Their move gave the administration the perfect excuse to make that statement(accusation), that there are real problems within the team, which aggravated the situation.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 9:35pm

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

"You mean there is no political freedom. There is freedom there, a lot more than North America in some aspects. Go visit it on an extended trip if you get a chance."  hope you were being funny !
Of course he is, just watch the video clip he provided... at the end they wonder what is the chaos there vs what personal freedoms are.
BTW, personal freedom is a loose term.
thanks, I will  check  the video

I travel to China a lot.  The video is how I see it there too.  One of the freedoms there that I like is that I feel 100% perfectly safe wherever I go*. That is not true everywhere in the world, including some parts of the city in the US where I live.  I definitely don't feel particularly safe in Mexico, a place that borders on my state in the US.  I feel very safe in Europe, pretty much everywhere I go.  Actually, in western and central Europe the interesting thing is that I don't even feel particularly foreign.  In China I feel very foreign, people certainly treat me as such (in some places I go, people point and stare because they only very very rarely see a non-Chinese).  In China, I definitely try very hard to keep a low profile, which in practice means I never ever discuss politics with people, even my friends.  I enjoy the food, the sights, the relaxing times at a tea house, or playing ping pong.  I am cognizant of being sure to never do anything that could ever be construed as suspicious.  For example, one of my friends in China likes mountains and thinks my wife and I should go with him on our next trip to see Tibet.  Over and above the fact that I have strong feelings about Tibet that out of politeness I would not share with a Chinese person in China, I am 100% certain that the Chinese government would view any attempt on my part to travel there to Tibet or to Xinjiang as suspicious and provocative and I don't want to provoke anyone.  And make no mistake, the Chinese government monitors movements of all foreigners in China.  There are great things to see in China without going to those places so it doesn't bother me (but I can go anywhere in, say, France, without any such qualm).  Chinese people are generally friendly to me, but Chinese policemen don't look very welcoming and I want nothing to ever do with them.  Mostly on a day to day basis, I can do pretty much whatever I want to do, and seem to be able to move completely freely within the city where I am at.  I just make sure that I take a postcard from the hotel I am staying because if you can't read Chinese, it is really really easy to get lost.

* being in a car in China can be terrifying, though.  People are insane drivers and the only rule is that there are no rules.         
Baal, thanks for sharing this. As I go through some learning process about China and (mostly) the language, on the way I have come across some thoughts of others that have been fully in line with what you wrote. It is all very true. BTW, I kind of envy you the connection there Wink .
Let's hope these great Chinese players get a chance to vindicate themselves, for the good of TT in the world.
(1) Stiga Cipper Wood (ST, 92 g) with Focus 3 Snipe (red, 2.1 mm, 42 deg) on FH and 0.6mm Dr N. Desperado on BH (2) Juic SBA (Fl, 94 g) with Nimbus Soft (red max) on FH and 0.5mm Curl P1R on BH
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 9:45pm
This Gou Zhongwen guy is a perfect case study of the weakness of inbred totalitarian systems. Among other things he wants to pursue the possibility of field hockey players taking up ice hockey.

He has had a lot of jobs in the Party. He has no background at all in sports, but now he is head of the sports ministry and the Chinexe national Olympic Committee.

I would laugh except these days here in the US....
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 9:45pm
I heard the power struggle between Director Gou and Cai that affected LGL and his team will be resolved soon by Director Gou's loss and probably step down from his current position. The social media surely played a critical role on channeling the anger and protest against improper move and timing of the bureaucrats and his minions. We will see how things pan out.
RPB Rocks!
HH3 | DHS NEO TG3 | Nittaku Fastarc P1

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 9:46pm
Taxi drivers in China are all like super humans. They drive with their backs off the seat.

Unlike the US, the worst you get out of a road rage is a good scare.

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 10:33pm
Guo Zhongwen has an unusual theory that on Google gets translated as "cross-border" which as best as I can tell means that he thinks people in different sports can just cross over to the benefit of both (the kind of Maoist thinking that permeated the Cultural Revolution, which posits that proper ideology can solve any problem).  Following this theory, he just appointed a Taekwondo champion named Chen Liren to be head coach of the women's national soccer team.

Here it is in Chinese but you can use Google translate.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/china/womenfootballs/2017-06-26/doc-ifyhmtcf2883824.shtml

Here are some key parts [where I have annotated the translation a bit by adding context]:

Taekwondo coach in charge of women's football? It sounds incredible, but it is also consistent with the views of the Director General Gou Zhongwen. Gou Zhongwen participated in the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, said the reform is the future of China's sports development of the main theme. He believes that the current problem of Chinese sports is mainly institutional problems, in the planning system and the market system of serious collision stage, the moment we have no other way to go, or to take the road of reform....  [to be honest I have no idea what this part means, is it a problem of Google translate or is it nonsense in Chinese too?].

In addition to the field hockey players mentioned earlier [taking up ice hockey], as well as shooting athletes being encourage to compete in biathlon [A Winter Olympic sport in which people ski and shoot], from the summer projects to find ways to speed up the popularization of winter projects, for cross-border effect [in other words to try to get athletes in summer Olympic sports to compete in Winter Olympic sports also] Gou Zhongwen said 'We do not have to worry, [why settle for] four gold medals, when twelve gold medals are possible [by having summer athletes win winter sports too?].

This raises the interesting question of who he will find to be the "lead" coach of the table tennis team, assuming he keeps his job.  Maybe it will be figure skaters or something.
Iskandar Taib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iskandar Taib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

Suspension of someone as young as FZD would be really sad. He has been in the CNT since he was 13. What would he do other than TT?

Move to Europe and start playing for, say, Slovakia. 

Iskandar
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 11:01pm
There is a little tiny kernel of truth to these things. There have been gold medal speed skaters who were also world class cyclists. People have played multiple professional sports, such as basketball and baseball or football at the top level.

Many years ago Fred Perry managed to win the table tennis world championships and win Wimbledon. But I think the racket sports are just too specialized these days.

And I don't think this will work across the board.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 11:02pm
"Guo Zhongwen has an unusual theory that on Google gets translated as "cross-border" which as best as I can tell means that he thinks people in different sports can just cross over to the benefit of both (the kind of Maoist thinking that permeated the Cultural Revolution, which posits that proper ideology can solve any problem).  Following this theory, he just appointed a Taekwondo champion named Chen Liren to be head coach of the women's national soccer team."

He's wrong. His theory would mean the majority of Olympic gold medallists would be gold medallists in different sports. As far as I can remember some Gold medallists get multiple medals in very similar disciplines. I only recall one person winning gold medals in completely different sports, but that is very very unusual. This theory though would mean that MOST gold medallists would be getting multiple gold medals in an assortment of sports. That does not happen.

FdT

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

And I don't think this will work across the board.

Gee ya  think? Confused  Maybe those field hockey players might find learning to skate first a bit of an impediment, and any shooter will be able to ski?  But that's just me being naive and not accepting the power of the the proper proletarian ideology.

Anyway, this guy just named a Taekowndo champion as head of the women's soccer team.

(Actually beyond a handful of skater/cyclists in the 1980s, the closest thing to what he is suggesting these days is bobsled teams recruiting former Olympic sprinters to push the sled down the hill at the beginning of the race, but the odds that State Director Gou knows this seem to be approaching zero).
Iskandar Taib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iskandar Taib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Never thought I'd ever see "444" on a Chinese license plate... Big smile Talk about bad feng shui....

Iskandar
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 11:21pm
Is attempting to implement such a "novel" theory that will disrupt many sports enough to get him ousted, or will the system let him try and fail before he is replaced?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Is attempting to implement such a "novel" theory that will disrupt many sports enough to get him ousted, or will the system let him try and fail before he is replaced?

Yes, that is the million dollar question, that is the thing I am fascinated to see.  Some Chinese speaking TT forumers elsewhere report that he is taking a beating on a lot of Chinese websites.  (As much as they would like to, even the Chinese government cannot completely control the internet).

I am not knowledgeable enough to even hazard a guess as to whether he will survive.  He seems to have been pretty much equally bad in all of his jobs up to now, though, and he is still there.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 11:52pm

I am not knowledgeable enough to even hazard a guess as to whether he will survive.  He seems to have been pretty much equally bad in all of his jobs up to now, though, and he is still there.

Most likely he is a "professional functionary" with really good connections in the upper echelons. Alas, a very very common breed of animal which is present almost in any country wherever you go... too bad you cannot buy a hunting license for that sort...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 12:09am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Most likely he is a "professional functionary" with really good connections in the upper echelons. Alas, a very very common breed of animal which is present almost in any country wherever you go... too bad you cannot buy a hunting license for that sort...

He is in the upper echelons, very high echelons indeed.  He was Vice Mayor of Beijing (a very high position) and at the moment, in addition to being Director of what is essentially the Ministry of Sports (the Chinese equivalent of a Cabinet level position in the US), he is Chairman of the Chinese National Olympic Committee, which is a much more important job in China than it is in the US.  Among other things, he is responsible for preparations for the Winter Olympics that will be held in China not so many years down the road.  That means if he screws up, the country "loses face" and that -- THAT!! -- can NEVER be allowed to happen.  (Recall that the budget for 2008 in Beijing was almost unlimited).  So, he is more than a functionary.  He is a very high ranking Party official and he seems to be a survivor, and his rhetoric -- crazy as it is -- seems pretty well aligned with at least some of the rhetorical tendencies of the current government.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 12:17am
Another thing I should add, though, regarding LGL.  The current Chinese government is extremely focused on ending corruption in government.  That is laudable because it has been a huge problem in the past.  Huge.  (You can see signs of it everywhere).  And they are cracking down hard, and government officials are scared and are changing their ways. 

If they have any evidence at all that LGL was not squeaky clean, that might be part of what is driving this.   (I am saying "if" here, since they are not saying much about LGL other than that the CNT was "inefficient", which is hard to interpret given that they win nearly everything all the time).
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 1:09am
I was wondering why they would support him; at last, if the n#1, 2 and 3 in the world go there to defend him, my ping pong instinct tells me it's probably a good path to take so LGL has got to be good guy or they would not risk their careers; it's actually immensely cool they went his way before the apology; it was a highly emotional good bye, romantic to the extreme and heart breaking, ping pong drama at its best.

Edited by fatt - 06/26/2017 at 1:10am
rl gear ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) feedback
ttTurkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 1:54am

Guo Zhongwen has an unusual theory...

Interesting, so basically it sounds like the players are protesting against some moron who has bumbled his way into a high up job and is now determined to prove the Dunning Kruger Effect.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 2:33am
Yep. Either a moron or a cretin or possibly an imbecile. In any case, National version.
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 5:01am

Guo Zhongwen has an unusual theory that on Google gets translated as "cross-border" which as best as I can tell means that he thinks people in different sports can just cross over to the benefit of both (the kind of Maoist thinking that permeated the Cultural Revolution, which posits that proper ideology can solve any problem).

The obvious conclusion of this theory would be that if its simply limited to sports, you could/should be the coach of any sport, except the one you competed in.

The inanity of the people in power in so many fields/positions never ceases to astound me.

Every time I think we've hit the bottom of the barrel in terms of stupidity from people in enviable positions, they find a way to start scratching the underside of it. They are meant to be the cream.

Edited by Basquests - 06/26/2017 at 5:05am
ttTurkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 5:19am

Yep. Either a moron or a cretin or possibly an imbecile. In any case, National version.

Usually dullness is the simplest explanation for most mishaps, alternatively he may be a bit of a puckish rapscallion.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 5:54am

Another thing I should add, though, regarding LGL.  The current Chinese government is extremely focused on ending corruption in government.  That is laudable because it has been a huge problem in the past.  Huge.  (You can see signs of it everywhere).  And they are cracking down hard, and government officials are scared and are changing their ways. 
Let me add some context. Say you are a communist party official with some access to funds. You've enjoyed a little flutter now and then on your own rmb and you had a bit of fun being called 老板 even after work. Since you're in charge, you divert a little to have a flutter? And so you join one of those special VIP tours to Macau or Singapore that casinos put on just for you. They even lend you the cash to lose because trickling the diverted spigot takes a bit of time. Harmless fun, eh. It's great to be treated like a high-roller; hookers, alcohol, food, gifts, fancy rooms all comp'd. And it ain't your money anyway. And your boss did it; maybe even introduced you to it. And he'll protect you. Besides, you've seen other familiar faces there. And if you win, nobody even needs to cook the books.

Of course, gambling is ultimately a losing zero sum game. And when the communist party finds out, they may ask how you managed to lose so much given your supposed net worth. And it snowballs. You may lose your head depending on how much you've siphoned away over the years. (There have been executions.)

Unlike the above, the following is completely fictitious: now imagine you've been to Singapore, been provided with credit because you're on that VIP gig. And now you're facing interrogation after being recalled. You're a member of the communist party (KLH) -  and LGL is one too! Who went with you? How much money have you lost? Where did you earn that money to lose? Who also has gambled with you in the past? Wait, your endorsements doesn't even cover your debt. And where did all this in your (family/friends/relatives) bank accounts come from? Do you know what happened to X and Y who didn't come clean? Let me show you some pictures. Dude, you need to come clean...

(I'm not saying KLH diverted any funds to try to save his ass; but he must have been pretty desperate. Sincerely hoped he didn't.)

This has been happening for some years now as a high priority. There are dozens of articles each year in mainstream newspapers from around the world. And still some communist party members gamble as if they won't be caught or made an example of. 

Some references from respected newspapers.

On the crackdown: "The vast majority of the high rollers on the VIP junkets were mainland officials and their associates"

“We must seriously investigate and severely punish those companies and individuals involved in enticing and organising Chinese tourists to gamble in overseas casinos” 

Jail sentences for Australians; they got off lightly, and the companies paid the fines.
"Australia's Crown Resorts staff sentenced to jail in China for gambling crimes"

"Chinese Officials Gamble, and Their Luck Runs Out"

Edited by sandiway - 06/26/2017 at 6:32am
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 6:52am
I actually believe in cross-discipline training. Disc throwers and boxers can give some advices to tt players, for example about using body rotation.
But definitelly assigning boxer to be coach to tt players is bad idea, he at best could be assistant to coach in some experimental group.
Equipment database

Viscaria FL
fh: DHS Skyline neo tg2
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 7:42am
Reform always sounds very nice, but what's the point to reform an already extremely successful recipe?
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic